Pro Wrestling Only

Ric Flair

goodhelmet

I'll just quote you the bit on George Scott from Meltzer (WON 01/30/89, p. 1):

George Scott was the booker for JCP, when it was strictly a Mid Atlantic promotion, in the middle-70s and gained a strong reputation as a booker during this tenure where he developed many future superstars in this business, particularly Ric Flair and Ricky Steamboat. They had about a three-year period of doing super business with Flair and Steamboat on top and went from being just another small regional office to one or two of the strongest offices in the country during Scott's reign. Some claim that it wasn't so much Scott's great ideas that did this, but the fact they had great talent and Flair and Blackjack Mulligan came up with lots of great ideas which Scott implemented during that period.

I wanted to verify this with Tim Hornbaker's NWA book (which, incidentally, is structurally deficient to an almost intolerable level), but he's disappointingly vague on Mid Atlantic's rise and very light on detail.

There's a mention of Jim Crockett Jr's "aggressive approach [which] expanded Crockett Promotions throughout the United States" (p. 302). I assume he's really thinking of the 80s there.

At one point he calls George Scott a "clever booker" (p. 352).

He calls Flair "the premier young star for Crockett" (p. 351)

Not a lot of help.

Greg Oliver and Steven Johnson's entry for Flair in The Heels is also very light on details, it merely says that Flair was young and hungry in the 70s who, according to Mike Mooneyham, "had world title written all over him" (p. 90). But as we move to the 80s it rather glibly says "as wrestling transitioned into a national business" (p.91) and prefers to focus on how Flair changed the heel/face dynamic than his role in said transition.

I looked up Steamboat's entry in Heroes & Icons to see if anything was mentioned about what the feud did for Mid-Atlantic there, but despite quotations from George Scott and a look at the 70s feud it doesn't really say how they affected the promotion beyond saying the drew (p. 72).

I do think there's a question mark over the extent to which Crockett as a territory grew in importance during the 70s and how big it was before that. There is no doubt that Flair was a national star by 1978.

I guess the question is: were guys who were big in that territory before Flair's time -- like Johnny Weaver, Sandy Scott, or even Paul Jones -- national stars on that sort of level?

Quite interested to know.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the question is: were guys who were big in that territory before Flair's time -- like Johnny Weaver, Sandy Scott, or even Paul Jones -- national stars on that sort of level?

Quite interested to know.

Weaver, Scott and Jones worked many places, but were generally regional stars. Most wrestlers were regional stars during that era. Aside from NWA champions and a few other traveling novelty types, the bulk of people we view as major stars from that era were not "national" stars. Certainly not in the sense we would use that term now.

If wrestling were an academic discipline I'd say there "is more work to be done" here. This much is known:

- Mid Atlantic had a rise in stature during the mid- and late-70s.

- Flair was their main star at that time.

- Flair was a national star before he was world champ, previous stars of that territory were not national stars.

- This coincided with several historically significant territories closing down elsewhere in the country.

I'd expect to see Phd applications on the following sorts of research questions:

- To what extent was 'nationalisation' taking place in the 70s (as opposed to the 80s)?

- How "aggressive" was Jim Crockett Jr. as compared with Vince Jr. -- in other words, to what extent was the above phenomena driven by Vince's WWF and to what extent was it driven by Crockett? (pre-84)

- If Mid-Atlantic does have a role to play in this phenomena, was it taking place simply as an historical or economic inevitability, or did something about the way wrestling was being booked and presented fundamentally change in the mid-late-70s?

- How many eyeballs were seeing Mid Atlantic TV every week? Which regions could get it?

- What was Ric Flair's role in all of the above?

- Would it have made a difference if a breakout star like Flair had not been around at that time?

These questions are important, I think, because they try to get to the bottom of a question that is seldom asked: what was Ric Flair's importance to Mid-Atlantic (and more broadly to the shape wrestling was taking) before he was NWA champ?

For unstandable reasons the majortiy of studies skip over this period in wrestling to focus on the more exciting, more tangible and plain easier to see stuff that Vince was doing in the 80s. How Crockett came to be a major player just isn't given as much attention -- and when it is, it focuses on his role in gaining control of and booking the world title or his acquisitions in the 80s, not on what Mid-Atlantic were doing in the mid-late-70s to get him there.

If people know more on this, or can link to things with the sort of detail I'm looking for, would be grateful if you could post.

Honestly, that small statement from Meltzer on Scott in 89 is the most insightful thing I've found so far, and it seems to be based mainly on hearsay.

If you are really interested my advice would be to get a hold of clawmaster's or KrisZ's MACW results (or both) and look at the Mid-Atlantic Gateway site at minimum. When I do stuff like my research on Patera I comb through tons of stuff and I'm half assing it compared to more serious researchers. The point is there is tons of stuff out there and while you may not get a complete picture you can find enough to piece together a general idea.

My personal view is that Flair was the perfect talent, in the perfect place, at the perfect time - that is usually the story with the all time greats in wrestling

It depends on how you define "Flair's time". Do you mean when he simply showed up in JCP, or when he became one of the handful of top stars there?

Flair's real push to the top was in 1976 with his feud with Wahoo over the Mid-Atlantic Title and his pairing with Greg Valentine to win the World Tag Titles at the end of the year. He actually won the MA title late in 1975, but quickly went out of action after the plan crash, so it's probably better to say the really big push was 1976.

The other reason to say that is because Johnny Valentine was clearly the top heel in JCP until the plane crash. Johnny dominated the Mid-Atlantic title all through 1974 and into mid-1975, really only dropping it to Wahoo because he was going to win the new (and more important) US Title a couple of days later. He was launching into what looked like another stretch of dominating a title when the plane crash happened.

So to me, "before Flair's time" is before he got to the very top of JCP. The top guys just prior to that were Johnny Valentine (lead singles heel), Wahoo (lead face) and the Andersons (lead heel team). The Andersons dominated the MA Tag Title in 1973, then the newly formed World Tag Titles in 1975 through October 1977. Even Ric & Greg's first title right was a short 4 month break before Ole & Gene took them back.

As far as being national stars, Johnny and Wahoo clearly were. Johnny probably worked as a top heel in most of the major territories of the country at one point or another. We could safely call him one of the top heels in the country from the late 50s through the mid-70s. He seems to have settled down to a good run in the Mid-Atlantic, and it didn't look like the end was in sight when the plane crash happened. Seemed like the office liked him, and it seems like JCP was doing good business with him. Wahoo also had worked as a top star in a lot of places.

The Andersons also worked on top in Georgia and other territories. They weren't close to the national stars that Johnny and Wahoo were, so you probably aren't going to see them pop up in as many territories. But they did get around.

Thanks for this jdw, that was pretty much what I thought the situation was. But the big difference between Flair and either Wahoo or Valentine is that Flair became a national star SOLEY through Mid Atlantic.

The question would be for Wahoo and Valentine, were they national stars prior to their Mid Atlantic run? Based on what you've said there, the answer seems like it is yes.

Another question would be, outside of WWWF, did anyone else from that era become a national star based on their work solely through one promotion? The example of the Andersons suggests not and they were just working Mid Atlantic and Georgia.

Soooo ...

That suggests something about Mid Atlantic changed from the early 70s to the time when Flair was on top 76-8.

How else could Flair become a national star?

----

A side question would be, of course, how much did Valentine and Wahoo give Mid-Atlantic a sort of "rub" in the early 70s? Or, in other words, how much did them being there elevate the promotion?

If wrestling were an academic discipline I'd say there "is more work to be done" here.

Eh gads...

This much is known:

- Mid Atlantic had a rise in stature during the mid- and late-70s.

We actually don't know a great deal about that relative to the 50s and 60s and 70s because pro wrestling history isn't well documented. So this isn't "known".

- Flair was their main star at that time.

After the plane crash, Ric *eventually* became the top star.

- Flair was a national star before he was world champ, previous stars of that territory were not national stars.

Ric really wasn't a "national star" before becoming the world champ. He worked elsewhere in limited ways. He certainly wasn't a national star like Andre was. He wasn't a bigger national star in 1978 than Superstar Graham was. He wasn't as big of a national star in 1978 as Dusty was.

As far as previous stars of JCP, Johnny Valentine was a bigger national star than Flair was at any point prior to Flair winning the World Title. *That* is what truly made Flair a major, massive national star. Wahoo also was a bigger national star in say 1975 than Flair was prior to winning the World Title.

- This coincided with several historically significant territories closing down elsewhere in the country.

I don't think they're related at all, so it's not worth tying into Flair. I think Dylan covered it well:

That's really questionable.

Geographically MACW covered as big a base as anybody other than the AWA and the WWF. You could argue that during points of the 60's and 70's other territories were hotter or had bigger big shows. But places like Detroit, San Fran, LA and Montreal all died out or were in the process of dying out by 78. Even if you wanted to argue they were "above" MACW for points of the prior decades, it wasn't as if Flair caused a drastic boom that changed things - it was that those places shit the bed.

That Det, San Fran and LA died (which frankly didn't happen until the earlies 80s for good) didn't have anything to do with JCP getting hot, or really relate to each other. Territories tended to be cyclical. Los Angeles when through various periods of being hot in the 30s, 40, 50s, 60s, and 70s... and also down times in all of them. This wasn't simply a "promotion" going up and down: older promotions / promoters crapped out and were replaced by new ones. San Fran was the same, and Det cycled through promoters if one goes all the way back to the 30s and on through the 70s.

We don't have a really full picture of JCP from the 50s on through 1985 when they started expanding. So what we "know" about JCP is very limited.

I'd expect to see Phd applications on the following sorts of research questions:

Wrestling history isn't worth even joking about Phd applications. That's coming from someone who likes wrestling history far more than the average fan.

- To what extent was 'nationalisation' taking place in the 70s (as opposed to the 80s)?

Don't even know what you're asking here. On territories? Very little. On wrestlers? Lots of wrestlers bounced around territories rather than staying in one place, and hence over time you could say they worked "nationally".

- How "aggressive" was Jim Crockett Jr. as compared with Vince Jr. -- in other words, to what extent was the above phenomena driven by Vince's WWF and to what extent was it driven by Crockett? (pre-84)

Crockett drove nothing pre-84. He ran his own territory, one that was bound by other territories. He wasn't aggressive.

There were two types of "expansion" efforts prior to the WWF's major expansion:

* moving into "open" or "dead" territories

For example, California was essentially dead / open by 1983 as both the Los Angeles and NoCal office shut down. So you had the WWF and the AWA move in to run shows in California. The GA office also moved into Ohio at a certain point because it was generally open. I'm sure others can point to various other regions that were like this.

* moving into other people's territories

The AWA tried to promote in Los Angeles in the late 60s with some loaded up cards. The LA office kicked their ass, and Verne left with his tail between his legs. Honestly don't know why he did it because it wasn't at a point when the LA office was bombing. I think he may have tried the same thing in San Fran opposite of Shire at some point and got his ass kicked as well. That type of thing (and existing outside office trying to steal a territory) was kind of rare.

There were successful attempts, which was largely a new promoter starting up a new promotion in a territory that was dying / in bad shape. I don't think the old San Fran office was completely dead when Shire came in... he just killed it off. I think the same thing was the case when what became the WWA in Los Angeles came in - it wasn't as if there was no wrestling in Los Angeles, but the old office was way down and long suffering. The new office did business with Carpentier and then Blassie, and that was all she wrote. This was a bit more common, and there are plenty of examples people can point to where a territory effectively was taken over rather than "expanded into".

- If Mid-Atlantic does have a role to play in this phenomena, was it taking place simply as an historical or economic inevitability, or did something about the way wrestling was being booked and presented fundamentally change in the mid-late-70s?

Mid-Atlantic had nothing to do with expansion, other than to respond to it a year after Vince went national.

- How many eyeballs were seeing Mid Atlantic TV every week?

Who knows and who gives a shit. Don't apply modern pro wrestling TV to old territory TV. The point was simply to get people out to the house shows. If the house show business was successful, TV was a part of it... but hardly an exclusive part of it. Good talent, good storylines (not in a TV sense), good booking (again not in a TV sense) all played a role.

Which regions could get it?

The Mid Atlantic region. JCP wouldn't give a shit about being on in Los Angeles in the 70s: those folks weren't going to come out to see the house shows.

- What was Ric Flair's role in all of the above?

Moot.

- Would it have made a difference if a breakout star like Flair had not been around at that time?

Moot.

These questions are important,

Not really.

I think, because they try to get to the bottom of a question that is seldom asked: what was Ric Flair's importance to Mid-Atlantic (and more broadly to the shape wrestling was taking) before he was NWA champ?

No one asks them because they're pointless.

Ric was a big star in Mid-Atlantic before becoming NWA Champ. There were lots of guys who were big stars in their territories in 1976-81. Bob Backlund, for example. Nick Bockwinkel, for example. Antonio Inoki, for example.

Ric was a big star in JCP. JCP did good business, and Ric was a key part of that.

For unstandable reasons the majortiy of studies skip over this period in wrestling to focus on the more exciting, more tangible and plain easier to see stuff that Vince was doing in the 80s.

Studies? Who are these people writing "studies"?

How Crockett came to be a major player just isn't given as much attention -- and when it is, it focuses on his role in gaining control of and booking the world title or his acquisitions in the 80s, not on what Mid-Atlantic were doing in the mid-late-70s to get him there.

Really? People have written about Crockett moving up into the top group of promoters of the NWA as Sam's power base slowly faded. He became president for the first time in 1980. What more do you need to know: he was respected by his piers.

He didn't exactly "gain control" of the world title as much as the rest of the NWA died around him, and it happened to be his wrestler (Flair) who was the world champion. If there had been a number of small piss ant territories left in 1986 that were clamoring for 80% of the dates of the NWA Champ, it's likely that Crockett and Dusty would have handed over the title and called Ric the World Champ of something else so that they could have nearly all of his dates. By 1986, there wasn't a viable alternative NWA World Champ... and with offices dying, closing down... it really was moot. Texas going its own way was pretty much the final nail in any alternative to the rest of the NWA just letting Crockett being the "NWA" and accept whatever table scraps they could get. By the end of 1986, there was even less left.

Honestly, that small statement from Meltzer on Scott in 89 is the most insightful thing I've found so far, and it seems to be based mainly on hearsay.

The quote from Dave in 1989 is largely useless: it was at a time when Dave wasn't writing much on history, and really wasn't well tapped into asking about it.

John

So jdw, thanks for that long reply. Let me get this right then:

- You don't think Mid Atlantic went from being "just another office" to top #2 or #3 in the country by 1978?

- You don't think Flair was a national star before his World title run?

I just want to get those two things right.

The quotation from Meltzer was really the thing that got me set on this line of enquiry. I haven't come across anyone else who really discusses it, it's skimmed over.

If there's reason to believe Meltzer is just plain wrong on those two points, then there's no reason to pursue said line of enquiry.

One last thing:

Wrestling history isn't worth even joking about Phd applications. That's coming from someone who likes wrestling history far more than the average fan.

I really don't see why not. People do PhDs in much more fripperous things than pro wrestling. There's a huge amount of archival material there, there is original and even "pioneering" work to be done, it's part of American heritage, all the sorts of things funding bodies like.

To be honest, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. I could see some more adventerous drama or performing arts departments taking it on. Or a cultural studies department. Stranger things have happened.

Thanks for this jdw, that was pretty much what I thought the situation was. But the big difference between Flair and either Wahoo or Valentine is that Flair became a national star SOLEY through Mid Atlantic.

For fucks sake... this "national star" nonsense is like someone who can't stop looking at Nicole Kidman's tits long enough to figure out that she can act.

Ric Flair worked places other than JCP before becoming World Champ.

Flair became a national star "soley" through becoming World Champ. By that I mean, A MAJOR FUCKING NATIONAL STAR rather than a guy who got a short push in St Louis and work a tour or two of Japan and worked the undercard of MSG a time or two. Ric wasn't a truly massive major national star until be got the belt.

The question would be for Wahoo and Valentine, were they national stars prior to their Mid Atlantic run? Based on what you've said there, the answer seems like it is yes.

Pretty much anyone who knows anything about pro wrestling history knows that Valentine and Wahoo who major stars before they even came to JCP.

Another question would be, outside of WWWF, did anyone else from that era become a national star based on their work solely through one promotion?

Probably Bockwinkel in the AWA. He wasn't a massive star prior to getting there and having the Tag Title run before the World Title run. He would have been a "star" in Los Angeles in the same way Bruno was a "star": a guy that people read about in wrestling mags. Neither worked in LA much as all, they wouldn't have been on TV much at all, they just were guys who fans sorta-kinda knew were the other World Champs as opposed to the World Champ who came into their territory. Andre wasn't a national star because of the WWWF, but because he worked everywhere. Dusty worked a lot of places as well.

So "outside of the WWWF" is kind of moot, unless someone was following the mags covering every big MSG feud. But if they were doing that, they were reading about other major stars as well. Bruno and Bock and Verne were known because they were World Champs... and Verne was known nationally before he was AWA Champ.

The example of the Andersons suggests not and they were just working Mid Atlantic and Georgia.

Gene & Lars worked more widely. Ole & Gene focused more on JCP and GCW, but I'd hesitate to say it's the only place they worked in the 70s.

Soooo ...

That suggests something about Mid Atlantic changed from the early 70s to the time when Flair was on top 76-8.

I think you're leaping around.

How else could Flair become a national star?

By winning the NWA Title.

A side question would be, of course, how much did Valentine and Wahoo give Mid-Atlantic a sort of "rub" in the early 70s? Or, in other words, how much did them being there elevate the promotion?

In what sense?

The promotion did business under them. Lots of wrestlers give Wahoo credit for having an impact on the promotion and their careers, such as Flair. In turn, Flair praises the shit out of Valentine.

As far as in the eyes of fans? People in Portland generally didn't give a shit whether JCP... or Los Angeles... or San Fan... or Texas is doing business. They cared about wrestling in Portland for the most part, because that's all they saw. In turn, the promoter in Portland didn't care a ton about what was going on in JCP or LA or San Fran: he had his own promotion to run.

John

One last thing:

I really don't see why not. People do PhDs in much more fripperous things than pro wrestling. There's a huge amount of archival material there, there is original and even "pioneering" work to be done, it's part of American heritage, all the sorts of things funding bodies like.

To be honest, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. I could see some more adventerous drama or performing arts departments taking it on. Or a cultural studies department. Stranger things have happened.

Phd applications won't be on when Flair became a national star.

They'll be on why fans give a shit about a fake sport where two guys are rolling around on the mat in speedos. Wrestling history, especially in the 50s / 60s / 70s, isn't worth the effort of Phd work.

But... have at it.

John

I'll just say this: if a student sent in an application to do a PhD on something wrestling related ... obviously I woudln't take them on myself, but I *would* see try to see if there's an appropriate supervisor out there somewhere who might be able to oversee a project like that.

I think it's a little snobby to say that it simply "isn't worth the effort". Not when there are people at this moment doing theses on any number of very minor and niche topics. No one would bat an eyelid if someone wanted to do a study on the work of the Wachowski Brothers, for example. Are you saying all of pro wrestling history is worth less than The Matrix 3?

------------

Still, jdw, you've done enough to convince me that the line of enquiry is not worth pursuing. Meltzer must have been given false or exaggerated information about Scott's MACW run as booker.

So jdw, thanks for that long reply. Let me get this right then:

- You don't think Mid Atlantic went from being "just another office" to top #2 or #3 in the country by 1978?

We don't have the numbers for every promotion in the country in 1978, so we don't know.

Was it bigger than the WWF? No. Bigger than the AWA? We don't know. Bigger than others? We don't know.

How big was it in the 50s? We don't know. How big was it in the 60s? We don't know. How big was it in 1974? We don't know. We don't know that for pretty much every promotion in the country.

- You don't think Flair was a national star before his World title run?

In the sense of Andre and Dusty? Not at all. In the sense of Graham in 1978, coming off runs of being on top in the WWWF and prior to that getting a big push in the AWA? Not at all.

I'd love for someone to give me a list of everywhere Ric worked in 1980, and how big he was pushed in those places.

I just want to get those two things right.

The quotation from Meltzer was really the thing that got me set on this line of enquiry. I haven't come across anyone else who really discusses it, it's skimmed over.

Again, it's useless. But if you'd like, we can go through it:

George Scott was the booker for JCP,

True.

when it was strictly a Mid Atlantic promotion,

This was true until it took over the GA office in 1985, which was the first step of JCP "expansion".

in the middle-70s

This is true.

and gained a strong reputation as a booker during this tenure where he developed many future superstars in this business, particularly Ric Flair and Ricky Steamboat.

This is true: Scott had a rep as a good booker. Note that Dave doesn't list when Scott was the book, the start date or the end date, so we can't tie it into when Flair and Steamer were really developing.

They had about a three-year period of doing super business with Flair and Steamboat on top

Dave doesn't date this three-year period. We don't know if they were also strong before the period, i.e. the period where JV and Wahoo were on top. We don't know if it was a period when the Andersons were on top. We don't know who else was on top. It's kind of vague. Hence... it's useless on it's own.

and went from being just another small regional office to one or two of the strongest offices in the country during Scott's reign.

It's hard to say it was "one", because that would make it stronger than the WWWF, which is patented nonsense.

But again, we don't know (i) when Dave is crediting Scott as being booker, and (ii) we don't know if that three-year period actually started before Flair and Steamer when JV and Wahoo were on top... or practically anything. It's just tossed out there.

Some claim that it wasn't so much Scott's great ideas that did this, but the fact they had great talent and Flair and Blackjack Mulligan came up with lots of great ideas which Scott implemented during that period.

And here Dave is ripping Scott right after giving him credit. So it's really useless.

If there's reason to believe Meltzer is just plain wrong on those two points, then there's no reason to pursue said line of enquiry.

Two points? Dave made a lot of points in it, and contradicted his own thesis by the last sentence.

Did JCP do good business during the 70s? Yes.

When did it start and when did it end? We don't know.

How did it compare to JCP in the 60s and 50s? We don't know.

How did it compare to the rest of the country? We don't know.

Was Flair on top during parts of that good business? Yes.

All of it? We don't know... but it doesn't appear to be the case because folks point to JV and Wahoo as well.

Was Flair the sole reason for that good business? Not even Flair marks would claim that.

Should Flair be given credit for being one of the key figures in a strong territorial run? Of course - it's a big positive.

Is it as big of a positive as being a strong drawing World Champ from 1981-86? No, don't be silly.

John

Still, jdw, you've done enough to convince me that the line of enquiry is not worth pursuing. Meltzer must have been given false or exaggerated information about Scott's MACW run as booker.

You completely miss the point.

Meltzer wasn't given detailed information on Scott's run as booker, or at least didn't share it with us in any fashion that us Useful.

John

I'll just say this: if a student sent in an application to do a PhD on something wrestling related ... obviously I woudln't take them on myself, but I *would* see try to see if there's an appropriate supervisor out there somewhere who might be able to oversee a project like that.

I think it's a little snobby to say that it simply "isn't worth the effort". Not when there are people at this moment doing theses on any number of very minor and niche topics. No one would bat an eyelid if someone wanted to do a study on the work of the Wachowski Brothers, for example. Are you saying all of pro wrestling history is worth less than The Matrix 3?

I think doing a Phd study on the Wachowski Brothers is about as useful as eating the thesis produced by such a student.

I don't think a Phd on pro wrestling would product anything useful. If it were by a non-fan, the student wouldn't have enough insight to understand a broader picture of pro wrestling. If it were by a Fan, he's be bringing his own biases to the table and largely be in seeing the tree rather than the forest. It simply isn't a genre of entertainment that lends itself to the process as either direction comes at it with fucked up perspectives.

Now I'm sure a student might be able to do something that would rock the boat of those reviewing it. But if you gave that same thesis to a group of about five of us on the board, we would be able to shred it by point out where it's factually fucked up or just off the deep end.

I mean... I guess it's worth it to the student if he can bullshit his way to his PhD. That doesn't mean that the end result would be worthwhile at all to deep thinkers of pro wrestling such are ourselves. ;)

John

Flair rarely worked outside JCP before 1981. He did a show here and there at the Omni and worked St. Louis but he never ventured outside JCP actually until he got the title. Flair got more time on GCW in 1981 but it was nothing like it was after he won the title. The title made Ric a star nationally.

The plane crash made Flair a star in JCP....he was on his way before but coming back from the plane crash made him. Also if we are going to be honest here I would be inclined to say that Flair/Valentine vs. Andersons was a bigger business feud than Flair/Steamer.

Flair rarely worked outside JCP before 1981. He did a show here and there at the Omni and worked St. Louis but he never ventured outside JCP actually until he got the title. Flair got more time on GCW in 1981 but it was nothing like it was after he won the title. The title made Ric a star nationally.

Shorter and more to the point than me. :)

The plane crash made Flair a star in JCP....he was on his way before but coming back from the plane crash made him.

Double made him: one part in coming back form the crash, and two because is cleared JV out of the top heel spot. JV wasn't young at the time, be he also was just into the US Title run and it didn't look like they had another heel in mind to step into the role. Instead, it looked like Flair was primed to feud with Wahoo over the MA Title (which he lifted from Wahoo right before the crash).

Also if we are going to be honest here I would be inclined to say that Flair/Valentine vs. Andersons was a bigger business feud than Flair/Steamer.

It's hard to tell. Flair-Steamer may have been since it went longer and they kept coming back to it.

1974-76 and the reason I start with 1974 is because the transition has now been made to making JCP a singles led territory with Super Destroyer (Jardine)

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – January 17, 1974 (5,100)

Don Kernodle d. Joe Soto by DQ

Swede Hanson d. Bobby Bold Eagle

Beauregard d. Homer O’Dell

Scott Casey & Nick DeCarlo d. Frank Cochran & Jim Dalton

Les Thatcher & Bearcat Wright d. Brute Bernard & Jay York

Johnny Valentine d. Art Nelson

Super Destroyer fought Johnny Weaver to a draw

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – February 14, 1974 (3,900)

LD Lewis fought Bill White to a draw

Joe Furr d. El Gaucho

Swede Hanson d. Les Thatcher

Gene Anderson d. Bob Bruggers

Danny Miller d. Gene Lewis

Jerry Brisco & Sandy Scott d. Brute Bernard & Chuck O’Connor

Bearcat Wright d. Ole Anderson

Super Destroyer d. Johnny Weaver

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – March 14, 1974 (4,469)

John Heidemann d. Terry Sawyer

Bob Bruggers d. Bill White

Brute Bernard d. Ed Wiskowski

Scott Casey & Les Thatcher d. Frank Cochran & Ricky Ferrara

Bearcat Wright d. Chuck O’Connor

Gene & Ole Anderson, & Johnny Valentine battled Abe Jacobs, Danny Miller, & Sandy Scott to a no contest

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – April 4, 1974

Scott Casey & Les Thatcher d. Jim Dalton & Gene Lewis

Pedro Godoy d. Joe Soto

Nelson Royal fought Jumbo Tsuruta to a draw

Ivan Koloff & Chuck O’Connor d. Bob Bruggers & Sandy Scott

Paul Jones d. Bill White

Johnny Valentine d. Johnny Weaver

NWA World Heavyweight Title: Jack Brisco © d. Super Destroyer

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – April 25, 1974 (5,680)

John Heidemann d. Jay French

Abe Jacobs d. Bruce Swayze

Danny Miller d. Mr. Ota

Bob Bruggers d. Gene Lewis

Bill Crouch & Ed Wiskowki d. El Gaucho & Two Ton Harris

Haystacks Calhoun, Paul Jones, & Johnny Weaver d. Gene Anderson, Ivan Koloff, & Chuck O’Connor

Johnny Valentine d. Bearcat Wright by countout

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – May 16, 1974 (3,500)

Tiger Conway Jr. d. Two Ton Harris

Johnny Weaver d. Gene Lewis

Nelson Royal d. Ed Wiskowski

Bill Crouch & Don Kernodole fought Ricky Ferrara & Mike Paidousis to a draw

Ric Flair & Chuck O’Connor d. Abe Jacobs & Danny Miller

Mid-Atlantic TV Title: Ivan Koloff © battled Sandy Scott to a DDQ

Bearcat Wright & Swede Hanson d. Super Destroyer & Johnny Valentine by countout

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – June 6, 1974 (6,248)

Sandy Scott d. Frank Valois

Bob Bruggers d. Pedro Godoy

Abe Jacobs & Johnny Weaver d. Two Ton Harris & Mike Paidousis

Rip Hawk d. Ed Wiskowski

Mr. Hayashi & Mr. Ota d. Amazing Zuma & Danny Miller

11 Man Battle Royal won by Bob Bruggers

Swede Hanson & Sonny King d. Super Destroyer & Johnny Valentine

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – July 4, 1974

Abe Jacobs & Danny Miller d. Mike Paidousis & Bill White

Tommy Seigler d. Bill White

Steel Cage Match: Super Destroyer d. Swede Hanson

Mid-Atlantic Tag Titles: Ric Flair & Rip Hawk d. Bob Bruggers & Paul Jones ©

Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Title: Sonny King d. Johnny Valentine © by DQ

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – July 25, 1974 (4,754)

Ken Dillenger fought Ed Wiskowski to a draw

Two Ton Harris & Mike Paidousis d. Bill Ash & Les Thatcher

Tommy Seigler d. Pedro Godoy

The Avenger d. Frank Morrell

Ivan Koloff & Chuck O’Connor d. Klondike Bill & Danny Miller

Mid-Atlantic TV Title: Paul Jones © d. Super Destroyer

Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Title: Johnny Valentine © d. Sonny King

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – August 15, 1974 (5,642)

Frank Morrell d. Bill Crouch

The Avenger d. Two Ton Harris

Ken Dillenger & Cowboy Parker fought Klondike Bill & Tio Tio to a draw

Art Nelson & Chuck O’Connor d. Bob Bruggers & Abe Jacobs

Paul Jones & Sonny King battled Ivan Koloff & Super Destroyer to a no contest

Wahoo McDaniel d. Johnny Valentine

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – September 5, 1974 (7,998)

Klondike Bill d. Pedro Godoy

Nelson Royal d. Mike Paidousis by DQ

Bob Bruggers & Tommy Seigler d. Two Ton Harris & Frank Morrell

Danny Miller & Sandy Scott d. Mr. Hayashi & Mr. Ota

Tiger Conway Jr. d. Ric Flair

Andre the Giant d. Super Destroyer by DQ

Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Title: Johnny Valentine © fought Wahoo McDaniel to a 60:00 draw

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – September 26, 1974 (5,252)

Frank Morrell fought Tio Tio to a draw

Two Ton Harris d. Bill Ash

Art Nelson d. Abe Jacobs

Sandy Scott & Johnny Weaver d. Ken Dillenger & Cowboy Parker

Tiger Conway Jr. & Swede Hanson d. Ric Flair & Rip Hawk by DQ

Paul Jones d. Ivan Koloff

Johnny Valentine d. Wahoo McDaniel

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – October 3, 1974 (5,250)

Frank Morrell fought Tio Tio to a draw

Two Ton Harris d. Bill Ash

Art Nelson d. Abe Jacobs

Sandy Scott & Johnny Weaver d. Ken Dillenger & Cowboy Parker

Mid-Atlantic Tag Titles: Tiger Conway Jr. & Swede Hanson d. Ric Flair & Rip Hawk © by DQ

Mid-Atlantic TV Title: Paul Jones © d. Ivan Koloff

Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Title: Johnny Valentine © d. Wahoo McDaniel

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – November 7, 1974 (4,700)

Joe Furr fought Mike Paidousis to a draw

Mr. Fuji d. Bob Bruggers

Tommy Seigler d. Mr. Ota

The Avenger & Sandy Scott d. Brute Bernard & Cowboy Parker

Johnny Weaver d. Art Nelson

Paul Jones, Sonny King, & Wahoo McDaniel d. Ivan Koloff, Super Destroyer, & Johnny Valentine

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – November 28, 1974 (11,268)

Danny Miller fought Chuck O’Connor to a draw

Ken Dillenger & Cowboy Parker d. Bill Ash & Klondike Bill

Paul Jones d. Pak Song

Ric Flair & Ivan Koloff d. Tiger Conway Jr. & Johnny Weaver

Mr. Fuji d. Sandy Scott

The Avenger d. Super Destroyer by DQ

Steel Cage Match – SR – Joe Louis: Swede Hanson d. Rip Hawk

NWA World Heavyweight Title: Wahoo McDaniel d. Jack Brisco © by DQ

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – December 26, 1974

Klondike Bill d. Mike Paidousis

Tommy Seigler d. Frank Morrell

Sandy Scott d. Two Ton Harris

Tiger Conway Jr., Swede Hanson, & Danny Miller d. Rip Hawk, Art Nelson, & Chuck O’Connor

Fabulous Moolah d. Susan Green

Paul Jones d. Ivan Koloff

Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Title: Johnny Valentine © d. Wahoo McDaniel by DQ

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – January 16, 1975

Cowboy Parker d. Joe Furr

Mike Stallings d. Frank Monte

Kevin Sullivan d. Mr. Hayashi

Brute Bernard d. Tio Tio

Gene & Ole Anderson, & Ric Flair d. Tiger Conway Jr., Swede Hanson, & Sandy Scott

Lumberjack Elimination Match: Paul Jones & Wahoo McDaniel d. Ivan Koloff & Super Destroyer by DQ

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – January 30, 1975 (4,200)

Don Kernodle d. Mike Paidousis

Mike Stallings d. Ken Dillenger

Mr. Fuji d. Klondike Bill

Gene Anderson d. Charlie Cook

Abe Jacobs fought Art Nelson to a draw

Mid-Atlantic Tag Titles: Tiger Conway Jr. & Paul Jones © d. Ric Flair & Mr. Fuji

The Avenger d. Super Destroyer by DQ

NWA World Heavyweight Title: Jack Brisco © d. Wahoo McDaniel by DQ

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – February 20, 1975 (7,812)

Sandy Scott & Tio Tio d. Frank Monte & Frank Morrell

Tommy Seigler fought Kevin Sullivan to a draw

Ken Patera d. Art Nelson

Jerry Brisco d. Cowboy Parker

Mid-Atlantic TV Title: Ric Flair © battled Dusty Rhodes to a double countout

NWA World Tag Titles: Gene & Ole Anderson © d. Tiger Conway Jr. & Paul Jones

No DQ Match for the NWA World Heavyweight Title: Jack Brisco © d. Wahoo McDaniel

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – March 13, 1975 (6,224)

Steve Keirn d. Mr. Hayashi

Tiger Conway Jr. d. Frank Monte

Blackjack Mulligan & Mr. Fuji d. Charlie Cook & Swede Hanson

Super Destroyer d. The Avenger

Dusty Rhodes d. Ric Flair by DQ

Indian Strap Match: Wahoo McDaniel d. Johnny Valentine

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – April 3, 1975

Bob Bruggers & Tommy Seigler d. Ken Dillenger & Cowboy Parker

Doug Gilbert fought Sandy Scott to a draw

Superstar Billy Graham d. Abe Jacobs

Rufus R. Jones & Sonny King d. Mr. Fuji & Art Nelson

Blackjack Mulligan d. Dusty Rhodes

NWA World Tag Titles: Gene & Ole Anderson © battled Paul Jones & Wahoo McDaniel to a no contest

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – April 24, 1975

Tio Tio d. Frank Morrell

Kevin Sullivan d. Bill Crouch

Bob Bruggers & Klondike Bill d. Brute Bernard & Cowboy Parker

Swede Hanson & Sonny King d. Ric Flair & Doug Gilbert

Wahoo McDaniel d. Super Destroyer

Dusty Rhodes d. Blackjack Mulligan

SR – Haystacks Calhoun: Paul Jones battled Johnny Valentine to a no contest

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – May 15, 1975

Don Kernodle d. Bill Crouch

Ox Baker d. Charlie Cook

Sandy Scott d. Frank Monte

Bob Bruggers & Swede Hanson d. Mr. Fuji & Art Nelson by DQ

Mid-Atlantic TV Title: Ric Flair © d. Ken Patera by DQ

Texas Bullrope Match: Dusty Rhodes d. Blackjack Mulligan

NWA World Tag Titles: Paul Jones & Wahoo McDaniel d. Gene & Ole Anderson © in 33:00

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – June 5, 1975 (6,147)

Crusher Blackwell battled Klondike Bill to a double countout

Steve Keirn d. Charlie Fulton

Kevin Sullivan d. Greg Peterson

Brute Bernard d. Bill Crouch

Sonny King d. Super Destroyer by DQ

The Great Malenko d. Jose Lothario

Gene & Ole Anderson d. Swede Hanson & Sandy Scott

NWA World Tag Titles: Paul Jones & Wahoo McDaniel © d. Jack & Jerry Brisco

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – July 3, 1975 (10,000)

Ron Starr d. Don Serrano

Steve Keirn d. Joe Soto

Klondike Bill & Sandy Scott d. Two Ton Harris & Frank Monte

Ox Baker fought Danny Miller to a draw

The Great Malenko d. Abe Jacobs

Rufus R. Jones d. El Gaucho

Ken Patera d. Mr. Fuji

20 Man Battle Royal won by Rufus R. Jones

NWA World Tag Titles: Gene & Ole Anderson © d. Andre the Giant & Paul Jones

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – July 26, 1975 (8,547)

Charlie Fulton fought Greg Peterson to a draw

Doug Gilbert d. Klondike Bill

Mr. Wrestling d. Crusher Blackwell

The Great Malenko & Missouri Mauler d. Steve Keirn & Ron Starr

Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Title: Wahoo McDaniel © d. Ric Flair by countout

US Heavyweight Title: Johnny Valentine © d. Harley Race

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – August 17, 1975 (9,000)

The Sheik vs. Kevin Sullivan never took place because Sheik no-showed

Don Kernodle d. Don Serrano

Tony Atlas d. Larry Sharpe

The Great Malenko & Missouri Mauler d. Klondike Bill & Swede Hanson

Tim Woods d. Ron Starr

Rufus R. Jones d. Ric Flair

US Heavyweight Title: Johnny Valentine © d. Dusty Rhodes by countout

NWA World Tag Titles: Gene & Ole Anderson © battled Paul Jones & Wahoo McDaniel to a DDQ

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – September 7, 1975 (9,352)

Greg Peterson & Tony Rocco d. Charlie Fulton & Bill Howard

Klondike Bill fought Art Nelson to a draw

Tiger Conway Jr. d. Doug Gilbert

Spoiler #2 d. Swede Hanson

Tim Woods d. Brute Bernard

Rufus R. Jones & Ken Patera d. The Great Malenko & Missouri Mauler

Texas Tornado Match: Wahoo McDaniel & Tim Woods d. Gene & Ole Anderson

US Heavyweight Title: Dusty Rhodes d. Johnny Valentine © by DQ

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – September 28, 1975 (9,600)

Steve Keirn & Danny Miller d. Crusher Blackwell & Mike DuBois

Tiger Conway Jr. d. Ric Flair

Spoiler #2 d. The Avenger

Ken Patera d. The Great Malenko

Bounty Match: Ray Stevens d. Tim Woods by DQ

US Heavyweight Title: Johnny Valentine © d. Wahoo McDaniel

Dusty Rhodes & Paul Jones d. Gene & Ole Anderson by countout

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – October 11, 1975

Tim Woods d. Spoiler #2

Danny Miller d. Charlie Fulton

Steve Strong d. Klondike Bill

Roberto Soto & Johnny Weaver d. Larry Sharpe & John Smith

Tiger Conway Jr. & Steve Keirn d. Mike DuBois & Bill Howard

NWA World Tag Titles: Gene & Ole Anderson © d. Dusty Rhodes & Paul Jones

NWA World Heavyweight Title: Jack Brisco © d. Dory Funk Jr. (subbing for Johnny Valentine)

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – November 9, 1975 (15,076)

US Heavyweight Title Tournament – Round 1: Rufus R. Jones d. Steve Strong

US Heavyweight Title Tournament – Round 1: Terry Funk d. Red Bastien

US Heavyweight Title Tournament – Round 1: Blackjack Mulligan d. Ken Patera

US Heavyweight Title Tournament – Round 1: Dusty Rhodes d. The Great Malenko

US Heavyweight Title Tournament – Round 1: Wahoo McDaniel d. Superstar Billy Graham

US Heavyweight Title Tournament – Round 1: Harley Race d. Tiger Conway Jr.

US Heavyweight Title Tournament – Round 1: Paul Jones d. Ole Anderson

US Heavyweight Title Tournament – Round 1: Johnny Weaver d. Gene Anderson

US Heavyweight Title Tournament – Quarterfinals: Terry Funk d. Rufus R. Jones

US Heavyweight Title Tournament – Quarterfinals: Dusty Rhodes d. Blackjack Mulligan

US Heavyweight Title Tournament – Quarterfinals: Harley Race d. Wahoo McDaniel

US Heavyweight Title Tournament – Quarterfinals: Paul Jones d. Johnny Weaver

US Heavyweight Title Tournament – Semifinals: Terry Funk d. Dusty Rhodes

US Heavyweight Title Tournament – Semifinals: Paul Jones d. Harley Race

US Heavyweight Title Tournament – Finals: Terry Funk d. Paul Jones

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – November 27, 1975 (12,102)

Klondike Bill d. Two Ton Harris

Bill White d. Pepe Lopez

Angelo Mosca d. The Avenger

Swede Hanson & Larry Zbyskzo d. The Spoilers

Tiger Conway Jr. & Steve Keirn d. The Great Malenko & Missouri Mauler

Blackjack Mulligan battled Tim Woods to a no contest

US Heavyweight Title: Paul Jones d. Terry Funk ©

NWA World Heavyweight Title: Wahoo McDaniel d. Jack Brisco © by countout

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – December 26, 1975 (8,146)

El Gaucho d. Don Serrano

Swede Hanson fought Bill White to a draw

Larry Zbyszko d. Bill Howard

Cowboy Lang d. Sonny Boy Hayes

El Rayo & Roberto Soto d. Mike DuBois & The Spoiler

Tim Woods d. Blackjack Mulligan

US Heavyweight Title: Paul Jones © d. Spoiler II

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – January 17, 1976 (8,229)

Ronnie Garvin d. Bill Howard

Charlie Fulton d. Klondike Bill

Steve Keirn d. Mike DuBois

El Rayo & Roberto Soto d. Jack Evans & Bill White

Tim Woods d. Steve Strong

Wahoo McDaniel d. Angelo Mosca

NWA World Tag Titles: Gene & Ole Anderson © d. Rufus R. Jones & Ken Patera

US Heavyweight Title: Paul Jones © d. Blackjack Mulligan

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – January 31, 1976 (11,187)

Tio Tio d. Gil Turner

Ronnie Garvin d. Larry Sharpe

El Rayo & Roberto Soto d. Doug Gilbert & Steve Strong

Haystacks Calhoun d. Mike DuBois

The Mongols d. Tiger Conway Jr. & Danny Miller

Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Title: Ric Flair © d. Wahoo McDaniel by countout

US Heavyweight Title: Paul Jones © d. Angelo Mosca

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – February 29, 1976 (7,783)

Klondike Bill vs. Jim Lancaster

Tony Atlas & Johnny Weaver fought Mike DuBois & Sgt. Jacques Goulet to a draw

El Rayo & Roberto Soto d. Angelo Mosca & Steve Strong

Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Title: Ric Flair © d. Dusty Rhodes

NWA World Heavyweight Title: Terry Funk © d. Paul Jones

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – March 13, 1976

Bill White d. Doug Somers

Jack Evans d. Tio Tio

Swede Hanson d. Doug Gilbert

Tony Atlas & Ronnie Garvin vs. Mike DuBois & Sgt. Jacques Goulet

NWA World Tag Titles: Gene & Ole Anderson © d. El Rayo & Roberto Soto

Lights Out Match: Dusty Rhodes d. Ric Flair

US Heavyweight Title: Blackjack Mulligan d. Paul Jones ©

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – March 28, 1976 (7,119)

Dr. Fujinami d. Two Ton Harris

Jack Evans d. Klondike Bill

Johnny Weaver d. Steve Strong

Tiger Conway Jr. & Ronnie Garvin d. The Mongols

Dusty Rhodes & Wahoo McDaniel d. Ric Flair & Angelo Mosca

US Heavyweight Title: Blackjack Mulligan © d. Paul Jones by DQ

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – April 11, 1976

Jim Lancaster d. Randy Culley

Mike DuBois d. Tio Tio

Tony Atlas fought Sgt. Jacques Goulet to a draw

Rufus R. Jones & Johnny Weaver d. Gene & Ole Anderson

Tim Woods d. Bolo Mongol

Wahoo McDaniel d. Angelo Mosca

Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Title: Ric Flair © d. Paul Jones by DQ

US Heavyweight Title: Dusty Rhodes d. Blackjack Mulligan © by DQ

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – May 1, 1976 (9,257)

Ronnie Garvin d. Dr. Fujinami

Pete Sanchez d. Jack Evans

Bill Dromo d. Steve Strong

Dino Bravo d. Doug Gilbert

Manuel & Roberto Soto d. Mike DuBois & Sgt. Jacques Goulet

Rufus R. Jones d. Ric Flair

US Heavyweight Title: Blackjack Mulligan © d. Andre the Giant

NWA World Heavyweight Title: Terry Funk © d. Paul Jones

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – May 30, 1976

Mr. Hayashi vs. Pete Sanchez

Haiti Kid & Little Love vs. Little Jimmy & Lord Littlebrook

Sgt. Jacques Goulet vs. Manuel Soto

Mike DuBois vs. Roberto Soto

Tiger Conway Jr. & Johnny Weaver vs. The Mongols

Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Title: Rufus R. Jones d. Ric Flair © by DQ

US Heavyweight Title: Blackjack Mulligan © d. Wahoo McDaniel by DQ

NWA World Heavyweight Title: Terry Funk © battled Dusty Rhodes to a DDQ

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – June 20, 1976

Klondike Bill d. Two Ton Harris

Burrhead Jones d. Bill Howard

Steve Bolus d. Doug Somers

Hans Schroeder d. Larry Zbyszko

Tony Atlas & Danny Miller d. Mike DuBois & Sgt. Jacques Goulet by DQ

Paul Jones d. Angelo Mosca

Lights Out Match: Dusty Rhodes & Wahoo McDaniel d. Blackjack Mulligan & Ric Flair in 23:00

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – July 4, 1976

Steve Bolus fought Angelo Poffo to a draw

Johnny Eagles d. Tatsumi Fujinami

Hans Schroeder d. Klondike Bill

Princess Littledove d. Marie Laveau

Johnny Weaver d. Crusher Blackwell

US Heavyweight Title: Blackjack Mulligan © d. Rufus R. Jones by DQ

Andre the Giant & Paul Jones d. Gene & Ole Anderson

NWA World Heavyweight Title: Terry Funk © d. Wahoo McDaniel by countout

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – July 24, 1976 (8,451)

Doug Somers d. Mr. Hayashi

Steve Bolus fought Hans Schroeder to a draw

Tiger Conway Jr. & Ronnie Garvin d. Lanny & Randy Poffo

The Fabulous Moolah d. Susan Green

Lumberjack Match: Wahoo McDaniel d. Ric Flair

NWA World Tag Titles: Gene & Ole Anderson © d. Dino Bravo & Tim Woods

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – August 15, 1976 (7,500)

Danny Miller vs. Bill White

Bolo Mongol vs. Klondike Bill

Red Bastien vs. Steve Bolus

Tony Atlas & Johnny Eagles vs. The Great Malenko & Hans Schroeder

Greg Valentine vs. Johnny Weaver

Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Title: Ric Flair © d. Red Bastien (subbing for Paul Jones)

Indian Strap Match: Wahoo McDaniel d. Ole Anderson

US Heavyweight Title: Blackjack Mulligan © d. Rufus R. Jones (subbing for Jack Brisco)

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – September 5, 1976

Klondike Bill vs. Joe Turner

Angelo Poffo vs. Vic Rossitani

Bolo Mongol vs. Danny Miller

Red Bastien vs. Mike DuBois

Crusher Blackwell & The Great Malenko vs. Dino Bravo & Tim Woods

Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Title: Ric Flair © d. Wahoo McDaniel in 7:00

NWA World Tag Titles: Gene & Ole Anderson © battled Dusty Rhodes & Rufus R. Jones to a DDQ in 12:30

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – September 26, 1976 (4,257)

Steve Bolus fought Bill White to a draw

Johnny Eagles d. Blue Scorpion

Ray Stevens d. Vic Rossitani

Dino Bravo & Tim Woods d. Mike DuBois & Sgt. Jacques Goulet

Greg Valentine d. Tony Atlas

Dusty Rhodes d. Ric Flair

Hair vs. Hair Loser Leaves Town Match for the Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Title: Wahoo McDaniel © d. Bolo Mongol

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – October 16, 1976 (8,223)

Red Bastien vs. Greg Valentine

Danny Miller vs. Hans Schroeder

Keith Franks vs. Two Ton Harris

Vic Rossitani vs. Bill White

Tiger Conway Jr. & Johnny Eagles vs. Lanny & Randy Poffo

Mid-Atlantic TV Title: Tim Woods d. Angelo Mosca ©

Hair vs. Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Title: Ric Flair d. Wahoo McDaniel ©

US Heavyweight Title: Paul Jones d. Blackjack Mulligan ©

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – October 31, 1976 (5,989)

Joey Rossi d. Two Ton Harris

Tiger Conway Jr. d. Bill White

Steve Bolus fought Dr. Fujinami to a draw

Burrhead Jones d. Angelo Poffo

Dino Bravo & Tim Woods d. Masked Superstar & Ray Stevens

US Heavyweight Title: Paul Jones © d. Blackjack Mulligan

NWA World Tag Titles: Gene & Ole Anderson © d. Ric Flair & Greg Valentine by DQ

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – November 25, 1976 (11,063)

Tiger Conway Jr. d. Mike DuBois

Crusher Blackwell d. Steve Bolus

Johnny Eagles d. Jack Evans

Superstar Billy Graham d. Vic Rossitani

Sgt. Jacques Goulet fought Frankie Laine to a draw

2 Ring Battle Royal won by Wahoo McDaniel after eliminating Blackjack Mulligan. Participants: Andre the Giant, Haystacks Calhoun, Wahoo McDaniel, Dusty Rhodes, Missouri Mauler, Ric Flair, Superstar Billy Graham, Ken Patera, Greg Valentine, Dino Bravo, Angelo Mosca, Jerry Blackwell, Keith Franks, Frankie Laine, Vic Rossitani, Jack Evans, Joey Rossi, George Two Ton Harris, Steve Bolus, Tiger Conway Jr, and and Tiger Conway Sr.

JCP @ Greensboro, NC – Coliseum – December 26, 1976 (9,387)

Herb Gallant d. Doug Somers

Johnny Eagles d. Randy Poffo

Blue Scorpion d. Klondike Bill

Joyce Grable d. Vivian St. John

Kim Duk d. Ken Patera

Dusty Rhodes & Mighty Igor d. Brute Bernard & Sgt. Jacques Goulet

US Heavyweight Title: Wahoo McDaniel d. Blackjack Mulligan © by DQ

No DQ Match for the NWA World Tag Titles: Ric Flair & Greg Valentine d. Gene & Ole Anderson ©