Pro Wrestling Only

Ring of Honor Wrestling

Coffey

32 minutes ago, sek69 said:

ROH used a lot of their no crowd pandemic TV time to do personality profiles on a lot of different people. Like anywhere from a quarter to a third of each episode would be devoted to a video package/interview where you hear someone telling their story and getting themselves over. 

Some of this predates that, though. In 2019, they put in a lot of work in building up Taylor, really committed to Gresham even before the pandemic (and then went harder during, for sure). Even Brody King had been given a pretty big push and now seems to comfortably be one of their lead guys (and props to Lethal for putting him over strong). At points in 2019, it seemed like this was just circling the drain stuff, pushing the last guys left because they had no other options. But credit where it's due that this seems to have been productive based on the responses these guys were getting on the show.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't love all the people that Ring of Honor are using but I commend them for what they're doing. A lot of that is just personal preference too, of course. Right now though, at least as far as U.S. based companies are concerned, I'm probably digging ROH the most. Which is kind of funny as they felt like a non-entity there for me for awhile, the same way Impact does. I think it might be time that I gave Impact a fresh set of eyes again too - see if maybe I enjoy it more. 

Danhausen on commentary for the PCO vs Sledge match on this weekend's TV was hilarious.  I literally laughed out loud alone in my living room a couple times which I never do for wrestling comedy. I wonder if Danhausen might do better as a manager. 

11 hours ago, William Bologna said:

ROH was on my local ABC affiliate at 5 pm on Sunday (DC area). That's not a normal thing, right? There's no indication on their website that I'd be able to see them there.

Sinclair owned stations seem to be using the program as filler these days. My local Fox station will run hours of old episodes back to back on Saturday and Sunday afternoons when they have open slots to fill.

2 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

Sinclair owned stations seem to be using the program as filler these days. My local Fox station will run hours of old episodes back to back on Saturday and Sunday afternoons when they have open slots to fill.

ROH is on such an odd spot - because of stuff like this, they actually get decent ratings (Meltz had reported something like 500K per ep), but also no excitement around the product (Meltz also reported that ROH has a very low ratio of DVR viewers, probably because it's mostly people just stumbling into episodes on their Sinclair affiliate). They're in no danger of going away, because they're good at being what Sinclair needs, but also feel incredibly far from relevance.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, sek69 said:

It has been interesting/hilarious that the wrestling company owned by the most right wing business has done the best in responding to covid. 

Agreed. I do think so much of it comes from how little Sinclair cares about ROH - they've been able to do this as safely as possible because they really do not care if there are fans present for their filler program. But still a Sinclair company declaring Florida too dangerous is pretty ironic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watching the ROH PPV in the background tonight while I do some work. 

- Looks like a decent crowd, although this is the upside of the 2300 - you can do about a 1000 or so and it will look full.

- I've given up on ROH TV as long as they keep insisting on doing empty arena stuff, but on the other hand, if they do one show a month in front of fans, that's about the right amount of ROH for me at the moment.

- I like Alex Zayne coming in and he was a good choice to win the rumble, but it feels like it tips the hand that Bandido is retaining, as they keep harping on him having beaten Bandido and that's the obvious match up.

- Not sure what they're going for, but Flip Gordon going back to looking like he did two years ago is kinda interesting.

- Always glad to see Dalton Castle, but him puttering around their midcard after where he was three years ago never fails to bum me out.

- Atlas and Rust looked like they went home early on an injury, but both looked solid and I think ROH would be lucky to have either of them long-term.

- The Vlnce Unlmtd six man was pretty enjoyable, although not sure why, with all the faction wars, they're wrestling a random assortment of dudes. Super awkward to hear the ROH announcers acknowledge Moriarty signing with AEW.

I like that they went with Woods but I don't think that match hit the level it felt like it could have. The whole thing worked well in the sense that they did a great job of building Gresham up and then in building Woods to be a guy to beat him, but it still felt pretty cold in the moment.

1 minute ago, sek69 said:

Well they seemed to be setting up some angles with Bandito so there was *something*. I just hope they find some way to get their TV taped in front of fans because it's brutal for them to be the only wrestling show still not in front of a crowd. 

Maybe I was a little too pessimistic. I do think ROH has strung together some good shows, and there's certainly a flow to things even without any big angles. I like the decision to go all in on Bandido, who's not my favorite guy but at least has star potential and they didn't wait until it was too late. If I were them I'd go full lucha and do him vs Dragon Lee at the next major show, use Vincent as a bridge guy for whatever live show they do next month. At the very least Bandido-Dragon Lee might get some people talking.