Coffey

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Clearly it's a work, one in bad taste and might blow up in their faces considering who owns ROH, but a work nonetheless.

Well, of course I don't think he believes injecting Clorox is a real medical solution - well, at least I hope he doesn't - but I wonder if he actually did it for the video or if it's some kind of camera trick. 

6 minutes ago, sek69 said:

There seemed to be a camera cut between the needle being put in the bottle and when it was injected in his arm. 

You're right, so hopefully two needles.

But still, what a fucking idiot. Even the most marginal wrestler (and he is a much bigger deal than that) has a gullible fan following who will be influenced by what he does.

9 hours ago, C.S. said:

You're right, so hopefully two needles.

But still, what a fucking idiot. Even the most marginal wrestler (and he is a much bigger deal than that) has a gullible fan following who will be influenced by what he does.

I mean, the President of the United States basically suggested the same thing, and he has a much more gullible fan following that hang on his every word like it's scripture. So I don't think PCO making a mockery of it is more likely than that to cause some jackass to inject Clorox into himself.

6 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

I mean, the President of the United States basically suggested the same thing, and he has a much more gullible fan following that hang on his every word like it's scripture. So I don't think PCO making a mockery of it is more likely than that to cause some jackass to inject Clorox into himself.

Agreed, but PCO reinforcing that rubbish doesn't help matters any. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Per the ROH site:

Ten of the 16 competitors for the upcoming ROH Pure Title tournament have been announced. The tournament begins at the TV tapings set to take place this month.

The participants (in alphabetical order) revealed thus far are:

-- PJ Black
-- Tony Deppen
-- David Finlay
-- Jonathan Gresham
-- Jay Lethal
-- Rocky Romero
-- Matt Sydal
-- Tracy Williams
-- Josh Woods
-- Wheeler Yuta

Looks like a pretty good list and I'm pretty excited for it. Additionally, ROH listed their policies and procedures for the TV tapings regarding Covid-19. Good on them for doing that as well as waiting to start back up. I've enjoyed their retrospective programs but, it'll be nice to see what direction they will be going in with reviving the Pure Title.

It really is amazing that the one US company doing the best  effort in all this is the one owned by a media empire that probably still thinks covid is a hoax.

I was listening to Dave talk about it on the WON show, talking about how they are not only having guys get tested multiple times they are quarantining everyone at a hotel beforehand and taping 2 months of TV to get the most they can out of it. Basically they want to copy what UFC does for their shows as much as their budget will allow. 

Also in other news, Delirious is back booking as Marty is officially "on leave" while his #SpeakingOut allegations are being looked into. Word is they want to have a more serious sports presentation when they get back up and running.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2020 at 6:41 AM, Blehschmidt said:

I love that Marty's being looked into, and Jay Lethal is still on the card.

It's ROH, which is easily the sleaziest promotion of them all.

They've handled Covid remarkably well compared to every other U.S. company, but they've handled everything else so poorly.

Remember Bubba Ray dragging a fan backstage and intimidating him?

And let's not even get started on Sinclair Broadcasting.

ROH is clearly a property Sinclair bought for weekends and filler broadcasting. Its like saying WCW Worldwide was a means to disseminate Ted Turner's liberal ideology.  

I think it should be applauded that they (ROH) were not making their talent work during the early stages of the pandemic unlike WWE. The fact that they are testing and re-testing the workers is a commitment to the employees and their safety. So, if Sinclair money was able to suspend touring to protect their workers (wrestlers, film crew, staff) and wrestling fans, its a good thing in my book. 

Anyhow, per ROH's site regarding the Pure Title Tournament:

Pure Title Tournament First-Round Schedule

Weekend of Sept. 12
Block A: Jay Lethal vs. Dalton Castle
Block B: Jonathan Gresham vs. Wheeler Yuta

Weekend of Sept. 19
Block A: David Finlay vs. Rocky Romero
Block B: Delirious vs. Matt Sydal

Weekend of Sept. 26
Block A: Silas Young vs. Fred Yehi
Block B: Josh Woods vs. Kenny King

Weekend of Oct. 3
Block A: Tracy Williams vs. Rust Taylor
Block B: PJ Black vs. Tony Deppen

I watched the restart show last night. . Great interview package with all 4 wrestlers. Two really solid wrestling matches on the show. No outside interference , no goofy backstage segments and the only people in the ring were the two competitors and the referee . Just a solid wrestling program that treated the talent and the audience with respect. 

3 hours ago, Memphis Mark said:

I watched the restart show last night. . Great interview package with all 4 wrestlers. Two really solid wrestling matches on the show. No outside interference , no goofy backstage segments and the only people in the ring were the two competitors and the referee . Just a solid wrestling program that treated the talent and the audience with respect. 

Have to agree with this. Much better than the product they had been putting out pre-pandemic. The interview package and match made Jonathan Gresham look like a huge star.

Other than RoH not being able to quit Jay Lethal, in spite of the allegations against him, while casting aside others, it was a good hour of television.

I like how they only get a limited number of rope breaks. I'm interested in seeing a match now where all rope breaks are used and they can just the ropes in their submission holds after that I suppose. The Gresham match had a cool spot where he applied some kind of Indian deathlock and Wheeler Yuta got to the ropes and they announced he used up one of his rope breaks. Gresham had trouble breaking the hold right away and needed the ref to help untangle them. This made Yuta mad and he punched Gresham, and they announced he only got one warning for the punch. It's a different kind of match so I am interested in seeing what else they can do with it.

To me the presentation here was much more the story than the matches.  If you are looking for a sports based presentation, they nailed it.  Wondering how much of the graphics, stats, time on the screen, etc. continue after the Pure tourney.  I’m wondering if they have more filler matches on future weeks.  The shows are already a bit dull with the closed set but if they only have 2 matches in an hour that too could get a bit dull depending on whatever they fill the rest of the time with.

Agreed, a great show, with a very nice presentation. Castle's promo in particular was excellent and felt like a side of the character he needs to evolve. 

I also thought the style of match worked really well for the closed set - focused, grounded, and the Pure rules give them little stories to tell. I didn't miss the fans here. Maybe I will when there's bigger moments as they progress, we'll see.

Low key nice thing - they changed the opening, which had gotten really, really stale. 

4 hours ago, Tenese Sarwieh said:

ROH came back with a bang, having top notch graphics and two solid pure tournament matches. At the end this should be Gresham's title.

Given Gresham is coming in so confident that he feels like the most likely finals loser. No one else on his side of the bracket seems to be a likely finalist (I guess I could see King or Sydal), but I could see him losing in the final to Lethal or Tracy Williams.

3 hours ago, El-P said:

The whole "UWF-I" approach kinda makes me want to give it a try, but I wonder if it isn't gonna get dry after a few weeks. Also, I think this stuff can work only with a certain kind of quality workers.

They mostly have that in this tournament. Except Delirious. 

After week 2 I’m really kind of bored with it.  The matches for next week look better on paper.

I really didn’t care for the Castle promo content wise.  I couldn’t tell what he was going for.  Is he intentionally trying to come across as a brooding, deranged, eccentric dude who could snap in the ring at any moment?

8 hours ago, WrestlingPower said:

I really didn’t care for the Castle promo content wise.  I couldn’t tell what he was going for.  Is he intentionally trying to come across as a brooding, deranged, eccentric dude who could snap in the ring at any moment?

Yes, I think. A lot of his arc in 2019 was going kinda batty after losing to Rush, and while they took it in a comedy context with the Joe Hendry stuff at the end of the year, this feels like a more fruitful direction for him in terms of being able to be a top guy.