Pro Wrestling Only

Ring of Honor Wrestling

Coffey

Is there any reason ROH seems to keep women around to work houseshows/dark matches but never puts them on TV? It made it look weird on TV this week when Veda came out in her wrestling gear to second Moose for his match.

They are working on a "Women of Honor" show as of right now they shot a pilot and are putting the matches on youtube with the idea being that at some point SBG will put it on TV

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The difference could be that SBG wouldn't be looking for a major hit just more decently rated programming for their affiliates so as long as it did close to the numbers ROH already does and they basically just record it during the regular TV tapings they would probably just green light it and let it run forever much like they would do with ROH

I was surprised how much Kongo got in the match; it was odd since Kongo wasn't established at all with the ROH crowd.

I've been doing reviews of the last month of ROH TV over at PTBN - posted my thoughts on this past week earlier today:

http://placetobenation.com/ring-of-honor-tv-episode-233-recap/

Really liked the TPT final.

Fury is way better than Daniels at "desperate veteran asshole". Or Whitmer.

He's got a good story too to back it up. 17 years - finally getting his break. Not going to fuck around. Cheap shots, grabbing the ropes. Went into the tournament with him as an afterthought and while they *do* have a bunch of those type of heels, hope he gets to stick around.

Plus their is talks of going 2 hrs so they might be getting the women ready in case that happens.

I don't know if I'll be in the minority on this, but I prefer the one hour show format (without knowing what they'd do with 2 hours - granted). I totally get where talent is coming from with not getting to be on TV more than twice a month (tops), but I like having them spread out. It's a big deal when you get a Bucks match on TV. There's no overexposure there.

Maybe more importantly, if they did explore going to two hours, I'm curious how it logistically would work. Do they turn "Conquest Tour" shows into matches filmed for TV? Do they have to run more often, definitely overexposing themselves to their regular markets? (Philly as-is was Aftershock Tour before SummerSlam, Final Battle, a TV taping the next night, and now the 3/12 show). Would they expand locations - taking bigger venues because of the new setup anyway?

Big weekend sale on ROHWrestling - 25% + the ringside 15% on top. Usual sale figure for them but they FINALLY have a threshold for free shipping with any order over $75. This is great that those extra couple bucks to ship aren't being added on top of $6.99 DVDs that are 40% off.

Doing a little back collecting of the bigger shows, plus Final Battle 2015 40% off is way better than their online VOD price.

Anyone know if there are any fantastic comps I might want to pick up there? Haven't had time to browse the listings.

I think they do a great job of following a specific timeline with their wrestler comps and they don't duplicate, so really would be finding your personal faves there. Their Year One - Five series is a nice time capsule.

Not a fan of Kongo vs Moose I don't mind a fat guy worker but Kongo was sloppy in this match and seemed really blown up by the end Moose was fine but he clearly still isn't ready to be put in a situation where he has to be the better worker of the match.

I actually really enjoyed this match, far more than I thought I would... I didn't necessarily read a lot of Kong's stuff as sloppy, more that he's just going to be naturally encumbered and not particularly smooth when it comes to certain moves and I didn't feel it veered over into dangerous work or anything like that.

I agree he was probably blown up by the end but it held my attention throughout and I think I probably tend towards the opposite of your view on Moose in the match too... while this was in no way the kind of performance that makes me think "yep, stick him in there with anyone and he'll be able to get something out of them" I thought he portrayed the big guy who is usually the powerhouse against most opponents having to come up against someone really unorthodox and adjust things slightly well enough.

Anyone know if there are any fantastic comps I might want to pick up there? Haven't had time to browse the listings.

I think they do a great job of following a specific timeline with their wrestler comps and they don't duplicate, so really would be finding your personal faves there. Their Year One - Five series is a nice time capsule.

Thanks, will check those out and hopefully find they have a lot I need. If I recall there's also a Danielson set or 2 that would be good to have on the big screen.

I was too busy last week to catch the Gauntlet so need to re-watch here, but did see this week's TV. Fun TV main event for sure. Liked Ishii getting the spotlight although I thought they were going to run Honor Rising specials first, like him wining the belt to explain what was going on for this current TV.

Also, I haven't watched the Philly 3/12 show but Kevin said it was the best show he's seen in his 6 years at ROH. That's pretty high praise.

I liked the Bucks vs. Tanahashi/Elgin match just fine on first watch but after revisiting following watching their 3/12 triple threat and then the gauntlet stuff, I thought it was actually a great performance by them - I'll call it the best main event i've seen on ROH TV this year. They work as full blown babyfaces here, with Tanahashi cutting off tags and everything. I wonder if they'll ever release the full version as I'd like to see it.

http://placetobenation.com/ring-of-honor-tv-episode-235-recap/

The guy who yelled "Cheap Heat!" when Kaz made fun of Detroit stinks and is an awful creep.

Was he not telling the truth? Cheap heat is a dumb tactic to do when in the indies. Does it even work half of the time? Those guys showing up are people who are more sensitive to what the workers do to get what they want and generally more aware of it. Resorting to cheap heat for people paying 20 bucks to watch their favorite indy wrestlers aren't gonna go along with that crap I would think.