Ring of Honor Wrestling

Coffey

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd imagine that Colby is in it as part of the Decade storyline, not because of nepotism.

Sure , I get that , but nepotism is why he is in the decade storyline in the first place.

So they should have gotten some "deserving" guy to play the role of Steve Corino's son?

There should not even be a story line for " Corino's " son . We can go around and around. I just don ' t think wrestlers children deserve special treatment. Corino should work smaller promotions for a few years. He should also build up his body he way too small and needs at least 20 pounds of muscle. I don't think his career should be fast tracked because he is Steve Corino 's son. Let him pay his dues. Give his spot to someone who is ready .

That is just my opinion .

Hard to disagree with most of what you said, but it's the world and who you know is important, this is not unique to wrestling. Colby Corino being in a prospect's tournament makes sense, even if there are better actual prospects out there, and it helps them run a story line. Not like he's going to be world champ by year's end because he's Steve Corino's son.

I'd imagine that Colby is in it as part of the Decade storyline, not because of nepotism.

Sure , I get that , but nepotism is why he is in the decade storyline in the first place.

So they should have gotten some "deserving" guy to play the role of Steve Corino's son?

There should not even be a story line for " Corino's " son . We can go around and around. I just don ' t think wrestlers children deserve special treatment. Corino should work smaller promotions for a few years. He should also build up his body he way too small and needs at least 20 pounds of muscle. I don't think his career should be fast tracked because he is Steve Corino 's son. Let him pay his dues. Give his spot to someone who is ready .

I can understand where you're coming from but Colby has been training since 2001 and wrestling regularly since 2009 just because he's young doesn't mean he hasn't paid his dues. How long does he have to work smaller shows before he's allowed in the top prospect tourney? Lio Rush who no one is saying shouldn't be in only started in 2014

I'll also do a quick comparison of Steve & Colby Corino for you Colby let's say got his "big break" joining ROH full time last year just before his birthday but let's just call it 18 to be fair to people who want to dislike his situation at that point he had 6 years of in-ring experience. Steve joined ECW in 1998 at the ripe old age of 25 only 7 years older and with a staggering 4 years of in-ring experience yes you read that right he was older yet some how had 2 years less experience in similar locally run small show. When Steve come in to ECW he had little in the way of physique I'll give you he was thicker than Colby is now and Steve was obviously a better talker but Colby does have a natural charisma. So I'd say some people maybe mad that seeing a guy like Colby getting a chance makes you upset less because he's undeserving and more because he's done so much whIle being so young and some people might be threatened by that because it makes them feel like they are old and wasting their lives.

So Colby has been "training" since he was 5 years old??

Colby had a match as a five year old for UWC, a small indie promotion in New Jersey that I used to work for and have plugged on this board in the past. He teamed with his dad and wrestled Reckless Youth and Don Montoya, and later worked a singles match against Montoya. It was total gimmick and was more about the other guys, but they were matches that did happen. And yes, Montoya did the job in both matches. :) He later did a match or two as an early teenager, 13-14, where he obviously was able to do a lot more. So he's been around a while.

Well the fucking point of the storyline is that Corino's "nearly untrained, hardly ready" kid who "hates his Dad" is being used and abused by Corino's arch enemy with promises of a career and opportunities. It's a great story. It's fucking Memphis 101, and i'd imagine you of all people would see that.

Do you hate that Raven brainwashed Sandman's actual son who didn't earn his spot and there were better child actors out there who deserved a shot?

I don't see the big deal in Colby getting a spot. The whole point of the TPT, in theory, is that these young and hungry wrestlers full of P&V want to prove themselves and earn a spot in ROH. Colby fits the bill of a young wrestler, who hasn't really had a chance to show what he can do yet. So what's the problem?

Well the fucking point of the storyline is that Corino's "nearly untrained, hardly ready" kid who "hates his Dad" is being used and abused by Corino's arch enemy with promises of a career and opportunities. It's a great story. It's fucking Memphis 101, and i'd imagine you of all people would see that.

Do you hate that Raven brainwashed Sandman's actual son who didn't earn his spot and there were better child actors out there who deserved a shot?

I started watching Memphis wrestling in 1970 . I have seen the Colby Corino story line many times. I watch ROH for quality matches, not tired out story lines. I have over a 100 hours of Memphis to watch . I enjoy the Memphis product , but I don';t want to see ROH go down that road. I want quality ring work from ROH.

Maybe Steve should take off his belt and whip Colby on TV . Like Bill and Jamie Dundee did in the 90's. ROH does not need these type of story lines , they need to focus on the in ring product.. Like I said it is just my opinion , that does not mean I am right or wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Hanson had a TV title shot against Lethal last summer, so it's not like it's the first time (or even the first time in a long time) that they've dipped into the tag division for title contenders. I don't know that Nick Jackson is a guy that jumps off the page as a great candidate from that group, but the Bucks are one of the more consistently over acts that regularly appear on RoH TV, so it makes sense to give a match like this a shot.

My point isn't that Nick Jackson getting a tv title shot is out of the question but they are running this "Roddy vs the world" story and he's been facing out-there opponents so, in a way you made my point for me Nick Jackson is a guy that would be getting a title shot in normal ROH story therefore they are already running out of interesting and different challengers for him.

My point isn't that Nick Jackson getting a tv title shot is out of the question but they are running this "Roddy vs the world" story and he's been facing out-there opponents so, in a way you made my point for me Nick Jackson is a guy that would be getting a title shot in normal ROH story therefore they are already running out of interesting and different challengers for him.

He wrestled Cheeseburger Saturday night. That alone should be enough indication that they're already out of good ideas.

ROH is fading because the WWE is taking all of the talent via NXT or Evolve. ROH has lost out on Peter Kassa , Matt Riddle, Tracy Williams ,Fred Yehi , Timothy Thatcher, Drew Galloway , Ethan Page , Zack Sabre , JR. , Tommy End , Chris Hero , Johnny Gargano , Biff Busick , Tommaso Ciampa , Samoa Joe , Austin Aries and Uhaa Nation just in the past 1 or 1 1/2 year . Now AJ Styles , Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows are gone.

ROH has picked up TNA/ WWE releases Matt Sydal , Christopher Daniels , Frankie Kazarian and Chris Sabin . However , Sydal refuses to sign a contract , Sabin is always hurt and the other two are past their prime .

The last two years of tryout camps have results in Donovan Dijak , Dalton Castle , Raymond Rowe and Hanson . Dijak and Castle have the potential to draw money.

The big gets were securing the services the Young Bucks and Alex Shelly , who are also NJPW talents. It is clear that the NXT / Evolve duo is taking a large chunk of available talent out of the market , which is leaving ROH with a stagnant product . ROH needs to go and book talent like Chuck Taylor , Mike Bailey , Chris Dickinson and Kenny Omega to inject some excitement into the product.

Kenny Omega

New around these parts?

Roh had Monster Mafia (Josh Alexander and Ethan Page) both willing to sign and they choice not to because they wouldn't go to a pay to play training camp and that was before WWEvolve was snatching everyone up, they had Austin Aries come back for 1 show, had Willie Mack, AR Fox, Corey Holis, and Jonathan Gresham have "try-outs" that went nowhere, and worst of all they could have used Ricochet but chose not too. The problem isn't the talent getting stolen it's that ROH doesn't seem to see what talent they should be going after even when it's right in front of them.

Kenny Omega

New around these parts?

Roh had Monster Mafia (Josh Alexander and Ethan Page) both willing to sign and they choice not to because they wouldn't go to a pay to play training camp and that was before WWEvolve was snatching everyone up, they had Austin Aries come back for 1 show, had Willie Mack, AR Fox, Corey Holis, and Jonathan Gresham have "try-outs" that went nowhere, and worst of all they could have used Ricochet but chose not too. The problem isn't the talent getting stolen it's that ROH doesn't seem to see what talent they should be going after even when it's right in front of them.

Bingo.

There is/has been talent that has been right there for the picking and they've chosen against it for some reason or another. At least we've got Beer City Bruiser.

Kenny Omega

New around these parts?

Also they have Dalton Castle, who should be the man they build behind, but just aren't. The dude is money.

• 2 weeks later...