Pro Wrestling Only

Lanny Poffo - greatest ever camp/effeminate heel?

JerryvonKramer

Had to respond to this from Nominees, and disagree years later, for future generations: 

gocI like Poffo and I think he was really good in his role but at the same time I don't see him as a "guy who didn't get the push he deserved." He was a fun undercard worker who could sometimes surprise you with a really good performance. I don't think he was really someone who could have or should have been pushed much higher than that.

I definitely think that part of why he didn't get more traction is that his high flying stuff, especially his moonsault looks incredibly light. His moonsault often looks like it couldn't break an egg and if you're the smaller guy using high flying stuff to even the odds it needs to at least look painful especially during that era particularly in a territory like Mid-South.

Watch Lanny's MSG run in 1985. He seems like a time travelling AEW wrestler who transported back into time. His matches with Terry Funk and next month with Iron Mike Sharpe in August are absolutely amazing. I'm sure I will see more hidden gems from him. Lanny was surely someone who was underpushed, considering he got decent pops and kept fans engaged even as a perennial jobber. He was very aggressive in the Iron Mike bout and pulled out lots of exciting high flying moves (did not do the moonsault). Considering how WWF had one of the worse workrates in the country, Lanny really stood out on house shows, along with the Bulldogs- outperforming the lazy veterans.