Pro Wrestling Only

Jerry Lawler

goodhelmet

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For starters I enjoyed the Rude feud and wish we had a complete match.

Well we get a Lawler promo where he says that Rude is no Kamala or Bundy and he's beaten both of them. On top of it Rude is stupid. This would be an example of Lawler burying his opponents.

Then he has a match with Bundy that is great. Maybe Bundy's best ever. Lawler does some stalling here which is a critique some make of him. Here it works so well in the story. Just a gem of a match.

Another good match he has is with Kamala. It might be Kamala's best match ever. They do a great job brawling on the floor. Actually the match plays to both their strengths. I've seen Kamala have some good ones with Hogan, David and Kerry V.E, Terry Taylor, and Duggan to name a few. I think this might be his best yet.

Disc 19

Rick Rude vs. Keith Eric (9/8/84)

This turns into Rude vs. Lawler. This turns into a fun studio match. Of course it's a non finish. I loved Rude's pile driver. This lead to Rude working over Lawler's neck. I'm pretty convinced by now that the piledriver in the 80's is a move like a body slam. Lawler was great punching and Rude bumping big for him. They seem to really compliment each other in the ring.

Jerry Lawler & Randy Savage vs. King Kong Bundy & Rick Rude

What a great match.They milk the lock up and the crowd is nuclear. Rude bumping around early. Bundy's in to turn the tide. We get a real good miscommunication spot that pops the crowd. We get a real fun shine sequence. Savage was great on the apron. He would then pick his spots and come in and nail the heels. Their is a great pose off between Rude and Savage. Lawer's FIP work is so well done here. It has amazing action. The match loses steam for about a minute or 2, but they bring it back. Savage hits the ref for a DQ. The postmatch brawl is great as well. 4 1/4*.

Jerry Lawler & Randy Savage vs. King Kong Bundy & Rick Rude (No DQ)

Another killer bout. This was an awesome Memphis brawl. It was full of plunder. All 4 were in at the same time. They used the table, chairs, rope holders etc. Just fantastic shit. We get a fuck finish to continue the feud. 4 1/4*

Jerry Lawler vs. Eddie Gilbert

From PWUSA this match was for Lawler to look good. He does.

We get a killer studio brawl between Lawler/Savage and Hart/Rude/Bundy. This was fucking insane. The set is getting destroyed. The wall almost falls over onto the cameras. This is must see and put gasoline on this feud.

We also get the Wimpbusters video. Lawler's wife is smokin. It's good to be King

Jerry Lawler vs. Eddie Gilbert

Another good studio bout that teases us for the future.

We get a few squashes and a workrate 6 man tag.

Jerry Lawler vs. Nightmare #1

Another fun studio bout. Nightmare takes a Harley Race bump over the ring post into a header onto the apron. It's insane.

Jerry Lawler vs. Bob Roop

Man I really liked this match. Roop as the former amateur stud and he looks down at Lawler and his wrestling skills. So we have the striker vs. the wrestler. Lawler openswith some punches that Roop blocks with his elbows. Roop toys with him a bit and Lawler starts getting in Roops head. It turns into a real game of chess that has big payoffs. A real good studio match. 3*

Disc 20

The matches here are all ok. Nothing amazing though. Though we get some killer angles and promos.

Eddie Gilbert does This is your Life. This was tremendous.

Their is a great comedy segment with Playboy Frazier.

They show highlights of Lawler vs. Gilbert that resulted in Jimmy Hart leaving Memphis.

Savage/Poffo/Iron Mike Sharpe/Gilbert attack Lawler and go after his eye. They show him all bandaged up. He cuts an incredible promo.

Their is an injury angle to Lawler's neck. This was amazing. So we're getting an amazing build in the Lawler/Savage feud. This feud is on fire. Who plays crazy,out of control better. Funk or Savage?

Jimmy Hart blaming the piledriver for the cause of the Cancer is in bad taste.

No way, man. You KNOW Andy would have loved it.

He would have loved it. Still who ever said Kaufman had good taste.

Andy never really did anything "tasteless." Granted, I don't think anything is tasteless as long as it's funny.

COMING SOON to the Titans Of Wrestling Podcast: "BAD TASTE. The Great Debate".

Disc 21

Jerry Lawler vs. Bruiser Brody (5/20/85)

This was a good match. Lawler gets one of Brody's best singles matches out of him. We start with a good give and take brawl. Lawler punches Brody right in the back of the neck. Eventually Lawler takes a beating from Brody. They take it outside where Brody slams him to the time keepers table a couple of times. Brody posts him. He punches him, and kicks him. Lawler is bleeding and Brody works the cut. Back in the strap comes out and Lawler makes the comeback. Their is a DQ and a fun post angle where Lawler eats a spiked pile driver. I'd say 3 1/2*.

Jerry Lawler vs. Randy Savage (Loser Leaves Town) (6/3/85)

Another strong match. Savage is on the bike. He's really milking the 1st tie up. All the early stalling leads to a payoff. Lawler takes a bump into the timekeepers table. As a result his eye is busted and bleeding. Savage is really targeting the cut with straight lefts. Lawler's eye is a total mess. The ref tries to stop the match. Lawler gets another opinion and it's on. We build to the finish and Savage is off to become a millionaire. I wish we would have gotten a little bit more of the match. Still the drama, and the story of the match is compelling. 4 1/4*

Jerry Lawler Interview (6/8/85)

This was great. Lance had to cut Brody's promo for him.

Jerry Lawler vs. Koko Ware

This was a fun studio match. This would also be a template for the Lawler touring indy match. Koko using the hide the object on Lawler to great effect. The crowd was eating this stuff up. 3*

Jerry Lawler & Austin Idol vs. Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy (8/5/85)

Brawl to start. It settles down into a more traditional tag though it had fighting throughout. Idol starts j hooking the heels when he brings a cane in. On the floor Gordy gives Lawler a suplex. Lawler's selling was great. 3 1/2*.

Jerry Lawler Interview + Freebirds & Austin Idol Promos (8/10/85)

These are to set up the Badstreet Match. Idol is really great here.

Jerry Lawler, Jerry Jarrett, Tojo Yamamoto & Koko B Ware vs. The Spoiler, Billy Travis ,Ron Sexton & Phil Hickerson (8/10/85)

Just a fun workrate studio match. Billy Travis was amazing here in his bumping and stooging. Koko did this weird reverse dropkick that made me pop huge. Jarrett was pretty good in his FIP role. Tojo's schtick was really good. Just fun fun stuff. 3*

Jerry Lawler & Austin Idol vs. Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy (Badstreet Match) (8/12/85)

This was a fun brawl. Lawler is dressed wrong though. Man the crowd was eating this shit up. 3 3/4*

Man fun disc here.

Disc 22 is full of great promos from Lawler, Hayes, and Dundee. We get some fun angles like Hickerson wanting to be Lawler's partner. To Renesto turning heal in a way that was awesome and perfectly Memphis.

Jerry Lawler & Bill Dundee vs. Tom Pritchard & Pat Rose

This is a studio bout that gets 15 minutes. The faces win both. The structure because of the 2 fall thing is kinda off. The work was done real well and Dundee was the star of the match. 2 3/4*

Jerry Lawler vs. Randy Savage (Loser Leaves Town) (6/3/85)

Another strong match. Savage is on the bike. He's really milking the 1st tie up. All the early stalling leads to a payoff. Lawler takes a bump into the timekeepers table. As a result his eye is busted and bleeding. Savage is really targeting the cut with straight lefts. Lawler's eye is a total mess. The ref tries to stop the match. Lawler gets another opinion and it's on. We build to the finish and Savage is off to become a millionaire. I wish we would have gotten a little bit more of the match. Still the drama, and the story of the match is compelling. 4 1/4*

I didn't like the restart. If I was Savage, I wouldn't have agreed to it. The ref declared him the winner in a loser leaves town match, he should have left Lawler high and dry. Nonetheless, I thought the restart could have done with a wee bit more drama instead of Lawler going straight into his Hulking Up routine. It was still a cool match but with over half of it missing it's kind of hard to rate.

Nobody mentioned half the match was missing when we put it on the Memphis project. Everyone just said how great it was when viewing it.

I mean it's an epic match. We get a drama filled start. Then we get a great drama filled ending. The middle isn't there so as a match as a whole it's hard to rate. I think with the Memphis set their wasn't the deep handhelds like Mid-South or arena shows being recorded for television in WCCW so people were more forgiving with the clipping and understood that.

Disc 23

Jerry Lawler vs. Rick Martel (10/12/85)

I liked this match. Both guys have a have a rep for having good matches. They have a good one here. You see the King going for roll ups right off the bat. This is a World Title match so Lawler is trying to catch Martel snoozing. Eventually Martel gets the advantage and Martel is focused. All of is energy is targeting Lawler's leg. Lawler is great selling underneath. They build to Lawler's comeback and eventually the finish. I'd go 4*

Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee (10/19/85)

This was really well done. The whole presentation is awesome. They cut great promos and Dundee is on fire. Pretty much Dundee puts up his hair, and his car for a shot. This is pretty much a great punch focused brawl. Dundee wins with a chain shot. 3 1/2*

Jerry Lawler Drunk! / The Hawaiian Flash + Bill Dundee (11/2/85)

This is a great angle. It was well executed.

Jerry Lawler vs. Tom Branch (Hair vs. Hair) (11/11/85)

This did nothing for me.Lawler piledrives Branch to start. Renesto is loading up some powder and no sells Lawler's punches. It really shows how great Lawler is at throwing a punch. After the powder Lawler sells for a bit. Pulls the the strap Lawler victory. 1 1/2*

Jerry Lawler, Dusty Rhodes & Magnum T.A. vs. Ole Anderson, Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard (11/18/85)

This was a real fun brawl. Though Ole did everything he could to drag it down. He kept front face locking Lawler . Still the rest was good enough. 3*

Plus we get good promos, and angles throughout.

D24

Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee

This is for Paula Lawler's hair. We get a Thesz press from Dundee to start. Dundee is going after Lawler's neck. Their is a great spot where Dundee punches Lawler and he takes a huge bump over the ropes to the floor. Dundee takes it to Lawler on the floor. Dundee does 2 nasty running punches to Lawler on the floor. Dundee uses the ring standard throughout the match as a weapon. Another nasty spot was Dundee's running stomp to Lawler and he follows up with a stomp to Lawler's fingers. Man Dundee is a little shit. Dundee does a running kick and smashes his leg into the ring post. Lawler nails his pile driver. Dundee is back on the neck using a cravat on the ropes. Dundee chokes him with a rope. Dundee kicks Lawler off the apron and he takes a header onto the ringside table.Lawler crotches Dundee. Lawler pulls the strap and his fists are a blazin. Dundee throws a punch with a chain, ref blocks it and Lawler delivers a KO punch for the win.3 3/4*

Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee (No DQ, Loser Leaves Town)

Plus the Dundee's hair are are on the line. This is truly an epic match. It's an intense match and when you believe it's peaked . It takes it to another level. Lawler's right eye is taped up from an angle with Dutch. So they tell this compelling story with Dundee using Lawler's blind spot against him . Man was this great. Dundee does all this stuff to destroy Lawler's vision. He even bites it. Lawler is bleeding big time. We get some great brawling. Lawler takes this huge bump from the bleachers. These guys want to win so bad they are even playing up the countouts as important. Dundee is yelling at Lawler to stay down. Dundee throws something in Lawler's eye for the win. 5*

Jerry Lawler & Dutch Mantel vs. Bill Dundee & Buddy Landell (3/10/86)

This is another hell of a match. We get some brawling to start. It settles down and we get a face shine with Landell bumping and stooging his ass off. Lawler is FIP for a bit. Eventually it breaks down and we have a kick ass brawl that goes all over the place with plenty of plunder used. The heels are bleeding. They've had enough and walked out.4 1/4*

The rest of the disc is highlighted by Lawler and Dundee promos and angles. We get a great piece of business that brings Lawler back. all in all great stuff.