Pro Wrestling Only

Jack Brisco

JerryvonKramer

Jack Brisco vs. Dory Funk Jr. (2/8/72)

Dory is the champ here. This is from Florida and we get around 35 minutes of a 60 minute match. This was shown on Florida t.v. So with a t.v being 60 minutes, commercials, and wrap arounds we get 35 minutes. The presentation of this was tremendous. We get Brisco, Solie, and Coach Heath discussing the match as it happens. They offer a lot of insights like strategy,psychology of the headlock, Jack even explains why he did certain things. This is a no DQ match. That stip is in place so we don't get a cheap finish, and gives a reason why the match was taped.

Their are no falls taken in this match Both guys were on their game. We start out with Dory going for the spinning toe hold. Jack gets the headlock. Dory in the process of trying to counter it starts grinding his knee into Jack's face. That was real nasty and a really nice touch. Dory goes for an Atomic Knee Crusher for seperation. Jack holds onto the headlock and in a real nice touch while still in control sells his leg. We get a repeat and Jack sells the leg even more. Now Dory wants out of the headlock so while still in the headlock he begins punching the damaged leg. To stop Dory from hitting his leg Jack really cranks the hell out the headlock. This was really smart work with a touch of nastiness mixed in. Dory finally gets on top and scrapes his boot across Jack's face. A back suplex by Dory. Dory is now working Jack's arm. Holy shit Dory is delivering European Uppercuts to Jack's shoulder that he's been working on. That is such a great idea. Jack throws some forearm smashes that results in Dory doing a hair pull to stop the momentum.

We get a nasty forearm exchange. Brisco with an arm wringer with help of the ropes. We get some more big forearm exchanges. Dory gets Jack in the corner and works him over with his famous uppercuts. Dory goes for the Butterfly Suplex that Jack counters into a backslide for a great nearfall. Jack is back to the headlock. We see a knuckle lock exchange. Dory with a back trip and Dory puts his weight on Jack. He then does a knee drop to Jack's bad arm. Jack counters with a body scissors. Dory counters it with a Boston Crab. Jack's counter to that was a roll up. Dory eats a knee in the corner. Jack works a Chicken Wing. Jack ducks a forearm, Butterfly Suplex by Jack. He follows up with elbow drops to Dory's bad shoulder. A Dbl stomp by Jack . Jack gives Dory forearms into the stomach. Back breaker by Jack. Jack now is going after the back with smashes, hip toss, and stomps. Another back breaker. Dory counters the Figure 4. Dory with a big knee drop from the top. A Backbreaker by Dory. He follows it up with an elbow drop, Atomic Drop, and a submission hold to the back. Jack is fighting the submission hold. Jack with a German Suplex. Both guys are speant and we get a draw.

Final thought:

I really enjoyed this match. Going 60 you knew it would be more methodical and it was. The matwork was more deliberate and detailed like Dory rubbing his knee into Jack's temple than battling for control. I can see people say the structure wasn't consistent. I'm a structure guy, but it's not the be all end all to matches. I liked how each guy would change up strategy when it presented itself. I thought Jack's fire along with his selling was awesome in this match. Dory sold well here too. He also added little details in the match. The nearfalls were spread out and timed well to get the most out of them. I loved Jack, Solie, and Heath on commentary they added a lot here. ****

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jones struck me as being past-his-prime but being pushed to have a good match by Jack. It feels unfair to comment on Jones as a wrestler too much because he was a draw in 1973-4 and we don't have much beyond garbage tapes to go on.

Certainly he seems at least average as a wrestler, which is better than he was as a manager (i.e. awful).

Jones struck me as being past-his-prime but being pushed to have a good match by Jack. It feels unfair to comment on Jones as a wrestler too much because he was a draw in 1973-4 and we don't have much beyond garbage tapes to go on.

Certainly he seems at least average as a wrestler, which is better than he was as a manager (i.e. awful).

Nonsense .

Jack Brisco vs. Buddy Colt

We get a couple of highlights from 2 matches for the Florida t.v title. We don't get much just some finishes. I'm not ready to condemn to Eddie Graham as a finish man based on some highlights.

Jack Brisco vs. Paul Jones (09/01/82)

Parv goes into detail on the backstory of the Brisco injury a few posts up. In short Jones messed up Brisco's leg in the parking lot and should be on the shelf for a month.

This is a studio match and it's a great one. We get 12 minutes or so and both guys looked good. Brisco goes after Jones leg like a surgeon. He is all over it. I'm a mark for working a body part so this is heaven for me. Got to give Jones credit he sells the leg perfectly. Jones tries to counter out of it with a headlock, but Jack turns the tide and is back on the leg. Jones eventually counters with a guillotine leg smash. Jack destroys the leg some more.The leg work serves 2 purposes. One is payback, 2 it takes Jones Indian Deathlock out of play. The ref warns Jones about karate use. This might be a residual thing from his Steamboat feud. Jones gets some offense in and Brisco takes an awkward bump to the outside. Both guys have leg injuries now. Brisco is in control and looks to be finishing off Jones. Brisco irish whip Jones into the corner, Jack follows up and gets hit with a Karate thrust for 3.

Final Thoughts: This was tremendous. It's all smartly worked. Both guys sold well. I think Jones did this even better than Jack in this match. Jack had a real edge to him. They did a great job foreshadowing the karate finish. Jack really brought the action that drove the match. Jones was great at reacting too it. ****

Jack Brisco vs. Ric Flair (08/18/82)

The presentation of this with the promos and angle were tremendous. I really liked Jack's shine where he'd work over Flair's arm. Jack would use arm drags to get back to the arm. I love the rolling Key lock on the mat. In a nice touch Jack Irish Whips Flair into the corner and Flair bumps his shoulder to further work the shoulder. Flair is great in this by selling his ass off for Jack. Jack goes for the cover and Flair does a kick out and Jack bumps to the floor. Flair gets a run on top including a very mediocre piledriver that anyone would buy as a transition move because of how weak it was. Jiack back on top. He does a hamstring pull. He goes for the Figure 4 and Flair escapes immediately. Flair tries a Figure 4 and Brisco escapes. This is a nice touch since both are masters of the Figure 4. They should also no the escapes. We got to the typical Flair finish, and just like in the Kerry Von Erich title win Jack wins with a backslide.

Final Thoughts:

I thought the match was pretty good. The early shine by Jack was well done. Flair was great at allowing Jack to shine, and made him look like a threat to the title. I wish the commentary would have pushed Brisco harder as a former World Champion. The presentation was great, but that was the missing piece. The match was a great studio bout. *** 1/2

Jack Brisco vs. Roddy Piper 07/07/82)

This was a good match. I liked the amateur stuff on the mat and the payoff with Piper's hair pull was pretty awesome. Brisco's headlock work was pretty great. Piper was good with his heeling. I liked the finish as well. As a match it was good though it left me a little cold. ***

• 3 months later...

Jack & Jerry Brisco vs Paul Jones/Dory Funk, Sr. (has to be early 70s)

I am not sure where this is from or who the commentator is. Sounds like the man who Gordon Solie might have replaced. It's definitely from Florida, but it's strange that Dory Funk Sr is here to tag with Jones. Maybe he was up from Amarillo for an NWA convention?

Beautiful fireman carry takeover by Brisco, and this exchange between Jones and Jack is cutting a ferocious pace. Bodyslam by Jones. Bodyslam by Jack. Really heated stuff. Forearm smash by Brisco. Kneedrop by Brisco. Jerry in. Jones wants Jack back in. Jerry obliges.

Jerry back in but Jones is fixated on Jack. Brisco back in. Jones has looked pretty good here. Works Brisco over with stomps. Brisco tries to fire back but Jones levels him. Hot tag to Jerry. Irish whip. Snapmare. Brisco goes over and drops Jones to the outside. Dory Sr and Jerry lock up. Dory Sr is pretty old! His movements are slow.

Jerry scores a pin on Dory Sr with an "abdominal stretch gullotine". Interesting historical curiosity this. Work between Brisco and Paul Jones in the early going was good.

**1/2

Jack & Jerry Brisco vs Terry & Dory Funk, Jr. (late 70s?)

This is after Dory had lost the title. Florida again. Solie on commentary. Very heated. This is just the finish. Brisco and Dory pound away back and forth. Jerry goes for a dropkick from an Irish whip but Dory clings onto the rope. Spinning toe hold! Jerry comes back with a figure-four.

Terry and Brisco go at it. But Dory taps to the figure-four

Would be interesting to see the whole match.

Jack & Jerry Brisco vs Butch Bronson/Len Denton (aka The Grappler) (1979)

I think this is from Georgia. Studio match. Solie on commentary. Brisco starts out with Denton. Jerry in. Bronson in. Solie's commentary is fantastic. Arm drag by Jerry. Knee drop. Jerry is a very good worker in his own right.

Double underhook suplex. Brisco in and he goes straight to work on the leg. Figure-four. Forget about it.

Just a squash.

Jack & Jerry Brisco vs Mike Graham and Steve Keirn (12/06/77)

Solie on commentary. Graham and Birsco start out. Jerry in. Jack in. Fast-paced stuff. Keirn in. Eventually he catches Brisco in a sleeper hold. This is clipped to shreds but Solie calls it as if it isn't.

Big atomic drop by Graham on Brisco. Big suplex by Graham on Jerry. Fifteen minute time limiit goes. Solie is forced to admit it's just highlights.

Looked good this. Mike Graham with the high spots!

Jack & Jerry Brisco vs Stan Hansen & Ole Anderson (2/28/82)

From All Japan. Looking at Brisco's bald patch, my guess is early 80s, maybe 83. Actually, I think this is from GCW with Japanese commentary (for whatever reason) and was the final match in a tournament for the NWA World Tag titles. Ole and Hansen is such a bruising team! Hansen kicks the crap out of Jerry to start, who struggles. Ole in with a waist lock. Jack in. Bearhug by Ole. Jack tries to fight out with forearms. Hansen in. Back to the bearhug.

Hansen starts busting out bigger offense now. Back breaker. Into a chinlock now. Up to a vertical base. Brisco gets the tag to Jerry. Ref didn't see it. Classic southern tag stuff this. Ole in with knee drops. Ref didn't see that tag either. Hansen comes back in with kneedrops. Sunset flip by Brisco. Just a hope spot. He crawls through Hansen's leg to get the tag to Jerry. Ole stops his momentum. Hansen with a knee drop. Arm wrench. Ole in to work on this arm some more. Jerry counters by kicking at Ole's leg. Great bit of counter wrestling there.

Ole lays his body down on this arm now and tags Hansen in who drops a knee across the injured arm. Wristlock. Ole back in to work the arm.

Jerry eventually gets the tag and Brisco comes in to target Ole's leg. Ole tags out and it's a slugfest between Hansen and Brisco. Brisco gets in his signature offense on Hansen's leg setting up for the figure-four. Ole back in. Snapmare by Brisco. Knee drop. Laying in shows on Ole now. Back drop. Tags Jerry back in. Suplex by Jerry. But Hansen comes in. All four men in now. Ref gets in Brisco's face allowing the heels to double team for the 1, 2, 3.

A decent match somewhat lacking in heat I'd say. Very sound fundamental psychology.

***1/2

Jack & Jerry Brisco vs Terry & Dory Funk, Jr. (1977?)

I think this is from the same tournament as the Graham/Kerin match. The Briscos manage to isolate Dory early and give him several Irish whips into the turnbuckles. But the chessmaster is wily enough to bail.

Criss-cross between Jerry and Dory now. Forearm to the jaw by Dory. Terry goes for a cheapshot outside but Brisco cuts him off. Dory waits in the ring. Solie calls Dory "Mr Cool ... The ring generals of all ring generals".

Back in the ring and Dory comes in with uppercuts on Jerry who comes back with forearms. Brisco in with an abdominal stretch. Terry wants to break it up but the ref stops him. Solie calls this move the "standing gullotine". Terry is beside himself during this. Brisco moves into a headlock and tags out. Dory goes for a suplex. Blocked. And again. Jerry gets the suplex. Terry tags in. Elbows to the back of the head.

He dumps Jerry to the outside. Solie calls Terry "the more explosive" of the Funks, "a high intensity competitor". Terry with the Texas jabs. Jerry tries to fight back. Single-leg pick up by Terry. Spinning toe hold! Jerry counters with the figure-four. Dory tries to break it but Brisco cuts him off.

Dory in with a snapmare and an elbow drop. Misses with the right. Jerry comes back with strikes. All four men in, pier six brawl. Dory manages to get in a cheap pin on Jerry with Terry holding down Jerry's leg.

Very cool to see this match. These guys had excellent chemistry. Didn't go very long, but I enjoyed what we got.

Jack & Jerry Brisco / Terry Allen (aka Magnum T.A.) vs "Wild" Bill Snyder/Rick & John Davidson (10/14/82)

This is from Florida sometimes in 1982. Allen starts off as the FIP getting worked over by all three heels. I am not familiar with the Davidson brothers. One of the Davidsons comes in with a double axehandle. They are doing a good number on Allen here. Backbreaker on Allen.

Brisco tags in and quickly takes over on offense. He takes on both Davidson brothers. Eventually one of them eye rakes him and gets a slam in. Brisco tags out and Allen comes in with big rights. Snyder in. Big bodyslam by Allen. Atomic drop. Cover gets three.

Didn't get to see much of the Briscos here.

Jack & Jerry Brisco Interview & Hi-Lites of Briscos vs Sir Oliver Humperdink & The Japanese Team

Jerry Brisco is in his 70s threads here. This is 1981, Florida. But he's set upon by some Japanese heels (Professor Sinata, Mr Pogo and Hiro Matsuda). Pogo has luminous face paint. Jack comes in for the save. Interview with the Briscos now, and Jack has broken Sir Oliver Humperdink's leg for getting involved with their match.We see the footage of the Briscos breaking his leg. Jack gets him in the figurefour and Jerry splashes it.

Humperdink has to be stretchered away. Jerry says that it's not their style to do something like that, but the hurt and humilation of the attack from last week is what led to this. He said he lost control of himself when he saw Humperdink in that figurefour. Jack says that it's not just that they tried to humilate Jerry, they were trying to put him out of wrestling. We see footage of another attack on Jerry.

Jack uses the phrase "Humperdink and his Jap friends".

Jerry tells them to watch out for trying to take on two "Oklahoma Indians".

Jack & Jerry Brisco vs Mr.Pogo & Hiro Matsuda (5/17/81)

That was the lead-in for this. Brisco with a fireman carry take over on Matsuda. Pogo in. Brisco with a great kneedrop on him. Headlock. Pogo with a full arm drag and twist. Matsuda in. Hammerlock. Solie tells us Humperdink has put a bounty on the Briscos' heads.

Pogo back in. Reverse knife-edge by Pogo. Jerry in. Big lefts. Knee lift. Snapmare. Cover gets two. Jerry with a lot of energy. Front facelock. Matsuda in with a series of chops to the back of the head. The Japanese work over Jerry a bit now. Matsuda with a sleeper. He's not wearing any boots by the way.

Pogo in. Big stiff chop by him. Jerry gets a foot into the gut and tags out. Brisco with a big left. Elbow drops into Pogo's inner thigh. Hiptoss. But Pogo catches him in the throat and he tags out. Matsuda with Jerry now. Ref bump. Jerry gets the figurefour on Matsuda. But Pogo comes off the top rope. Matsuda covers and Jerry takes the pin.

Wow, so they lost the match too!

This was pretty interesting and some good stuff.

Jack & Jerry Brisco vs Terry & Dory Funk, Jr. (North American Tag Titles) (2/6/82)

Footage now of Terry slapping a ring announcer and stomping on him with him on commentary trying to justify it. The Briscos come in now and Dory is there in a red jacket. Back to the studio and Terry is in full swing cutting a promo with Solie. Dory is there too, he's got the NWA International title too. The Briscos are here now too.

Brisco mocks the Funks for "beating up ring announcers". And wants Dory to put up that International title right now. Dory says "where's the contract". Jack says that he doesn't care, they'll put up their North American tag titles right now.

Awesome confrontation between two legendary teams in a legendary ongoing feud here.

Dory isn't happy because he's not dressed to wrestle. Terry says he doesn't care and wants to fight. Briscos hit the ring and they are waiting. Dory is pretty annoyed -- and since he's actually wearing a short-sleeved shirt and a tie here, he's NEVER looked more like a Maths Highschool teacher than he does at this moment. Ha ha ha.

The Briscos are fired up. The Funks in their shirts and jeans attack Jerry. This is just an out of control brawl. Briscos get the better of this. Dory is sent packing over the top. Terry is isolated. Dory back in and takes a bodyslam. Dory is wrestling in a fucking shirt and tie here -- Irwin R. Shyster eat your heart out!!

Dory has a buckle from his belt and as the ref is distracted with Terry, nails Jerry with it to steal a pin. Dory goes to get the belts, but Jack grabs on. This is just chaos. Belts everywhere. Solie has no idea what's happening. And the footage cuts out.

Man, it's agonising we don't have more footage of these guys in the heyday of this feud.

This was very cool to see.

• 2 weeks later...

Jack & Jerry Brisco vs. Road Warriors (Texas Tornado Match) (08/23/83)

This from Georgia. Road Warriors still heel, Briscos still faces. JR is on commentary with Animal, both kayfabing, this was for WWE 24/7 seemingly. Ref is Scrappy McGowan. Warriors hadnt been wrestling for six months here.

Hard to call action here, but I didn't think much of this. The Roadies at this point kinda worked like The Warlord, all chokes and big man "holding" spots. Briscos sold for them, but there wasn't enough motion really. They did this neat Irish whip spot where Jack would whip a guy into Jerry's double boot in the turnbuckle, but they didn't have much to work with here. And then we get a non-finish because the Briscos grab some chairs and chase the Road Warriors off. The Funks had a MUCH better match with the Road Warriors in 86. This was nothing.

Jack & Jerry Brisco vs. David Von Erich/Dory Funk, Jr. (circa 1982)

This is from the random David Von Erich heel run in Florida that I came across during my Dory watching. JIP, Solie on commentary and we have Jack working over David's leg with his usual assortment of sweet knee drops. Dory in and headlock takeover. Solie is excited to see two former NWA champs in the same ring. Think about the FAMILIES involved here too.

Dory and Jerry now. Snapmare. Dory dumps Jerry. David with a bit of heeling on the outside. Back in and a big knee lift by David. Jack in. Big south paw. High back body drop. Gut punch. Inside cradle. Dory in. European uppercuts. Armdrag takeover. Fullarm drag and twist. Bodyslam. Brisco with a slam. SWEET arm drag. Arm bar. Jerry in with a double axe-handle on the arm. Shoulder smash by Jerry. Rolling cradle by Dory. This is some good pro wrestling. Arm drag by Jerry. Jack in. Lefts. Dropkick, but Dory hooks the rope. Spinning toehold! Figure-four by Jack! Solie NEVER neglects to mention that Dory won the title with the spinning toehold, ha ha.

Dory goes for a slam but Jack blocks it and falls on top for a near fall. Doubleunderhook suplex by Jack, but Dory covers and David assists the pin by adding leverage to Dory's leg.

This was a cool match. Action between the Briscos and Dory was top stuff.

***3/4

We get an interview with Jack and Jerry now. They are talking about a tag tournament. Jerry says it is sanctioned all around the world from region to region. There's eventually going to be an East vs. West style tournament. Jerry starts to list teams:

"You've got Adrian Adonis and Jesse Ventura ..."

"You've got you're errr, Pat Patterson ..."

"You've got Tony Garea, up there, and errrr, his partner"

Ha ha ha ha. Jerry is not a natural promo. Solie mentions this tournament means they might be wrestling in Japan or India or anywhere! Jack talks now. Jack wants to win the world titles. That was from Florida.

We switch to Ray Stevens now with Bob Caudle. This looks like an episode of Worldwide. "What do you know about the Briscos?"

Stevens: They are full-blooded Indians out of Oklahoma. Jack Brisco's reputation speaks for itself, he was the world champion! And his brother, a tremendous wrestler who has wrestled all over the world. GREAT, I mean a great tag team. Caudle says we have a tape of them in action now, so let's roll of the tape:

Jack & Jerry Brisco vs. Rick & John Davidson (2/17/82)

Yay, a jobber match! I don't recognise the ring announcer, he's young. And bad. I think it's Bruce Tharpe who then goes to join Solie on commentary. He's no Coach John Heath! This is from Florida by the way, but seeingly shown on Worldwide. The Davidsons are dressed like Hillbillies.

Fireman carry takedown by Jack. Full armdrag and twist. Fireman carry takedown by Jerry. Jack in with an elbow drop on one of the Davidsons. Arm drag. Arm bar. Other Davidson in. Shinbreaker by Jack. Jerry with a kneedrop on the "quadracepanmourus muscle" as he tags in. Hamstring snaps by the Briscos now. Jack catches the other guy on the tag. Abdominal stretch. All four in. Snapmare by Jack. Figurefour, other dude tries to break it but Jack catches him in an inside cradle and pins him while still in the figure four. What a guy!

Fun little squash.

**1/2

Jack & Jerry Brisco vs. Jay & Mark Youngblood (Hi-Lites) (8/19/83)

Promo before this.

Jerry: Ya know, Virgina, VIRGINIA, home of the eternal losers, where you've got two cry babies from North Carolina. That makes the Brisco brothers come all the way across the country right into their backyard. Johnny Weaver got in our way. Boogie Woogie Man got in our way. Jim Nelson got in our way. Poor little Jay Youngblood got in the way. Steamboat you went out and put 25 grand on his head ...

Wow, Jerry is SO much better as a heel it's unreal. Jack says nothing.

These highlights of the match look GREAT from the finish. Jerry must jump about 15 feet across the ring off the top at one point. Tremendous Mid-Atlantic pace set by the faces. Mark Youngblood is more pudgy than Jay, and looks shitty. But we only get a couple of minutes, so no rating.

Jack & Jerry Brisco vs. John Bonello & Vinnie Valentino (Sept 83?)

This is from right around the same time. This is an arena match, so looks like Worldwide. Caudle on commentary and he puts over Jack Brisco's NCAA credentials and his background. Then puts over Jerry's AAU accomplishments.

Fireman carry takedowns to start. Jack with a snapmare. Kneedrop. Bodyslam. Backbreaker! Tag, Jerry in. Butterfly suplex! Cover but Jerry pulls him up on 2. Jack in. Boot to the gut. Vertical suplex! Jerry in. Hamstring snap. Figurefour! Forget about it.

Loved watching the Briscos tear this jobber a new one. Superb heat sequence, even if that's all there was to the match.

**1/2

Jack & Jerry Brisco vs. Gene Ligon & Brett Hart (aka Barry Horowitz) (Oct 83?)

Still Worldwide, but this time David Crockett on commentary too with Caudle. Chinlock by Jerry to start. Jerry is toying with Hartt.

Jack in and he is vicious with his knee lifts and punches. Jerry in, Snapmare, leg drop. Double armbar into a pin. Gets two. Jack in. Back suplex. Knee drop. Figure four, forget about it. There's a brace on Ligon's head. Jerry with an additional knee drop, tries to break his leg. These guys are COOL AS FUCK.

Could watch the Briscos ripping through these jobbers all day.

**1/2

Jack & Jerry Brisco vs. Johnny Weaver & Bob Orton, Jr. (Oct 83?)

I don't have exact dates for these matches. I might look them up later. This is from the Mid-Atlantic TV show from the studio with the flags. David Crockett on commentary with Paul Jones.

Jerry and Orton to start. Amautuer stuff. Weaver in. I think he's wearing a neck brace or something in there. He's also about 106 years old! Armdrag by Weaver. Jack is selling the shit out of that arm. Fairplay to Weaver, as old as he is, he looks like he can still go. Orton in. Forearm smash. Flat back bump by Jack.

Jones mentions on commentary that Jack Brisco was very upset with Ricky Steamboat for calling him "bald eagle". Ha ha, he is thinning on top. The fans have been chanting "bald eagle". Double backdrop by the Briscos and Jerry in with an arm drag roll over thing. Pin attempt gets two. Big lefts by Jack now. Chinlock by Jack. Want to pause he to comment on just how great Brisco is at working this chinlock. He wrenches it in. He shows intensity and aggression. Orton writhes around and flails his arms. This is how to make matwork, a really basic submission hold, engaging.

Back up to a vertical base. Snapmare. Jerry in. Kneelift. Weaver with the hottag!! BULLDOG by Weaver on Jack. Sleeper!! David Crockett is about to orgasm. Jerry makes the save. Flying knee thing by Orton (looked like a dropkick but caught with knees). Orton gets the figurefour on Jack. Legdrop by Jerry! Weaver and Jerry go at it. All four men in. Ref has DQ'd the Briscos. Briscos dump Orton. They grab the aged Weaver in his neck brace. SPIKE PILEDRIVER!! AWESOME! What a pair of total dicks.

Loved this one. Great TV match and Weaver was no slouch in there either.

***3/4

Jack & Jerry Brisco vs. Jimmy Valiant & Bob Orton, Jr. (12/6/83)

Randomly, this is from All Japan. Valiant is throwing chairs everywhere to start and Orton is also having fun. Briscos don't want to get in the ring while this chaos is going on. Jerry starts to brawl with Orton and Valiant sticks a chair into his gut and dumps him. This is not a "wrestling chair" that folds up but one of those firm plastic chairs with meal legs. Looked painful. Valiant and Orton double team Jerry after Valiant dumps Jack. Outside the ring, Valiant grabs another chair and nails Jack with it. Orton has a chair and lays out Jerry in the middle of the ring. Valiant rolls Jack in. Briscos still have their jackets on, this has been a mugging!

Japanese fans are responding to Valiant well. Standing choke by Valiant. Slams Jerry into Orton's knee and lays out Jack on the apron for good measure. Orton now, BIG backbreaker on Jerry. Awesome backbreaker. Knee drop. Big right. Goes for a snapmare but Jerry blocks. Turns it into a choke. Elbow smash by Orton. Jack wants to come in but the ref stops him. Jerry in for the ride into Valiant's fist. Splash by Orton for two. Finally Jerry gets a tag and levels Orton with a big left and a bodyslam. Loudly booed by the crowd. Briscos even heeling it up in Japan. Another big slam. Cover gets two. Irish whip into the corner. Abdominal stretch. Jerry in with a chin lock in the camel clutch position, what I would call "the Rick Rude chinlock". Big lefts now from Jack and he dumps Orton to take some cheap offense by Jerry on the outside as he provokes Valiant. Good classic tag psychology here.

Valiant has "FM 100 Means Music" written across his ass. Orton back in and Jerry with a flip pin thing. Jack in. Jerry in. Wow, this is a cool spot! Shinbreaker by Jerry onto Jack's knee. That is some cool offense. Orton sells this leg really well. Figure-four by Jack. Orton reverses it but Jerry comes from the top to kneedrop his brother out of it! Man, that must have hurt everyone!

Orton's leg seems damaged, Jack sells the shit out of his leg too. Orton tries to get to Valiant but Jerry grabs the leg from the outside and wraps it around the post. Twice. Valiant leans over, but Jack is back now and cuts him off.

Hmmm, hold on, is that Chad Champbell cheering?! Hold on a minute: this crowd is not Japanese!!! Must have been one of those weird deals where AJPW were covering a Crockett card because Jumbo or whoever was there. Tommy Young is the ref I just noticed too.

Crowd wild for this hot tag now. And Valiant slips off the apron! Suplex by Jerry. Orton has been a terrific FIP here. He FINALLY makes the tag and Valiant is a house of fire. Unloads on the Briscos. Double noggin knocker. Sleeperhold on Jerry.Broken. Sleeper on Jack!! Crowd is wild. Jerry comes over to break. Boogie Woogie dance in the face of clubbing blows. Jerry is possessed here. Cover only gets two. Jack in with a bit left. Goes for another buy Valiant blocks. Through the legs. Orton in! Rabbit punches. Jack is on easy street. Dropkick by Orton. Big bodyslam. Splash from the second rope! Cover gets two because Jerry breaks it. Jack goes for a small package Two. Double bodyslam by the Briscos, and that'll do it for three. They hold their fingers up and the crowd boos.

Fantastic match that needs to make the Crockett 80s set. Perfect southern tag structure and psychology, and man there was some WORKRATE on display here, espeically from Bob Orton Jr who carried the lion's share for his team. They worked around Boogie Woogie well to maximise his heat and usefulness and work around his limitations. Perfect chaotic shine for him. Jerry is a nasty little shit too, he's a great heel. And Jack is Jack. Have been VERY impressed with the Brisco Brothers as a heel team, and Bob Orton Jr looked absolutely terrific here. Hidden gem of a match for me, hadn't heard of this one talked up anywhere.

****1/2

Jack & Jerry Brisco vs. Dave Barbie & Gino Carabello (Fall 84?)

This is WWF now and Vince is on commentary with Bruno. Weird change of pace. Seems like all the Youngblood & Steamer stuff is on the final disc.

Bruno hilariously buries Dave Barbie. "I don't know about his stamina cos I've never seen him in there long enough". Bruno always buried the jobbers, lol. Carbello tags in. The double team him.

Bruno: "Did you see the way Barbie was punching there. He's a big strong guy, but he doesn't get his weight behind it, so those punches are not as effective as they could be". LMAO!

Kneelift by Jack. Snapmare. Kneedrop. Jerry in. Snapmare. Knee drop. Back suplex. Fairplay, the Briscos worked a hell of a pace compared to most people in 1983. Jack in and an inside cradle. Two count. Elbow smash by Jack. Bodyslam. Jerry in. Flashy pin. Two only. Butterfly suplex (Bruno: "that's a double chickenwing suplex"). Jack in. Dropkick by Jack. Jerry in. Double Oklahoma stampede. Figure-four and that's all she wrote.

Next time: the long match vs. Murdoch and Adonis and as much as the Youngblood and Steamer stuff as I can get through.

• 3 weeks later...

Jack Brisco vs vs Terry Funk (03/26/76)

This is from St. Louis, when Funk was NWA champ. Just a low buzzing noise for audio, pretty grainy, clipping. We join Jack and Terry in the midst of a Greco-Roman knuckle lock. Couple of dropkicks from Brisco. Headlock takeover and into a headlock. Funk goes to the eyes and tries to pull Brisco's nose. Funk tries to come back but Brisco goes back to the headlock. Sends him into the turnbuckle and Funk flips over it. Funk sends Brisco packing out of the ring. He flops over the second rope and Funk gives him an elbow. Big piledriver gets Funk two. Neckbreaker gets the three for the first fall, Brisco sells it as if he's having palpatations.

Brisco's down for some time, seems to be really injured. Just to be a cock, Funk gives him a stomp. The ref is trying to revive Brisco but he's in real pain. He can't seem to get up. He sits up and Funk sneaks up behind him with a headbutt to the back of the neck. Funk brings him back up and elbows him right across his injured neck. The match is now officially in the second fall and Funk gets two. Chinlock. Headlock. Funk really grinds this headlock and Brisco struggles like hell. His arms and legs are like jelly being electricuted. Cover gets two for Funk. Brisco hits a desperation shinbreaker which Funk sells wildly. Brisco capitalises by going after the leg some more and gets on his figure-four. Funk sells this wildly flopping his arms about and he submits.

Third fall. Funk is still down and Brisco stalks the ring. Brisco continues his assault on Funk's leg. He takes it outside and slams it on the apron. He works the leg some more. Figure-four! Funk reverses and gets an inside cradle for two. Series of near falls results in Funk getting the pin and retaining the title.

I'm really glad I got to see this, it looked fantastic. We get to see quite a bit of this match and the clipping is not too severe. If we had it in full it would be an easy ****+. The psychology is just excellent here, with Funk destroying Brisco's neck in the first fall and then being a dick in not letting him recover, then Brisco managing to pull off the shinbreaker on instinct which allows him to start targetting the leg. Superb storytelling and all this was tremendously well worked. The selling in this match from both guys was excellent.

I watched it once before but I saw this again today and it's easily the best match of it's kind that I have seen from the 70s (clipped silent film) If there was one match I could magically get a full tape of it would be this one just to get an idea of what kind of a pace these guys worked through the whole match because the action we do see here is all hot.

• 3 months later...

Jack Brisco vs. Black Jack Slade (11/74??)

Little bonus match here that wasn't on my comp. I was looking for something else and stumbled on it on Youtube. It's from the Australian WCW and it seems Brisco did a tour of Australia in November of 1974, so that would date it to that although various results lists don't have it period.

"Solider" Black Jack Slade is managed by someone called "Big John". The weights are announced in stone which I dig the hell out of because here in the UK we go by stones and lbs, not just lbs. 14lbs in one stone. So to learn Brisco was 17 stone is amazing in a way, because that's a weight I understand immediately. BIG.

Non-title matchup. Footage is black and white but in good condition. Brisco just looks so good in everything he does. His execution is great, his agility and movement really good. His positioning. Just the way he works a hammerlock is like the best hammerlock ever. Wrenches it with such intensity. He's against a sub-par opponent here, but the way he sells his punches while showing fire on his knees is terrific. I sound like I'm hyperbolising here, but I honestly think Brisco was just the best babyface who ever walked the earth. Comeback with his clubbing forearms is great before he wins with the figure four in four minutes. Post-match Big John comes in with stomps on Brisco while he's still in the figure four. ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER! Elbow drop!! Mark Lewin runs in. King Curtis Ikea runs in! They are there to ward off Abdullah and defend the champion. Brisco is having convulsions after the attack. Abby lurks at ringside as Lewin and Curtis check on Brisco.

Lord Layton now: "Nothing is sacred in this life. Even the World's champion has to have his moment of glory spoilt by Big Bad John. The General must interfere, so what are we going to do about this? Why couldn't you leave the champion alone?" John goes over to the mic now with Abby there too. Big John is not a great promo but gets his points across alright.

I wonder how much of this WCW Australia stuff is out there. Between this and the Harley segment, it looks real fun.

Are these all the Terry Funk-Jack Brisco singles matches out there?

1973 - Terry Funk vs. Jerry Brisco (Clipped Silent Film) (St. Louis, MO)

1975.10.12 - Jack Brisco vs Terry Funk (Clipped Silent Film) (Miami, FL)
1975.12.10 - Jack Brisco vs. Terry Funk (Clipped Silent Film) (Florida)

1976.3.26 - Terry Funk vs. Jack Brisco (Clipped Silent Film) (St. Louis, MO)

I've seen the Miami and 76 St. Louis ones and reviewed them here. Both look amazing from what we get.

The other two I've not seen and will try to find. 73 one is on YouTube, but need to see if it wasn't that I saw when I reviewed 76. Date could be wrong.

Edit: can confirm 76 date as correct as Funk was champ in the match. Ohhhh new Jack to review!

I should have included the info on where to find them:

1973 - Terry Funk vs. Jerry Brisco (Clipped Silent Film) (St. Louis, MO) (YouTube)
1975.12.10 - Jack Brisco vs. Terry Funk (Clipped Silent Film) (Florida) (WWE: The History of the World Heavyweight Championship DVD, WWE 24/7, Film Room with Gordon Solie - Terry Funk)
1976.3.26 - Terry Funk vs. Jack Brisco (Clipped Silent Film) (St. Louis, MO) (Terry Funk Comp)

If anyone could upload the '76 match, that would be excellent. I don't have the Terry comp.

Parv, I can upload the '75 match for you when I get home this evening (might not stay up too long since it's ©WWE).

Jack Brisco vs. Terry Funk (1973)

This is from St. Louis, but it is being presented from Florida with Gordin Solie on commentary. It is from the WWE's Gordon Solie Film Room series. We get about 6 minutes of continuous action to the finish.

This wasn't quite as stellar as the other examples we have but still some very solid work as Terry works over Jack methodically for the best part including a piledriver which Brisco sells with the shaky leg convulsions. We get a comeback that Terry cuts off by dumping Brisco, suplex back in. Funk goes for a rolling cradle but Brisco blocks and hooks the leg for a pin out of nowhere, which seems to have been par for the course on his defences.

Reviews of 12/10/75 match here and 76 one here

So it was just missing 73 one I reckon.

Looking at the dates, I think it is VERY likely that the 12/10/75 match and the 10/12/75 match are one and the same. If you could upload I'll double check, cheers!

Briscos vs. Funks:

Terry Funk & Dory Funk Jr vs Jack & Jerry Brisco (Date unknown) (WWE 24/7: Film Room with Gordon Solie - Terry Funk)

Terry & Dory Funk vs. Jack & Jerry Brisco (Florida 1970s) (Terry Funk Comp)

Terry & Dory Funk + Jack & Jerry Brisco (Florida 1/82) (YouTube)

Terry & Dory Funk vs. Jack & Jerry Brisco (Florida 2/6/82)(Dailymotion)

Any additional footage or dates would be appreciated.

Peach, almost everything I've seen other than the 73 defence vs. Terry and that one random Australian match against Black Jack Slade has been from this comp:

http://www.ioffer.com/i/jack-brisco-11-dvd-set-free-s-h-pro-wrestling-501118062

While he's a good trader, he has an annoying habit of never dating his matches. If you do find out the dates of the Funks tags, let me know because I gave up digging around for dates by the time of the tag discs.

This reminds me that I have TWO more discs of Brisco left (one is all vs. Dory Jr ... saving till the end! and one is the run vs. Steamboat and Youngblood as well as the Murdoch / Adonis match). I believe after I'm through with that I'll have seen every bit of Jack Brisco available on tape. If anyone comes across ANYTHING else, let me know. Fingers crossed on Bruce Tharpe uploading some Houston matches too.