Coffey

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, joeg said:

One more thing, while not necessarially a rapist, Scurll is definately a creep. And being released from ROH to land somewhere better, how is that punishment for hooking up with someone half his age? It isn't. You know what is punishment for that sort of behavior? Being charged with statutory rape and distribution to a minor. But he wasn't charged so until then it's all rumor and innuendo. 

I don't know where he's landing or if it'll be better. He had an awesome spot in ROH where he was basically going to be the booker and make WWE money to work 40ish dates a year. If he's not pushing for big money, I guess I could see him working MLW or Impact, but I don't think those are better spots necessarily. He didn't get used in New Japan this summer when the other guys in his group did, so I don't see that as a landing spot. I think the bridge is burned with AEW. NXT? 

Wrestling Inc. posted a "report" indicating that WWE is "very interested" in signing Scurll, but it's been pulled. WOR was cited as the original source. I assume nothing of the sort was ever actually said by Meltzer and co. and Wrestling Inc. lazily posted without verifying?

UPDATE - CORRECTION FROM WRESTLING INC.: 

Meltzer said that WWE "was very interested" in Scurll, but he was referring to last year before Scurll signed with ROH in January of 2020.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2021/01/marty-scurll-wwe-story-correction-679729/

Expect Marty to land with IMPACT. There's no room at New Japan & AEW and WWE aren't interested. He's particularly persona non grata in WWE. 

He has very few options in general and he needs a work Visa to stay in the US. Also, he's "very heavy" currently.

11 minutes ago, rovert said:

Expect Marty to land with IMPACT. There's no room at New Japan & AEW and WWE aren't interested. He's particularly persona non grata in WWE. 

He has very few options in general and he needs a work Visa to stay in the US. Also, he's "very heavy" currently.

Why is that with WWE? 
Also, by “very heavy”, do you mean literally? Has he gotten big?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2021 at 1:30 PM, Migs said:

Hearing Dalton Castle may now be a free agent, which would make his treatment over the last year make a lot more sense.

I was afraid of this. He's been having really good matches on TV (his match vs Josh Woods this week has been Woods' best in recent memory) but he's lost them all except vs Brian Johnson. I don't want to see him go but, you're right...it makes sense. They haven't acknowledged the losing streak either.  He looks to be on his way out.

The rumor is that he's got an offer from ROH but is looking for others. This is sort of where ROH is right now - the spot for people with nowhere else to go. I'm not even sure if it works as a door to New Japan anymore, although I guess its still one place to go that keeps the door open.

• 1 month later...

Hey Dalton Castle got a win!! Found it interesting that he mentioned in his promo that if he couldn't win then he was going to leave. Who knows if they are actually going to use that as an angle. I really think that a heel turn could be fun...his win hinted at that. EC3 is back and looks better than he did prior to Final Battle. ROH clearly want to get their Jay Briscoe/EC3 feud payoff. The Foundation needs to be pushed a little bit more along with the Pure Rules division. It seems like after they got Rush & co. back they just wanted to focus on that and the mission of the Foundation lost steam. Lethal vs Rush for the Anniversary show might bring it together. Rush has been a mediocre champ imo so, I'd like to see Lethal on top again. 

42 minutes ago, G. Badger said:

Hey Dalton Castle got a win!! Found it interesting that he mentioned in his promo that if he couldn't win then he was going to leave. Who knows if they are actually going to use that as an angle. I really think that a heel turn could be fun...his win hinted at that. EC3 is back and looks better than he did prior to Final Battle. ROH clearly want to get their Jay Briscoe/EC3 feud payoff. The Foundation needs to be pushed a little bit more along with the Pure Rules division. It seems like after they got Rush & co. back they just wanted to focus on that and the mission of the Foundation lost steam. Lethal vs Rush for the Anniversary show might bring it together. Rush has been a mediocre champ imo so, I'd like to see Lethal on top again. 

I'm guessing Dalton resigned then. On the one hand, I feel bad for him, as it felt like he had so much steam a couple of years ago that was lost; but hopefully they gave him some solid money for the very reasonable ROH schedule.

I really have no interest in seeing Lethal on top again, but you're right that Rush just doesn't work as their champ for me. Just feels like a roster of mid carders at this point.

6 hours ago, Migs said:

I'm guessing Dalton resigned then. On the one hand, I feel bad for him, as it felt like he had so much steam a couple of years ago that was lost; but hopefully they gave him some solid money for the very reasonable ROH schedule.

I really have no interest in seeing Lethal on top again, but you're right that Rush just doesn't work as their champ for me. Just feels like a roster of mid carders at this point.

Yeah, I'd prefer Lethal over Rush but yeah they should use him as a transitional champ..but they probably won't have him win. I'd still like Brody King as champ who is a monster. You're right about it being a mid card company now (for awhile). Its probably why its a fun hour of TV to me...I'm going in with low expectations and am excited for a few good moves and a great tv clipped match every few weeks :)

Re: Castle..man I'd really hope they do something with his character. Again a heel turn could be something exciting. He's got a physicality that I think he could tap into that would work well alongside Brody, Woods, Silas, Yehi, Hot Sauce. Just thinking out loud

Pretty bummed about Fred Yehi jobbing to Dak Draper on TV. Draper looks like a guy who can't wait to get in the WWE system whereas Yehi seems like someone who would be a good TV champ in the old ROH mold. I mean he almost made it to the Pure Tournament Finals and ugh...whatever direction ROH had after the tournament seems to have run out. As much as I enjoy their stuff being 'midcard' fun, stuff like this is stupid. This week's episode was poor all around...cheap finishes for uninspired stories.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I liked the Survival of the Fitest match from a couple weeks ago that Bandido won to earn that title shot. This past week they had Briscoe vs Briscoe in the Fight on the Farm and I didnt really like that at all. It wasnt that fun and seemed too fake and had too many camera cuts that I couldn't get into it.

Best in the World was a pretty good show. Crowd was kinda sparse but I think part of that was due to COVID restrictions. Still was miles better than an empty arena show for sure. Dragon Lee winning the TV belt back seemed like a reset since I don't think he was supposed to ever lose the title to begin with (he had surgery on his eardrum and couldn't travel), but I loved seeing Bandito get the world title. The post match stuff seemed a little...no pun intended...rushed, but that was probably the cost of doing business to get Rush to do a clean job. 

On 7/8/2021 at 3:57 AM, Coffey said:

I've heard good things about the Briscoe Brothers Chicken Coop fight. Anyone here seen it & can confirm?

I watched this match, which you can see in full now on youtube, it's good! I watched the PPV tonight & it was really good too! They made Brody King look like a monster. I liked both enough that I splurged and bought an ROH hat. :) 

Yeah, I thought the show was good on the whole. Not a huge crowd, but loud enough to make a difference and add energy, and there's no way I can go back to watching their empty arena stuff now.

I like the call to go to Bandido - don't think Rush was moving the needle and it shows they're serious about pushing Bandido. He and Flip should have a good match in Philly, too. I think the TV title thing worked out - Lee makes sense as the champ but they got some rub on Williams and Deppen with the switches. Excited to see what Homicide and Dickinson do as tag champs too. 

One thing I noticed on the show - ROH has done a nice job of putting time in on guys and pushing them far enough to establish characters. Gresham and Taylor were nowhere two years ago but were strong, defined characters on the show last night.

Went in person last night. Enjoyed the show. Every match fell in that ok to good range. Not a huge crowd because of COVID capacity restrictions but a noisey crowd in the arena. I don't know if how lively the crowd was came across on TV or if TV only picked up the rows of empty seats. Its been probably 6 years since I went to a ROH show in person but it was much like every other ROH show I've been to- good realistic in ring work, logical booking, and busch league production. Every promo on the stage and hype video on the screen got lost as half the crowd couldn't see or hear what was happening on the stage. 11 matches is a lot as well, especially when the under card stuff and promos promoting their next show run long and the co features and main event run short. But its ROH so you kind of expect a poorly produced live show when you go. Bandido getting the win was nice. 

On 7/12/2021 at 2:44 PM, Migs said:

One thing I noticed on the show - ROH has done a nice job of putting time in on guys and pushing them far enough to establish characters. Gresham and Taylor were nowhere two years ago but were strong, defined characters on the show last night.

ROH used a lot of their no crowd pandemic TV time to do personality profiles on a lot of different people. Like anywhere from a quarter to a third of each episode would be devoted to a video package/interview where you hear someone telling their story and getting themselves over.