Pro Wrestling Only

Jack Brisco

JerryvonKramer

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Briscos vs. Funks:

Terry Funk & Dory Funk Jr vs Jack & Jerry Brisco (Date unknown) (WWE 24/7: Film Room with Gordon Solie - Terry Funk)

Terry & Dory Funk vs. Jack & Jerry Brisco (Florida 1970s) (Terry Funk Comp)

Terry & Dory Funk + Jack & Jerry Brisco (Florida 1/82) (YouTube)

Terry & Dory Funk vs. Jack & Jerry Brisco (Florida 2/6/82)(Dailymotion)

Any additional footage or dates would be appreciated.

Okay, now I'm really confused on the two linked matches. I've reviewed both previously but haven't locked down dates.

Youtube match appears to be this:

01/07 Tampa, FL(TV) Terry & Dory Funk, Jr. beat Jack & Jerry Brisco to win NWA(Florida) North American Tag Title

Dory and Terry win the match and it seems to check out.

Dailymotion one, you'd think then would be this:

01/16 St. Petersburg, FL Jack & Jerry Brisco beat Terry & Dory Funk, Jr. to win NWA(Florida) North American Tag Title

But it isn't, because the Funks get the pin. Solie mentions that it is in the Bayfront centre, which is in St. Petersberg, but that it was for a regional tournament. That wouldn't make it this match. So either the Mid-Atlantic guys have a date missing or the Dailymotion uploader has the date wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jack Brisco and The Avenger vs. Terry Funk and Jumbo Tsuruta (4/27/81)

Again this is listed as "live event" rather than TV, but has commentary. Where has this stuff been, I wonder? The Avenger is Moose Morowski under a hood. I wonder where Jerry was in 1981, Jack doesn't have the biggest name partners on this tour. But is clearly working heel.

Avenger manages to gain advantage over Terry and tags in Jack. Jumbo in. Abdominal stretch by him. Sunset flip. Avenger in. Great shinbreaker by Jumbo on Avenger. Terry in. Avenger is a very vocal seller, he's almost Iron Mike Sharpe loud. A lot of yelling and agony. Terry with an Indian deathlock. Avenger's selling is really pretty good here.

Jumbo comes in and takes over on the Indian deathlock. Boston crab now. Jack in. He's so wily and wiry as the grizzled heel in the 80s. Terry in. Beautiful drop toehold by Jack. Into an arm lock now. Knee into the thigh. Jack was a great technical wrestler, shines through in his mat work. Awesome spot now where he goes for the drop toehold a second time and Terry leaps over it, and then gets on his own drop toehold, brilliant payback spot. Jack dumps Terry now, allowing Avenger to get in some cheap shots. Avenger in with clubbing blows. Terry comes back with Texas jabs. Jumbo in with the running tiger knee! Spinning toehold! Avenger taps, that's it.

Really fun match, with the Jack-Terry exchanges being exceptional, sort of chemistry you can only build up with someone you've wrestled 100s of times. Very enjoyable watch. Avenger looked really solid too.

***1/2

• 4 years later...

Jack Brisco vs Ted DiBiase (2/5/84)

Pretty much a dream match for me which Pete sent me earlier (cheers mate!). This is pretty late on for Brisco while Ted is basically in his prime. DiBiase is working heel and was the National Champ at this time, the top belt in GCW. Brisco, of course, owned the territory at this time.

This is a well worked match that goes a good 15 minutes, which Brisco controls for large segments. Extended shine sees him working the arm, some neat knee drops. Ted begs in the corner and we get our cut off. His heat sequence consists chiefly of chokes and and a chin lock, and then Brisco is back on top, first working the back and then Ted misses a knee drop and we get a figurefour before Ted manages to get to the ropes for the cheap glove finish. Does pin Brisco clean in the middle though.

Decent match with good heat. Ted worked a little too underneath for my tastes because Brisco’s tremendous strength was selling, but he made him look good while keeping his heat and that’s all that was required here. Excellent selling of the leg post-match.