Pro Wrestling Only

Ring of Honor Wrestling

Coffey

ROH's lowest lows came at a time when everyone was made to be "super serious athlete" types, devoid of almost any unique qualities or colorful personalities whatsoever. I'm somewhat surprised that the fan base would still be even remotely opposed to that stuff after such a dark period there for awhile.

It was the drizzling shits - to the point where you could check out the main event or one match from a show & pretty much get your fill, because the rest of the card was basically the same characters working the same spots and running the same angles.

It was a total absence of diversity - and variety is crucial to building any great wrestling card, let alone a TV show.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been working through 2014. TV and the big house shows. I really enjoy the inring product but holy shit do Kevin Kelly and Steve Corino ruin everything. I've been in a real groove the last two weeks and I want to take a break because Corino is just so fucking obnoxious whenever I watch the big shows. It's just frustrating to see such a good product get totally derailed by two idiots in the booth.

The announcing is beyond terrible, Look at SCI that Dylan has pimped all over the place. Dan Wilson, and Al Getz do a tremendous job of getting the talent over, their history, big wins etc for the tournament. This should have been happening right when ROH got on destination America. The announcing is actively hurting the promotion.

What are they talking about? I never watch the show (and I ain't gonna start), but I'm curious as to exactly what these guys are saying to earn everyone's displeasure. Especially in a world where the WWE's infamously terrible announcing would, I'd assume, make almost any indy guys sound better in comparison.

They're trying to pop each other. They're terrible at calling the action. Dalton Castle is a babyface that they portray as a weirdo. Instead of calling the action they become part of the act. Like Corino having a man crush on Adam Cole. Not good at explaining people's motivations. Plus with annoincers they come into your living room so they should have a likability to them. they aren't likable. Corino at times pretends Kevin wants to replace him so he comes across as sad and desperate.

The Cheeseburger hate has less to do with his size than it does with dumb bells thinking "ROH is REAL wrestling and guys like him shouldn't be there" and related stupidity.

Never mind that during what's considered the "glory years" of the DVD sales era, undercards had Colt Cabana, Delirious, The Carnage Crew, and the Ring Crew Express.

Man, that era where the main event rotation was Davey Richards, Eddie Edwards, and Roderick Strong was the bad variation of the word "brutal"

The Cheeseburger hate has less to do with his size than it does with dumb bells thinking "ROH is REAL wrestling and guys like him shouldn't be there" and related stupidity.

Never mind that during what's considered the "glory years" of the DVD sales era, undercards had Colt Cabana, Delirious, The Carnage Crew, and the Ring Crew Express.

Man, that era where the main event rotation was Davey Richards, Eddie Edwards, and Roderick Strong was the bad variation of the word "brutal"

And they made Grizzly Redwood stop using his gimmick on shows. Wow, was Jim Cornette a shitty booker.

I don't really watch but can't remember seeing anything positive written ANYWHERE about Kevin Kelly during his tenure in ROH. It's not like he was a great announcer in his time with WWF either. It's pretty surprising to me that he's lasted so long after they got rid of Cornette.

I find The Addiction's ring gear confusing. Daniels wears a Nazi general's uniform, which I'm not entirely comfortable with. Kazarian dresses like a biker with a bandana and denim jacket, and they are accompanied by Sabin who always looks like he just got out of bed after sleeping in his clothes. And their tights don't match. Tag Teams should have matching tights. Back in my day, teams wore matching tights, some of them with black and yellow stripes, with matching masks. Many had their names clearly marked on their gear, making it easy to identify who they were, and what team they were affiliated with. It was much less confusing.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched this weeks ROH tv on DA. It was the Field of Honor show with Strong/Okada and the Briscoes/Time Splitters. I Liked both matches and the atmosphere. It was just sad seeing all the empty seats. I realize they were running opposite NXT Brooklyn. The volume of the commentary continues to be crap on these shows. How is Bobby Cruise louder than Kelly and Corino?

Running in a baseball/football stadium always leaves the impression that the crowd is smaller than it really is. Even on the big WCCW cards at the Cotton Bowl you would see a ton of empty seats which would make the crowd look smaller than the 12,000 it was in 84 and the 26,000 they had in 1985.