Current WWE

Smack2k

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The thing is though the populism deal started with Austin in 1997 and Vince himself has fully acknowledged that....it's the fact that they are so staunch in their ways now that is the problem but back in 1997 they were #2 behind WCW. The lack of competition means they can do what they want when they want because they are the only game in town at that level.

To me, one of the biggest differences between then and now is that now, the heat goes to the decision makers, not the wrestler who did the deed. That's why HHH and Stephanie are so effective in their current roles, even if people aren't happy that they came back. Batista was an exception, but Batista is also a star with a really great smarmy persona and it was the perfect storm. I don't think that type of heat transfers to Seth Rollins no matter how good the booking is, partially because Seth isn't as good of a performer as Batista (that's probably a controversial opinion), but also because I don't think people see Seth as one of the bad guys in the underlying story of WWE that isn't played out explicitly in storylines every week. If they want to get him to the next level, it's about time we get some rumors of him badmouthing Dolph Ziggler to management or sucking up to HHH to keep his spot.

I think this is inevitably what happens when you present yourself as a reality show that everyone knows is fake (and such a major part of the fandom is knowing the real story about, rather than the narrative they try to sell us), rather than a self-contained fictional world. It's not like the heat goes onto George R. R. Martin when someone gets killed on Game of Thrones.

I didn't watch this week's RAW and, based on what I've read, I'm really glad but...Harper vs. Rowan happened?

Good god - I know that they may have interacted a bit at Survivor Series, but there was a time, less than a year ago, when I remember writing in a PPV review that there was MONEY in these two squaring off, that these two monsters finally colliding could be a *moment.*

Now, that was probably a bit hyperbolic and written at the peak of their feud with the Usos, when the two teams were consistently presenting great outings (and possible MOTNs), but I still think the WWE could have had a *minor* moment if these two were to have had a stand-off during the Rumble, even if just for 30 seconds or so in the middle.

But like nearly every potentially-interesting pairing that the WWE could reasonably have as a strong midcard feud to help sell Network specials, they gave it to us on Monday on a show that has been widely disparaged. That kinda sucks for Harper and Rowan, who, in a more protected spot, on a better show, could have probably got a huge crowd response for something as simple as a staredown (again, it might have happened at Survivor Series, I don't remember, but it could happen a half dozen times and probably still get a big reaction each time).

The lack of restraint in WWE's current product is just so frustrating. As Punk once said, McMahon is a millionaire who should be a billionaire and while the particular example above is a frivolous, minute one, it is one of a hundred that can be thought of and those hundred add up.

Sometimes, I think a mass strike would be a cool angle, then I remember they did that with HHH before and he said that he'd just bring a broom to the ring and put on a better show.

Loss, we have a "Triple H is a Douchebag" thread :)

There's not open rebellion but Daniel Bryan and Dolph Ziggler are more over with live crowds than Roman Reigns in most smaller markets too.

Not to mention last year when crowds everywhere, not just in the big markets, rejected babyface Batista. Also, this past Raw was in Corpus Christi, which is traditionally a hot wrestling town. And the crowd was dead as a doornail for most of the night and particularly at the end.

There's not open rebellion but Daniel Bryan and Dolph Ziggler are more over with live crowds than Roman Reigns in most smaller markets too.

Not to mention last year when crowds everywhere, not just in the big markets, rejected babyface Batista. Also, this past Raw was in Corpus Christi, which is traditionally a hot wrestling town. And the crowd was dead as a doornail for most of the night and particularly at the end.

They're determined they're going to get their handpicked guy over in Reigns and all they're doing is repeating what happened with The Rock when he debuted. The difference here though is Reigns doesn't have that presence and charisma that The Rock has. Alvarez's radio show this past Tuesday had a section where they were one of the guys was watching the Flair/Rhodes Rivalries episode and how amazing the promos/interviews were between those two. You'd think it would behoove these guys to review their video libraries and focus on the stuff that worked then repackage it into today's world - especially if you're going to try to push a guy like Reigns who desperately needs help right now...

Alvarez's radio show this past Tuesday had a section where they were one of the guys was watching the Flair/Rhodes Rivalries episode and how amazing the promos/interviews were between those two. You'd think it would behoove these guys to review their video libraries and focus on the stuff that worked then repackage it into today's world - especially if you're going to try to push a guy like Reigns who desperately needs help right now...

Hell, un-repackaged Ric Flair is still pretty influential among NFL players and other cool people.

Hell, un-repackaged Ric Flair is still pretty influential among NFL players and other cool people.

Big Gold always seems to show up at the Super Bowl or NBA Championships. Flair gets quoted by some NFL guys. You'd think...THINK...that might be a Blue's Clue for Vince....

I know everyone is really high on NXT but am I the only one who thinks it's really not doing a very good job of preparing guys for the main roster? It's too cutesy and geeky and the crowd there is really not anything like your average Raw crowd. The Ascension worked in NXT but it feels very low rent when you see it on Raw. Same kind of thing with Adam Rose and his entourage.

I think the main problem between NXT and the main roster is the distinct difference in visions. NXT is preparing talent for the sort of wrestling product Triple H wants. Meanwhile when they get to the main roster that's not the current product and this they begin behind the eight ball so to speak. Outside of retooling NXT, or finally having Vince/Dunn give up the reigns of WWE, I'm not sure there's any way to fix the situation.

Not sure where most of the blame should go either. I think it's clear as day that the main roster has become stagnant and is producing lower quality content. By contrast NXT has been generating great buzz, and in the eyes of many a far better product for a while now. Blame probably deserves to go to all parties. Triple H for grooming talent for a product that is not presently in place. Vince/Dunn for not seeing what is going on in NXT and attempting to work with those characters and augment the main roster aesthetics in some way.

At the end of the day I love NXT, but I do wonder if they are doing a great disservice to the NXT talent by not having them more prepared for what present day main roster WWE has become.

Sounds like the idea of adding Seth is because he can job to Cena in the match so neither Brock/Cena get pinned.

I think id prefer WWE more if they ditched the Authority as the Corporation in the 90s was bad enough but fans have grown up past that and know the ins and outs of the business so a owner ruining a show just doesnt work in 2015. Notice how they wasent missed when they were gone.

They're determined they're going to get their handpicked guy over in Reigns and all they're doing is repeating what happened with The Rock when he debuted. The difference here though is Reigns doesn't have that presence and charisma that The Rock has. Alvarez's radio show this past Tuesday had a section where they were one of the guys was watching the Flair/Rhodes Rivalries episode and how amazing the promos/interviews were between those two. You'd think it would behoove these guys to review their video libraries and focus on the stuff that worked then repackage it into today's world - especially if you're going to try to push a guy like Reigns who desperately needs help right now...

Seems like the only thing WWE ever uses its history and/or library for is to illustrate how the current roster sucks compared to all the cool people who used to be in wrestling.

Sounds like the idea of adding Seth is because he can job to Cena in the match so neither Brock/Cena get pinned.

Cena pins Rollins to win the title, Brock goes Hulk and destroys Cena. Rollins cashes in and wins the title. Reigns wins the Rumble and meets Rollins at Mania, D Bry is taken out of the Rumble by interference from Lesnar, Bryan meets Lesnar at Mania. Is this WWE's likely compromise?

I'd be happy with that scenario and I think most fans would at least be content with it. I don't see fans "hijacking" shows if they know the end game is Brock vs Bryan, regardless of the title.

Don't know if putting Reigns against Rollins will stop the backlash from the "he's not ready yet" crowd but It wont be nearly as bad if he gets the Rumble win AND Brock.

I don't really see how this is going to be an upgrade though. I thought they took Booker T out of the booth as an acknowledgement that he wasn't good. Maybe Lawler will decide he doesn't want to do Smackdown and quit and they'll try someone new in that role (like Regal who I think might even make Michael Cole bearable)

Haven't there been rumblings that WWE was looking to part ways with Lawler soon? I think there was a mention in the thread on the WON board where Mike Sempervive passes questions on to someone in WWE where it was implied they may not be renewing his deal when it ends. I could see going to Smackdown as the start of those preparations.

Haven't there been rumblings that WWE was looking to part ways with Lawler soon? I think there was a mention in the thread on the WON board where Mike Sempervive passes questions on to someone in WWE where it was implied they may not be renewing his deal when it ends. I could see going to Smackdown as the start of those preparations.

I would hope they have a better long term replacement than Booker T then. I mean they've already decided they don't care for him and they have pretty much any ex-wrestler they want at their disposal to try out for the job since they'll probably never go with Regal. Has Road Dogg ever done color?