Pro Wrestling Only

Ring of Honor Wrestling

Coffey

On 4/2/2022 at 5:10 AM, The Thread Killer said:

That was a damn good show. I thought the women’s match was a little clunky, but aside from that there really wasn’t a bad match on that show. The main event was outstanding. I liked the surprise at the end, even if Joe is really starting to show his age. I am really looking forward to see where ROH goes from here.

Pretty much exactly where I am. I honestly wasn't *that* hyped up about the whole show because I had no idea where this would go. But holy shit. FTR vs Briscoes was a legit MOTYC. Just ridiculously great match, maybe the best FTR ever had. Gresham vs Bandido was great as well. Man Gresham is such an awesome and unique talent, kinda like ZSJ I feel I'll never get bored watching him. Joe sure looks his age, but still in the ROH context his presence takes another meaning, and it's really a cool arc. When you think last year he was under the rain at Mania just before getting fired !

The undercard was also really fucking good, top to bottom, apart from the woman's match, I was not overly impressed by Willow, who was kinda sloppy at points. Mercedez vs Deonna should be really good though. Suzuki's match was nothing special either really, but the old guy already had a few wars in the last day or so, and the fact he won is just terrific. The Jay Lethal heel turn was wonderfully done, and once again I've been super impressed by him. Seems like I was sleeping on this guy because of his kinda underwhelming TNA stuff (he does have the last really good Flair match though, so he was coming around just before he left for ROH). The Brian Cage squash was pretty great too, interesting way of giving him a fresh start (if you're gonna resign him, might as well get your money's worth). Yuta winning is a clear sign he's gonna get a push in AEW under Regal too. 

All in all, now I'm interested in ROH. Damnit.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Caught up with Supercard of Honor. Damn good show that's definitely got me interested in ROH again.

Highlight obviously being Briscoes/FTR. Just a fantastic tag team match that had it all. Blood, violence, smart tag team wrestling, jaw dropping spots, molten crowd. Match of the weekend for sure and definitely a MOTYC. Up there with the top tier AEW matches from the last few months.

Jay Lethal's done almost nothing for me since signing with AEW but he had a great showing here. Good match with Moriarty and subsequent heel turn. I liked the Sonjay Dutt involvement with him calming down Lethal and then inevitably siding with him later on. JOE's return was just great. I want to see Punk/Joe again in ROH.

Suzuki & Yuta winning their respective titles works for me. I'm not especially excited by Josh Woods & Rhett Titus. The matches didn't do much for me though.

Mercedes/Willow wasn't very good. Mercedes Martinez is really cool but she's disappointed me a few times in recent matches. The match with Deonna Purrazzo should be better.

Liking Tully's big boy stable. Glad to see Toa Liona getting a shot after impressing on Dark. He looks like he's lost quite a bit of weight but he's still massive. Ninja Mack is a lot of fun. I enjoyed him on Bloodsport too. Cage heading to ROH is a good call as he's been in limbo on AEW.

Zayne/Swerve was a pretty enjoyable opener. The reverse hurricanrana was nuts. Ridiculous that it's just thrown out there halfway through a show opener. Crazy spot though.

Here's my top 10 from this weekend so far:

1. The Briscoes vs. FTR, Supercard of Honor XV
2. Becky Lynch vs. Bianca Belair, Wrestlemania Saturday
3. Jon Moxley vs. Biff Busick, Bloodsport
4. Seth Rollins vs. Cody Rhodes, Wrestlemania Saturday
5. Bandido vs. Mike Bailey, Mark Hitchcock Memorial Show
6. Kevin Owens vs. Steve Austin, Wrestlemania Saturday
7. Jonathan Gresham vs. Bandido, Supercard of Honor XV
8. Rey & Dominik Mysterio vs. The Miz & Logan Paul, Wrestlemania Saturday
9. Minoru Suzuki vs. Biff Busick, Mark Hitchcock Memorial Show
10. Lee Moriarty vs. Jay Lethal, Supercard of Honor XV

FTR v. Briscos was clearly a massive draw.

Last weekend was crazy work-wise for me, I have not been able to watch any WM weekend matches. This match is the one I am looking most forward to by some distance, although I don't want to hype myself into disappointment. 

44 minutes ago, MoS said:

This match is the one I am looking most forward to by some distance, although I don't want to hype myself into disappointment. 

That is what I was worried about going into the pay-per-view. I was worried that I had such high expectations, no matter what happened it would end up being a disappointment.

Luckily the match lived up to my expectations and the hype. If you have enjoyed other FTR matches, I would say this one ranks right up there with their absolute best. I enjoyed this as much as the matches with American Alpha, or even the 2/3 Falls with DIY, which is one of the all time great tag matches, IMO.

Yes, it was awesome. I actually think it worked well that it ended up on this ROH show - it was clearly the main draw so they could build around it in and give them a ton of time to let the match build and work it the way they wanted to. Couldn't have done that on Dynamite, or even on an AEW PPV. 

FTR/Briscoes was awesome

I was more impressed with Lee Moriarty in the Lethal match than anything I've seen of him in AEW, which is wild because he's had matches with Punk and Bryan on AEW TV.

Bandido has to get a better set up for his finish lmao. That shit is even sillier than the 619 set up. Both guys had some pretty wonky looking spots that require a guy to go to the floor. Gresh does a lot of really interesting, borderline weird stuff. Very interesting performer.

Liked the production and the announce team, certainly more interested in ROH going forward than I have been in probably 12+ years. I'm much more likely to watch an hour of ROH as opposed to either of the Dark shows if it's used like a real show and promotion and not just squash matches for low card guys that can't find their way to Dynamite.

37 minutes ago, strobogo said:

I was more impressed with Lee Moriarty in the Lethal match than anything I've seen of him in AEW, which is wild because he's had matches with Punk and Bryan on AEW TV.

Me too. I was shocked at how much more impressive he looked in that setting. And you know, some people just benefit of the big fish in a small pond environment. They also got much more time and were on a much even playing field with Lethal, which probably helped make it better.

37 minutes ago, strobogo said:

Liked the production and the announce team, certainly more interested in ROH going forward than I have been in probably 12+ years. I'm much more likely to watch an hour of ROH as opposed to either of the Dark shows if it's used like a real show and promotion and not just squash matches for low card guys that can't find their way to Dynamite.

The same. Although honestly my weekly schedule is pretty much full already and I did not need another interesting promotion to watch (considering I haven't watched any Dark shows in forever).

And oh yeah, FTR vs Briscoes was legit MOTYC to me and maybe the best FTR match ever.

I tried watching Briscoes/FTR, but I ended up completely losing interest and turning it off about fifteen minutes in. It could simply be a case of me going in with unrealistic expectations and/or being grumpy from work, so I'll give it another shot soon. By the way, someone needs to tell FTR Bald how Bret feels about chops.

Got around to watching the tag and it's a stone cold classic. The chops made sense cuz FTR Bald gave into his ego and got sucked into that exchange with Hair Brisco and paid the price for it until he reverted to punching. A violent, visceral, intense bloodbath, the best kind of wrestling. Strong MOTY contender. 

The original plan was to do best of's until the relaunch show and then do a TV taping afterwards. Now that Tony has it, there might have been something in the deal where Sinclair keeps the show running while he figures out what to do with it. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sek69 said:

Yeah they needed to have some kind of placeholder art since I believe the copyright office needs some kind of graphical example in with the submission.

Yeah, it is something that you would draw freehand on the application form not all that long ago. Not remotely definitive. 

The bigger story is how the logo fits in with the AEW's current network's branding ahead of the TV upfronts: fronts: https://www.nexttv.com/news/upfront-warner-bros-discovery-puts-sports-in-its-premier-package

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love to see it, but the outcome isn't as much in question at this point. I don't really see the Briscoes getting the belts back so soon, and FTR is gearing up for a shot at the AEW belts. 

It's not that I think the Briscoes have to get their win back, but the first match had the benefit of it being truly unpredictable as to who was going to win. 

On 6/2/2022 at 5:14 PM, The Thread Killer said:

Lots of rumors circulating online today that TK is planning another ROH PPV for July. I’m there…but I best see The Briscoes on that card. Hell, considering the fact that they are partially responsible for the success of the last PPV, why not book Briscoes/FTR II?

I've heard the ROH PPV rumor in July as well. I'm looking forward to it if it does happen. Hopefully it'll be on HonorClub too (if that's still a thing by then) so I can watch it on there and not a standalone show that you have to order through FITE. 

In terms of the Briscoes, aren't they signed to Impact? Even if they are, it's not out of the realm of possibility for them to be on the show since AEW and TK have worked with Impact in the past (most recently with Deonna Purrazzo and W. Morrissey appearing on Impact on the same night). However, this is all presuming that the show is actually happening that is.

Side note ... if the show does happen, will this be where they announce if/when ROH comes back to weekly TV somewhere?

• 1 month later...

Agreed. This looks like a FANTASTIC card! I’m sure we’ll get more match announcements tomorrow night on Rampage.

Side note: They keep saying PPV and Bleacher Report. Guessing that means no Honor Club or FITE streaming?