Pro Wrestling Only

Would Shawn Michaels Make Your Personal Top 100?

Dylan Waco

This comes up enough and I know some people hate it but we could at least have a master thread for it and try and discuss this intelligently.

I want to broach the topic in the form of a question - if we were doing another Greatest Wrestler Ever poll would Michaels make your top hundred? We can bring the comparisons in from there and talk about him up against other guys, et.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Shawn is the ultimate litmus test of whether you place greater value on little things or the big picture. A Shawn match isn't going to have a bunch of nifty moments (or if it does, they come from the other guy), but it works if you look at it as a cohesive whole. I'm a big picture guy, so I rank Shawn very highly. Top 20 for sure, and a dark horse pick for top 10.

Possibly. But he wouldn't make my top 50 for sure, and he probably wouldn't make my top 75.

I made a list of wrestlers that just came to mind. There may be others, but these I know for sure I'd have higher than Shawn. 67 wrestlers listed below that would be locks. If there was someone I had to give any thought to beyond just "definitely yes", I didn't list them.

Aja Kong

Akira Hokuto

Akira Taue

Arn Anderson

Atlantis

Barry Windham

Blue Panther

Bobby Eaton

Brian Pillman

Bull Nakano

Chigusa Nagayo

Cien Caras

Daisuke Ikeda

Dan Kroffat

Devil Masami

Dick Togo

Dynamite Kansai

El Dandy

El Hijo del Santo

El Satanico

Genichiro Tenryu

Gran Hamada

Great Sasuke

Hayabusa

Hiroshi Hase

Jerry Lawler

Jumbo Tsuruta

Jushin Liger

Juventud Guerrera

Kazuo Yamazaki

Kenta Kobashi

Kiyoshi Tamura

La Parka

Lioness Asuka

Manami Toyota

Masa Fuchi

Mitsuharu Misawa

MS-1

Negro Casas

Pirata Morgan

Psicosis

Randy Savage

Ric Flair

Ricky Steamboat

Riki Choshu

Sakie Hasegawa

Shinjiro Otani

Shinya Hashimoto

Stan Hansen

Steve Austin

Steve Williams

Steven Regal

Taka Michinoku

Takako Inoue

Tatsumi Fujinami

Terry Funk

Terry Gordy

Toshiaki Kawada

Toshiyo Yamada

Tsuyoshi Kikuchi

Tully Blanchard

Vader

Volk Han

Yoji Anjo

Yoshihiro Takayama

Yuki Ishikawa

Yumiko Hotta

I'm certain he wouldn't make my top 100 if it was all encompassing. Far too many good Lucha workers would bump a lot of guys out that made my original list. Combine that with the explosion of Portland footage, someone like Jim Breaks who I hadn't watched at all at the time of the last poll (and possibly other Euro candidates like Marty Jones for example), seeing all the AWA, other 80's Sets, et and there are too many guys who have surged ahead of Shawn for him to even be a strong contender for me at this point.

If it was U.S. only he would have a chance as I am possibly the biggest Rockers fan on Earth and I appreciate enough of his pre-comeback work even if I think some of it is really overrated. Still I'm not sure.

The problem I have with Shawn is that I feel that he peaked very, very early and I really dislike most of his post-comeback work (I seem to recall thinking he was inexplicably pretty good in 2007 or some random period like that) including a lot of the stuff that even critics of his have enjoyed on some level. There are probably no more than seven or eight years where I would rate Shawn as a good worker and I'm not sure I'd rate him as a great worker for more than two or three. This is really not bad, but I don't think it's all timer level and there are a lot of guys I'd have him behind.

We discussed this on the 96 yearbook podcast but Shawn was really booked and presented terribly in 96. You don't have to be a fan of his, much less an apologist for him to recognize that he was cast in a light where backlash in certain areas was inevitable.

Having said that I do think that the greatness of Shawn's 96 has been heavily mythologized in some quarters. I don't even think he was the best U.S. worker that year.

Considering I'd have no problem finding at least 25 american wrestlers, 25 japanese wrestlers and 25 woman wrestler better than Shawn, and considering I have no doubt there are easily 25 mexican wrestler better than him, Shawn probably wouldn't make my top 100 at this point.

I don't even think he was the best U.S. worker that year.

He wasn't even the best guy in the company. Austin, Foley, Vader (and Bret if he had stayed all year long) were better than him. If you add people from ECW like Douglas, Scorp, Whipreck, people from WCW like Rey, Benoit, Eddie, Juvy, Psic, Regal, I doubt Shawn would even make my top 10 US workers this year to be honest.

I think that is probably a stretch.

I am certain I would have him behind Scorp and Rey. Child killer feels lateral to me. I am pretty fucking high on Mikey and could see a case for him over Shawn that year. No way on Juvy and I think Regal is a guy who lacks the matches offhand. With Dean I'd say it's fairly lateral, maybe a slight edge to Shawn without seeing the B-Shows. What Eddy and Psicois am I forgetting?

I've said it before but I would take Sting's body of work over Shawn Michaels due to the internal consistency of Sting matches and I tend to think that the Sting/Vader matches is better than Shawn's best stuff. I also think Sting/Meng is a better underdog beats the unstoppable monster from a logic stand point than most of Shawn's underdog vs. unstoppable monster matches.

With that said, in a top 100. I could safely see him in the 40-75 range depending on my mood and whoever I'm forgetting at the moment I would make the list.

Just going to do this in batches of 10 as they come to mind. See how far I can go before I'm not confident that I don't rate Shawn higher without being dishonest to myself.

This will be more difficult for me than most because 1. I don't have 90s Japanese stuff to draw from, or Lucha, period. 2. I actually rate Michaels quite highly, I just don't see him in a GOAT discussion. Let's see what happens ...

Funk

Hansen

Jumbo

Tenyru

Yatsu (why not? He's in some of the greatest matches I've ever seen in my life and possesses one of my all-time favourite offensive arsenals)

Choshu

Kawada

Bockwinkel

Martel

Race

Hogan

Andre

DiBiase

Savage

Hennig

Rude

Austin

Angle

Bobby Heenan (seriously!! Love Heenan in the ring)

Steamboat

Flair

Arn

Tully

Windham

Sting (may get flak for this, but I'm willing to argue it)

Vader

Regal

Eaton

Morton

Lawler

Pillman

Dusty Rhodes (this one is borderline, it's about working a crowd and maximum babyface sympathy against, basically, superior workrate - tough one, I can't justify putting Jake here, for example, so not sure on this)

The Rock

Benoit

Eddie Guerrero

Chavo Guerrero (borderline - loved the Mr. Olympia match on MidSouth set, like him a lot generally as a worker, if you asked me right now whether I'd prefer to watch, say, Rick Martel against Shawn or against Chavo, I'd pick Chavo ... but I need to see more really)

2 Cold Scorpio

Foley

Rey (borderline - I'm much less high on Rey than basically everyone else here, largely oweing to the fact I don't watch the current product, this is based on WCW and WWE up until 2003ish)

Honestly, starting to struggle now.

I think that Shawn would have to come somewhere after the names listed above in the 40s. I'd put him above Owen Hart and a lot of guys who I considered over the past hour.

All this says to me though, is that I need to see more stuff. That's not to say that watching any of Will's sets is NECESSARILY going to place guys above Shawn. No one from MidSouth, for example, that wasn't already making this list is here. But it may expand the pool. Come December and I'd probably have AWA guys like Jerry Blackwell and Buddy Rose above him, maybe Slaughter, maybe Patera. Possibly Billy Robinson too if he's anywhere near as good as his one showing on the All Japan set.

But as things stand as of right now, Shawn is probably ranking about 41 or 42 for me.

Since everyone else seems to be doing it, I'll post my list. The only wrestlers I'd place above Shawn for certain are Jumbo, Misawa, Kawada, Funk, Kobashi, Flair, Bret, Eddy, and Hansen. After that, there's a big logjam consisting of Shawn, Lawler, Austin, Vader, Steamboat, Aja, Liger, and Santo which could go in any order depending on my mood. So I guess I'd have Shawn 10th at best and 17th at worst.

Dusty is a guy who suffers from the vast majority of his available matches being from when he was either past his prime or way past his prime. From what's available he comes off as a deceptively athletic, tremendous all around worker in the '70s who started to slip as his weight ballooned.

I feel like we really haven't had a good Dusty discussion. And especially Dusty in the 80s. When athleticism has gone past. I was watching Dusty vs Arn in the cage last night from 1/86, and was thinking how differently he did things from Hogan and if Hogan would even be the best point of comparison.

I would take Dusty over Shawn easily. Better charisma, more compelling in even bad matches, better logic and he sold beatings better. I haven't actually watched Dusty for awhile. I remember really loving him when I was knee deep in 1985-1986 NWA a couple of years ago.

For the most part, I don't think you should use the 80s sets to ever evaluate one wrestler against another.

Why?

If you are someone who believes in evaluating peak v. peak the 80's Sets are as good a comparative tool as I can imagine.

If you are someone who weighs all things - which admittedly I am - I can see the flaws as you have to start considering things like selection bias, consistency, et.

But the point isn't "I saw a few good matches from wrestler x on an 80's set so now I rate him above Shawn." It's more "I saw a ton Mr. Saito from WWF, AWA, AJPW and NJPW in the last couple of years and I have watched a lot of older WWF in the last several years and I would rate him above Shawn."

I'll post a broader list later.

For the most part, I don't think you should use the 80s sets to ever evaluate one wrestler against another.

Why?

If you are someone who believes in evaluating peak v. peak the 80's Sets are as good a comparative tool as I can imagine.

Peak vs. peak to me doesn't mean top matches vs top matches. It means comparing one guy's prime to another guy's prime. You can't get a good grasp of a worker by watching a number of cherry picked matches for a Best of a promotion set.

If you are someone who weighs all things - which admittedly I am - I can see the flaws as you have to start considering things like selection bias, consistency, et.

But the point isn't "I saw a few good matches from wrestler x on an 80's set so now I rate him above Shawn." It's more "I saw a ton Mr. Saito from WWF, AWA, AJPW and NJPW in the last couple of years and I have watched a lot of older WWF in the last several years and I would rate him above Shawn."

Well, I think the former reaction is far more common. It's not really just about Shawn but any WWF/WCW wrestlers where all the footage has been examined. You watch the top 15 Chris Adams matches on the Texas set or the top 15 Murdoch matches in Mid-South, they might come off as better workers than say someone like Davey Boy Smith. On the other hand, if all people had on DBS were a select few matches against Bret, Owen, Shawn, and Vader, I'd imagine he would be looked at more favorably than he is now. I seriously doubt more than a minority of people here or on the DVDVR boards have gone through all the WCCW TV/Ft. Worth/Legends shows or all of the Mid-South House Shows/TV/UWF TV/PPW shows. This is nothing I can prove definitively but I would guess people have formed opinions on these workers simply based on the limited footage on the 80's sets.