Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
Loss

[1991-02-02-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Fabulous Ones & Jim Cornette

The dissension continues. The Fabs ensure Cornette that they will take out Lawler and Dundee, but no one will lay a finger on Jackie Fargo. I should check the gate for this, because this match was set up immaculately.

An irate Cornette comes back out and boots the USWA ring girls from the set, just 'cause he can. Everything is ABSOLUTELY PEACHY between Cornette & the Fabs...oh, wait, Stan says he didn't make much headway with Keirn. Steve will make every effort to collect Terry Funk's bounties...but a little kid walked up to Keirn outside and asked him not to hurt Jackie Fargo. Cornette throws a fit and lays into Stan a bit, but then recovers to cut an irate promo declaring that the Fabs can win, regardless of the referee. The best build to a match in the short year continues.

Cornette plays the violin after watching the Fargo video. Strutting from the Fabulous Ones. Cornette talks about the deck being stacked against The Fabulous Ones. He takes a shot at Fargo’s age. Kiern and Lane do not agree with Cornette as far as going after Jackie Fargo.

Jim harasses the ring girls and wants them to take off. Kiern has been in totally agreement with Cornette to this point. But they are not to hurt Jackie Fargo. Jimmy is not happy.

I guess it didn't, AJ, because Eddie came back two days later and the Lawler/Gilbert feud continued as if the Fabs had never even come back. Do we even see them anymore in Memphis after this? I know Corny and Stan turned up in Dallas working for Global later in the year.

This was excellent work from Corny, but it feels like a waste under the circumstances. Actually, they could have done this angle without Stan, because he contributed next to nothing. It's basically Keirn vs. Corny, with Stan trying to look like he belongs somewhere close by. If nothing else, though, this angle proved that Keirn could have made a great ruggedly handsome heel for Vince without doing the Skinner gimmick, which I remember as terrible.

I forgot to add in the earlier thread that it says something about what a genuinely funny man Corny is that his line in the previous promo about Fargo being the only living man older than Eddie Marlin got a laugh from a crowd that loves Fargo and respects Marlin. That's the kind of stuff he really didn't get to do during his final days in WCW, and it's great to see here.

Yeah, the Fabs and Cornette were simply too expensive for the money they were (weren't) bringing in, hence the shortened angle. Plus once Eddie came back they weren't as needed.