Pro Wrestling Only

Bruiser Brody

goodhelmet

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said all along. This shit always gets so over the top with Brody for some reason it blows the whole argument up by making the people involved look not very bright.

I guess some people enjoy a good circle jerk more than I, which is cool and all. 2013, a new accepting earth.

For fuck's sake... we were 7 pages into a thread that was already breaking down into joking. Hence more joking.

What more would you like us to do? In the 5th post in the thread, I linked to another post that spent 3700 words walking through a match in detail that reflected Brody being a dogshit worker opposite a rather famous and well thought of babyface team. Perhaps the Brody Fans could take the time to walk through, say, Brody vs Bockwinkel and spend 3700 detailed words on why it's motherfucking great~!

Oh... wait... this is your first post in the thread? Joining it once it's broken down into jokes rather than back when it was actually a discussion? Right... that kind of...

Posted Image

"... blows the whole argument up

by making the people involved look

not very bright."

John

To give this a more positive spin I think Brody is a better worker than Abyss, Stevie Ray and Jeep Swinson among others.

If pressed I would lump Brody in the category with guys like Lance Storm and Kofi Kingston - poor workers that are touted in some quarters, often times for things that I think they are especially poor at. All three guys are gifted in certain ways with Brody obviously being the most gifted of the three in the sense that he had an outstanding look, could be very good on the mic at times and was very charismatic (though I would note that as much as I hate Kofi I think he's pretty charismatic). All three guys could/can have good matches with the right opponent and occasionally things will click and you will get a quality performance from them that hits on the level of their rep. But on average they are pretty bad.

The problem I have with a Listomania of "Guys who are better/worse than Brody" is that it doesn't get to the issue of *why* Brody was great/sucked, let alone the positives/issues with all the other guys who are clustered with him.

Saying that Taker > Brody doesn't really get to why one thinks Brody is flawed, and I'm not sold that it convinces anyone to look at Brody differently.

I *know* that people have pointed out why they think Brody isn't good / sucks / is overrated in the thread. It's just that if it devolves into List-Time, the discussion gets further away from the reasons people think he's not all that.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Brody/Snuka vs Masked Superstar/Murdoch - 12/26/85.

Crowd LOVES Murdoch. The spot where Murdoch apes Snuka's leap frogs and ends it with a dropkick is one of my favorite things I've seen in a while. Crowd is nuts for Brody vs Murdoch. Brody's slam is pretty shitty though. Lots of back and forth early. Murdoch looks universally great. I like Superstar's arm whips when he has Snuka in a grounded hammerlock. Crowd lights up for Calf Branding. What would have been a sort of hot tag is just lame as we get a transition after Brody stomps to break up a pin. I'll say this, he has a good spot where he eats a Murdoch shoulder block and staggers back to a knee only to hit a dropkick when Murdoch tries again. Give and take. Then Murodch hits a dropkick of his own. And Brody's selling is comical. He clumsily backsteps into the corner and then decides to drop down. Superstar has a bunch of fun and varied strikes, and eats both guys' offense pretty well. Brody's suplex almost turns into a jackhammer by accident. Snuka as a very pleasant and gentle backbreaker. There's a nice little segment where Murdoch eats a big brody boot only to duck a second one and hit a cross body. ... And everyone meanders around ringside for the finish. I'm not even sure I could impose a narrative on this thing.

The only thing I got out of it is that Brody has shitty slams and Murdoch is really good at calling spots.