Pro Wrestling Only

Current WWE

Smack2k

It's pretty amazing that for a guy in Cena who will never turn heel, they've pretty much turned him heel on all but the most die hard 6 year old Cena fans. Hell, they've booked Cena as a better heel than most of the actual heels they have.

As much as I want to see the match between Bryan & Lesnar I think if they played it right they could have a much better story between Cena & Daniel Bryan and possibly an even better match in the ring. I know that a Bryan/Lesnar match is now or never but...

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone think they might run something like HHH/Kane/Rollins vs Sting/Orton/Ziggler at Wrestlemania? Might make sense if they don't think Trips and Sting can have a decent match one on one.

That doesn't bode well for Sting, given that his tag team partners have a habit of turning on him...

I try not to get negative about Raw. It's like moaning that my McDonald's isn't nutritional: I know what I'm getting and I certainly have the option not to tune in.

The big difference between WWE and McDonalds is that McDonald's doesn't come out and intentionally shit all over their entire menu nor will they let a product flounder (no pun intended) around on the menu if it isn't selling well (McDLT, McLean, McPizza just to name a few). They certainly don't have the best food in the world (all the sugar in their buns for example nevermind their cheese...) but they're going to pimp it and pimp it hard to get feet in the door/drive-thru. You also better bet that their CEO and horde of executives will eat their own dog food too (not all the time, mind you, but when pushed they will).

clint-eastwood-disgusted-gif.gif

Whats so wrong with Brock getting pinned? Hes not invincible and lost a few matches during his original run. Him being champion has been a terrible idea from creative because the belt isnt being defended at every PPV. From a business standpoint why should a fan buy a PPV that doesnt feature a WWE Championship match for the Heavyweight belt?

As for the Rumble im guessing if Reigns wins the fans will turn on him and boo him out of the building because they will want Bryan to win the Rumble.

I wonder if they'll get "half pregnant" and give Reigns the win, but also give themselves a storyline out with how they book the finish, so that they have a different path they can take if the backlash is out of control. I feel like Dolph or Ambrose winning over Bryan people may not prefer, but they would accept it. Reigns is a tougher sell in the short term, but I think if they spent another year letting him get more singles experience and honing his character, he could probably be what they want him to be.

I wonder if they'll get "half pregnant" and give Reigns the win, but also give themselves a storyline out with how they book the finish, so that they have a different path they can take if the backlash is out of control. I feel like Dolph or Ambrose winning over Bryan people may not prefer, but they would accept it. Reigns is a tougher sell in the short term, but I think if they spent another year letting him get more singles experience and honing his character, he could probably be what they want him to be.

When is this going to end? Its one thing to be disapointed when your fav wrestler doesnt appear or win but to just shit on a main event because you wanted something to happen that doesnt seems a tad disrespectful to the business. Is this going to happen for the next 4 years boo whoever wins the Rumble unless its Bryan?

For me this could have been avoided. Had they not screwed Bryan over at Summerslam and instead let him reign up to the Chamber where Hunter screws him out of the belt and Orton wins in Feb so batista wins the Rumble faces Orton 1 on 1 in the main event and Bryan/HHH battle at Mania where they do some stip Bryan loses he retires but if he wins he gets a rematch against the winner at the next ppv.

I think that's just the reality of wrestling now. Because of the way inside information travels on the Internet, I think the element of people responding a certain way because they know they are supposed to is fading and will be completely gone eventually. In a perfect world, it's not the fanbase that's pulling the strings; instead, they are being conditioned to want certain things the promoter wants to give them, then the promoter delivers them and they're satisfied. But I don't think people respond well anymore when they know someone is chosen to be a top star. They want to be the ones doing the choosing. It's a new form of populism that has spilled into wrestling that was also brought on by WWE breaking the trust of their fans that in the end, there will be a happy ending.

I'll just add this, though. Take it with a grain of salt (just like everything else in this post) because it's just a theory, but if they were building Daniel Bryan up for a title win at Wrestlemania 31, what is more effective -- leaking that he's the planned Royal Rumble winner and is expected to headline Wrestlemania, or leaking that the company really wants someone else in that spot to start a grassroots pull for him again? It's a new type of work that I don't even know how to fully describe because it's rooted in truth. But I do think there is some manipulation going on right now with the news that is leaking.

The thing is though the populism deal started with Austin in 1997 and Vince himself has fully acknowledged that....it's the fact that they are so staunch in their ways now that is the problem but back in 1997 they were #2 behind WCW. The lack of competition means they can do what they want when they want because they are the only game in town at that level.

seems a tad disrespectful to the business.

The fans don't owe the business. Maybe if the business wasn't openly hostile towards the fans, the fans would give them a little more leeway in return, but that's probably never going to happen again in our lifetimes barring a miracle.

The thing is though the populism deal started with Austin in 1997 and Vince himself has fully acknowledged that....it's the fact that they are so staunch in their ways now that is the problem but back in 1997 they were #2 behind WCW. The lack of competition means they can do what they want when they want because they are the only game in town at that level.

To me, one of the biggest differences between then and now is that now, the heat goes to the decision makers, not the wrestler who did the deed. That's why HHH and Stephanie are so effective in their current roles, even if people aren't happy that they came back. Batista was an exception, but Batista is also a star with a really great smarmy persona and it was the perfect storm. I don't think that type of heat transfers to Seth Rollins no matter how good the booking is, partially because Seth isn't as good of a performer as Batista (that's probably a controversial opinion), but also because I don't think people see Seth as one of the bad guys in the underlying story of WWE that isn't played out explicitly in storylines every week. If they want to get him to the next level, it's about time we get some rumors of him badmouthing Dolph Ziggler to management or sucking up to HHH to keep his spot.

it's about time we get some rumors of him badmouthing Dolph Ziggler to management or sucking up to HHH to keep his spot.

Rollins seems like too much of a nice guy on twitter. He just apologized to fans for missing a house show. Yeah he needs to start burying guys and going to the gym with Hunter

I think that's just the reality of wrestling now. Because of the way inside information travels on the Internet, I think the element of people responding a certain way because they know they are supposed to is fading and will be completely gone eventually. In a perfect world, it's not the fanbase that's pulling the strings; instead, they are being conditioned to want certain things the promoter wants to give them, then the promoter delivers them and they're satisfied. But I don't think people respond well anymore when they know someone is chosen to be a top star. They want to be the ones doing the choosing. It's a new form of populism that has spilled into wrestling that was also brought on by WWE breaking the trust of their fans that in the end, there will be a happy ending.

WWE brought this on with all the focus on social media efforts. You brought the fans in close and gave them a voice. The problem is once you elevate and acknowledge the voice of the fans you now have to refocus your efforts to appease them (within reason) because the viral nature of social platforms can crush you in a instance.

Charles mentioned decision makers getting heat.....the last time one of the decision makers wasn't an on-air heel personality was 1997 as well. That is crazy....we are at over 17 years straight of having the heel owner/general manager gimmick run the show.

Charles mentioned decision makers getting heat.....the last time one of the decision makers wasn't an on-air heel personality was 1997 as well. That is crazy....we are at over 17 years straight of having the heel owner/general manager gimmick run the show.

That seems about right and is complete and utter bullshit.

No other move would freshen up the product then removing the on air authority figure. Put someone in the Jack Tunney role who shows up no more than 5 times a year and it would look like a brand new show.

No other move would freshen up the product then removing the on air authority figure. Put someone in the Jack Tunney role who shows up no more than 5 times a year and it would look like a brand new show.

You'd think that would make the most sense given WWE is a corporate entity like other sporting leagues who have commissioners, disciplinary boards, rules boards, etc.

Why not have a guy like Arn Anderson be the Commissioner or move Regal back to the main roster as the Commissioner. This has ways to completely refocus efforts back to coming up with real creative ways to do booking vice the "Evil Authority" crap...

What about Foley in 2000 or Teddy Long on Smackdown?

Foley was humiliated by Vince and Stephanie in an angle on Raw in late 2000 and never really got any revenge. A huge part of that obviously was him turning down the match with Vince at Mania 17 but the point is that even when babyfaces were running things the heel decision makers always seem to gain power in the end. Long was in charge when SD became basically angle free with Vince not paying any attention. Steph was basically a tweener in 02/03 with a slight leaning towards face but then Vince returned as a heel and the show became all about them. So even when faces have a little bit of power they usually go right back to heels. Look what just happened

What about Foley in 2000 or Teddy Long on Smackdown?

Yeah but a McMahon was always around in a prominent on-air role somewhere