Current WWE

Smack2k

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I kind of think that by this point, we've had enough turnover in the writing staff that there are people on staff who have no idea how to put together a show without them. They've just known no other world.

You know Matt that is an excellent point. In anything that people train you to do you know how to get from A to Z by the way you're trained. Your brain is wired to do it that way. A lot of times it takes someone new to shake it up and get you outside your comfort zone to get from A to Z differently. You know it works one way, and you keep going back to that way.

I kind of think that by this point, we've had enough turnover in the writing staff that there are people on staff who have no idea how to put together a show without them. They've just known no other world.

You know Matt that is an excellent point. In anything that people train you to do you know how to get from A to Z by the way you're trained. Your brain is wired to do it that way. A lot of times it takes someone new to shake it up and get you outside your comfort zone to get from A to Z differently. You know it works one way, and you keep going back to that way.

It's a real shame, because that is my biggest complaint about the WWE since 2001. I hate that aspect and it makes everything else worse.

That and the secret camera, which they don't do as much at least.

I will point out that for what it's worth, when Vince McMahon was supposed to be removed from television as the result of Austin vs Undertaker having the exact same stipulation at Fully Loaded 1999, he was back in approximately the same amount of time. And it's not like they needed to hotshot at that point to pop a rating. It's symptomatic of Vince having a short memory and level of patience when it comes to his own storylines, but it's nothing new at all.

They could have even done something, as hokey as it would have been, where every time a heel does something bad, they find a Sting symbol that says "I'm watching you" or something like that. Lights go out and when they come back on, the heel is laid out. That keeps people thinking about Sting and builds to HHH wanting him to show his face.

Honestly, after thinking about it some more, I am kind of glad the Authority is back. I mean, even when they were gone, they were pretty much running that angle anyway. We knew Cena would bring 'em back. Seth was still running around with J&J Security. Kane is still "corporate Kane" even after they were out of power. The Big Show is involved. So nothing really changed anyway. And as Loss has pointed out, it gets Stephanie McMahon with a microphone & her antics back on television. Honestly, I have a soft spot for Triple H too. No matter what he says, good or bad, or if he buries someone verbally or whatever, it always makes for good discussion post-show! So he has that going for him. I think he's a good wrestler too, despite that not being a big opinion around here these days. I'll say it: he'll definitely be on my Top 100 & I liked his Wrestlemania matches with The Undertaker.

I've also come around on Daniel Bryan Vs. Brock Lesnar if they build to that at Wrestlemania. I'm actually pretty optimistic all around as we're heading toward the Royal Rumble. Even The Miz was busting his ass & got a "this is awesome" chant before his second match with The Ascension. Things aren't perfect but they never will be. There's always something that I can nitpick & complain about. At this point, I just have to accept WWE for what it is: there's always going to be an opening 20 minute promo that sets the pace for the show. There's always going to be a top babyface that's booked like a superhero to overcome all odds. I'm OK with that as I can just watch WWE for what they present & what other shows as well for what they give me. I'm really excited for Wrestle Kingdom 9, for example.

Happy New Year, everybody. I look forward to chatting with y'all in 2015 & continuing to work on my BWE list. :-)

Oh man, in recapping the return of Bryan in the latest WON it's mentioned that the plan is still for Reigns to win the Rumble and "according to one person close to the situation, the obvious question this brings up has not been considered".

This is going to blow up in their faces again, isn't it?

The only actual scenario I can see a Reigns backlash is having him and Bryan both in the Rumble, which I would have thought they would have been smart enough to avoid if they really wanted Roman be the "the guy." Batista was just a dude to come back for a little while so fucking him up didn't really have long term consequences. I would hope they would put more thought into how they are going to book their 29 year old "future ace."

I think they are going to be stuck on the idea that Bryan "can't" beat Lesnar. Originally the plan was for Bryan to be the guy to get destroyed by Lesnar at SummerSlam and I'm not sure if he would have even gotten the rematches that Cena got. I'm thinking that Vince doesn't see him as big enough to be credible against Lesnar. Otherwise I'd say the best scenario is Bryan/Lesnar and Reigns/Rusev on the undercard to still give Reigns a big moment.

I think Bryan vs Rusev would probably be one of the best matches WWE can do, but it would be seen as big step down for Bryan to be U.S. champion and I think would hurt him unless they had a really good idea for how to get the belt off him in a quick fashion.

There's a lot that could be improved in WWE, some requiring more effort than others, but the fact that they apparently still don't see Bryan as a top level guy after everything that happened in the last year is just depressingly frustrating. The fans couldn't have possibly made it clearer that they didn't want was was being pushed down their throats but the company is still going to be all "nah, we think this big guy with pretty hair who can't cut our style of promo or work long matches is a much better option".

They're going to end up changing plans if they haven't already. We've seen this movie before. If they don't see it coming, I will laugh at how pathetic that is, but I have to remind everyone that Dave reported that the WM main event wasn't changing all the way to the Occupy RAW segment last time, when it was clear they made the decision earlier than that. I'm not saying his sources are wrong, but they were wrong last time.

Just seen that they tossed off Bray Wyatt vs Erick Rowan on a short, eventless midcard match on Smackdown with a clean finish. With no build, no storyline, no nothing. They really are fucking clueless.

And then they go and run the same matches on PPV for three or four months straight.

Edit: They ran Rusev vs Roman Reigns as well. Jesus christ.

They're going to end up changing plans if they haven't already. We've seen this movie before. If they don't see it coming, I will laugh at how pathetic that is, but I have to remind everyone that Dave reported that the WM main event wasn't changing all the way to the Occupy RAW segment last time, when it was clear they made the decision earlier than that. I'm not saying his sources are wrong, but they were wrong last time.

Yeah, there's no way people won't reject Reigns if they don't re-write plans. Yeah, Reigns could very well be the huge star they are grooming him to be in time, but it's going to go to hell if they book him over Bryan. Why? Beccause we all know that the simple fact of the matter is that Daniel Bryan is who the audience have chosen.

Although it's highly unlikely they would do this, the smartest course of action may be to have both Bryan and Reigns go over the top at the same time and be declared co-winners (a'la Hart and Luger). One of them would get the title shot in the opening match against Lesnar, and the other would meet the winner of that in the main event. Reigns would meet Lesnar in the opening match, which would detirorate because the Authority would get involved when Lesnar is in trouble, and wind up taking out Reigns.

Meanwhile, Bryan has a preliminary match against somebody - perhaps Seth Rollins? In the main event, Bryan meets Lesnar, the Authority tries to do the same thing to Bryan, but Reigns would storm out and clean house (winning the crowd over to him perhaps, as he is the enabler for Daniel Bryan to defeat Lesnar) on the Authority. With the Authority no longer a factor, the match between Lesnar and Bryan continues. Bryan then overcomes the odds and defeats Lesnar for the WWE Championship.

But that probably won't happen.

They should probably make Lesnar vs DB the title match and Reigns vs Cena as the regular match, rather than the other way round. You still get the huge Reigns vs Cena match to pop the buyrate while not pissing off all the fans who want to see Daniel Bryan with the strap.

Booking wise you have a simple story of John Cena winning, and then Roman Reigns coming back older and wiser a year later to take the title off him at Wrestlemania 32.

If WWE doesn't want Bryan to win the RR, then its time to pass the heat to someone who needs it. Who is WWE trying to get over a top heel that perhaps isn't connecting the way they should be? Cesaro? Harper (maybe)? Whomever eliminates Bryan will be the biggest heel in the company plain and simple.

I don't think so. The company is the heel. If they eliminate Bryan, the crowd turns at that moment. It may be 10 minutes, 5 minutes, or 2 minutes before they go off the air, but the minute they toss Bryan then the crowd is going to shit on the match. They aren't going to boo the heel, they are going to boo the company's decision making.