Pro Wrestling Only

Magnum TA

Blehschmidt

Well Meltzer suggested it in 88: why not turn Dusty heel?

You think Dusty's huge ego would let happen?

Also Magnum vs. Lex

Lex wasn't considered main event level until he left the Horsemen in early '88.

Magnum vs. Tully at main event level (why not?)

This I can see happening. Magnum and Tully had plenty of history together, although I don't think Tully was considered a World Title threat.

Magnum vs. Windham

Barry was only brought in because of Magnum's accident. He'd been in Florida before that, he'd have probably come in to JCP in '87 when Florida got bought out. But I don't see him coming in as a heel, he'd always been considered Dusty's understudy.

Magnum vs. Steve Williams

If JCP was willing to do a big angle with the UWF boys, then yes.

According to both the Death of WCW book, and the Monday Night Wars episode of the Legends Roundtable, Hogan didn't want to turn. He only came around to it when he lost leverage in getting a bigger contract because Nitro ratings were way up after the NBA playoffs, and he couldn't claim ratings were down because he wasn't on TV.

• 6 months later...

Been watching some Magnum in the past week for the podcast, and having seen a lot of Sting in 89 recently, I have to say that Magnum in 85 is maybe twice the worker Sting is in 89. In terms of his punches, his fire, his comebacks, his connection with the crowd, everything pretty much. It's made me think again about him. Would have loved to see him vs. Luger in 88-89.

I was just wondering about general PWO perceptions of a Magnum / Sting comparison.

I've never bought the idea that they were going with Magnum over Flair at Starrcade '86. They wouldn't have rushed to that. His accident was mid-October and they were just barely into a feud with he & Jimmy Garvin. To me it's more likely he would have fought Garvin or Nikita at Starrcade that year. A title win in 1987 seems much more likely.

Anyway I very much see Sting as a guy rushed to replace Magnum. There's no reason to assume Sting wouldn't have ended up there post-UWF so I think it just would have been a slower burn for him. Assuming Magnum had runs with the title in 87-88, Sting and Luger's pushes would have been delayed. I would buy that Luger maybe goes to WWF sooner if there were less spots in WCW. Assuming the buyout still ends up happening the corporate suits may want to go with Sting or Luger based on looks at whatever point the buyout happens. Also don't discount that if the sale is delayed then maybe Dusty isn't in as hot a water so things are massively a question mark if Dusty continues after the buyout. If we assume Dusty still ends up leaving I'm not sure what Magnum would have done. This is all very intruiging though. Ultimately I agree that Magnum probably ends up in a Windham type level of position in the business looking back.

I also suspect that if Maggie blocked Sting/Lex, that one and/or both would have ended up in the WWF and been vastly bigger than they were in JCP/WCW... especially Sting. It's pretty funny given how much Vince invested in the Warrior that he would have been much better off grabbing Sting when the JCP/UWF merger happened.

Assuming Sting even makes it to Wrestlemania 6 without blowing out his knee, the Hulkamaniacs would have resented him for beating Hogan just like they did Warrior. He gets the title just in time for a recession. His title run would underperform just like the Warrior's since Hogan will sabotage him by getting the program with the Earthquake, who was the only fresh heel WWF had left at the time. Vince still jobs him to Slaughter for his silly attempt to capitalize off the war. Sting settles into the upper mid card. Vince would have either got rid him during the steroid scandal or Sting would eventually jumped to WCW as Hogan's sidekick.

I don't think it would have mattered. Sting wasn't going to be a mega star either way.

Add to it that Sting never would have worked guys like Flair and Road Warriors, basically giving him his education that paid off later when Sting went around the horn with guys like Rude and Vader.

I've never bought the idea that they were going with Magnum over Flair at Starrcade '86. They wouldn't have rushed to that. His accident was mid-October and they were just barely into a feud with he & Jimmy Garvin. To me it's more likely he would have fought Garvin or Nikita at Starrcade that year. A title win in 1987 seems much more likely.

Flair just got the belt back from Dusty. They weren't bouncing he NWA title around every few months at that point. If they did Flair-Maggy at Starcade '86, then Flair would have kept the belt in a screwjob... like he did at Starcade 1984, 1985 and 1986 (and 1988 to a degree).

If Magnum had avoided the car wreck, and stayed healthy throughout the year, the first Clash seems like a likely time to make the big title change. Magnum beats Nikita at Starrcade '86 for the US Title and defends it for the first half of '87, dropping it to Lex in the cage instead of Nikita. Magnum takes Nikita's place in the War Games matches. Magnum has to go through the Horsemen to get to Flair, which he does at Starrcade, only for Flair to retain with some kind of screw job.

It culminates with Flair vs. Magnum, live on TBS, with Dillon in the cage, opposite WrestleMania.

JCP would have still gone down the path it did, they were spending money hand over foot, and Maggie extending the great 86 year into 87 and maybe into 88 wouldnt have stopped that blood letting, just give them another plane and more un-neccessary purchases with no one stopping it...

As for Magnum, he would have gotten the NWA Title at some point in '87, that is a given after all the interviews, documentaries that have been done, but could he carry that title and be "THE MAN"? I dont think so, I really dont.

Magnum wasnt at that level on the mic that was needed to carry a promotion and really put people in seats as THE man. Sure, his chase and Flair interviews would have gotten him to the match and the title win, and even some re-matches..but then what? Being the flag bearer means you have to be able to put people in those seats NO MATTER WHAT..and I dont see Maggie doing it.

One other thing that I think would have been his biggest undoing was his look..By 1989 , 1990, would Magnum have been as sexy to the women with that same Magnum PI look, and on a National Stage with WCW, would he have had that appeal to lead a company ala Hogan or Flair? No.

Just my thoughts....

Instead, he would have gone to the WWF and worked with Savage. Everything would have worked out fine...

John

I really believe Randy would not have taken him under his wing like Ric did.

I don't think Ric really "took Sting under his wing" and instead just worked with him... a helluva a lot. Which given how the WWF in that era stretched feuds out even longer (since they worked so many cities), Sting and Savage would have worked together a ton of times.

Then Sting would have feuded with the Million Dollar Man, Mr Perfect, Rick Rude...

Sting would have been fine.

If Magnum had avoided the car wreck, and stayed healthy throughout the year, the first Clash seems like a likely time to make the big title change. Magnum beats Nikita at Starrcade '86 for the US Title and defends it for the first half of '87, dropping it to Lex in the cage instead of Nikita. Magnum takes Nikita's place in the War Games matches. Magnum has to go through the Horsemen to get to Flair, which he does at Starrcade, only for Flair to retain with some kind of screw job.

It culminates with Flair vs. Magnum, live on TBS, with Dillon in the cage, opposite WrestleMania.

I LOVE this scenario..