Pro Wrestling Only

2004 Recommendations

- AJ Styles vs Christopher Daniels - IWC Super Indy III (5/8/04)

- America's Most Wanted vs Triple X - TNA Turning Point 2004 (12/5/04)

- AMW vs The Naturals - TNA (7/21/04)

- Rumble Match - WWE Royal Rumble 1/25/04

- Kenta Kobashi vs Jun Akiyama - NOAH 7/10/04

- Chris Hero vs CM Punk - wXw 2/28/04

- Bryan Danielson vs Samoa Joe vs AJ Styles - IWA-MS 9/18/04

ROH

- Samoa Joe vs CM Punk - Joe vs Punk II 10/16/04

- Samoa Joe vs CM Punk - All Star Extravaganza II 12/4/04

- Samoa Joe vs CM Punk - World Title Classic 6/12/04

- Austin Aries vs Samoa Joe - Final Battle 2004 12/26/04

- Generation Next vs Walters/Rave/Briscoes - Generation Next 5/22/04

- Samoa Joe vs Jay Briscoe - At Our Best 3/13/04

- CM Punk vs Bryan Danielson - Reborn Stage One 4/23/04

- AJ Styles vs CM Punk - At Our Best 3/13/04

Last two MLW shows were "Reload Tour" on January 9th and 10th.

Day 1 is mostly meh, but the main event is a good Low Ki v Homicide. Aftermatch has Gary Hart and some....stuff, but the match is legitimately good and worth watching.

Day 2 was pretty solid with a small handful of worthwhile matches. But as far as the yearbook goes, might only want to include Funk v Corino, and just MAYYYYYY wantto look at Ki v Chad Collyer.

• 4 months later...

I primarily watched ROH and other indies during this time. Here is a list of ROH recommendations that haven't already been listed. I might add some other indies later.

ROH

Homicide vs Bryan Danielson - Reborn: Stage Two 4/24/04

- I remember some talk soon after this match happened that it was possibly the best ROH match at this point. Unfortunately it seemed to be lost in the shuffle after the Joe vs Punk series happened. I really enjoy this match and think it is worth a watch.

The Briscoes vs Second City Saints - Reborn: Stage Two 4/24/04

- A great tag-team match and Punk's first title win in ROH.

Mark Briscoe vs Colt Cabana vs Austin Aries vs Homicide vs Bryan Danielson vs Samoa Joe - Survival of the Fittest 6/24/04

- The first in what would become yearly tradition for ROH. In my opinion, this is the best Survival of the Fittest that ROH ever put on and the breakout match of Austin Aries.

CM Punk & Ace Steel vs Dan Maff & BJ Whitmer - Death Before Dishonor 2: Part Two 7/24/04

- A great hardcore match that ended the Second City Saints vs The Prophecy feud. Quite possibly the best street fight in ROH history.

Austin Aries vs Bryan Danielson - Testing the Limit 8/7/04

- Another match that showcases the potential of Austin Aries. Quite a lengthy match, but it is worth watching.

Samoa Joe vs Bryan Danielson - Midnight Express Reunion 10/2/04

- This is another match that I think has been unfortunately forgotten. I thought it was awesome and was better than the first Joe/Punk match and better than any of the Joe/Danielson matches from their feud in '06.

• 3 months later...

1/4 Goldberg vs. Naoya Ogawa (Hustle)

2/4 Tamura vs. Kohsaka (U-Style)

2/22 Tenyru vs. Fuchi (All Japan)

2/22 Hayashi vs. Taka (All Japan)

2/22 Hashimoto vs. Kawada (All Japan)

4/25 Takayama vs. Kobashi (NOAH)

6/25 Necro Butcher vs. Toby Klein (IWA-MS King of the Death Matches)

7/24 Collyer vs. Romero (ROH)

8/13 Santo vs. Perro Jr. (CMLL)

8/18 Tamura vs. Ito (U-Style)

9/10 Taue vs. Kobashi (NOAH)

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Goodhelmet started doing MOTY sets in 2005.

As someone looking to purchase these sets in the future, definitely would be keen to see these continue to the modern day. I feel like MOTY sets are not really an alternative to the yearbooks being geared towards different purposes (the very best vs all the major happenings). I suppose with me really becoming a die hard fan from 2003 on I'd love to see them eventually in the distant future.

Another part of it is that wrestling angles and promos haven't been great in a long time. I'm not entirely sure the bloom wasn't already off the rose by the end of 2004, actually, but we'll see.

I guess it really comes down to the individual. I know I'm in the minority but since I started watching in 98 as a kid and really found by love of the business around the 03/04 stretch which seems to be the time a lot of people here really fell out of it, and as a result have more interest in that than say the pre-85 stuff. I guess it would be cool for the sake of completeness to have one for every year, at least in terms of the major companies (WWE, TNA, ROH etc) in a more abridged project. But it's obviously a long way away still. Keep up the great work! I don't want to sound like I'm complaining about it, because what you have so far is already an awesome amount of content!

No, I don't take it as complaining at all. In fact, I think it's worth having a dialogue about if you feel strongly about it. I just wonder if there was anything appealing about wrestling by that point other than the in-ring. I welcome viewpoints of those who see it differently.

No, I don't take it as complaining at all. In fact, I think it's worth having a dialogue about if you feel strongly about it. I just wonder if there was anything appealing about wrestling by that point other than the in-ring. I welcome viewpoints of those who see it differently.

I think there's definitely a fair few great feuds over that time period from my view. Especially from a few hot stretches. Once we get to that point I'd be happy to compile a list of ideas.

I have to think there's enough that's good, important or at a minimum reflective of the period and where the product both was at the time and was going that you'd want it recorded for posterity. I think the format is phenomenal and while it can be tweaked to reflect the quality of of what's available, from a historical perspective people will want to look back on what was big or dominating at the time. Just my 2 cents.

I have to think there's enough that's good, important or at a minimum reflective of the period and where the product both was at the time and was going that you'd want it recorded for posterity. I think the format is phenomenal and while it can be tweaked to reflect the quality of of what's available, from a historical perspective people will want to look back on what was big or dominating at the time. Just my 2 cents.

I also feel that if these yearbooks are made, they might provide the opportunity for those previously turned off from the product around the 03/04 frame to rediscover what happenned here and potentially appreciate it - somewhat similar to the manner in which Will was talking about 1990 on his podcast.

I also feel that if these yearbooks are made, they might provide the opportunity for those previously turned off from the product around the 03/04 frame to rediscover what happenned here and potentially appreciate it - somewhat similar to the manner in which Will was talking about 1990 on his podcast.

If goodhelmet wanted to release the sets, I'd support that. I would just not be interested in serving as the guy who pours over match lists, existing footage and sentiment at the time to figure out what should go on. But if someone else wanted to take on that role, I would be supportive and think it was great.

If goodhelmet wanted to release the sets, I'd support that. I would just not be interested in serving as the guy who pours over match lists, existing footage and sentiment at the time to figure out what should go on. But if someone else wanted to take on that role, I would be supportive and think it was great.

I'd definitely be out of my league when it came to all the other promotions out there, but way down the track if the time comes I'll be happy to suggest stuff from WWE and TNA

The thought of extended yearbooks has certainly crossed my mind but the biggest restraint I see is the lack of variety from wrestling promos except WWE/TNA. I believe cherry picking the best WWE promo stuff from this year would probably be comparable to the 1993-1994 stuff for the most part, but one thing that is refreshing with a yearbook is that you are usually only 20-30 minutes away from a different promotion or landscape to check out. Even some subpar stuff like some ECW or a lackluster USWA tv episode is refreshing when you have watched 1-2 hours of Japan and lucha footage. I think you could get by somewhat by just mixing in the different kind of indies but I am not sure how it would look from a end product standpoint. I understand having "wrestling history" displayed in this format is very appealing to myself and there is a ton of hidden gems I have never heard of before my yearbook watching.