Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-05-26-AJPW-Super Power Series] Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi & Akira Taue vs Jumbo Tsuruta & Great Kabuki & Masa Fuchi

Loss

Is this the first ever time Fuchi drops Kobashis knee on a ringside table? I haven’t seen this in a while since I watched the whole jumbo Misawa feud and it was interesting seeing the start. Jumbo I thought especially had some extra starch in this match; some of those knees and lariats were killers. 

• 3 years later...

Yeah, this thing is red hot. Everybody plays their part & then some more-- the Jumbo vs. Misawa exchanges & brawls are fantastic, Jumbo's selling & character work is simply wonderful throughout, Kabuki n' Fuchi look really good wrecking Kobashi, Kobashi is a terrific face-in-peril & Taue in sort of the "hero-role" for his team was great. Everybody in this is great. ****

• 2 years later...

Misawa hasn't entirely washed the Tiger Mask away from himself, but he certainly feels like a guy ready to climb to the ace position. Obviously the focal point of the match was him vs. Jumbo, in fact it's basically beginning of their feud, and correct me if I'm wrong, might be the actual first match where All Japan starts heading into a different era, instead of just planning for it. Not all of the Misawa/Jumbo interactions in this were Tenryu/Jumbo-good, but there was a pull apart where Jumbo dashed over to Misawa after everyone had thought it'd cooled down that lit things all the way up. They got some stiff shots in when they saw an opportune moment if the other was on the apron, too. For it being their first real heated interaction with each other, it was about what you ask for considering the feud was about a torch passing (or taking) and not really about 'disdain' per se. Kobashi, being like two years a pro, took a pretty large beating in this and regularly looked like the weak link, yet a resilient ride-or-die one. Jumbo levelling him really violent body slams was a highlight, I always forget how nasty he was with them sometimes. Kabuki and Fuchi liked to target different limbs of Kobashi's and of course tensions are high enough that Taue and Misawa come in to interrupt things. There were at least two moments where one of them came in while Kobashi was taking a beating, and the other signalled Kobashi over to tag in, which I liked a lot. Hot, loud end stretch as you'd expect. Maybe a questionable selling choice or two but that's one or two among 20+ minutes. Great match.