Pro Wrestling Only

7/7 Smackdown

sek69

One thing that bugged me is that they weren't really pushing that he's an Arab-*American*. Hell, other than announcing him being from Michigan, they never really mention it at all. The crowd chants "USA", the announcers should mention Hassan was born and raised in the USA just to underscore he's an American of Arab heritage. Mick Foley mentions in his DVD that the one thing Michael Hayes taught him is that to cut a really good promo, you have to believe what you're saying. Every time the crowd would chant "USA" at Hassan or when someone tells him "love it or leave it" I'd literally be jumping up and down begging him to cut a promo pointing out he's American just like everyone in the crowd.

Another thing that bugged me about his character is how WWE has to make all Middle Eastern wrestlers dress in native garb, and I've never seen an arab born and raised in the US walk around in full Shiek attire. You'd think someone like Hassan (who's main motivation is his anger in being thought of as a terrorist) wouldn't go around dressed like one of Osama's henchmen.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cam Chaos

One thing that bugged me is that they weren't really pushing that he's an Arab-*American*. Hell, other than announcing him being from Michigan, they never really mention it at all. The crowd chants "USA", the announcers should mention Hassan was born and raised in the USA just to underscore he's an American of Arab heritage. Mick Foley mentions in his DVD that the one thing Michael Hayes taught him is that to cut a really good promo, you have to believe what you're saying. Every time the crowd would chant "USA" at Hassan or when someone tells him "love it or leave it" I'd literally be jumping up and down begging him to cut a promo pointing out he's American just like everyone in the crowd.

Another thing that bugged me about his character is how WWE has to make all Middle Eastern wrestlers dress in native garb, and I've never seen an arab born and raised in the US walk around in full Shiek attire. You'd think someone like Hassan (who's main motivation is his anger in being thought of as a terrorist) wouldn't go around dressed like one of Osama's henchmen.

He used to wear suits. Now he's got a robe and a tea towel with a bike inner tube around it. Why? I thought he stood out more as a well dressed eloquent man seeking to point out the unfair discrimination put upon him as he came across as just like anyone else. They start making him wear stereotypical clothing once they got tired of writing somewhat intelligent promos for him like the one he did with Foley.

This portrayal bothers me a little bit on a personal level too. An acquaintance of mine is dating a Saudi prince and he looks like he's out of a college rock band aside from the jewels and platinum. However Vince is probably convinced Arabs still wander around like their desert nomads even though TV news has clearly shown Arab countries with the men wearing the same kind of casual clothes as Westerners. The only time you'll see robes and head wraps is usually if it's fucking hot and windy so they can minimise any skin irritation by the sand being blown about and use the headwraps the same way American use baseball caps and do rags, to keep their hair out of their face and the sun from burning their heads and necks. I don't see the sun in the arenas so why is he dressed up like he's off to travel the desert?

Guest teke184

*Resists temptation to repeat a former Louisiana Congressman's comment about Homeland Security looking for men wearing a diaper and a fanbelt around their head*

So, did anyone read the Smackdown Spoilers? Is the show worth watching this week? Hassan has pretty much been the highpoint of the show for me recently. MNM just squash nobodies. Batista, for me, is all action when he's not wrestling. I like the Mexicools and The Undertaker's entrance.

Any reason to watch (download) the show this week?