Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
Charles (Loss)

[1991-WWA-TV] Fuerza Guerrera vs Negro Casas (originally aired in either 1986 or 1987)

It's interesting to see Fuerza working a match without the comedy. This is more title match style, and Fuerza looks excellent, showing that the clumsy act is just that, a clumsy act, and that he's a very accomplished wrestler. I really enjoyed all of this, but the final fall was especially great, with each guy getting increasingly desperate to end this, and the nearfalls piling up. There's no real mean streak on display here. This is two pros going at it in a pretty straightforward wrestling match. But the match doesn't feel like it's missing anything for that, simply because it's executed so well.

Really awesome third fall that descends into a slugfest, then some high-flying, and then back to mat wrestling with some great counters and desperation escapes by Guerrera. Something for everybody, but all the style transitions feel organic, rather than disjointed. Regardless of which year it's from it's a hell of a match.

Casas did look different so it being from another year could make sense. The boxing match to start the third fall was nice. Third fall was enjoyable.

It didn't make the 80's Lucha set. I'd say it warranted a spot. Casas had yet to reach his prime, and you could see that in his movement and hesitation at times. He already had a good ring presence though. Solid work from Guerrera and a decent title match.

Yeah, I knew casas looked helluva young. I will refrain from putting this in my top 100 or ranking it this year but it would have made the top 100 as I dug it a ton. Each fall progressed nicely in the lucha narrative and mixed in some great matwork and stiff strikes.

I guess I'm the outlier, then. The third fall was good, but the first two sort of dragged. I kept waiting for the action to pick up, and it didn't until the third fall. I liked the boxing match within that fall, though, and the high flying looked really good. Maybe if they'd thrown a bit of that stuff in the first two falls I'd have enjoyed this more. It wasn't a bad match, but I could do without ever seeing it again.

I thought this was a great match. Fuerza really puts on a great show and Casas is not far behind on the flash. The matwork is top-notch in the third fall especially.