Ring of Honor Wrestling

Coffey

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I watched the Field of Honor show. I thought it was a good show. Strong/Okada was really good. I also liked Daniels/Cole a good bit. Dalton Castle came across as a mega star. When he was eliminated from the gauntlet match , the match lost its heart and became just another match. I also thought visually it was a fun show to watch. Had a real AWA feel with the stadium. I felt it was the most consistent show all weekend, but the NXT special was better . I also thought Summerslam was better.

I watched the Field of Honor show. I thought it was a good show. Strong/Okada was really good. I also liked Daniels/Cole a good bit. Dalton Castle came across as a mega star. When he was eliminated from the gauntlet match , the match lost its heart and became just another match. I also thought visually it was a fun show to watch. Had a real AWA feel with the stadium

Yeah I'd concur with this. Cool setting, some matches felt more like house matches but Strong/Okada broke the mould. Bushwacker Luke was a nice "haha, what?" moment, but I too want Dalton Castle to win everything he takes part in. I wonder if that'll be Alex Shelley's last match on this card too, with him suffering broken teeth and his family pressuring him to quit.

Also worth mentioning the Bucks who turned the obnoxiousness up to 12 in their ~movez~ match. I feel like I'm totally alone in the world not adoring or despising the Bucks, but when they go all the way it is a laugh.

Appreciate the recap, Pete. I wanted to wait & see what the consensus was before I considered scoping out the show. Hell, I'm just now getting through Takeover and SummerSlam in full.

I'm particularly interested in seeing how Cole is transitioning, and I'm probably a bigger fan of Bad Influence / late stage "I finally found my personality and sense of showmanship" Christopher Daniels than most. So I'm curious to see how that one panned out.

Not that I was expecting them to or anything, but it's a shame they didn't run with Dalton Castle. The stakes aren't so high in the gauntlet that they couldn't afford to switch things up there, but hopefully they take note & position him stronger moving forward. Did his elimination noticeably deflate the crowd, or was it just a case of the match feeling bland without him left alive in the fight?

And agreed on all points about Roddy. I'm a HUGE fan of Strong, for sure. But I gave up on him growing into a better talker a long, long time ago. It just isn't happening. But that's fine. Like it or not, that's not everyone's forte. There's nothing wrong with accepting the stronger (and weaker) attributes of certain individuals and just rolling with it. Doesn't mean Strong can't be a quality heel. He's been proving that in PWG for a year-plus now.

Roddy's got the mannerisms, the gestures, and the in-ring heel shtick in spades. He doesn't have to talk. And he's a perfectly fine fiery babyface just the same without speaking. I fear for the future of a Kyle O'Reilly singles push in the same way, because the guy's actually got a great, fun personality within his matches that can play to the crowd and keep them engaged. But he isn't meant to make any bold proclamations backstage or anything.

And truthfully, ROH knows what they've got with these guys. I don't understand why they'd insist on exposing them in situations like that.

I'm particularly interested in seeing how Cole is transitioning, and I'm probably a bigger fan of Bad Influence / late stage "I finally found my personality and sense of showmanship" Christopher Daniels than most. So I'm curious to see how that one panned out.

Not that I was expecting them to or anything, but it's a shame they didn't run with Dalton Castle. The stakes aren't so high in the gauntlet that they couldn't afford to switch things up there, but hopefully they take note & position him stronger moving forward. Did his elimination noticeably deflate the crowd, or was it just a case of the match feeling bland without him left alive in the fight?

Yeah, I mean I think the entrants after Dalton, Silas and Bushwacker were like Moose, Dijak, Watanabe. Not a huge amount for the crowd to react to other than doing the 'Moose' chant in his entrance

Their was also Alexander. The gauntlet was so frustrating though. With Castle he was over. After the 1st match they injured him so now they have this great story of him fighting valiantly against the odds. The 2nd person in was Kaz and he just worked over Dalton's bad injured neck. It was like they had this really amazing story the 1st 1//2. Then had no idea what to do to end this.

This looks like the line up for the ppv.

1. Silas Young vs. Dalton Castle with Young getting possession of The Boys if he wins

2.Cedric Alexander vs. Moose in a no DQ match

3.ACH vs. Matt Sydal in match three of a best-of-five

4.Mark & Jay Briscoe vs. a mystery team

5. Michael Elgin vs. A.J. Styles vs. Roderick Strong vs. Adam Cole in a match where the winner gets an ROH title shot

6. Christopher Daniels & Frankie Kazarian defend the tag titles in a three-way against Matt Taven & Michael Bennett and The Young Bucks

7.Jay Lethal vs. Bobby Fish for the TV title

8. Lethal vs. Kyle O’Reilly for the ROH title headlines

I'm curious on who the mystery tag team will be against the Briscoes. If it was anyone that meant a lot it would be announced. War Machine, and KES will be in Japan for Noah. Overall, it looks like a pretty strong card. Maybe some new member teaming with Page for The Decade.

Based on the new stip that Silas becomes one of Dalton's Boys if he loses, as opposed to Silas getting control of them if he wins, I can honestly say I'm not sure which outcome I'd like to see more. That's some pretty sweet character development and booking when you can get me to want both possibilities.

I really hated that Bucks, Sydal, ACH vs RPG Vice and Kingdom match from Field Of Honor. I typically love wacky multi-man matches, but they did so much stuff where I just rolled my eyes in that match. I thought Okada/Strong and Elgin/Goto were both really good. Cole/Daniels was a solid opener.

I'm starting to think we'll be getting O'Reilly vs Cole at Final Battle for the World Title

I really hated that Bucks, Sydal, ACH vs RPG Vice and Kingdom match from Field Of Honor. I typically love wacky multi-man matches, but they did so much stuff where I just rolled my eyes in that match. I thought Okada/Strong and Elgin/Goto were both really good. Cole/Daniels was a solid opener.

I'm starting to think we'll be getting O'Reilly vs Cole at Final Battle for the World Title

I hated that match at Field of Honor also. What a waste of talent.

I also liked the show show on Wednesday night. Lethal/Hanson and even Briscoe/Page weren't bad. The commentary during Brutal Bob/Cheeseburger was atrocious though. They were having a decent match but Corino and Kelly were treating it like that 1999 WCW luchador hardcore match. The finish really put it over the top.

I just figured out that I know Cheeseburger, he was a dude I used to chat with on another board back when he was first training. I don't understand the hate for him, aside from the general "small guys suck!" bias that seems forever programmed into wrestling psychology. He's certainly no tinier than Spike Dudley or Mysterio. And unless you were the most-obscure-tape obsessed trader in the world, you never saw Spike or Rey when they were as green as Cheeseburger is now; he's only two years in, he's got plenty of time for improvement.