Pro Wrestling Only

Ring of Honor Wrestling

Coffey

9 hours ago, SmartMark15 said:

Speaking as an outsider who doesn't know too much about either worker: probably Taven. He has even less innately interesting things about him than Credible did. At least Credible had the Impact Players act to lean on. 

The Impact Players were ditched when Credible won the title - it became him and Francine. 

Honestly, it's very close. I think Taven at least has a small but vocal fanbase that has been advocating for him, and I don't feel like that existed for Justin. But maybe they're just more visible because of Twitter.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really like Silas Young, but holy shit, this is a bad look for him and ROH.

He's lucky he's in what has quickly become an obscure indie fed. If a WWE or even AEW wrestler posted anything like this, they'd be fired within the hour. Because it's ROH, it won't gain any traction and the few ROH fans left who do see it will be sycophantic apologists (as you can already see by the gross Twitter replies).

Plus, ROH has a bad history of looking the other way - RF, Bully Ray fan incident, homophobic comments by Briscoe, and I know I'm forgetting others.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting ready to go to this show tonight has really made me process how much my interest in ROH has fallen. I'm interested in one of the announced matches (Villain Enterprises-Lifeblood) and even that is a rehash of matches that have happened a few times in the last month. Otherwise... I'm sure I will have a fun time watching pro wrestling, but that's not a high bar.

On 7/7/2019 at 8:05 PM, Migs said:

The Impact Players were ditched when Credible won the title - it became him and Francine. 

Honestly, it's very close. I think Taven at least has a small but vocal fanbase that has been advocating for him, and I don't feel like that existed for Justin. But maybe they're just more visible because of Twitter.

At least with Credible his level of talent seemed to be in sync with the rest of the ECW roster at that time as champion.  I can only think of maybe 1 or 2 guys that you could argue that was so much better that it makes it look dumb that he is champion.   

With Taven I feel that there are so many people that are over his level that it makes him as champion for a long time dumb.  It is very similar to Xavier being the champion when their roster had some of the best guys in the country.  Although he was more of a transitional champion and was done because Low Ki will did Low Ki things at the time.  This was by choice and there is nothing that makes me think Taven isn't going to be champ for a long time.

3 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

The attendance looked absolutely pathetic last night. I think that Gangrel show pulled in more people. 

The Gangrel match on the second episode of Beyond’s Uncharted Territory show was more entertaining than any ROH match I have seen in quite a long time, though I haven’t seen a second of their stuff since Final Battle.

7 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

The attendance looked absolutely pathetic last night. I think that Gangrel show pulled in more people. 

I think it looked slightly better on TV than reality, too - lots of empty rows, the balconies were very light, even the floor was empty past where the hard cam shot. There was at no point a line for the bathroom or at the bar. They legit packed up the merch with a couple of matches to go.

Show was fun - the tag title switch was a good brawl and the TV match they taped with Villain Enterprises was among the most fun squashes I've ever seen. But Marty or PCO should be the champ right now, no one's close to being as over as them. (Although I was super happy for the Bouncers to get such a giant reaction.)

So the NWA just kicked ROH to the curb. Looks like Billy's going to put effort into producing his own weekly show for them. 

PCO and Brody King still hold the NWA tag titles that they won at the Crockett Cup show, so that will be interesting.

2 hours ago, sek69 said:

So the NWA just kicked ROH to the curb. Looks like Billy's going to put effort into producing his own weekly show for them. 

PCO and Brody King still hold the NWA tag titles that they won at the Crockett Cup show, so that will be interesting.

Was wondering what happened there - Aldis and Drake had been advertised for NY this weekend and weren't there, and the NWA had been quietly removed from the press for the Toronto show.

Given how good 10 Pounds of Gold has been, I'd be intrigued by a weekly NWA show, although presumably that means some increase in talent costs?

I couldn't imagine anyone breaking down the doors to work with the NWA. Does the NWA bring anything to the table? Aldis, Storm, Drake, and Kay are great players to fill out the bench, not to start. If the NWA really wants to stand out they need to look completely different that everything else. Super indie with a TV deal isn't going to work in 2019 as ROH and Impact have shown.

3 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Sadly, the NWA stuff was by far the best thing that was happening on RoH TV recently.

I just don't see any place for them. They would be stuck in that Evolve spot of being a promotion that struggles to grow.

Yeah, it seemed like them teaming up with other promotions while producing their own YouTube stuff and occasional shows was their sweet spot. I guess I could see something in a 20-30 minute show that had fairly little wrestling and built up to, like, one match a month? That seems like it would play to their strengths and wouldn't need a big roster. I don't know what the market would be for that as a TV show, though.

Briscoes vs Rush/Dragon Lee was a fun blood filled brawl on this week's show. Considering the Briscoes did the job here but ended up winning the tag titles back from G.O.D., this could be a real money program for ROH that they desperately need. 

• 2 weeks later...

ROH switched up the TV format this week - reminiscent of a Joey Styles ECW Arena post-show wrap up episode style. Clips from matches, lots of promos, a significantly faster pace overall. Not sure it solves the overall problem of flat booking, but the show was much more watchable. 

On 8/6/2019 at 11:55 AM, Migs said:

ROH switched up the TV format this week - reminiscent of a Joey Styles ECW Arena post-show wrap up episode style. Clips from matches, lots of promos, a significantly faster pace overall. Not sure it solves the overall problem of flat booking, but the show was much more watchable. 

It will be interesting to see how they handle shows after a PPV.  Unfortunately the next 3 weeks of ROH TV is usually meaningless filler that acts like the the show hasn't really happened yet.

When you are running a show IN TORONTO on the weekend of Summerslam and Takeover IN TORONTO and get this kind of crowd, it is time to cue the Titanic music