Pro Wrestling Only

Jack Brisco

JerryvonKramer

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Johnny, but compared to the other stuff I've been watching Lawler's matwork wasn't up to scratch either applying the holds or selling. I'm not saying Lawler was terrible at those things his whole career, but in 1974 he wasn't anywhere close to a guy like Brisco.

I really didn't think the Lawler match was very good, and I think Lawler was the problem not Brisco, who has been extremely consistent in all this stuff.

Jack Brisco vs. Jerry Lawler (02/03/75)

This is from Memphis. Lance Russell on commentary. Some massive heel heat for Lawler. Brisco gets cheered. Apparently there were over 10,000 people in the Mid-South Colisieum to see this and it looks absolutely rammed! Brisco is a house of fire to start. Dropkick. Armdrag. Dropkick. Lawler bails. Brisco snapmares him back in. Another snapmare. Great kneedrop by Brisco. Chinlock. Stays in this for some time. Lawler answers with an armbar. Crowd dynamics are interesting here because some fans are cheering Lawler and Lance says some fans love him and some fans hate him. This arm bar goes on for some time. Brisco manages to reverse it. Have to say that this early matwork has been pretty lackluster. Lawler did nothing interest to sell the chinlock and nothing interesting to work the armbar. As I say that, Brisco kneedrops Lawler in the arm while he's working the armbar, thereby making his version of it 150% more interesting. Another kneedrop into the arm. He goes for a third but Lawler catches him on the way down into a bodyscissors. Kneedrop by Lawler. Reverse chinlock. Brisco struggles wildly. See, that's how you sell a chinlock! Brisco tries to struggle out but it's just a hope spot. Eventually he pulls out a backbreaker. Another backbreaker. He fires up. Kick to the midsection by awler breaks momentum. Elbow drop. Suplex. Two count! Knee drop. Brisco comes back with a Greco Roman Back Body Drop! Collision. Shinbreaker by Brisco! Goes for the figure-four, ref bump! Lawler goes inside his trunks. Right punch lays Brisco out. 1, 2 ... 3!!! Your winner and NEW NWA World Heavyweight Champion ... Jerry Lawler!!

But then the ref spots the chain in Lawler's hand. Decision reversed! Lawler is pissed so he gives Jerry Brisco who is standing there in a blue shirt a piledriver. Jack gets up and the Brisco brothers clear house.

This was about a 16 or 17 minute match that didn't seem to have any clipping. I have to say that I thought Lawler brought this match down. His matwork was extremely rudimentary and a bit boring, he did nothing to keep it engaging. His selling wasn't anything notable and he did nothing really to goad the crowd or engage them during the match. Brisco by comparison was Brisco and did all the things you'd expect of him, and I think showed the 24-year-old Lawler up a bit here. It's a decent match, but it's not what you'd hope for out of these two. Lawler failed to match Brisco's fire with effective heel work.

I thought this was interesting to watch. I thought it was cool to see the NWA champ in face mode. They drew 10,000+. It's a neat look that gives Will's talking point about having a face NWA champ some credence. I agree with Parv that the mat work wasn't that great. I can see it being a hang up.I don't view it as one because Memphis's fans weren't conditioned on intricate mat work like Japan,or Florida at the time. So Brisco being a good champion went with a more story telling narrative. Parv has a lot of good points here. For a master at crowd psychology he does little to engage the crowd. Maybe he thought he shouldn't because the the NWA title is on the line. Still when Brisco worked the back and then the leg that was top notch stuff. The body scissors was tremendous by Lawler. The chain finish could have been teased better. Lawler matched up better with Harley style and had a tremendous match. Though I think these guys have a kick ass match in them if Brisco did what he did here and they'd play more into Lawler's strengths like punches, bumping, and pissing the crowd off.. 3 1/4*

This is a tour of Japan for Jack Brisco in 1979. I'll edit it my thoughts when more matches come up. I'll take a look at the 1st one I watched.

Jack Brisco vs. Tatsumi Fujinami 4/27/79

This is kind of a dream match. Brisco the former NWA World Champion, and one of if not the best wrestlers in the U.S from the 70's. On another hand we have Tatsumi Fujinami one of the great workers of Japan in the 80's. It opens up with Jack going after the leg. Fujinami gets a rope break and works a headlock. We get a rope running spot that payoffs with a Fujinami drop kick. Back to the headlock that Brisco counters into a hammerlock. Brisco with a big elobow to the shoulder, follows up with a knee drop into the hammerlock. Brisco works over Fujinami in the corner. We get a rope break. Brisco with s headlock and a throw of Fujinami. Brisco goes for an Adominal stretch on the mat. A counter by Fujinami leads to a rope break. Fujinami goes after the arm. Jack is great at selling the arm. Fujinami moves Jack into a butterfly suplex, followed by a Norther Lights Suplex, and then a gut wrench suplex with Jack fighting each of them. A back drop by Fujinami. Jack gets a double leg take down. Fujinami counters into a head scissors, and then moves into a cravat. Atomic knee drop that looks like he got his back. A leg crank by Jack into the Figure 4. He goes for another one and is kicked outside. Slingshot dive by Fujinami. Jack with a outside in suplex. Fujinami goes for an Oklahoma role that Jack reverses for the win.

I'll go 2 3/4* on this.

Thoughts

I liked this match but it had flaws. The match is only a little bit past 10 minutes. So a lot of the work didn't get a chance to breath. When Brisco sold he was great. I felt he didn't get a chance to sell enough because it was go go go go. I felt the match had to many momentum changes. The big suplex flurry could have been better suited in the finishing stretch.

Jack Brisco vs. Antonio Inoki 5/10/79

Man this is sad. 8 years ago they had this classic. Here not even close. No more intricate mat work, no more battling for position.Man just sad. We get Inoki take about 90% of the match. We see Inoki work the arm. Then he goes to the leg later. His Indian Death Lock was pretty great. To me the best part of the match was Inoki had on his Indian Death Lock, Brisco gets the ropes and follows up with an attempted suplex but the damage to the leg causes him not to hold Inoki's weight. What also made this moment great was Brisco selling the leg prior to the suplex attempt. We get some more Inoki on top. He goes back to the Indian Death Lock. Brisco sells big. Inoki on top bombs away. He misses, and Brisco attempts a Figure 4 that Inoki rolls him up for 3. The finish was good on a bad match. 3/4*

Forget whatever else happened in this thread, it's GWE assessment time. I've acquired an 11-DVD Jack Brisco set, which seems to have more or less everything we have on tape on it. I anticipate that some of this stuff will be clips, but there are also full matches. I think we have more than enough of a sampling size to get a real measure of what Brisco was like as a worker. Two frustrating things about this set:

1. It's not in chronological order

2. There are no dates, so I'm having to look things up and make some guesses too.

On the plus side, it starts with a shot of an actual sheet of paper with "Best of Jack Brisco Vol. 1: Coliseum of Wrestling and Boxing" written on it.

Jack Brisco vs. Mr Saito (1969 on screen caption, seems actually to be 2/10/70)

The commentary on this is really weird because it seems to have like an old hag of a woman on colour with Gordon Solie. It seems like this is an archive clip from around the time of Brisco's debut shown on Florida TV years later in a feature called "Blast from the Past". The woman really objects to this stuff being shown because it's a waste of time and Solie talks about all the letters they've had from fans who really want to see this stuff.

This was either a very short match or just a clip, but it was worked in an incredibly amatuer style (perhaps owing to Saito's olympic past and Brisco's credentials). There was a ton of rolling around in various quick counters before the finish. Pretty amazing to see Saito so young.

Jack Brisco vs Bobby Shane (09/12/1973)

Bobby Shane's ring attire looks not unlike an outfit that could be worn by obscure Batman villian Crazy Quilt.

I've seen rumours that this was Shane's last match before he'd be killed in the tragic plane crash, but that is almost certainly not true because he had a run with the Australian tag titles in 1974 and was killed in February 75.

Only about 3 minutes shown, not enough to get a feel for either guy.

Jack Brisco vs Pak Song (04/17/76)

Joined in progress. Couple of leg drops from Song. He's not wearing any boots. Backbreaker by Brisco and a big knee lift. Two big left hands. Pak Song could easily be Giant Baba's cousin from the way he looks. Big butterfly suplex by Brisco, dropkick. Figure-four. Song counters. And a thrust to the throat by Song floors Brisco. Song throws Brisco out of the ring. Brisco gets on the apron, Song goes for a slam but Brisco counters for an inside cradle to get the Florida title.

We got to see a bit more here, and Brisco looked really good. The backbreaker and butterfly suplex were well executed. He got very good leverage on his drop kicks. The punches looked good. He was very over with the crowd. The sold Song's thrust to the throat like an absolute pro. I've argued before that Brisco was the prototype for the 80s babyfaces like Rick Martel and Ricky Steamboat, and you can really see that here.

Jack Brisco vs vs Terry Funk (03/26/76)

This is from St. Louis, when Funk was NWA champ. Just a low buzzing noise for audio, pretty grainy, clipping. We join Jack and Terry in the midst of a Greco-Roman knuckle lock. Couple of dropkicks from Brisco. Headlock takeover and into a headlock. Funk goes to the eyes and tries to pull Brisco's nose. Funk tries to come back but Brisco goes back to the headlock. Sends him into the turnbuckle and Funk flips over it. Funk sends Brisco packing out of the ring. He flops over the second rope and Funk gives him an elbow. Big piledriver gets Funk two. Neckbreaker gets the three for the first fall, Brisco sells it as if he's having palpatations.

Brisco's down for some time, seems to be really injured. Just to be a cock, Funk gives him a stomp. The ref is trying to revive Brisco but he's in real pain. He can't seem to get up. He sits up and Funk sneaks up behind him with a headbutt to the back of the neck. Funk brings him back up and elbows him right across his injured neck. The match is now officially in the second fall and Funk gets two. Chinlock. Headlock. Funk really grinds this headlock and Brisco struggles like hell. His arms and legs are like jelly being electricuted. Cover gets two for Funk. Brisco hits a desperation shinbreaker which Funk sells wildly. Brisco capitalises by going after the leg some more and gets on his figure-four. Funk sells this wildly flopping his arms about and he submits.

Third fall. Funk is still down and Brisco stalks the ring. Brisco continues his assault on Funk's leg. He takes it outside and slams it on the apron. He works the leg some more. Figure-four! Funk reverses and gets an inside cradle for two. Series of near falls results in Funk getting the pin and retaining the title.

I'm really glad I got to see this, it looked fantastic. We get to see quite a bit of this match and the clipping is not too severe. If we had it in full it would be an easy ****+. The psychology is just excellent here, with Funk destroying Brisco's neck in the first fall and then being a dick in not letting him recover, then Brisco managing to pull off the shinbreaker on instinct which allows him to start targetting the leg. Superb storytelling and all this was tremendously well worked. The selling in this match from both guys was excellent.

Jack Brisco and Black Angus vs. Harley Race and Dr.Bill Miller (1973??)

Apparently from St. Louis. I can't find this match listed anywhere online. It's not on Brisco's career results page on Mid-Atlantic Gateway and it's not listed in various St. Louis resources. Miller is one of those guys you just never hear about, almost totally forgotten to history. Black Angus (of WoS fame) had a run in Central States in the early 70s. Since Brisco is NWA champ here, I'm dating this to some time in 1973. Again no sound for this.

Angus works a headlock on Miller. Race comes in, gets a big slam for his trouble. Miller gets Angus in a bearhug. Race comes in and sends Angus down with a concealed punch. Hiptoss gets barely one. Angus kicks out with authority bringing Miller in to stomp him. Brisco in now and he decimates both heels before taking an assisted backbreaker across Harley's knee. Angus beats on both heels but gets caught with a knee to the gut from Race. Miller covers and gets the three for the first fall.

Brisco levels Miller with a dropkick now. Race comes in. Faces send heels in for the collision. Brisco catches Race with the high dropkick. Slam gets two. Race hits a back suplex to stop Brisco's momentum. Falling headbutt. Angus back in and he takes a slam from Race. Brisco back in with three dropkicks on Race. Backdrop from Angus gets the second fall.

Miller attacks Angus and Race comes in with knees and a piledriver. Brisco gets the figurefour on Miller, Race breaks it. Abdominal stretch now and a kneelift sends Miller over the top. But Brisco gets caught outside the ring. Race suplexes him back in and covers for three. Brisco is out and Race gives him an kneedrop for good measure. Angus was too late with the save. Hmmm, Race pinned the champ!

The clipping on this one was a lot more rampant than the Funk match and it was difficult to follow at times. Miller looked well past his prime here. Angus worked as a big lumbering babyface, but no doubt the match was structured around Brisco as the big star. Race stooged quite a bit for Angus at the start. What came out of this for me was the sheer elevation on Brisco's dropkicks and the extent to which he bumps around. He seems so much more athletic and exciting than everyone around him. Race got his fair share of bombs in here, but the star of the show was Brisco's selling. This has been a throughline so far: Brisco is very very good at selling as well as bumping.

Jack Brisco vs Ric Flair (03/07/80)

Again with this no-sound St. Louis footage. Pat O'Connor is the guest ref; as Larry Matysik never forgets to note, O'Connor would book himself as special guest ref frequently to get double paydays. Armdrag by Brisco to start and Flair immediately begs off. Flair tries a couple of Irish whips but Brisco grabs the ropes to stop them. A lot of rope running here. Brisco connects with a dropkick. Headlock take over. Flair comes back with the atomic drop. More rope running, Flair gets Brisco in the breadbasket with a kick. Atomic drop by Brisco sold like a chicken by Flair. Flair manages to start working on Brisco's leg now. Sends him down with some forearms and gets on the figure-four for the first fall.

Second fall now and Flair stays on the leg, but Brisco is able to counter and comes back with his own figure-four to make it 1-1.

Brisco still sells his own leg injury as he's walking to his corner. Excellent touch. Brisco hits a shinbreaker and Flair tries to beg off. Knee to the shin by Brisco but as he's attacking, Flair sneaks an inside cradle to get the three count. Man, we've seen Brisco take a lot of pins so far!

This must have had significant clipping or else it was a short match, so no rating. It was an interesting dynamic with both guys going for the figure-four and both guys having injured legs by the end of the match. Again, Brisco looked excellent here. His selling is great. He has those deep armdrags which talks to my Steamboat point. Flair worked this in massively chickenshit mode, which is a little surprising in St. Louis.

Jack Brisco vs Terry Gordy (11/03/80)

This is from GCW with Solie on commentary for the National Title. Looks like these two had two singles matches, and I'm guessing this one is from Augusta, GA rather than Rome, GA. Picture quality is very poor here.

Gordy rushes Brisco to start. "Michelle" Hayes joins in stomping. And all three Freebirds triple team Brisco now. Three on one beatdown. Various faces hit the ring to clear house. Brisco is hurt. Looks like there is no actual match beyond the beatdown. Typical Georgia TV.

Jack Brisco vs The Mongolian Stomper [12/12/80)

Brisco again defending his National Title. Stomper works on Brisco's neck with blows and nerve holds. Stomper's manager, Don Carson, is outside the ring distracting the ref. Brisco takes over on offense working the arm and hits a powerslam. Brisco goes for the figurefour, but Carson is on the apron which distracts Brisco ... Stomper pins him to take the title in an upset. Man, in I don't know how many matches I haven't seen Dory Funk Jr take ONE pin, and here Brisco is taking pinfalls left and right!

Jack Brisco vs "Wild" Bill Irwin (1981)

This is from Tampa, FL but can't find a date. Solie tells us that Brisco is the master of the fireman carry takedown and just as he does, as if on cue, Brisco executes one. Solie says that he learned the figure-four from Eddie Graham. Headlock by Brisco into a hammerlock. Grapevine. Wristlock into a lateral press. Irwin gets some knees in. Clothesline. Brisco fires back with some strikes. Butterfly suplex for three. Note: this is different from the Irwin squash I reviewed previously in this thread.

That'll do for now.

The clips are interesting to see how Jack works, but again for the most part we're dealing with clips Bobby Shane looked like a fun heel to watch.. I thought the Terry Funk match looked amazing. It makes you sad that one doesn't exist in full. The Flair match looks like they too have a MOTY contender in them. It looked very Steamboat/Flair esque. The Brisco/Irwin t.v match shows how great of around performer he is. We get a taste of him working holds, we see him sell for a bit, and his charisma was on display.

Jack Brisco vs The Gestapo (1978)

This is in Florida. The Gestapo is Rip Oliver under a hood. As this match starts Brisco evades an attempt to grab him by The Gestapo and stays behind him with a waistlock and then a leghold. Brisco is excellent at this amatuer-style stuff. Droptoe hold by Brisco brings Gestapo down after some rope running. Gestapo gets some time on top now and Brisco sells for him pretty wildly. But this is a pretty quick win for Jack.

Brisco is lightning quick in his counters. And in this match shows that he is more than willing to sell against much lower opposition.

Jack Brisco and Bob Roop vs. Bobby Shane and Bearcat Wright (1972??)

This is either from Tampa or St. Petersberg, 72 at the earliest, 74 at the latest because that's when Wright retired.

I have a suspicion I've seen this match before, see here and his is mislabelled with it acually being Raul Mata tagging with Brisco, which would make the date 3/9/72.

Looking closely, the partner is definitely Bob Roop because he has Bob Roop's face. Going to give traders the benefit of the doubt and assume the two matches are different.

Roop is certainly as fat Raul Mata was. Brisco maybe liked to make himself look leaner by tagging with chunkier guys.

Well, this is definitely the same match as the other one cos Wright and Shane win the Florida tag titles and the finish is identical.

Looks like whoever compiled the original Florida footage mistook Bob Roop for Mata. I apologise for making the "Raul FAT-ter" joke back in July.

Jack Brisco vs. Austin Idol (07/06/79)

I've seen this listed as 3/29/80, but it's almost certainly the June 79 match from the stadium show in Dothan, Alabama.

This starts with a talking head providing analysis in the top left corner. I'm not sure who it is. I'm also not sure what promotion this is from. It's for the South Eastern Heavyweight title with Idol coming in as champ. And that means I'm guessing the TV is from Fuller's South Eastern Championship Wrestling (SECW) promotion. Holy obscurity Batman.

I'd love to know who the the guy talking might be. He seems to be scoping out Idol for an upcoming bout. I'm about 70% sure that it's Steve Keirn based mainly on his face, but this guy has dark not blonde hair, but 1. Keirn did work in SECW around this time, 2. He mentions that he had several title shots with Brisco in Florida and faced his bother a few times too, and 3. He probably dyed his hair blonde after this when he started with the Fabulous Ones. So I'm saying it's Keirn, but if anyone could verify I'd be grateful.

Idol does a lot of heelish stuff to start including begging off and bailing. A HUGE headlock by Brisco now where he wrenches the headlock up and down like a maniac. It actually looked a bit ridiculous he was wrenching up and down so hard on it. Bob Backlund eat your heart out, that's the sort of headlock you could only dream of!

Big hiptoss by Brisco. Idol begs off again. Idol tries to come back and there's lots of motion but Brisco goes to the headlock takeover to stop the momentum. "Keirn" says that he ranks the Briscos as being just a shade below the Anderson brothers in terms of "best brother teams" in wrestling. What about the Funks then "Steve"?

Idol is all schtick and stalling here. He does a thrust to Brisco's throat which looked both cheap and effective. Bodyslam. Knee drop. Unusual execution on these moves from Idol. Brisco hits on Idol's legs to try to comeback but Idol goes to a reverse chinlock to maintain control. Idol works on the leg with a variety of moves including the spinning toehold to set up the figure-four. But Brisco kicks him outside the ring and then brings him back in with a back suplex, but Idol seems to land on top of him and gets the three count to win. Yet another pinfall loss for Jack, yet another labelling mishap from my trader who says "18 mins of match shown but no end/Great Match!" in the listing.

He's not correct on both counts. First, this isn't a great match. Second, we saw the end! I thought this was a real clash and mismatch of styles. Idol was doing a lot of Memphis-y stuff, Brisco would trying to work a no-nonsense straight matchup. It did settle into being a fairly decent match, the action was good, Idol's psychology in focusing on the leg was decent, but I wouldn't call this "great". That said, Brisco continues to impress. He's a great offensive wrestler and a great denfensive wrestler who can sell and bump. Complete worker pretty much.

And that's the end of this disc.

EDIT: It's also possible that "Steve Keirn" was Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert.

I look at more Jack.

Jack Brisco vs The Gestapo (1978)

This is a showcase match for Jack. His quickness is on display. We get a taste of his mat work. He really comes across as the best in the world.

We get an interesting tag match next.

Jack Brisco vs. Austin Idol (07/06/79)

First up I'll agree with Parv that the talking head is Keirn, but not sure. Secondly, he's wrong about the finish. That was a false finish. The wrestlers kept going afterwards, the ref didn't deliver a 3 count. "Keirn" called it but was wrong. So he blew it or the promotion told him to so to give Idol a big win on t.v.

The match itself was a blast. Idol was a real fun heel with loads of charisma. They can't work a technical masterpiece, but can work a great match none the less. We see some great hair pulling spots by Idol. He gets by with some fun heel tactics.Idol is great at working the crowd here. Jack uses the headlock to keep Idol at bay. He mixes the headlock up with high spots. Now both guys are attempting their Figure 4's and various spots to work the leg. The crowd totally eats the match up. We build to the finish that isn't really a finish .Brisco gives Idol an outside in belly to back suplex while Idol hits him with a foreign object that Parv and Keirn thought was the finish. I'll go 3 1/2*. This is a perfect example of Brisco looking like Steamboat when it came to working a match. Parv I thought you'd give Idol more credit for engaging the crowd.

Jack Brisco and Paul Jones vs. Buddy Colt and Johnny Valentine (06/05/73)

This is from Florida, despite the Mid-Atlantic guys. I reviewed this match here. Always cool to catch a glimpse of Johnny Valentine.

Jack Brisco vs. Killer Khan (1979??)

Seems to be from GCW. Brisco controls the early going with armwork and a few of his trademark fireman carry takeovers. Khan gets a little stretch on top and Brisco bumps big for him before switching focus to the leg. Figure-four for the win in this glorified squash.

Jack Brisco and Jimmy Garvin vs. Mike Fever and Gerald Finley (1980)

Back in Florida. Jim Garvin is pretty young here and he still looks sort of middle aged. "Mike Fever" is not a bad name at all. Mike Fever, Mike Feevvverrrr ... we know how to show it!

Brisco wins with the figure-four. Not a lot to get my teeth stuck into here.

Jack Brisco vs. Buzz Sawyer (1981)

This is a $5k challenge. CWF. I think Solie has Jerry Graham on commentary with him. Solie says he's seen Brisco training on many mornings. There's a lot of talk of Brisco getting a shot to regain the world title by taking on Flair soon. He's in the back watching this one.

This is a mainly mat-based affair. First Brisco controls the arm, then Sawyer controls it. Sawyer goes for the scoop powerslam, but Brisco blocks it with the Thesz Press for the three. What a great counter!

Nice little studio match but you'd hope for a bit more from these two.

Jack Brisco and Jimmy Garvin vs Frank Monte and Geoff Portz (1980)

CWF. Brisco and Garvin are the Florida tag champs now. Monte is one of my favourite jobbers because of his beard. Garvin looks pretty smooth in his work here.

Monte and Portz actually get quite a long time on offense here. This is a competitive match and Solie puts Portz over pretty strongly on commentary. The work is very solid but this is too short to rate really. Only thing to note is that Brisco keeps things moving at a decent pace.

Jack Brisco vs Mike Hammer (1980?)

Coach Heath is on colour with Solie on play-by-play. Heath gives things a sense of "real sports" legitimacy that is really rare. He talks about Mike Hammer's college background and how going forward amatuer credentials are going to become increasingly important in pro wrestling. He just SOUNDS like a real sports guy talking about a real sport. Hammer looks quite spritely with a chop and a knee drop, but Brisco makes short work of him with the figure-four for a quick squash.

Jack Brisco vs. Geoff Portz (1980)

Brisco has a knee support and is limping. Dusty Rhodes is at ringside. Portz uses some stiff punches. European uppercut. Targets the injured leg. But Brisco wins with a flash pin off an inside cradle.

Jack Brisco and Charlie Cook vs The Assassins (07/18/80)

Story here is that The Assassins have put Jerry Brisco out of wrestling, so Jack is teaming up with Cook. This seems to be arena footage from the Eddie Graham Sports Stadium in Orlando, but Solie is commentating. Faces really dominate the Assassins before the bell even goes. The Assassin uses powder in Brisco's face, blinding him. Cook tries to go two on one. "El Grande" tries to come to the rescue but gets isolated for a two on one while Brisco is still out of it. Match still hasn't started! Assassins beat up El Grande now. Heel beatdown on El Grande and Cook now. Assassins are pretty dastardly! And that's we, I guess there was no match. Oh well. I feel like I've seen loads of The Assassins injuring guys beore matches but can't recall actually seeing them have a match!

Jack Brisco vs. Herb Calvert (1980?)

Steve Keirn is on colour with Solie. After some early exchanges, Calvert gets a bearhug on, which Brisco sells will some compunction. But then he reverses a hiptoss and applies a figure-four for a quick win.

Jack Brisco vs Sweet Brown Sugar (1984?)

Brisco looks a bit older here with short hair, if I had to guess I'd say this was GCW in 84. Sweet Brown Sugar wears as a mask. This is a match in a tournament to face Flair for the title. Sweet Brown Sugar controls the first five minutes or so with headlock takeovers until The Spoiler appears at ringside and distracts him. The Spoiler says he wants to expose every other masked man in the business. Anyway, Brisco takes advantage of the distraction, but not for long as Sugar gets back on top. Brisco ends up bailing. If I didn't know better, I'd say Jack is playing the subtle heel here. He executes his fireman carry takeover into an arm bar. Sugar bridges up but Brisco jumps on top of him for a pin attempt. Body scissors by Sugar. Series of pin attempts with this by Sugar now. He's worked a very solid mat-based match here has Sugar. Brisco breaks the body scissors and attacks the leg with a kneedrop and a series of follow ups. He goes for the figure-four but Sugar reverses. Brisco steals the win though, with a sly reversal of his own. He has a smug look on his face as he's booed, confirming the fact he was working heel here.

Not a bad studio match at all, especially for Georgia. Brisco gave Sugar a lot here, and shows us a different dimension working heel -- he really can do it all.

Jack Brisco vs Brad Armstrong (1984?)

This also has to be from GCW. Feeling more confident with my call of 84 now seeing Brad knocking about. Winner gets to take on Flair for the title. Heel heat for Jack, big babyface pop for Brad.

Brisco seems to age quite a bit between 81 and 84. Maybe it's because he cuts off his 70s barnett. Two fireman carry takeovers by Brad, which is going to piss Brisco off, as Solie notes. Side headlock by Brad. Headlock takedown. He controls with a headlock now. Brisco tries to come back but Armstrong nails a dropkick and goes back to it. Brisco dumps him out onto the concrete to break the momentum. As the ref counts, Brisco raises his hands for some boos. He has a very smug look on his face.

Armstrong tries to get back in but Brisco lays him over the bottom rope and legdrops him on it, back to the outside. Two big elbows to the back of the neck now by Brisco. Great psychology to follow up the legdrop by attacking that same injured body part. Brisco has the smug grin seemingly permenantly. Head scissors. Armstrong struggles and the ref calls for the bell.

Really good match, even though it was quite short. Brisco plays a great prick heel, and it's nice to see him as the wily veteran at this stage in his career. One of the better Brad Armstrong matches that I can recall. If it had been given another 5 or 6 minutes, this might have beeng great. As it is, simply very good.

***1/2

A lot of short, rather nothing matches here. Nice to see Brisco transition to being a heel later in his career. Next time in this thread, I'll be tackling some of Brisco's longer matches that we have on tape from Japan.

I looked at these matches a few hours ago.

Jack Brisco and Paul Jones vs. Buddy Colt and Johnny Valentine (06/05/73

It was a fun clip, but you don't get a lot out of it.

Jack Brisco vs. Killer Khan (1979??)

Here Jack gets a nice win in the studio. The match told a story and made perfect sense.

Jack Brisco and Jimmy Garvin vs. Mike Fever and Gerald Finley (1980)

This was interesting. Finley looked good, I wonder if he ever got an opportunity anywhere.

Jack Brisco vs Mike Hammer (1980?)

The commentary here is pretty great. Another squash.

Jack Brisco and Jimmy Garvin vs Frank Monte and Geoff Portz (1980)

Kind of funny seeing Garvin in the protege roll. I guess it's Garvin's amateur background.

Jack Brisco vs. Buzz Sawyer (1981)

I liked this a little more than Parv. I dug the quickness and opening shine of Jack getting the best of Buzz. You Jack lock on a Figure 4 arm bar. Then he would do a roll with it. I'm a mark for that move. Sawyer works the arm for a bit. It's not as fun as Jack's but it pushes the story forward. The finish was pretty great, and gets over Jack as like a pinning master. 2 1/2*. Clearly these guys have a great match in them.

We get some more clips, and a squash.

Jack Brisco vs Sweet Brown Sugar (1984?)

This was a fun little match. Sweet Brown Sugar is Skip Young. Parv covers the match pretty good. Brisco clearly was working heel. He kinda had a stare of an assassin. I thought it cheapened Brisco a bit that he needed the Spoiler to help him get control of the match. Brisco did work a bit more rugged here as a heel. 2 3/4 *.

Jack Brisco vs Brad Armstrong (1984?)

This went maybe 4 minutes but it's a great 4 minutes. It looks like Brad is selling a neck injury. I loved how he showed up Jack with 2 Fireman Carry Takeovers. Armstrong controls with a headlock and we see him deliver a great drop kick. Jack goes after Brad's injury. The leg drop on the neck was great. The mean streak Jack shows here was great. Not enough to rate. Damn good stuff though.

Tonight I'm going to be looking at Brisco's NWA title defenses. We will return to Japan next time.

Jack Brisco vs Buddy Colt (12/18/73)[??]

Pretty grainy footage this. I'd imagine this is in Florida not Georgia. Brisco had lots of matches against Colt in both places, but much more likely to have the footage from Florida, I'll take a stab at the Tampa match, but it could be any of about eight. Colt starts out by putting Brisco in a headscissors which he sells dramatically. He bridges up out of it and quickly goes to a grapevine on the leg. Colt looks a bit like Buddy Rodgers. Presently, he manages to turn it around and switches to a headlock now. Brisco slowly powers out, but Colt synches it back in. Shoulder charge. Brisco gets a slam in but Colt answers with a slam of his own. Headlock takeover and back to the headlock. Brisco escapes this time by throwing Colt's leg to the floor, but Colt goes back to it. Brisco breaks free again to deliver a big butterfly suplex. Very nice high spot. Knee drop. But Colt comes back with a thumb to the eye. Backbreaker. Cover but Jack has his foot on the ropes. Sunset flip by Colt but Brisco reverses it for three and the crowd cheer wildly.

Nothing special here. I guess the main thing to note would be that this was an NWA title match with a face champ who let the local heel eat up about 80% of the offense and came out with a flash pin. After the match Colt gets in some cheap shots to get his heat back.

Jack Brisco vs. Don Muraco (05/28/74)

This looks like Florida, Solie on commentary. Muraco must be quite young here. Looks stacked. According to the records he was subbing for Bobby Duncum here. From the way Solie is talking, this seems like a face vs. face match. Brisco targets the back early and gets in a backbreaker, Muraco targets the leg and hits a couple of avalanches. Goes for a spinning toehold. Backslide gets two. Figure-four by Brisco!! Muraco struggles but manages ot reverse it -- in the process somewhat invalidating Ric Flair's recent claim on Austin's show that he was the first to do reversals on the figure-four. And, as if to compound it, Solie says that Muraco is "the first man in history ever to reverse the figure-four!". So there you have it. Maybe Flair wasn't watching.

But now ... in one of the lamest finishes I've ever seen, Brisco gets to the ropes but Muraco is facing the other way so he doesn't see it. The ref counts to five and then DQs Muraco for failing to acknowledge the rope break. Seriously, possibly the worst finish of all time. "The Eddie Graham was a wonderful finish guy". Sure he was.

Either this only went five minutes or it was heavily clipped and Solie acted like it wasn't. I'll assume it was the later, so won't rate this, but holy shit was that finish terrible.

Jack Brisco vs. Giant Baba (08/08/75)

This is from St. Louis and comes with an introduction from Larry Matysik. He explains how Brisco lost the title to Baba on the first day of his tour of Japan earlier that year but then regained it on his last match before coming back. So Baba agreed for this "rubber match" in the WRESTLING CAPITAL OF THE WORLD, St. Louis. Kiel. This is just highlights, footage is real choppy, and of course has Matysik on commentary. Baba works Brisco's arm to start. Hammerlock into a wristlock. Brisco reacts by kicking out Baba's leg from under him and hamstring snap. THANK YOU Larry Matysik, all these matches I've reviewed and I never knew what that move was called. "Hamstring snap". Mark that everyone. Of course it's called a hamstring snap! Brisco continues to work the leg. Goes for the figurefour but Baba comes back with chops. Flying tackle by Baba but Brisco gets a rolling cradle for the first fall.

Baba with more chops now and some stomps. He starts choking Brisco -- interesting to see Baba work as a de facto heel here. Nerve clamp. But Brisco comes back and chops him down. But Baba hits his lariat to make it 1-1.

Baba continues his assault with chops. Side Russian legsweep. Swinging neckbreaker. Brisco hits a dropkick to break some of the momentum, collision and both men down. Brisco goes for a knee drop but misses and blows his knee out. Half-crab by Baba. Brisco goes for a splash but Baba gets his legs up. Brisco hits what Matysik calls "a Greco Roman back bodydrop" and I would call a "back suplex". Matysik remarks "shades of Lou Thesz!". And that'll do for three.

You'd have to think this was pretty heavily clipped too, but they worked a very different match in front of that St. Louis crowd from either of the ones they workd for the All Japan crowds. It was a bit weird to see Baba sort of dwindle into being a generic foreign heel using chokes and nerve holds, but that's what happened. Third fall had more action, but with this being only 7 minutes from a 2 out of 3 fall match it's difficult to comment really. I can't imagine Baba would have let that blown knee in he third fall go, for example, but we don't see any follow-up.

Jack Brisco vs Edourd Carpentier (04/04/75)

This is completely silent footage, this is from St. Louis. Handshake between the two of them to start. Hammerlock by Carpentier, who looks a little squat, almost like The Crusher. Headlock takeover by Brisco. Inside cradle by Carpentier. Brisco ralles with some big left hands. Front facelock. Handstand by Carpentier. Crossface chickenwing by Brisco! Into a headlock now. Irish whip by Carpentier. SAVATE KICK! What the flying fuck?! I'm going to rewind that and watch it again to see if I was seeing things. Wow, eat your heart out Shawn Michaels! Ha ha. Snapmare by Carpentier. And now he does this little thing where stands with both of his legs either side of Brisco's neck and twists off to the left. Brisco sells this as if Carpentier has broken his neck. I love Brisco's prolonged selling of moves. Carpentier targets the neck now more with a headlock. But Brisco comes back with shoulder charges. He charges him into the turnbuckle. Irish whip to the other corner, but Carpentier flips up over him. Backwards handspring somesault and Brisco charges. Savate kick! Holy shit, Carpentier! I can't believe this guy. Irish whip and Carpentier with a double palm strike to Brisco's throat. He goes down. Forward somersault splash by Carpentier! And again. Wow, 1, 2, 3! Ref raises Carpentier's arm. Brisco is dying in the middle of the ring. Brisco nurses his ribs. This has to be 2 out of 3 falls I'm guessing.

Brisco is still nursing his ribs. He's already had his neck hurt, now his ribs. Brisco is seriously one of the best sellers of an injury ever. He's reminded me of a lot of future faces so far, but in this match he's reminding me of Randy Savage. Carpentier stays on top of him. He's trying to keep back because the ribs are still hurt. Some desperation offense from Brisco is cut short by Carpentier smashing him in the ribs. Brisco crumples to the mat and down to the outside. Back in and he goes for a headlock but Carpentier gets an arm drag and now gets on a bearhug. Totally makes sense to do a bearhug here. He looks like he's about to do a Boston crab, but no he catapults Brisco just up and over into the mat! I've never seen that spot before, usually the catapult is into the turnbuckle, not into ... *nowhere*. Brisco lands on his injured ribs, naturally. Karate chop by Carpentier. More of these flip splash things now. He misses one which allows Brisco to get an atomic drop in. Carpentier sells this like he's been electrocuted. The full shaky leg and arm sell. Brisco covers for the second fall.

Brisco with some knees and strikes now and he goes to dump Carpentier ... who skins the cat. This is ridiculous. Lefts and rights from Brisco now. But Carpentier gives him some punches in the corner before doing a back flip into a handspring backflip and another savate kick. Back drop. Big clubbing blows by Carpentier. Both guys tumble outside and fight ... Brisco manages to get back in the ring for a count out victory as some fans throw trash into the ring.

Well first of all, wow, Carpentier. I don't know if he was great or anything, it's just a legitimate shock to see a guy in this early 70s environment, built like he is, doing back flips, skinning the cat and super kicks. It's kind of mindblowing. I have to assume there was some clipping, but we got a lot of this and it looked like a REALLY good match in the **** range. The selling from Brisco is again off the charts, and this helps make the psychology work really well. Carpentier has some offense I've never seen anyone else do, ever -- like the catapult into nowhere, and the neck twist thing. I should also mention that this is the closest we've seen Brisco to working as subtle heel as champ, because this was more or less your Race/Flair match vs. hero and making them look good, complete with cheap win. When Brisco went to dump Carpentier, that's a sure enough signal of some subtle heelery, despite the goody-two-shoes handshake at the start. And despite the fact I couldn't hear anything, I can't imagine those fans throwing rubbish were cheering -- HOWEVER, this was St. Louis, so they might have been upset by the countout finish rather than booing Brisco.

Jack Brisco vs Spiros Arion (08/21/73

If you want obscure footage, how about this ... Brisco vs. Arion from Australia! This is black and white with an Aussie commentator. Arion starts out on top with some uppercuts and clubbing blows. The commentator says that this has been a good match and he wishes we could have joined him from the start -- he explains that Arion has been the aggressor from the start and Brisco has been on the defensive, using technical wrestling. He says that Brisco was notably the first one to resort to illegal tactics and that if this was a fight he'd have Arion ahead on points. Interesting. It's kind of hard to tell who is who here. I think it's Brisco who gives Arion a shinbreaker. Ref bump!! The ref falls out of the ring. Arion gets an atomic drop but the ref isn't there to count. Ref comes back in and Brisco kicks out at two. The commentator shouts that Arion isn't just wrestling this match for himself but for every Australian watching! Irish whip into the corner. Another atomic drop by Arion and he covers but Brisco has his leg on the ropes. Arion -- like so many future idiots, including Sting after him -- things he's won the belt and starts to celebrate, but the ref points to Brisco's leg on the rope. The match continues. Arion smashes Brischo into two different turnbuckles. Elbow smash, and Brisco goes for a quick inside cradle, but Arion breaks it. Arion tries another elbow but Brisco locks on the abdominal stretch. Arion hip tosses to counter. He picks up Brisco for another atomic drop but Brisco kicks off the top rope to turn it into a back suplex of sorts which ends up knocking both guys out. "I don't believe it, the first time I've ever seen it in my 21 years commentating, a double knock out!"

Man oh man, we're seeing all of the possible cheap finishes tonight. I thought it was really interesting seeing Arion as a babyface in Australia here and so strongly backed by the fans. I have to say I don't recall seeing too many double KO finishes ever either.

Between this, the Carpentier match and the Muraco match, you can start building quite an effective case that Brisco was booked similarly to Race and Flair in some places. They certainly had the cheap finishes and in a lot of these matches he's been mostly selling with the opponent on offense 70-80% of the time. Brisco isn't heelish though, just kinda neutral.

Jack Brisco vs. Jerry Lawler (02/03/75)

This is from Memphis. Lance Russell on commentary. Some massive heel heat for Lawler. Brisco gets cheered. Apparently there were over 10,000 people in the Mid-South Colisieum to see this and it looks absolutely rammed! Brisco is a house of fire to start. Dropkick. Armdrag. Dropkick. Lawler bails. Brisco snapmares him back in. Another snapmare. Great kneedrop by Brisco. Chinlock. Stays in this for some time. Lawler answers with an armbar. Crowd dynamics are interesting here because some fans are cheering Lawler and Lance says some fans love him and some fans hate him. This arm bar goes on for some time. Brisco manages to reverse it. Have to say that this early matwork has been pretty lackluster. Lawler did nothing interest to sell the chinlock and nothing interesting to work the armbar. As I say that, Brisco kneedrops Lawler in the arm while he's working the armbar, thereby making his version of it 150% more interesting. Another kneedrop into the arm. He goes for a third but Lawler catches him on the way down into a bodyscissors. Kneedrop by Lawler. Reverse chinlock. Brisco struggles wildly. See, that's how you sell a chinlock! Brisco tries to struggle out but it's just a hope spot. Eventually he pulls out a backbreaker. Another backbreaker. He fires up. Kick to the midsection by awler breaks momentum. Elbow drop. Suplex. Two count! Knee drop. Brisco comes back with a Greco Roman Back Body Drop! Collision. Shinbreaker by Brisco! Goes for the figure-four, ref bump! Lawler goes inside his trunks. Right punch lays Brisco out. 1, 2 ... 3!!! Your winner and NEW NWA World Heavyweight Champion ... Jerry Lawler!!

But then the ref spots the chain in Lawler's hand. Decision reversed! Lawler is pissed so he gives Jerry Brisco who is standing there in a blue shirt a piledriver. Jack gets up and the Brisco brothers clear house.

This was about a 16 or 17 minute match that didn't seem to have any clipping. I have to say that I thought Lawler brought this match down. His matwork was extremely rudimentary and a bit boring, he did nothing to keep it engaging. His selling wasn't anything notable and he did nothing really to goad the crowd or engage them during the match. Brisco by comparison was Brisco and did all the things you'd expect of him, and I think showed the 24-year-old Lawler up a bit here. It's a decent match, but it's not what you'd hope for out of these two. Lawler failed to match Brisco's fire with effective heel work.

Jack Brisco vs Johnny Valentine (06/24/75)

You'd expect this to be from Charlotte wouldn't you, but Solie being on commentary suggests Florida again to me and they did have a match in Tampa on the listed date. Even so, Solie puts over Valentine as the US Champion. I believe this is taken from the "Gordon Solie: Film Room" that showed on WWE 24/7 some years back. Valentine with some clubbing blows. Armdrag by Valentine. Armbar. More clubbing forearms by Valentine. Brisco comes back with a few roundhouse left forearms. Big kneelift by Brisco. Bodyslam. Valentine tries to bail but Brisco catches him. Snapmare. Knee drop. Bodyslam by Valentine. Dropkick by Brisco. And now the figure-four! Valentine gets to the ropes. Brisco elbow drops Valentine's injured leg. Rolling cradle gets three for Brisco.

We only get about 3 and a half minutes of this, so not a lot of comment on. It has been interesting to see Brisco completely switch up his style to suit whoever he has been facing. Against Baba he becomes tactical, against someone like Arion in Australia he plays Ric Flair, against Lawler he plays the firey babyface, and here against Valentine he ramps up his strikes and punching to match Valentine's clubbing blows. We're certainly seeing a lot of sides to Brisco during this NWA title run, even if there aren't a lot of classics in here.

Jack Brisco vs Bill Watts (09/13/75)

Sticking with this "Solie Film Room" stuff -- I should have mentioned that JR has introductions in between the match clips. Still in Florida. Of course, Solie on commentary but he's got Watts himself with him. I want to pause right here and say that this is a DREAM commentary duo, Solie on play-by-play, Watts on colour. Theoretically one of the ultimate commentary teams. Gary Hart comes out to issue a challenge to the winner but Watts decks him and kicks him out of the ring, ha. Watts on commentary says that he wanted to face Brisco in St. Louis but got swindled out of it, so he's "come to face the lion in his own den". Cool line, cool idea. And sure enough Florida seems like Brisco's "home territory". Watts claims that Brisco is like a savage which is a "throw back to his tribal heritage". Ha ha ha. Watts is amazing, terrific heel already during this. He maintains he didn't try to attack Brisco when his back was turned (he clearly did). He jaws the ref. Elbow and collar tieup. Side headlock by Brisco. "Look at the power in those legs" cries Watts, referring to his own legs. This is legitimately amazing to hear Watts big himself up on commentary. Brisco does some neat agile little counters.

Watts: "No man in the world could have stopped him there, but right now I'm ahead on points and he knows it". Only been one minute and 36 seconds and I'd warrant if Watts isn't better on colour here than some guys have been in their entire careers. Brisco fires up and is ready to fight. Watts puts his dukes up, but as Brisco comes towards him backs up into the turnbuckle and puts the ref between himself and Brisco. Great little bit of psychology. Meanwhile on commentary Watts is claiming that he "believes in the rules and regulations ... otherwise I'd have thrashed him". Ha ha ha!! Bill Watts should commentate on all his own matches. Three deep armdrags by Brisco now. Watts bails. Solie claims that Watts is getting frustrated. Watts claims that he taught Brisco everything he knows and should have much more pride than he is showing now about how a STUDENT of his has become the world champion. "But when I beat him, you'll see who is the student and who is the master". Big left hook by Brisco and Watts cries foul that it was a closed fist. Dropkick by Brisco! Watts says that Brisco has one of the most explosive dropkicks along with Tony Charles. Brisco catches Watts's leg and Watts goes to the eyes. "I'm having to use some of Jack Brisco's tactics there". Honestly, this is a tremendous performance on colour by Watts. Brisco eats the turnbuckle. Hammerlock by Watts. Brisco flips up and over. Goes for a rolling cradle, reversed by Watts which gets two! Nice bit of action. Brisco is ready to fight. Watts calls Brisco a "spoiled brat" for resorting to fighting just because he countered his move. Lovely butterfly suplex by Brisco gets two, but Watts has his foot on the ropes. Snapemare attempt by Watts, so Brisco goes to the abdominal stretch. Watts breaks it and Brisco lands near the ropes where Gary Hart stomps and chokes on him. Watts on commentary claims he has no idea why Gary Hart is doing that and has no ties with him ... hmmm. He pulls Hart from him and shoves him back down to the apron. On commentary he says that he doesn't want anyone jeapoardising his chance to win the title and wants to win it fair and square. Hmmm ... intrigue.

Watts throws Brisco into a turnbuckle. Bodyslam. Hary runs up onto the top rope and lands on Brisco, which gives him a DQ win. Hart runs away. Jerry Brisco runs out in white jeans and tries to stop a heel beatdown from Watts. Watts on commentary calls Jerry a "heathan savage".

I can't be sure if this was clipped, I don't think it was, but man was this entertaining! Watts on commentary is gold, and he plays such a subtle, sneaky heel during this match. Brisco is great as always, but here he has a real foe to deal with in Watts. The stuff with Gary Hart outside of the ring I'm guessing would have played into next week's TV, but it added some additional intrigue here, even though the finish was a bit disappointing. Watts was much more effective here than Lawler was, but the match is too short to get any more than I've given it. I LOVED this though.

***1/2

Jack Brisco vs Harley Race (11/09/73)

According to the trader this is a "rare match" from 73. I think it's from Houston, but not the match where Brisco beat Race for the title (07/20/73), but their second match there four months later. Crowd sound (faint) and no commentary -- Houston is the only place they wrestled where I can see them having tape (they also worked El Paso, Kansas and Atlanta). Race has the "blonde bomber" hairstyle here and an awesome moustache -- tremendous look! Couple of big slams by Brisco to start. Goes for a third but Race reverses into a body scissors. Big back breaker by Race. Knee into the back, twice more. Another backbreaker. Cover gets two. Piledriver! You see that Steven Graham, you Canadian snob! MOVEZ~!! Goes for the falling headbutt but misses. Brisco sells the back injury. He comes back with his big fists, kick, knee lift. He fires up and the crowd cheers. Race is upside down in the ropes. He backs up and begs off. Brisco makes him eat some turnbuckle. Sends him into the corner and Race does the Ray Stevens flip over the top onto the outside. Butterfly suplex by Brisco!! Big kneedrop. Cover gets two. Brisco charges but Race gets a sunset flip for two. Wristlock by Brisco. Knee to the gut by Race. Gutwrench suplex! Cover gets two. Vertical suplex! The falling headbutt! Brisco does the shaky leg sell, he's out! Kneedrop to the head by Race. Cover gets two. "Go Jack Go!" chant from the crowd. Headlock by Race but Brisco gets a back suplex out of it. Cover gets two. Collision. Brisco goes for the figure-four but can't get it. Race goes for a vertical suplex but Brisco struggles and lands on top of him. Race goes to the top but gets slammed from it. Cover gets two for Brisco. Backbreaker by Brisco! Race gets his legs on the rope. Kneedrop from Brisco. Headbutt to the midsection by Race. Another headbutt and Brisco flops back onto the mat -- almost like a reverse Valentine face flop. Race backdrops Brisco to the outside and the tape cuts out.

Awww crap, this was shaping up to be an awesome match. Brisco shows once again how he can just mould his style effortlessly to match his opponent. Race wants to trade bombs and high spots? Sure, let's go then Harley. And that's what we get. For another one of our ongoing talking about regarding the evolution of style -- it's interesting that these two were having this sort of match as early as 1973. This wasn't clipped, it just cuts out short. There was virtually no downtime here at all. Bomb, bomb, bomb. Race seems like he was working this style from the very start. This is 73, about as early as we've got of him. Can't give a rating but this really looked like it could have been a wonderful match.

Jack Brisco vs. Don Muraco (07/30/74)

This is from Florida and was officially a rematch from the previous encounter. Again no commentary. Greco Roman knuckle lock struggle to start. Footage is less grainy here so easier to tell these two apart. Brisco is really fired up. Big elbow smash by him. Cover gets ... nothing. Couple of lefts are met with some big rights by Muraco and a knee lift which pops the crowd. He goes for the spinning toehold but Brisco escapes and goes for the figure-four which he can't get on. Headlock by Brisco. Rolling cradle by Muraco. Brisco powers out. "Go Jack Go" chant. Cover by Muraco gets two. Back suplex by Muraco. Cover gets two. Backbreaker by Brisco. He rolls Muraco up but his shoulders aren't quite down, some struggle, but he gets the pin.

This surely wasn't the whole match.

Jack Brisco vs. Terry Funk (12/10/75)

Back to the Solie Film Room footage. This happened in Miami Beach and was the match where Funk won the title, he was actually subbing for Dory. Interesting that Race subbed for Dory when he lost the title (and Brisco won it from him) and now Dory is subbed out again when Brisco is dropping the title. One of those little things. We join the match 20-minutes in progress. Funk flips over the turnbuckle. Double collision. Funk tries to get up but flops back down. Shinbreaker by Funk. Solie: "Again, Brisco, his face ... a mask of agony". Gordon Solie was a poet. Funk drives a knee into Brisco's leg. Spinning toehold! Brisco counters and goes for the figure-four. Funk struggles. Brisco goes after him with some really vicious looking flailing punches. Hamstring snap. And again. Goes for the figure-four but Funk kicks him off into the steel post. Side headlock by Funk but Brisco gets a back suplex to counter. Brisco goes for the figure-four but Terry counters with an inside cradle and makes history by winning the world title.

Well this is only four minutes, but what we saw looked good. Historical match.Post-match we get an interview with Funk. Solie has the stick. Terry looks incredibly proud and says that it's "the proudest day of his life". Solie mentions that the return match will take place in Tampa. Funk's face drops from all smiles ... "now wait a minute, I thought the return match was going to be in Amarillo, Texas!". And now in an extremely interesting moment, Terry Funk makes a vow...

"I intend on being something that Jack Brisco never was ... and that's an offensive champion. Not a defensive champion! Not the kind of champion that continues running to the ropes constantly during the match. I'm going to take the fight to the man, and prove to these people that I will be the finest champion that the world has ever seen!"

Very interesting because Funk is basically calling Brisco out for working what we might think of as "NWA champ style". I mean there's a bit of heelishness in here, so we have to take it with a grain of salt, but if the new champion is commenting on the defensiveness of the old one, it might have been an idea that was in the ether.

Interview with Jack now. He says he plans on having the title back. He made a foolish mistake and paid for it. Brisco says that he trained and studied to face Dory Funk Jr but then at the last minute turned up here only to discover that he had to face Terry, so this is why he insisted on the caveat of the rematch in Tampa, where he has a lot of "home support". Brisco also had Funk down for a five count at one point in the match while the ref was out.

Couple of weeks later now and it's Terry Funk in the studio with Solie, who asks him if his feelings about the rematch have changed at all. Funk: "Jack Brisco is on the downslide of his professional wrestling career. From becoming a champion, in three short seconds, instead of making history he's become PAST history. There's no more problem about who is the predominant family in wrestling any more, the Funks or the Briscos. And like I said, I plan on being an offensive champion!"

I'll be incredibly interested to see if Funk ever delivered on his promise of being an "offensive champion" or if it was just hot air.

-----

It was really interesting to see Brisco as champ in a variety of different places against a variety of different opponents. Some more general thoughts soon in GWE.

I watched all of these. It's an interesting look at Jack in his prime. These are basically highlights except the Lawler match.These alone won't make a case for him. Though if you put these as supplemental with his 9 or 10 complete matches in his prime, his post prime stuff in the early 80's, and his tag run with his brother helps flesh out Jack as a performer. I really loved the Watts highlights.

I'm going to be looking at Jack's matches from Japan during pretty much his prime. I'll be editing matches in throughout.

Jack Brisco vs Antonio Inoki (08/05/71)

I looked at their match from 79 earlier in the thread and that match was bad. This one was awesome. Inoki is one of the most hit or miss wrestlers I've ever seen. Brisco in his prime was at worst one of the top 10 workers in the world. It's amazing to look at the 2 matches side by side at how far apart on the spectrum they were. It was 8 years but man.

The 1st fall we see some great mat wrestling. Inoki was good here, but Jack was amazing. Inoki would hook on a move and Jack was constantly fighting and looking for escapes. The 1st minute was so fast and quick. Inoki had the early advantage and went after the leg. He would then move up and work the headlock. Jack was great at his selling from the big stuff to the more subtle stuff. Jack would get a run on top and really go after the leg. His work on the leg was so nasty. Jack slowly morphed into working subtle heel. He threw some punches and some mean looking strikes. We see some big moves like Brisco's butterfly suplex that Inoki fought. Inoki not to be outdone delivers a German Suplex. I loved the finish of the fall of Inoki going for his finish that Jack counters for the win. I really like Jack using flash pins which makes sense with his amateur background.

The 2nd and 3 rd falls were strong too. We see more of the same strong mat work. Inoki's key lock was really great and they did a great job of milikng the drama. Inoki won the the next 2 falls. I loved how Inoki went back to the Octopus for the submission.

Final thoughts:

Jack was spectacular here. He was great at everything he did in the match. I wish Inoki would have sold more with his face when in some of these holds. He would show struggle applying a move but kinda didn't emote enough. I thought Inoki was great at working holds with Jack. The struggle in this match was outstanding. 4 3/4* match.

Jack Brisco vs. Jumbo Tsuruta (01/30/74)

This is for the NWA title and we have a Sam Muchnick sighting here. We start out with goes guys going for takedowns that both men stuff. Jumbo on top with some arm work. This is executed solidly. Nothing too flashy but it's constant and has a kinetic energy to it. Jack is great at selling it and trying to counter it. So this was a good base for the 1st fall. Jack's bloody lip added to the fight they were in. The 1st 8 or 9 minutes is all Jumbo with the arm work. They're getting the story over that Jumbo has Jack's number. This is further cemented when Jack has to cheat with a hair pull in a overhead wristlock battle to finally get an advantage. Jack starts with the headlock and then starts to work the legs. They do a little back and forth till Jack gets the win with a Billy Robinson Backbreaker. Cool story of the 1st round where Jack makes Jumbo look like a guy who got unlucky in the 1st fall.

The 2nd fall starts with a headlock by Jack followed up with a nasty elbow. If people worked a headlock like this no one would call a headlock boring. Jumbo on his comeback goes after the leg with a counter of an atomic knee crusher. Now Jumbo goes after the leg with nasty work on it. This works because his arm work came up short in the 1st fall so let's try another body part. I'm usually a guy who likes you to stay on a particular body part. Though in a 2 out of 3 fall changing it up really works cause each fall can be worked with different strategies to capture a fall. Here it's Jumbo on the leg. My complaint is some of Jumbo's stomps lacked ooomph. Jack's selling here also takes the work up a notch and really makes it compelling. A nice touch was when Jack got vertical and was retreating he closed his body up so his left side was protected. The finish with awesome with a Jumbo Butterfly followed up by an Overhead Belly to Belly Suplex for the 3 count. What a great fall that really ratches up the drama. It looks like Jumbo is on fire at this point.

The 3rd fall we now see Jumbo going after the back. Again at times Jumbo's stomps looked soft. Still the idea is there. The finish is Jumbo going for an Oklahoma roll, that is countered by Jack for the 3. Who better to counter an Oklahoma roll than someone from Oklahoma.

Final thoughts. This was good stuff. Jumbo was great at focusing at working body parts, that accentuated by Jack's selling.Some of the work was so subtle you really need to pay attention. Jack did a great job of making Jumbo a threat. The work at times came across as sterile because with the exception of the finish of the 2nd fall that match lacked pop. What it did have was good story telling, really smart work, and some great selling. Jumbo's stomps at times were bad, and wish we saw Jack on top for a bit more. Still this had too much great stuff. ****

Jack Brisco vs Giant Baba (12/2/1974)

This is another good title match. We open up with Baba going after the arm. Jack counters it with an ankle pick. This sets up Jack working the leg with a variety leg locks I loved Baba sneaking in a headlock counter to all the leg work. Baba fights back. He uses a standing surfboard for a bit. This might have lasted a bit too long though. Brisco isn't giving up he throws a nasty punch right at Baba's ear. Baba positions Brisco for a Russian Leg Sweep for 3. The break between falls is telling as Brisco is selling between falls.

The 2nd fall Baba starts out attacking Jack's neck. Jack is trying to get some seperation to no avail. Baba gives a big Atomic drop here. Not to be out done Jack delivers a huge Belly to Back Suplex. In a call back to the work on the leg in the 1st fall Jack locks in the Figure Four. Baba is selling it big here. Baba's selling really milks the drama here. Brisco with the Figure Four for the 2nd fall. Now in between rounds it's a big contrast between the 1st fall.

The 3rd fall begins with Baba trying to cause seperation from Jack so his leg can get better. Baba closes his body to protect his leg. Baba also uses his reach to keep Brisco at bay. That was a nice touch. Baba can't keep him off for long and Jack is working the leg with inner thigh shots. To make matters worse Baba uses his knee as a weapon and hurts it even more. Baba goes back to the Russian Leg sweep for a great nearfall. Which is also a great call to the 1st fall. Baba finally gets a hanging clothesline on Jack for 3 and a new NWA champ.

Final thoughts:

I thought this was real good. Both guys really impressed me here. The drama in the second and third falls really had some great drama in it. It was also very layered when it came to performances. I thought the mat wrestling in the 1st fall was good and had a real chess feel to it. **** 1/4

Jack Brisco vs. Giant Baba (12/05/74)

1st off Parv by rare I think the collector meant as in a title defense was rare. I loved this match.

The first fall was so great. The mat wrestling was good here. Brisco working a headlock and Baba was fighting it every step of the way. The struggle here was off the charts. Brisco had the headlock while Baba was fighting for the leg. The work here with the headlock was so damn engaging. They mixed this up with some great struggle on a couple of overhead wristlock spots. The stakes are high here so Jack resorts to cheating quicker than in the 1st match. Eventually Baba is working a real compelling wristlock on the ground.This in turn morphs into a cross arm bar. This was all good stuff. We see Jack get some more work on the leg. The leg work was had a real edge to it. In a great call back to the 1st match Baba attempts his running swinging clothesline, but Jack sniffs it out and delivers a dropkick to counter. He follows it up with a back suplex to capture the 1st fall.

The 2nd fall is real hot. We see Baba go after Jack's back. This was great. On top of that Baba really uses his weight to great advantage. This really adds a lot this fall. Seeing Baba work a Boston Crab was tremendous. He looked like he got serious torque. Brisco's desperation back slide was a neat near fall. Baba with the swinging neck breaker to capture the 2nd fall.

The 3rd fall we see it breaking down into a fight. The strikes were ok, but not really their strengths. I thought Baba's looked better. Baba after the back with high impact moves. Brisco goes for the same stretch as the finish of the 1st fall. This time Baba is ready and counters the Back Suplex to capture the 3rd fall.

Final thoughts:

This match was so amazing. It's even better than the 1st. It's a few minutes shorter and they seemed to cut some of the fat out of it. The mat wrestling was better in the 2nd match. The match had a more aggressive edge to it. They built off aspects of the previous match. They built off aspects of previous falls. The story telling here was top notch. Both guys put on great performances. Brisco's fire and selling were really on display here. I can't put over enough the struggle in this match. A true classic, and a phenomenal match. **** 3/4.

Jack Brisco vs. Bobo Brazil (03/13/75)

This will be a test for Jack. Bobo has a rep for drawing money but being a terrible wrestler. Brazil has this white stuff coming out of his mouth like white worms. I'm guessing he's trying to get over that he's a rabid savage. I'm guessing Boogieman might have been able to get over in the 70's. He's seconded by Rufus Jones.

The 1st fall is started by a pearl harbor by Brazil. He's all over Jack with headbutts and spewing out the white stuff. Bobo catches the 1st fall.

The 2nd fall we see Brazil continue his assault on Jack. This time he works in some punches.These punches sucked. Jack makes a comeback and goes after the leg. The leg work is done well. I'm a real mark for the hamstring stretches. Brisco takes the fall with the Figure 4.

The 3rd fall we see Brisco really take it to Bobo by targeting the leg. Brisco is a master at working a leg. Brazil attacks Jack with headbutts, gouges, and punches. Brazil's punches looked much better here. The violence is picking up. Rufus starts helping Bobo. Eventually they brawl to the outside for the match to be thrown out.

Final thoughts: This match didn't resonate with me like it did for Parv. Jack had a pretty limited opponent and did his best with him. Not to shit all over Bobo, he did has his moments. His offense was really lmited, but they did a good job working around it. Jack was smart to try to cut down the tree that was Bobo Brazil. Still the match was lacking. **1/4

Jack Brisco vs. Bruiser Brody (04/26/81)

This was just a 4 minute brawl. Upside the crowd was into it. I can see originally getting into it live, but being pissed that you only got 4 minutes. Overall the match seems like a real town killer. I kinda wish Jack would have just stretched the shit out of him. The no selling of the Figure 4 on the outside when Brody got back in was a real WTF moment. He's running the ropes for crying out loud. I did like Brody's big scoop and then the slam of Brisco. It was a nice power move. I'll give it 3/4* for the crowd, and the strength spot by Brody.

Jack Brisco vs. Dory Funk Jr. 1/27/74

This is one of their famous draws that has made tape. The other is from Florida. I watched this one the other day, but was kinda drowsy. I rewatched it and realized how mediocre the match is. This is a match up that has been beaten upon wrestling fans as an all time great match up. I've seen this a few times. The 1st fall goes about 40 minutes. This was really boring. They seemed like they just didn't know where they wanted to go. So they would work holds. Sometimes the arm, sometimes the neck, sometimes the leg etc. I understand if you switch strategies because one isn't working. With Dory's lack of selling the holds you get no idea what's working and what isn't. Their are some neat stuff, but overall the 1st fall is lackluster. Jack on the other hand is great at selling the holds. Dory takes the 1st fall. Yet the 1st 40 minutes seems like a basketball team running out the clock until their's 5 seconds on the clock and they pick up the pace and make a move. Just like the finish of the 1st fall.

The 2nd fall is much better.Both guys are much more aggressive. Jack with his punches and Dory with his European uppercuts. The work here is much more on point and has a sense of urgency. Jack takes it with the Figure 4. Dory finally looks like he's in pain. Thank you for giving me some emotion.

The 3rd fall opens with Dory doing a good job selling the leg damage. Some more nice exchanges. It ends with Dory on the verge of winning as the bell rings.

Final Thoughts:

The 1st fall really missed the mark for me. Even with a much better 2nd and 3rd fall the match falls flat for me. Sam Muchnick is in the front row to start, but ends up giving up his seat to a little kid. The mat wrestling was not engaging for the most part. I thought Jack worked hard, but it didn't translate into a good match. Dory had his moments but dragged the match down for me.

** 1/2

Jack Brisco vs. Jumbo Tsuruta (01/30/74)

This is for the NWA title and we have a Sam Muchnick sighting here. We start out with goes guys going for takedowns that both men stuff. Jumbo on top with some arm work. This is executed solidly. Nothing too flashy but it's constant and has a kinetic energy to it. Jack is great at selling it and trying to counter it. So this was a good base for the 1st fall. Jack's bloody lip added to the fight they were in. The 1st 8 or 9 minutes is all Jumbo with the arm work. They're getting the story over that Jumbo has Jack's number. This is further cemented when Jack has to cheat with a hair pull in a overhead wristlock battle to finally get an advantage. Jack starts with the headlock and then starts to work the legs. They do a little back and forth till Jack gets the win with a Billy Robinson Backbreaker. Cool story of the 1st round where Jack makes Jumbo look like a guy who got unlucky in the 1st fall.

The 2nd fall starts with a headlock by Jack followed up with a nasty elbow. If people worked a headlock like this no one would call a headlock boring. Jumbo on his comeback goes after the leg with a counter of an atomic knee crusher. Now Jumbo goes after the leg with nasty work on it. This works because his arm work came up short in the 1st fall so let's try another body part. I'm usually a guy who likes you to stay on a particular body part. Though in a 2 out of 3 fall changing it up really works cause each fall can be worked with different strategies to capture a fall. Here it's Jumbo on the leg. My complaint is some of Jumbo's stomps lacked ooomph. Jack's selling here also takes the work up a notch and really makes it compelling. A nice touch was when Jack got vertical and was retreating he closed his body up so his left side was protected. The finish with awesome with a Jumbo Butterfly followed up by an Overhead Belly to Belly Suplex for the 3 count. What a great fall that really ratches up the drama. It looks like Jumbo is on fire at this point.

The 3rd fall we now see Jumbo going after the back. Again at times Jumbo's stomps looked soft. Still the idea is there. The finish is Jumbo going for an Oklahoma roll, that is countered by Jack for the 3. Who better to counter an Oklahoma roll than someone from Oklahoma.

Final thoughts. This was good stuff. Jumbo was great at focusing at working body parts, that accentuated by Jack's selling.Some of the work was so subtle you really need to pay attention. Jack did a great job of making Jumbo a threat. The work at times came across as sterile because with the exception of the finish of the 2nd fall that match lacked pop. What it did have was good story telling, really smart work, and some great selling. Jumbo's stomps at times were bad, and wish we saw Jack on top for a bit more. Still this had too much great stuff. ****

Jack Brisco vs Giant Baba (12/2/1974)

This is another good title match. We open up with Baba going after the arm. Jack counters it with an ankle pick. This sets up Jack working the leg with a variety leg locks I loved Baba sneaking in a headlock counter to all the leg work. Baba fights back. He uses a standing surfboard for a bit. This might have lasted a bit too long though. Brisco isn't giving up he throws a nasty punch right at Baba's ear. Baba positions Brisco for a Russian Leg Sweep for 3. The break between falls is telling as Brisco is selling between falls.

The 2nd fall Baba starts out attacking Jack's neck. Jack is trying to get some seperation to no avail. Baba gives a big Atomic drop here. Not to be out done Jack delivers a huge Belly to Back Suplex. In a call back to the work on the leg in the 1st fall Jack locks in the Figure Four. Baba is selling it big here. Baba's selling really milks the drama here. Brisco with the Figure Four for the 2nd fall. Now in between rounds it's a big contrast between the 1st fall.

The 3rd fall begins with Baba trying to cause seperation from Jack so his leg can get better. Baba closes his body to protect his leg. Baba also uses his reach to keep Brisco at bay. That was a nice touch. Baba can't keep him off for long and Jack is working the leg with inner thigh shots. To make matters worse Baba uses his knee as a weapon and hurts it even more. Baba goes back to the Russian Leg sweep for a great nearfall. Which is also a great call to the 1st fall. Baba finally gets a hanging clothesline on Jack for 3 and a new NWA champ.

Final thoughts:

I thought this was real good. Both guys really impressed me here. The drama in the second and third falls really had some great drama in it. It was also very layered when it came to performances. I thought the mat wrestling in the 1st fall was good and had a real chess feel to it. **** 1/4

Jack Brisco vs. Giant Baba (12/05/74)

1st off Parv by rare I think the collector meant as in a title defense was rare. I loved this match.

The first fall was so great. The mat wrestling was good here. Brisco working a headlock and Baba was fighting it every step of the way. The struggle here was off the charts. Brisco had the headlock while Baba was fighting for the leg. The work here with the headlock was so damn engaging. They mixed this up with some great struggle on a couple of overhead wristlock spots. The stakes are high here so Jack resorts to cheating quicker than in the 1st match. Eventually Baba is working a real compelling wristlock on the ground.This in turn morphs into a cross arm bar. This was all good stuff. We see Jack get some more work on the leg. The leg work was had a real edge to it. In a great call back to the 1st match Baba attempts his running swinging clothesline, but Jack sniffs it out and delivers a dropkick to counter. He follows it up with a back suplex to capture the 1st fall.

The 2nd fall is real hot. We see Baba go after Jack's back. This was great. On top of that Baba really uses his weight to great advantage. This really adds a lot this fall. Seeing Baba work a Boston Crab was tremendous. He looked like he got serious torque. Brisco's desperation back slide was a neat near fall. Baba with the swinging neck breaker to capture the 2nd fall.

The 3rd fall we see it breaking down into a fight. The strikes were ok, but not really their strengths. I thought Baba's looked better. Baba after the back with high impact moves. Brisco goes for the same stretch as the finish of the 1st fall. This time Baba is ready and counters the Back Suplex to capture the 3rd fall.

Final thoughts:

This match was so amazing. It's even better than the 1st. It's a few minutes shorter and they seemed to cut some of the fat out of it. The mat wrestling was better in the 2nd match. The match had a more aggressive edge to it. They built off aspects of the previous match. They built off aspects of previous falls. The story telling here was top notch. Both guys put on great performances. Brisco's fire and selling were really on display here. I can't put over enough the struggle in this match. A true classic, and a phenomenal match. **** 3/4.

Jack Brisco vs. Bobo Brazil (03/13/75)

This will be a test for Jack. Bobo has a rep for drawing money but being a terrible wrestler. Brazil has this white stuff coming out of his mouth like white worms. I'm guessing he's trying to get over that he's a rabid savage. I'm guessing Boogieman might have been able to get over in the 70's. He's seconded by Rufus Jones.

The 1st fall is started by a pearl harbor by Brazil. He's all over Jack with headbutts and spewing out the white stuff. Bobo catches the 1st fall.

The 2nd fall we see Brazil continue his assault on Jack. This time he works in some punches.These punches sucked. Jack makes a comeback and goes after the leg. The leg work is done well. I'm a real mark for the hamstring stretches. Brisco takes the fall with the Figure 4.

The 3rd fall we see Brisco really take it to Bobo by targeting the leg. Brisco is a master at working a leg. Brazil attacks Jack with headbutts, gouges, and punches. Brazil's punches looked much better here. The violence is picking up. Rufus starts helping Bobo. Eventually they brawl to the outside for the match to be thrown out.

Final thoughts: This match didn't resonate with me like it did for Parv. Jack had a pretty limited opponent and did his best with him. Not to shit all over Bobo, he did has his moments. His offense was really lmited, but they did a good job working around it. Jack was smart to try to cut down the tree that was Bobo Brazil. Still the match was lacking. **1/4

Jack Brisco vs. Buddy Colt (April/May 1973)

No idea on date for this but it's from Florida and seems to be before the next match which is June 1973. So this is Jack before he won the NWA title as Florida TV champ. Solie is on commentary. Colt injures Brisco's arm on the ring post. I want to mention here the highly unusual way that Brisco performs a knee drop, he often looks like he might be going for a cross-body, does a knee with his entire body almost. It's certainly unorthodox. Brisco gets a payback spot on Colt by nailing his arm on the post. But Colt regains advantage and smashes the arm on the ring post for a second and third time. And now a fourth. Ref has seen enough and DQs Colt. What utter BS! I have to question Eddie Graham's booking there, makes the babyface look weak that finish.

Jack Brisco vs. Buddy Colt (June 1973)

Here's the rematch. Joined in progress. Brisco gets in a backslide. Colt comes back and Brisco writhes around in pain. Ref warns Colt about his "rough tactics". Colt goes right to the arm again and smashes it on the apron. Back on the ring post. Colt is certainly single-minded but I wonder if he has a "paucity of imagination". Ha ha.

Wristlock into an armbar. Kick to the arm. Colt hasn't done a single move so far that didn't target the arm, you have to admire the focus. Hammerlock. Misses a forearm which allows Brisco to comeback but he throws a left with the injured arm -- aborted hope spot. Swinging neckbreaker by Colt. Two count. Tries to go for a headlock takeover but Brisco blocks which causes Colt to kick up knocking the ref over -- yes, it's Florida, ref bump! This allows Colt to get on the top rope, Brisco grabs him but this actually causes Colt to fall on top of him for three.

Ehhh, I really don't like these finishes from Graham. They are crappy to the max. Colt seems like your typical local 70s heel to me and little more than that.

Jack Brisco vs. Paul Jones (09/01/82)

So this is Mid-Atlantic for the Mid-Atlantic title. Caudle on commentary with David Crockett. Brisco is older. Jones is being managed by Oliver Humperdink -- fittingly for someone who would go on to be such a crappy manager himself! Jones is a heel at this point. Story going into this match is that Jones attacked Brisco in the parking lot, injuring his leg and putting him on crutches. Caudle mentions that Brisco is hurt from said attack coming into the match and the doctors told him to take four weeks off but he wanted to defend his title.

Fittingly, Brisco immedately goes after Jones's leg and does so with some intensity. Commentators are hyped to have a match like this on TV. Knee drops to the leg while still in the Indian deathlock by Brisco. Jones is looking quite old here. Irish whip and Brisco does a leg takedown. Back to the Indian deathlock and the knee drops. The older Brisco looks quite wirey. Jones gets Brisco in a headlock but Brisco bridges out and goes back to the leg. Brisco kicks the leg some more and does an elbow drop on it. This is a real 70s-style match here in 1982, not a problem though.

Jones positions himself to drop a boot over Brisco's nose. That looked nasty! Jones is limping with all the leg damage but starts coming back now, but Brisco cuts him off with a shinbreaker which Jones sells by yelling out at the top of his voice. Reminds me a bit of Iron Mike Sharpe! Brisco goes outside and nails the leg repeatedly across the ring post -- nice to see he learned something from Buddy Colt all those years ago! Jones backs up into the corner. But Brisco stays focused on the leg he's attacked from the very start. Commentators reiterate how all this focus on the leg is payback for Jones's parking lot attack. Simple, effective storytelling.

Jones backs up, Brisco is ready to fight. Quite a funny little detail now, which is that Jones seems like he's getting into a karate stance. Of course, karate moves were banned by the NWA at this time and David Crockett watches Jones like a hawk for any signs of "karate". Absolutely hilarious! Jones with a kick to the gut and an elbow. He continues to sell the leg. Big right form Jones gets a "Go Jack Go" chant. Jones attacks Brisco's injured leg now and goes to the Indian Deathlock. Brisco blocks it with a big left. Jones misses a kneedrop. Goes to slam him but Brisco's injured leg gives out and Jones almost gets three, but no! Big elbow onto the knee joint by Brisco now and back to the deathlock. Both men in this match have severely injured legs at this point. Another knee drop on the leg by Brisco and a butt splash on the leg. Works a different hold now.

Greg Valentine -- one of the newest members of "the House of Humperdink" -- has just walked to ringside. He stands with his manager. Brisco still on this leg now. He uses his body weight well here, shades of Dory. Humperdink goes over to the commentators and says that he's seen Brisco use every cheap trick in the book. Not good on the mic. Jones tries to go for a figure-four but Brisco blocks. Slugfest now and Humperdink wants a DQ for the use of the fists by Brisco. Snapmare. Figure-four!! David Crockett is excited. Humperdink jumps up on the apron, Brisco goes after him but slips on the chord and this triggers his leg injury again. He crawls back into the ring and Jones is manic in trying to attack this leg again. Wraps it around the bottom rope, with more Mike Sharpe style shouting. Knee drops and stomps on the leg. Brisco with a few lefts to come back. Irish whip and Brisco runs into a ... oh no!! KATATE BLOW TO THE THROAT! Jones wins the Mid-Atlantic title with the illegal use of karate.

This match went a good 15 minutes or and was very good. If you want a match that tells a very coherent story around a body part, then this one wouldn't be a bad idea. Great selling, and I felt that both guys worked around Jones's limitations really well. Almost the entire match was worked on the mat and around leg injuries, but it was very effectively done. Leading match so far that I've seen in the Brisco post-prime.The "illegal karate finish" is also a fun little historical curiosity.

***3/4

Jack Brisco vs. Ric Flair (08/18/82)

Flair is in the studio running his mouth against Wahoo and, I believe, a very young Mike Rotunda. He's prepared to take on ANYONE Wahoo can put against him in the ring ... and then he turns round to see Jack Brisco standing in the middle of it. Flair protests and tries to back out of it. Flair is irate. Caudle points out to him that he was just complaining about a lack of competition. "You want some of me, eh? Brisco? YOU WANT SOME OF ME!" Flair is awesome.

This should be interesting, two guys who made their name primarily selling -- I predict Jack will be the more offensive of the two trying to keep things to the mat while Flair tries to keep it moving, but let's see. Elbow and collar tie up to start. Abdominal stretch by Brisco. Down into a pin attempt. Arm drag by Brisco into an armbar. Another arm drag and a beauty. Arm bar again. Flair comes back with a shoulder charge and a chop but Brisco reverses an Irish whip to send Ric into the corner. Another sweet arm drag and a knee drop onto the arm. Paul Jones has been on commentary trash talking Brisco. Wristlock and Flair sells this with gusto. Comes back with some Flair chops. Hip toss by Brisco. Roly-poly short-arm scissor lock spot. Brisco ends on top with Flair's arm trapped on the mat. Flair gets himself into a pinning position but uses the bottom rope for leverage. Ref spots it. Break. Series of lefts by Brisco now sends Ric for a Flair flop. Crossbody by Brisco gets two. Brisco goes to the outside and Flair smashes Jack's head on the turnbuckle. Kneedrop by Flair. Piledriver! Shaky-leg sell from Brisco on that. Gets two. Big chop by Flair. Elbow smash. Suplex? No. Brisco slips behind for a sleeper. Flair counters with a big belly to back suplex. Shinbreaker! Figure-four!! But Brisco -- the master of the hold -- IMMEDIATELY reverses it. Wow, that was cool to see. Flair didn't even have it on for a second before he reversed it.

Brisco switches focus to working Flair's leg now. Flair with an eye poke to break the momentum. Bodyslam by Flair. He goes to the top rope but Brisco catches and slams him off. Figure-four by Brisco! No, Flair immediately evades. Neat. Small package gets two for Flair. Headlock take over. Flair bridges over into a pinning predicament, Brisco bridges up and powers out. Cool spot. Into a backslide now and Brisco gets 1, 2, 3!! Wow. Brisco pins Flair.

Flair is pissed and starts the heel beatdown on Brisco post-match. Wahoo hits the ring and Flair bails. Flair: "Brisco!!! You'readeadman!! No one does this to me and gets away with it!"

This is a very nice match up and an interesting contrast of styles between two different generations of NWA champions. I really loved the stuff around the figure-four with neither guy willing to let the other guy execute it successfully. I thought this put Brisco over huge, esecially considering it was 1982 and Brisco hadn't historically been a Carolinas guy. Brisco showed he could still go here and sold all of Flair's high artillery offense well. However, it's also much more clear here than it is against Jones that he has lost half a step since his prime. In the Jones match, since he's clearly the one carrying things, it's less noticeable, but here there's a couple of times when you wonder if Jack isn't a bit blown up. Even so, if this had been allowed to go another 5-6 minutes, it might have been a really good match. As it is, it's a solid 12-minute studio match with a nice angle around it. A Brisco vs. Flair 45-minute broadway, even from 1982, would be a dream match in my book.

***1/2

Jack Brisco vs. Jim Nelson[ (05/18/83)

Still from this Mid-Atlnatic run. Before this we get to the match they show a clip. Jerry Brisco has Jay Youngblood in the figure four and Jack runs over and does a big splash onto the legs of both guys. Caudle is with the Brisco brothers now and Jack wants to explain his actions. According to Jack he was just trying to save his brother who was at risk of getting seriously injured. Jim Nelson comes over now and says that he can't believe those two guys. He's digusted that Jack Brisco deliberately tried to injure Youngblood and put him out of wrestling, especially after they'd claimed to him that it was a mistake. Nelson, incidentally, is COMPLETELY unrecognisable here from Boris Zukhov, to the point where I'm struggling to see how it is the same guy.

Nelson: "... and a former world champion too, you're a coward Jack Brisco!"

Brisco: "What?! You don't call me no coward!"

They start fighting and here's our match. Jack's still got his jeans on, but you don't fire up a real genuine Native American like that and think you're going to get away with it. Brisco is full of piss and vinegar here and pounds away at Nelson. Snapmare. Kneedrop in his cowboy boots. Nelson comes back with punches. Misses a kneedrop. Figure-four!! Jerry Brisco in a full suit -- and somewhat foreshadowing what he'd spend the 90s doing -- comes off the top rope now. Nelson nurses his injured leg as the Brisco brothers embrace. Figure-four once again by Jack. Jimmy Valiant, Johnny Weaver, and other faces come out as the Briscos bail.

Johnny Weaver isn't happy. He comes over and says he can't believe the Briscos would stoop so low to beat up a kid like that. Jack Brisco says "believe me when I say that Jim Nelson is finished! You ain't gonna see him around here no more"

Jimmy Valiant wearing all red comes over and the Briscos give him a double scoop slam on the floor. He sells it like an electrified eel. Jack and Jerry walk off as Valiant spazzes out.

This was a lot of fun and the brawl, while it lasted, was heated as hell. It's fun to see Brisco heeling it up so massively here, and Jerry honestly does come off as a little stooge standing next to his big brother. Cool dynamic for a heel team and exactly what he should have been doing at this point in his career.

Jack Brisco vs. Rick Connors (12/08/82)

This is during the Jones feud because Caudle is talking about it. Brisco with his usual leg-based ground game here, including several hamstring snaps before Connors submits to the figure-four. As Pete would say, "just a squash, just a squash, just a squash".

Jack Brisco vs. Ric Flair (09/08/81)

This is from Florida. Flair has very long hair here. Solie on commentary. This should be interesting if we get it in full, Brisco a year younger and on his home turf. Weirdly, Solie talks a lot about how Flair has very wealthy parents and that even despite that, he's made his own way in life as a top athlete. I didn't realise that Flair having wealthy parents was a part of his gimmick. He also mentions how the one thing that has evaded Flair so far in his career was holding the world title. This caused me to double check the date and sure enough this was DAYS before his first time reign. Quite interesting, then, that this appears to be a match with Flair as a travelling heel attraction WITHOUT the title. You don't tend to think of Flair doing that, but here he is in Florida in 81 before winning the belt. Dusty is on commentary too and he is the champ at this point. Okay, I think this makes more sense why Flair is in Florida now -- clearly he's challenging Dusty for his title soon and so the Florida crowd need a chance to see him. That puts Jack in a kind of Chief Jay Strongbow or Dominic Denucci role for Dusty --- at least that's one way of seeing it.

Big slugging lefts and rights from Jack to start. Crossbody by Flair. Goes for a suplex but Brisco reverses it. Brisco misses an elbow drop. Goes for an atomic drop but Flair seems like he blocks it and Flair gets the figure-four on! Solie mentions that this was the hold that won Brisco the world title, nice. This seems like a big arena and crowd for this match. Brisco reverses it. Flair gets to the ropes for a break. Hot opening to this one.

Flair goes in for the figure-four again but Brisco kicks him off. Hip toss by Brisco. Snapmare. And Brisco goes for the figure-four but Flair kicks him off. Solie says that Flair's definitely been doing his homework. Flair goes for it now, but Brisco kicks him off. Shinbreaker by Flair! And now he does get the figure-four! But Brisco reverses it into an inside cradle for the 1, 2, 3! Huh, Brisco gets the pin?! Post match they brawl some more.

Well this didn't go very long, and unless there was covert clipping I didn't spot, just seemed to be worked like one long-ish finishing stretch. Disappointing, I preferred the studio match from 82. I also just can't understand that booking, having Ric pinned a week before he's about to win the world title. All logic says he goes over Jack here en route to Dusty. Bizarre. Eddie Graham fast becoming one of my least favourite bookers.

Jack Brisco vs. Don Muraco (April / May 1982?)

Here we go Grimmas. Can't find a date for this, but it's got to be early 82 before the Jones feud and before Brisco turned heel, because that's when Piper was around. Muraco gives an interview with Caudle to start with. "I'm Magnificent Muraco! The Prince of Darkness has returned! And if YOU ever call me Don Muraco again, I will not be responsible for what happens" Ha ha, so he demands to be called "Magnificent" instead of "Don".

Brisco comes out. Says everyone knows that Muraco is the reason that "The Chief" (i.e. Wahoo) isn't the US champion any more. "And if you had any guts at all, you'd get in the ring and rassle me right now". Brisco has really come across like a real southern boy in these interviews. I didn't realise his accent was quite so thick.

Muraco: I know you're one of the greatest NWA World champions ever to have the hold around his waist, but you've had your day!

Muraco talks about how he and Roddy Piper are ripping shit up in Mid-Atlantic right now.

Brisco: I know what you are, you're a BEACH BUM is what you are.

And now Jack slaps the sun glasses from off his face. Muraco is riled now. Great heated little segment.

Muraco: I got one Indian down, well now you're going down too ... INDIAN

Ooooohhhh. It's on like voltron.

I'll immediately note that Muraco has put on a shit ton of mass and weight since 1976, Brisco hasn't. Brisco dominates to start. Snapmare. Muraco backs up. Sweet deep arm drag by Brisco. Arm bar. Roddy Piper comes to ringside. Knee lift by Muraco. Shoulder charge. Scoop powerslam by Brisco and an arm drag. Caudle asks Piper if he's come to ringside to assist Muraco. Piper says that it doesn't need both of them to injure Brisco's knee. Caudle says this is the most subdued he's ever seen Piper. Irish whip into the corner and a backdrop by Brisco. Into the arm bar again. Piper looks on concerned and very quiet. Elbow by Muraco, but Brisco gets in an arm wrench. Wristlock takeover by Brisco. Knee drop on the arm. Truly is a "technical" wrestler. Hammerlock. Kneedrop into the hammerlock. Muraco with the elbow but catches another arm drag as a counter to a forearm -- nice. "Way to Jack, way to go" chant. Laaaammme.

Muraco headbutts Brisco's injured knee. That's called a transition. Muraco goes to work on this leg now. Smash into ring post. Knee drop onto it. Hamstring snap. Figure-four! Brisco cries out in pain, but he turns it over. Piper gets on the top rope and hits a clothesline. Throws the ref again and we have ourselves a 2 on 1 heel beatdown. Piper grabs a chair. Manic punches by Piper now as Muraco holds him. Choking! Jimmy Valiant all in yellow today runs out to clear house.

Okay match but something felt a bit lethargic about it to me. Two main problems:

1. This started off as a wild and heated impromteau brawl, so I question Brisco's decision to work this as technically as he ended up doing. There was a ton of fire at the start but then it settled down into a "normal match". Don't see why it should have.

2. Muraco was pretty plodding in this match. There's a thin line between "deliberate and methodical" on the one hand, and "just plain slow" on the other, and Muraco crossed it.

Not one of the better Jack outings you'll ever see.

**1/2

Jack Brisco vs. Roddy Piper 07/07/82)

This is for the Mid-Atlantic title. Brisco, with the help of Wahoo McDaniel, has put up $10k for this match. Piper wouldn't put up the belt without the money on the line. Some other backstory here is that Piper injured Jerry Brisco's leg and put him out of commission and then tried to do the same to Jack. So not only has be been ducking putting the title on the line, he's fucked with Brisco's brother as well.

Elbow and collar tieup. Piper comes off second best and bails. Some amatuer-style counter wrestling now as Piper tries to get behind Brisco but he out-wrestles him to finish up behind -- that's a former NCAA champion Piper, think again sonny. As I say that Piper slips behind. And grabs a hand full of hair. Brisco shunts him down and sends Piper flying out of the ring. Back in and Brisco is ready to fight. Headlock by Brisco. He wrenches on this now. Classic-looking headlock. Some rope running now and a massive clothesline from Brisco after a leap frog by Piper -- almost took his head off. David Crockett almost wets himself. Back to the headlock by Brisco. He's really wrenching this, looks like it is very tightly applied. Piper tries to escape but Jack nips up onto the turnbuckle and then uses the momentum to swing him back round into a headlock takeover. Awesome move and it gets a two count. Still in the headlock. Couple of nearfalls. Jack keeps this headlock synced in. Piper's arm has gone limp as David Crockett talks about oxygen. Brisco lunges forward in the headlock, up to a vertical base. But finally Piper comes back and rams Brisco's head into the turnbuckle. And again. Brisco doesn't let go. Piper tries to escape and Brisco almost bull dogs him because he's not letting go of this headlock! Brisco wrenches his forearm into Piper's temple, but now Piper escapes with a big back suplex out of the corner to get ot of the headlock. Piper sits up, dazed. Big kick into Brisco's side. Massive chops by Piper.

Piper is still clearing the cobwebs but he's pissed off now. Goes to a front facelock which seems like a concealed choke. Continues to do this and almost gets a three out of it. Big turnbuckle shot again and Brisco goes flying. Brisco with some big shots on his knees and so Piper dumps him. Outside and this is turning into a brawl. Piper rolled by in. Big strikes now but Piper slips behind for the sleeper! Brisco is fading fast. Arm goes down once, twice ... no! "Go Jack Go" chant. He tries to break out of it but Piper comes down with all his body weight. Back down on the mat and Brisco is fading fast again. Brisco starts writhing and struggling. He powers out with a back suplex. Both men down. Piper tries to crawl over, Irish whip but Jack gets the sleeper now and jumps on his back to add more weight. Piper stumbles and fights. Down to his knees. "Look at 'im, look at 'im" cries David Crockett. Thumb to the eye breaks it. Brisco gives Piper a couple of turnbuckle shots now and this is becoming a slugfest. Big shots left and right. Piper falls to the outside and Brisco slams his head on the apron. Piper tries to get back in. He's got something in his hands. A roll of coins? Oh no, not like this! He covers, 1, 2, and that's it. There's money all over that ring, the camera zooms in on it.

Piper is beside himself. "It's MINE! Make no mistake. I'm the champion! The money!"

He claims that people threw the money into the ring. David Crockett wants to see a replay. We watch the closing moments of the match again. Caudle points out the moment when Piper gets the coins. He has something in his hand. What a travesty of justice.

This was a pretty great match. About twenty minutes. Brisco was very gritty here with real determination on that headlock and this was a cool clash of styles and tempraments. Brisco, the veteran and the technician who can still lose his temper because of his "firey blood", against Piper, the young upstart, big mouth, scrappy brawler. They had some good chemistry. And this is one of the best Brisco matches on US soil that I've seen so far.

Jack Brisco vs. Bruiser Brody (04/26/81)

This was just a 4 minute brawl. Upside the crowd was into it. I can see getting into it live, but being pissed that you only got 4 minutes. Overall the match seems like a real town killer. I kinda wish Jack would have just stretched the shit out of him. The no selling of the Figure 4 on the outside when Brody got back in was a real WTF moment. He's running the ropes for crying out loud. I did like Brody's big scoop and then the slam of Brisco. It was a nice power move. I'll give it 3/4* for the crowd, and the strength spot by Brody.

Jack Brisco vs. Dory Funk Jr. 1/27/74

This is one of their famous draws that has made tape. The other is from Florida. I watched this one the other day, but was kinda drowsy. I rewatched it and realized how mediocre the match is. This is a match up that has been beaten upon wrestling fans as an all time great match up. I've seen this a few times. The 1st fall goes about 40 minutes. This was really boring. They seemed like they just didn't know where they wanted to go. So they would work holds. Sometimes the arm, sometimes the neck, sometimes the leg etc. I understand if you switch strategies because one isn't working. With Dory's lack of selling the holds you get no idea what's working and what isn't. Their's some neat stuff, but overall the 1st fall is lackluster. Jack on the other hand is great at selling the holds. Dory takes the 1st fall. Yet the 1st 40 minutes seems like a basketball team running out the clock until their's 5 seconds on the clock and they pick up the pace and make a move. Just like the finish of the 1st fall.

The 2nd fall is much better.Both guys are much more aggressive. Jack with his punches and Dory with his European uppercuts. The work here is much more on point and has a sense of urgency. Jack takes it with the Figure 4. Dory finally looks like he's in pain. Thank you for giving me some emotion.

The 3rd fall opens with Dory doing a good job selling the leg damage. Some more nice exchanges. It ends with Dory on the verge of winning as the bell rings.

Final Thoughts:

The 1st fall really missed the mark for me. Even with a much better 2nd and 3rd fall the match falls flat for me. Sam Muchnick is in the front row to start, but ends up giving up his seat to a little kid. The mat wrestling was not engaging for the most part. I thought Jack worked hard, but it didn't translate into a good match. Dory had his moments but dragged the match down for me. ** 1/2