Coffey

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Brynn said:

Agreed. This looks like a FANTASTIC card! I’m sure we’ll get more match announcements tomorrow night on Rampage.

I wonder who is getting the World Title shot? I read about the angle with Gresham that happened on Rampage but I’m not sure that will result in a World Title shot. I will not elaborate because I don’t want to spoil it for those who plan to watch the show live.

11 hours ago, Brynn said:

Side note: They keep saying PPV and Bleacher Report. Guessing that means no Honor Club or FITE streaming?

Just checked and Honor Club is still operational (they haven't charged me for it in a VERY long time). Possible it'll be there as well and they're just not pushing it.

It's kind of weird TK hasn't started some kind of ROH show yet. I know TV deals can be messy and take a while to iron out, but he can either put another show on YouTube for the time being (or rename one of the Dark shows to ROH) so they can have their own space to work.

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

It's kind of weird TK hasn't started some kind of ROH show yet. I know TV deals can be messy and take a while to iron out, but he can either put another show on YouTube for the time being (or rename one of the Dark shows to ROH) so they can have their own space to work.

I agree. He has alluded to being close to a TV deal, but nothing yet. Maybe there will be an announcement at the pay-per-view? But you are right, there’s no reason why they couldn’t do a free show on YouTube or FITE in the meantime. They already pretty much have the infrastructure in place.

3 hours ago, C.S. said:

Why does this site obnoxiously have videos on top and on the side completely unrelated to the story? 

For some reason it's never mentioned that the WON/F4W site is part of the Sports Illustrated family, with all the horrible design that entails.

I find the announcement about Honor Club to be confusing. I guess I can see paying 10 bucks a month for access to the complete ROH archive, but the fact that current PPV’s are not going to be included in this until 2 months later, seems like a bad decision.

Unless, by the time the new service launches…Honor Club includes the COMPLETE archive and a new weekly TV show as part of the package. I guess I could see that.

Mind you, as a Canadian this means I would end up paying almost $14 a month when you factor in the currency exchange rate.

The numbers will be very interesting on this one, as it's almost a meta on AEW itself. The context has changed from when AEW started. There isn't a need for more great-match heavy promotion on the market, there's already too much wrestling, and great wrestling available every week on a mainstream level. This ROH PPV basically is the third AEW PPV in a row, with by far the lesser mainstream appeal and everything focused on basically "Hey, great matches", down to the fact they can't even have the Briscoes, arguably the biggest selling point of the show, on TV at all. And really, despite having run some angles (none of them very good, gotta be honest, back to back "partner betrayed" angles to build two matches really was super uninspired), most of the people on that PPV aren't stars on AEW TV (FTR and Claudio being the exceptions). I don't see the upside of using the ROH brand at this point, but this certainly looks like it can be a great PPV from a match standpoint. But what hasn't been lately with AEW ? So yeah, the numbers on this one will be interesting for sure, including what kind of audience is interested in it. 

Tony Khan announced on Busted Open that he has re-signed the Briscoes to long term contracts with ROH, and that he considers them a “key act” and the biggest signing he has made since buying ROH. 

Thank Jeebus. I was getting a little worried that TK was going to proceed with this relaunch without them, which would have been a mistake, in my opinion. Very happy with this announcement.

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I just ordered the show. Everyone seems to think Claudio winning is obvious. Do you think Khan just goes with it to give the fans what they want, or does he go the other way and Greshem gets a surprise win? 

That is a good question. I think if TK really wants to run ROH as it’s own brand, it might be better to keep the title on Gresham, to be honest. It wouldn’t break my heart to see Claudio win, but until ROH get a TV deal I am not sure it does them any good to have him running around on AEW TV every week wearing the world heavyweight championship from another organization.

Apparently TK signed Claudio with plans to have him be a ROH guy before Bryan went down, so maybe that was the plan all along? I don't see it being a bad call no matter who wins, but it would be odd to have a guy who's part of one of the main AEW factions losing to a guy who has only been on TV a couple of times. 

2 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Is no one here watching this or is there a new thread? Again, this has been fantastic so far.

I watched it but I was with friends so I wasn’t able to post along as I watched it. I actually used the show as a chance to reintroduce a couple of old friends of mine to pro wrestling again. They had both stopped watching shortly after WCW went out of business.

That was one hell of a show, and that Main Event was incredible. That may have been the greatest Tag Team match I’ve ever seen.

2 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

THE EMBASSY is what's going on! Shrimp Cocktails for everyone!

I get that Nana is a legacy ROH name and notable for that reason, but having him so quickly and haphazardly replace Tully after Tully was removed from FTR's corner and sent to ROH to form a stable there makes me wonder exactly what Tully's current status is. I assume he's gone, but I wonder what the story is.