Pro Wrestling Only

Jerry Lawler

goodhelmet

WanteD to cross post this from the yearbook thread...

Jerry Lawler & Bill Dundee vs. Gary Young & John Tatum

- Great stuff early on with Young selling both Dundee’s and Lawler’s super punches. The tease of racking Young and crotching him on the ring post early on is really well done. I fucking love the way Young escapes the crotching thanks to Tatum bailing him out only for Lawler to come around crotch him and level him to the floor right before the break. Fucking awesome!!! When we come back ,Dundee does a crotch stomp on Tatum and he sells it like death and they try to crotch him on the ring post! Tatum regroups and as he stands there, Dundee just levels Young with a punch while he is on the apron. Dundee dares Tatum to a test of strength and Tatum is just laughing at him. During the test of strength, Lawler comes in between the two and punches Tatum in the face and he sells it like death. Fuck yeah! With Young back in, he wants a test of strength, and in a sweet spot, both Young and Tatum get punched in the face by Lawler and Dundee after Tatum tries to pull a Lawler and get in the test but Lawler meets him there. At this point, things pick up in a big way with Lawler and Dundee working great as a team but eventually Dundee gets caught in the heel corner. Back from the break, Dundee plays FIP and the heels work him over. Dundee gets a hot tag and Lawler is the legal man but as he is brawling outside, Rod Price knocks Dundee out and Tatum gets a pin on Dundee who is not the legal man. The finish was dogshit but the match was fucking great while it lasted. The comedic elements were funny but the psychology was sound early on. These guys probably had a MOTYC in them if this was the Mid South Coliseum. I need to show this to Phil. He would love this as much as I did.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We jump back in, as Dundee is turning heel again, because he's feeling that some things never change, and Lawler always gets whatever he wants.

It's "The Jerry Lawler Show" with his guests Eddie Marlin and Bill Dundee. Bill and Jerry both calmly explain themselves. Bill says there's just not enough room in the pond for both of them, while Lawler is saying he has no problem with Bill, he just doesn't want to team with him. This is the Nixon/ Frost stuff of hillbillies.

And then it's a spot with Lance moderating a discussion between the two in front of a live studio crowd and ...it's gonna be a little different. And it's AWESOME. Lance opens by getting Lawler to talk about how he couldn't beat Flair in the match they just had. Lawler gives a great "I lost, but it was close. I let the fans down, but I'm still the Southern Champ and number one contender here, so I'll get another chance." Dundee steps in and tells HIS "sad story", since everyone's got one, about being called too small to ever be a wrestler, but here he is. And he tells Lawler that he was great in the match.......but he couldn't beat Flair in the end. And now he's gonna take that belt so HE can get a chance at the World Title.

This all rules. Both guys are actually right and at the end of it Lawler, Dundee, The Southern Belt, and Flair are all put over huge.

It goes now to where Lawler and Dundee had a match, I guess ended up having to fight off some heels, and now have put it all aside and are gonna be a team again. Lawler and Dundee cut the famous promo where Billy is so excited he calls out every team as being lesser than him and Jerry, cause THEY could conceivably beat the Road Warriors, and guys like the Fabulous Ones can't. The Fabs come out, take exception, as they never beat the Fabs. Billy takes that as a challenge to him and Lawler, and Lawler is basically trying to explain to Bill that they don't have to fight the Fabs and he doesn't want to because he DOESN'T LIKE MATCHES WHERE THE FANS HAVE TO CHOOSE WHO TO CHEER FOR. That is so great. A simple storyline explanation as to why guys didn't want to do face vs face matches. Billy is like an out of his mind cokehead here. He's flipping out, calling Jerry a coward, calling the Fabs punks, and the whole time everyone's just going "What the fuck is wrong with Dundee?" Bill's mad cause he's the only guy of the four with no belt, really. And Lawler eventually says, "Fuck it. We're not partners anymore." And Dundee goes crazy like a meth head on the loose. He challenges Lawler saying he'll put up his car against the Belt. Dundee is a GOD here as Lawler doesn't want his car, so Billy offers his hair! Lawler can't resist.

The Promo for this match is on the 2nd Memphis Bulk we did, but it's a great little match from 30/1/1983, Terry Funk, Jerry Lawler and Koko Ware defeated Bobby Eaton, Carl Fergie and Sabu the Wildman in a Texas Death Match. Also on that disc is a great brawl with Lawler and Norvell Austin against Hickerson and Condry...

Was that six-man on the disc along with the promo, or was it on one of the discs from the first Memphis bulk? Or was it on a different disc completely? Because I got the discs from the Memphis bulks yesterday and that tag just sounds out-of-this-world fun.

• 2 weeks later...

The Promo for this match is on the 2nd Memphis Bulk we did, but it's a great little match from 30/1/1983, Terry Funk, Jerry Lawler and Koko Ware defeated Bobby Eaton, Carl Fergie and Sabu the Wildman in a Texas Death Match. Also on that disc is a great brawl with Lawler and Norvell Austin against Hickerson and Condry...

Was that six-man on the disc along with the promo, or was it on one of the discs from the first Memphis bulk? Or was it on a different disc completely? Because I got the discs from the Memphis bulks yesterday and that tag just sounds out-of-this-world fun.

I got it from a disc i got in a trade with Khawk, it's listed as "Rare and Unlisted Memphis and ICW from PM Film", its only the first two falls, but its still a great little match..

• 8 months later...

Been watching a shitload of Lawler for the upcoming Lawler set (part 1 drops in 7-10 days) and here are some thoughts on some matches I have watched for Part 2.

Phil Schneider reviewed the following at http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/

Jerry Lawler vs. Kamala 1/18/03- I made the comment to Phil is could have taken place 20 years earlier in the Mid South coliseum and he responded that it DID take place 20 years earlier. The difference is that the clips I have seen of earlier matchus had Kamala mauling Lawler in squash mode. This was much more even Steven with a little extended Kamala control segment in the middle where Lawler bumps huge for Kamala. Nice epic top rope fist drop finish and I really liked this. Phil thought it was epic. I thought it was great. Still well worth watching.

Jerry Lawler vs. Coach and Joey Mercury (NEW 2007)- I watched this with KrisZ and it felt like a mess. Mercury is a decent heel here but this is right after he was fired from WWE and it sort of shows he was a mess. Lawler bumps well enough but Mercury's offense was uninspiring. I may have to watch this match again but I hope to never see Lawler give Coach another Stunner as long as I live.

Joey Lawler vs. Joey Mercury (NEW 2007)- I was not looking forward to this match after the Coach match but it's about 8 months later and Mercury cut off his braids. This is like Mercury's tribute to Memphis heels and I mean that in the best way possible. Jawing with the fans, using his necklace as a foreign object and playing "hide the chain" with said necklace. Early on, he drops Lawler with three body slams and acts as if he was Hogan slamming Andre. Later on, when Lawler slammed Joey three times, it felt like the heel got what he deserved. Lawler reminds us that he is the greatest puncher of all time and I loved Joey hitting his top rope fist for the receipt but missing the 2nd. They did the same spot in the Coach match but it didn't feel important. Hee it turned the tide of the match. Great little stretch run with Lawler hitting a backdrop, Joey returning the backdrop, goes for another, puts his head down, Lawler hooks him... Piledriver. End of story. Both Kris and I loved this match so go out of your way to see it.

Yeah Phil and I are gonna be watching a lot of Lawler over the next week +. Will's got his gigantic set coming out soon, and the man himself is turning 64 in a week! Today we're gonna put up our reviews of a Lawler/Hennig towards the end of Hennig's life, and some Helms/Lawler match from a WWE PPV that gets 10 minutes and I have zero memory of ever happening.

The Lawler/Helms match is really good but there is no heat at all. I think the RnR vs heavenly Bodies from Survivor Series 93 had more heat

Yeah it was pretty quiet. Any idea how it was built up? It seems like an odd match to just throw out on PPV with no build, and give 10 minutes (which would make it the 3rd or 4th longest match on the card).

I don't remember the details off-hand, but it was when Helms had just gone from being The Hurricane to Gregory Helms. He either called out the announcers for being mean to him on commentary, or had an interview with Lawler that went south, and so they ended up feuding and making the match.

It had build, it's just that nobody gave the slightest shit about it. Helms was dead in the water as not Hurricane.

EDIT: From Wiki:

On the January 2, 2006 episode of Raw Helms confronted Jerry Lawler over jokes that Lawler had been making at Helms' expense, and Lawler said that when Helms was The Hurricane, he was entertaining and called Helms a joke. Helms responded by slapping Lawler, who hit Helms back.[43] This confrontation led to Lawler defeating Helms in a match at New Year's Revolution

SO I rewatched Jerry Lawler vs. Roddy Piper from KOTR 1994. This match gets a bum rap. Lawler bumps huge (including a nasty bump outside off an atomic drop) and they have a really nifty brawl going until Roddy decides to "save" his impersonator. That turns the tide and Lawler works Piper over with some chokes and a sleeper. Perfectly fine stuff but nothing embarrassing. The crowd is hot for Piper and hate Lawler. After Jerry takes too long to pin Piper after the piledriver, they get a near fall and eventually have a punching contest leading to a couple of Piper bulldogs. Piper goes for another but gets thrown into the ref leading to the Lawler mysterious object. A groggy ref counts with Lawler's legs on the ropes but the impersonator pushes the legs off the ropes. Piper recovers and hits an ugly back suplex for the pin. Man, that finish was butt ugly. The impersonator saving shit was dumb but the rest of the match was perfectly fine. I want Phil to watch this. I can see how a tape trader in 1994 watching this would roll their eyes but it isn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. In fact, most of it was pretty damn fun.

I watched it a couple years ago, too. I was pretty sure I wrote about it somewhere as well, and it turns out I did.

Piper's promo earlier in the show was spectacular. He just goes off on one and makes no sense at all. It was seriously fucking great. Lawler comes out to the ring staring at people with complete disdain. There's this one lady with a sign that says "Piper for President" and Lawler notices it, bursts out laughing, then shoots her a look of pure disgust. If this match happened ten years earlier it probably would've been tremendous. By '94 that ship had sailed, but it's not because either guy sucks (shit, Lawler is STILL awesome in 2011, never mind 1994). Lawler is my personal pick for greatest puncher in pro-wrestling history, and it's unsurprising that he throws a bunch of GREAT looking punches. Piper's punches aren't nearly as good, but what he has is a GREAT eye poke. He casually pokes Lawler in the eye after a flurry of punches and I honestly rewound it about 4 times. Best moment of the match (which is as good as any moment on the entire show) is Lawler peppering Piper with first class punches while Piper is propped up against the ropes. Piper is belligerent to the end, telling him to bring it, spitting on him, using the ropes to drag himself back to his feet. When he throws a big haymaker, Lawler goes down like a ton of bricks and the arena pops like it should. Not a great match, but it's something a fan of either guy can enjoy.

So yeah, I'm a fan of both guys and I thought it was fun.

Jerry Lawler vs. Jackie Fargo, CWA 7/2/74 - GREAT

PAS: This is a Southern Championship match with the ring surrounded by a mesh barbed wire fence with the ringposts wrapped in barbed wire. I am pretty sure we get the vast majority of this and it is a true treat. Lawler is full on heel champ with Sam Bass at ringside passing in a foreign object and choking Fargo against the wire when the ref was distracted. This was a match of pretty much nothing but punches, wire shots and chokes, but man these are a pair of guys who can work a chokes, wire shots and punches match. Fargo may be the only wrestler in the world who can out perform Lawler in a punch off, and he was awesome here, the finish run is pretty much a wild exciting boxing match with both guys using combos, feints and head movement, just electric stuff. I didn't love the end as it felt like we were building to a classic crescendo and we didn't really get it, but man I am happy this surfaced.

ER: Is there any other wrestler other than Lawler who can boast really great matches 38 years apart? I guess probably Funk, but we don't really have a fair amount of mid 1960s Funk to judge. This is a barbed wire match worked in a way I prefer these type of matches worked: No time wasted on "I'm struggling to push your face into the wire while you're struggling to avoid having your face pushed into the wire". This is just two guys fighting and punching each other hard while leaving the barbed wire to the seconds or to gravity. Lawler punches Fargo and he falls into the wire ropes? Awesome. Gives more of a focus to actual face punching with the wire as more of a stimulus to get back out there and fight. Lawler looks like such a rough ass here, with his shaggy hair, sideburns and mustache. He looks like a guy who kicked the shit out of the drummer from Molly Hatchet at a backyard barbeque. People in attendance still talk about that BBQ! Lawler's punches are so perfect here that it made me wonder if there was ever any stage where he had weaker strikes and had to refine them. I wish I knew what they looked like on his first day of training. A great thing about Lawler is how he sells a punch the way he'd expect a punch to be sold for him. His falls for some of Jackie's blows were tremendous. At one point toward the end when he's just hammering Fargo with jabs, Jackie swings wild and connects, and Lawler goes down like Nate Quarry. I didn't actually see Jackie's punch coming at that point, and the way Lawler sold it made it look so great and genuine. *I* didn't see it coming, but Lawler was flawless in conveying that *he* didn't see it coming either. This match was such a treat.

I really want to emphasize the right hand that connected with Lawler's face that Eric mentioned above. Holy shit was that one of the greatest facial expressions ever.

Also, I would argue with Phil that for 1974, that was a perfectly acceptable finish. I didn't love it either but it does not detract from the match.

Just watched the Barbed Wire match and what a treat. These are 2 dudes just punching each other in the fucking face .... Really fucking hard . It had elements of a tough man contest. Loved the foreign object passing. Fargo's face and crazy eyes were great here. What a hate filled brawl. What makes it great is how simple it is. Violence in wrestling is good.