Pro Wrestling Only

Jerry Lawler

goodhelmet

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got the latest load of 70's Memphis discs and popped in Memphis Feud Part 1. The first stuff is some set up for Lawler vs Dundee, then the match. Now, this is when Dundee was a scrappy young babyface and Lawler was a hated heel. This is so fucking awesome. I love the entire Lawler/ Dundee saga, but I've only seen it from when Lawler was a good guy and Dundee had turned bad guy and eventually the first of the legendary Loser Leaves Town matches happened. I've maybe seen a clip or two of this stuff, so this is Holy Grail type shit, right here. Lawler's such a dick here and it's amazing. The first match is Dundee's hair vs Lawler's title, his car, and his manager, Mickey Poole's hair. I've never head of Poole. Was he his manager before Hart? Lawler doesn't mention him in his book. Anyway the match is fucking awesome. Lawler kicks the dogshit out of Dundee, beating him bloody with the chain deal. Billy keeps fighting back, as he has no quit, but Lawler keeps getting the one up on him. Lawler eventually has Dundee in the corner and is just killing him with most amazing looking punches I've ever seen. I mean, just fucking beautiful. I want to take these punches, crush them into a fine powder and snort them so I can feel the awesomeness of them. This leads to the NWA official stopping the match, cause Dundee is in no shape to continue. Dundee begs the official and the ref to let him keep fighting saying "It's MY HAIR! MY HAIR!" and the official "withdraws his intervention", so the match continues! Lawler's all, "What the fuck is this, bullshit? I won!", and then just rips into Dundee beating the fuck out of him some more. Dundee fights back some, and they end up doing the double whammy, both on the mat. Lawler's up first and tries an elbowsmah from the second rope, but misses as Dundee rolls out of the way. Dundee gathers his senses, dives on Lawler and gets the 1-2-3! Plowboy and some faces come out hold Poole as he gets his head shaved.

THIS FUCKING RULED. A MILLION STARS.

AND THEN!!!

Next bit is Lawler in the studio cutting a promo with Lance and Poole's there with a wig on. Lawler's going on about how Dundee had extra emphasis to win because his ugly hag of a wife told him he couldn't come home if he lost. Then outta nowhere, some broad attacks Lawler. Dundee drags her away and Lawler starts shouting, " IT'S HIS OLD LADY! LOOK AT THAT POOLE!" and they're both laughing in disbelief while Lance looks like, "Oh Christ, here we go." Lawler's going on about how Dundee's old lady has to fight for him, asks if the camera caught the ugly hag's face and now he's got an inspiration. He's got a Texas Death match against Dundee this Monday and he's gonna make Dundee quit. And his inspiration is that he's dedicating the match to Dundee's Old Lady, so she can see what kind of a loser the guy she's gonna wake up next to is.

This is so god damned great. Christ, I need a cigarette.

So next is the Lawler/ Dundee vs Latham/ Ferris Concession stall fight. So at this time, Lawler had turned babyface, This match rules, but everyone's seen it by now so I'll move on.

So Lawler and Dundee are friends, but Dundee wanted a match with Lawler, and the winner would face Bockwinkel for the AWA belt. Dundee comes out dressed like an full on Elvis Impersonator that got shrunk in the dryer to talk to Dave about the match and watch the video of it. Dundee admits that he got took in by Lawler and thought he was his friend.

At the end of the match it had become a fight. Both Lawler and Dundee had chains and there's a stand off. Lawler and Dundee decide to toss aside the chains and finish this honorably, but Lawler keeps his as Billy tosses his, Lawler knocks out Dundee and gets the win. Then he does the old "point to my own head" deal to show the crowd that he's smart. Dundee's pissed off back in the studio and Lawler's gonna pay.

Lawler does his interview, turns full heel again on Dave and the rednecks in the crowd, trash talks Dundee, goes on about how Bock is a great Champion...but it's Lawler's time. And when he wins the belt, "Ol' Moneybags" Jerry Jarrett is gonna have to cough up some money if he ever wants The World Champion back in Memphis again.

They come back to a studio interview where Lance tells us that Lawler/ Bock was a draw. But apparently, Lawler did get a three count on Bock, I guess right as time ran out. Lawler comes out for an interview and says to Lance, "It's great to see you're back."

"Well, Thanks, Jerr-"

"Yeah, especially after I saw your front."

:lol:

Then Lawler says that the ref of the match, Tommy Marlin, was crooked. And he then reveals that Tommy Marlin is Eddie Marlin's brother. And that Eddie Marlin is Jerry Jarrett's father in law. So it's a family conspiracy to keep the world belt off of Lawler. And the reason why, is that if Lawler was World Champ, he'd have to leave Memphis and then Jarrett's business would collapse because The King isn't there.

And people won't come out to see a sawed off runt like Bill Dundee. And Dundee is scared to put up the Southern Title. Dundee does a pre-taped promo from his home where he calls Lawler a jabroni and that Lawler has to earn a title shot. But they are gonna have a non title match this Monday. Back to Lawler and Lance and Lawler's pissed. He calls Dundee a leach who Lawler helped out of the gutter.

Next up is the actual introduction of Jimmy Hart.

Here's what the case of these DVD's should be.

Posted Image

The Promo for this match is on the 2nd Memphis Bulk we did, but it's a great little match from 30/1/1983, Terry Funk, Jerry Lawler and Koko Ware defeated Bobby Eaton, Carl Fergie and Sabu the Wildman in a Texas Death Match. Also on that disc is a great brawl with Lawler and Norvell Austin against Hickerson and Condry...

Continuing disc one. we have heel Lawler coming out on top with the belt. Hart doesn't really talk a lot here, as he's just started. It skips to the legendary Loser Leaves Town Match #1 where Lawler is a face and Dundee has turned heel and joined Hart. Everyone knows this match. It's fucking awesome. It's #2 on my best match ever list. I don't really need to go into it, as I'm sure everyone's seen it but watch it again. It's good for you.

They cover all the cool shit where Hart figures out a way to bring Dundee back, highlighted by a giant get together of all the heels in the First Family including young Jimmy Cornette in his sailor hat. There's a great Lawler/ Dundee match here that's not from Memphis or Louisville. It's a typical match between the two, which is high fucking praise. Then they get into Dundee's face turn, as he loses to Lawler in Memphis thanks to some mis-timed Hart interference with a chain. Hart's pissed and fires both Dundee and Plowboy Frazier from the family, because they lost their matches. He makes an exception for Ken Patera.

Disc one done. Man, I've never really seen much of Lawler as a heel from the Seventies and he's just fucking amazing.

Disc 2

Continues the Dundee face turn, and it's just fucking awesome stuff. All the lead up to Lawler finally agreeing to team up with Dundee against The Bruise Brothers is fucking fantastic.

We skip to the beginning of Dundee's heel turn, and it's all so great. Everything makes sense. Memphis gets this rep as being over the top, cartoony, and "phony"...but every fucking angle makes total sense and they always cover all the bases as to why shit is happening. And Lawler/ Dundee is just the most epic feud/ relationship of all time in pro wrestling.

Disc 2

Continues the Dundee face turn, and it's just fucking awesome stuff. All the lead up to Lawler finally agreeing to team up with Dundee against The Bruise Brothers is fucking fantastic.

We skip to the beginning of Dundee's heel turn, and it's all so great. Everything makes sense. Memphis gets this rep as being over the top, cartoony, and "phony"...but every fucking angle makes total sense and they always cover all the bases as to why shit is happening. And Lawler/ Dundee is just the most epic feud/ relationship of all time in pro wrestling.

Man, apparently I missed the boat on this one. Figured I'd sit it out as I had just plowed through the Memphis 80s set but am absolutely regretting it now.

Follow along with us on the podcast tomorrow or when you have a couple of hours of free time to catch up on AWA.

I really don't feel like I'm behind, I'm almost done with Disc 8 but I know how my wrestling attention span is. I can really only do 2 "projects" at a time or one of them will get forgotten and I'm already into the AWA set and a Memphis 85 set I got off XWT. I don't want the AWA set to go the way of my SMW or WCW 1997 watching.

The key to any 80's set is to be at least ahead or on the same level as one of the people running it. Pretty much guarentees you wont miss a deadline.

Had a slow work day and the IT department was asleep at the wheel so I was able to watch some random Lawler goodness on youtube. Mostly videos and interviews. Heard some really great stuff from his 1992 feud with the Moondogs.