Pro Wrestling Only

The Steiner Brothers

El-P

I've noticed a lot of moments in their matches where Rick, in particular, seems to hold his opponent's offence in such contempt, at times even smiling at it. I know he's supposed to be this crazy, mentally-unhinged guy, but I always detect a hint of "you expect me to sell that weak shit" attitude. Him laughing at Petty's missed dive at Starrcade 90 stands out in a similar way. I liked Rick more as the lovable lug pre-Scotty's arrival, and would rather watch the First Family than the Steiner brothers.

Yes, this is exactly how Rick comes off after a while. I'm not sure when the change happens, but at some point the Steiner become really unberably egotistical, probably because they knew they could beat the shit out of people for real. Unless they got guys like Doom, the Shrinkers, Doc/Gordy who are real bad ass and who know their shit (well, Butch Reed did at least). The Road Warriors cames off like monsters. The Steiners came off like dicks.

• 4 weeks later...

Rick Steiner vs Ludvig Borga 1/17/94 - MSG

The things you watch when you're watching everything. This has to be the best Borga match I've ever seen and boy is that not saying much. Stooging to begin with Rick chasing him around the ring. Crowd seems super hot for this but it could be the fancam. The basic story is that Borga would cheat and just clobber Steiner with some pretty good looking offense (mainly clotheslines). Rick would hit a big move but Borga would cheat and get back on top. Eventually, Rick gets fed up with this and slaps on an armbar which is a weird thing to do mid match but it sort of makes sense. Borga keeps getting up quickly though and after a ducked clothesline escalates things with a huge flying one. It eventually heads out to the floor where Rick hits him with a chair and we get a double count out. I don't give star ratings but this would be over a ** 1/2, I think, which is pretty damn impressive for a Borga match.