Pro Wrestling Only

Jerry Lawler

goodhelmet

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disc 25

This disc is chalked full of the Lawler/Mantell vs. Dundee/Landell feud. This was a pretty damn great feud with good in ring action, good angles, and some great talking. The clips of the TXDM between the teams was awesome.

The big studio brawl after the Bill and Buddy show where they took over the show was amazing.

Another fun segment was with JD Costello. This was weaved with truths and angles. Plus the payoff was out of the JJ Dilion playbook.

We get to the break up between Dundee and Landell. This could be a fun feud.

We also get promos and the build to Lawler vs Dundde LLT.

Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee LLT

Another epic match in their feud. The start of this is amazing wher these guys are drilling each other with punches. Rolling around on the mat. Dundee would be going after Lawler's eye, ball shot, and stomps Lawler's fingers. Just total douche moves. Dundee pounds on Lawler and he's bumping well for Dundee and selling his ass off. Eventually Dundee gets desperate and starts working the arm, and tries some roll ups. The strap comes down and it's building to an epic finsih. It really gives the feud a finallity to it. This match was great. I'll call it 4 1/2 *

Disc 26

This is full of some fun studio bouts. I gotta find out who talked to Memphis Vice about spending the money on the gear. Lawler's promos were great. He did a great one that put Bigelow over as a threat.

Jerry Lawler vs. Bam Bam Bigelow Texas Death match 9/7/86

This is pretty awesome, and might be Bigelow's greatest match. The fists are flying early. Bigelow smashes his hand in the ring post. In a great spot Lawler does a test of strength against Bigelow's good hand which gives Lawler a free shot at Bigelow. It was so genius. Lawler does a great job at getting over Bigelow as a monster. W/o the use of his Right hand Bam Bam does head butts to work over Lawler's ribs. Later Bigelow's hand recovers enough to punch Lawler in the ribs. This was really executed well. Later in the match the sleepers were well executed. I loved Bigelow's selling of his. He sold it like an MMA choke hold. Not a fan of the judo throw pin though. We build to an epic Lawler comeback. That's topped off by an even more epic finish, It's almost Rocky 2. The finish keeps both guys strong. 4 1/4*

Disc 27

This is the start of the great Lawler vs Idol/Rich feud that won feud of the year in the Observer from 87.

Jerry Lawler vs Tommy Rich.

We get about 17 minutes of a 30 minute match here. It's a great Memphis db.l juice brawl. Both guys throwing great punches. They throw big moves at one another. We see some great small packages trying to get sneaky wins. The key to the match was how hate filled it was. These guys fought like their was a grudge between them. 4 1/4*

We get an injury anglw where both Idol and Rich post Lawler's balls against the ring post.

Lawler vs. Boy Tony

This shows Lawler's versatility as a worker. He's able to grab a mid carder and go out and have a fun match.

Lawler/Bigelow vs Rich/Idol

This is a double jeopardy match. This means 2 matches in 2 seperate rings. Your able to double team for specific amount of times. The rules weren't super clear, but the match was fun. Rich took a serious ass kicking in this. 3 1/2*

Lawler/Bigelow vs Rich/Idol

This is a Texas Death match. This was just an amazing brawl. All 4 guys took it into the audience. They're using all forms of plunder. They are ramming each other into walls. Knock each other into the white fence. Lawler throwing great punches. In a great pay back to the Lawler angle Bigelow and Lawler do it to Rich for the only fall and win. Rich is selling this huge. What a fucking brawl. 4 1/2*

Lawler vs. Idol

A 10 second chain match. If this happened on Raw I'm sure the crowd would shit all over it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just watched the clip of Robert Fuller and Lawler brawling in the bleachers and Lawler taking that crazy bump from nearly the top of the bleachers all the way down. I can't believe he can still wrestle, much less walk after some of the crazy bumps he took, those wooden bleachers looked hard as hell.

Jerry Lawler vs. Austin Idol (Hair vs. Hair Cage Match) (4/27/87)

This is a pretty famous match. This was part of the feud of the year for 87 and one of my all time favorite feuds and angle. The cage in this is like a Hell in the Cell minus the ceiling. We start with Idol on his bike trying to get away from The King. Lawler would pursue on the floor and punches him and uses the cage and the ring post as weapons. This is a brawl with the tide turning a few times. Obviously we get the prerequisite blood from all involved. We get a ref bump while Lawler begins his comeback. All of the sudden Tommy Rich comes from underneath the ring and destroy Lawler. The ref counts 3 and the winner is Austin Idol. They destroy Lawler afterwards. They redo the posting angle from earlier in the angle. They give the King the cheapest shave . Just an epic experience. Just where you thought this was going to be the blow off they give you the curve. 4 1/2*

This lead to Bill Dundee coming back to the territory and a scaffold match where Lawler on purpose breaks Paul E Dangerously's jaw.

As hot as the angle was, I think it would have been even hotter had they ACTUALLY shaved Lawler's head. That was the shittiest haircut I've ever seen for a hair vs hair match. At least when people were complaining about it after the Jeff Jarrett/X-Pac match, even though they didn't shave Jeff bald he lost a LOT of hair. Lawler pretty much just got a slightly shorter than normal hair cut.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to look at Lawler from 1988.

Jerry Lawler vs. Curt Hennig (2/19/88)

This is for the AWA World Title. This was a fun match. Early on we see Hennig on his bike to frustrate Lawler. They would build to spots where Hennig would bail before their was a payoff. This was well worked and really hooked the crowd. Both guys threw great punches in this. Both guys took some big bumps. Lawler did a great job milking his big bump to maximimum effect. This lead to a double DQ with both guys battling on the floor I believe. I'd say this was around 3 1/4* match.

Jerry Lawler + Eddie Gilbert Brawl (3/26/88)

This was an amazing studio brawl. They took it to the outside. At one point Gilbert slams Lawler on the windshield of a car. Fuck you believe these guys hate one another.

Jerry Lawler vs. Eddie Gilbert (no DQ) (3/28/88)

Man this is so disapointing after that killer angle 2 days earlier. I don't think these guys have ever had that killer match with each other on tape. We see some stalling early by Gilbert. He seems to be working like Larry Z. We get a bit of action, but overall I feel the match misses the mark. I'd say maybe 2 1/4*

Curt Hennig Promo + Jerry Lawler Interview (4/30/88)

Jerry Lawler vs. Curt Hennig Build (5/9/88)

This was pretty great. They are going all in on drawing a house. It's amazing to see the Govenor of Memphis in a wrestling build.

Some more King from 1988.

Jerry Lawler vs. Curt Hennig (5/9/88)

This had a big match feel to it. Almost larger than life, a real epic feel to it. If you've seen the retirement of Sam Munchnick show headlined by Dusty and Flair it had that type of feel to it.

This was Hennig's world title versus Lawler's career. It started out a bit slow with some smoke and mirrors. Jackie Fargo is the ref and he kinda trying to hard to get the special referee stip over. Then we get some shenanigans with the manager and Fargo gives him the boot. So the 1st 8 to 10 minutes is kinda table setting. It starts to really start cooking around the 10 minute mark. Hennig has a waistlock on Lawler. They do a really good job of milking it. It was chess like in Lawler trying to escape it and Hennig block the maneuver. Eventually Lawler escapes with a judo like throw. A big moment that set the story of the match was when Lawler missed a flying leg drop from the top rope. This allowed Hennig to work on his back with knee drops to the back, Boston crab, and a modified camel clutch. Eventually, they go outside and Hennig posts Lawler. Lawler is now bleeding. Hennig does a great job working the cut. Lawler really gains a lot of sympathy here. When the King makes his comeback it's huge. Just amazing punches. Hennig bumping big for the comeback They work to the finish and Lawler is the new AWA World Champion. Pretty strong match. It has some flaws in my eyes, but still damn good. I'd say 3 3/4*

Jerry Lawler vs. Dutch Mantell (5/29/88)

This isn't at the level of their 82 feud, but still good. The story of the match is Dutch playing mind games with Lawler. It starts even before the bell where Dutch demands the ref check Lawler for foreign objects. Then the bell rings and Dutch wants the ref to check Lawler again. You see a leg dive by Lawler that misses. Dutch to continue the mind games taunts Lawler by pointing at his foot that Lawler missed. Dutch slaps Lawler a few times which pisses Lawler off and clearly Dutch is in his head. In a great spot that was set up so nicely to maximize the payoff was each time Mantell slapped Lawlerhe would attempt to knock Dutch's head off and the reg would grab his right arm to stop the punch. On the last time the ref grabbed Lawer's right, then Lawler snuck a jab on Dutch with his left. Later on Dutch nails Lawler with a nasty short arm clothesline. Eventually Dutch hit a few more of those. Lawler tries one of his own and misses and Dutch nails a regular clothesline in a great spot. We get some brawling in the crowd. Lawler with a chain ko's Dutch for the win. 2 3/4*

Jerry Lawler v. Soldad Ustinov (6/12/88)

This was a total carry job by Lawler. Ustinov really has nothing, but Lawler does better than most in getting a match out of him. The highlights were at the finish. Kahn interferes and takes a huge bump off a Lawler punch. Lawer also took a big bump to the outside. Overall the match was worked smartly. 2*

Jerry Lawler + Kerry Von Erich (TX 6/17/88)

This was a nice 1st step in a feud.

• 3 weeks later...

I look at some more Lawler as AWA champ in 89.

Jerry Lawler vs. Curt Hennig (7/16/88)

This was just great. They both worked hard and bumped big for each other. Hennig's bumps off of Lawler's punches were superb. The finish was shitty. If more people were watching AWA and this had a better finish it would be more of a pimped match. Lawler really feels like a World Champ here. 4 1/4*

Jerry Lawler v. Tommy Rich (GA 10/2/88)

This was another real strong match. Rich's manager looks like a meth head. This was a real strong punch exchange match. Both guys throwing great punches.Another shit finish. These guys have great chemistry with one another in the ring and here is no exception. 4*

Jerry Lawler vs. Kerry Von Erich (Cage Match) (TX 11/25/88)

I watched 4 of their matches and all of them were at least good and smartly worked. This one is in a cage. The crowd is super hot. The early portions we see a big punch exchange. Lawler using his usual straight rights. Kerry relying on his Discuss punch.Eventually Lawler busts out his chain and busts Kerry up. He also plays hide the chain from the ref while manipulating the crowd. This was excellent. Especially the payback of Kerry kicking Lawler in the stomach and the chain coming out and allowing Kerry to use it on Lawler. Lawler used his mouth to hide the chain a few times so that was great. They build to a fun finish.My complaint here is that Lawler didn't come across as a World Champion with all the bull shit that was going on. Make no mistake it was great bull shit, but too much for a World Champion. 3 1/2*

Jerry Lawler vs. Tatsumi Fujinami (NJ 3/16/89)

This is pretty interesting and a total style clash that morphs into a solid match. Lawler still used his punches just not as many. He worked more holds than he usually does. Fujinami worked over Lawler's leg.The cool part of this is it played into the finish. Lawler worked over Fujinami's back. Lawler did this cool variation of a back breaker. The finish was well worked with Lawler's leg giving out allowing Fujinami scoring the flash pin. 2 3/4*

Jerry Lawler vs. Iceman King Parsons (7/9/89)

This is a handheld. This goes about 15 minutes. I'd say it was all misdirection to allow Harold Harris to interfere freely and cheapshot Lawler. This goes on back and forth between Parsons and Harris causing the distraction. This generates a lot of heat, but as a match wears thin pretty quick. 1/2*

• 2 weeks later...

Jerry Lawler vs. Tatsumi Fujinami (NJ 3/16/89)

This is pretty interesting and a total style clash that morphs into a solid match. Lawler still used his punches just not as many. He worked more holds than he usually does. Fujinami worked over Lawler's leg.The cool part of this is it played into the finish. Lawler worked over Fujinami's back. Lawler did this cool variation of a back breaker. The finish was well worked with Lawler's leg giving out allowing Fujinami scoring the flash pin. 2 3/4*

This match has a strange, almost screwed ending for Lawler as he kicks up at 2....but the ref counts 3..

He makes the challenge for Title vs Title (IWGP vs. Unified) with a US and Japanese ref...did it ever happen and was it televised?

I didnt think the match was anything spectacular, but good enough....

Some more King from 1988.

Jerry Lawler vs. Curt Hennig (5/9/88)

Pretty strong match. It has some flaws in my eyes, but still damn good. I'd say 3 3/4*

I also liked this, but I agree it falls short of being great. In many ways the pre-match/post-match stuff seemed more significant than the bout itself.

• 2 weeks later...

I look at some more Lawler as AWA champ in 89.

Jerry Lawler vs. Curt Hennig (7/16/88)

This was just great. They both worked hard and bumped big for each other. Hennig's bumps off of Lawler's punches were superb. The finish was shitty. If more people were watching AWA and this had a better finish it would be more of a pimped match. Lawler really feels like a World Champ here. 4 1/4*

This was a good, high energy match, but the finish was so bad. As a wrestling fan you accept that the title can't change on a disqualification, but to have it end with an over the top rope DQ from a sleeper counter is stupid. Lawler might as well throw Hennig over the top in the first five minutes. I also thought Hennig looked more like Mr. Perfect here than pre-WWF Hennig. Some of those bumps off Lawler's punches were pretty outrageous and he didn't bring as much offence as n previous matches.

Jerry Lawler/Jimmy Valiant vs. Kerry Von Erich/Michael Hayes from some point in 89.

On paper this kinda piqued my interest. This is from Louiville I think and aired on AWA t.v, This is about as much of a Texas vs. Tennesse match as it can get. The Texas team is treated like heels but don't really try to be ones. I always thought Valiant and Hayes had a lot in common except Hayes was a better worker. We see Lawler and Kerry working a we know each others moves and it really doesn't work for me since they are completely different wrestlers. Hayes and Valiant seem confused out there.Overall the match misses the mark. I'd go maybe 3/4*.

Jerry Lawler vs. Eric Embry (TX 9/8/89)

I think these guys are great opponents for one another. I feel these guys have very similar ideas on how to wrestle a match. First off they do a great job of establishing the title as something important. We see Al Perez with Akbar, Tojo representing Chu Hi, and Kerry Von Erich arguing over who gets the next show. I thought that was a nice piece of business. The crowd seems really hot for this match. We see it start out with a great Embry punch. Later in the match Embry takes this huge back drop here. Both Embry and Lawler are great at milking great moments, or selling impacts of moves. So all the little and big things matter. Lawler is a master at pissing the crowd off. He uses a scarf and his own boot as weapons throughout the bout. This really pissed the crowd off. I really enjoyed the work and the heat it generated. Sometimes though you feel the World Champ should be above the over the top cheating that Lawler is doing here. I feel the champ could and should cheat, but not so over the top where it distracts from his actual skill set. Still I ate up everything Lawler did. We built to a hot finish, that resulted in a nifty flash pin. The icing on the cake was postmatch when Lawler tells the Granny in the front row to put the belt on around his waist while she's booing. I'd go 3 3/4* for this match.

Jerry Lawler, Jeff Jarrett & Freddy vs. Dutch Mantel, Master of Pain & Ronnie Gossett (7/10/89)

If you don't enjoy this match or at least amused by it you have no soul or you take your wrestling way too serious. This was a total blast and had many great moments. I loved the opening shine segment. The faces did a great job with the schtick on the shine. Freddy was the star here. Throughout the match everyone had their moments. Lawler had his moments. Jarrett really carried the meat of match with his FIP work. Dutch was the glue for his team. Gossett had great interactions with Lawler and Freddy. Gossett was a total blast. Master of Pain looked great. They did a great job of highlighting his strengths. This was fun. 3 1/4*

Jerry Lawler vs. Eric Embry (TX 9/22/89)

This was another good match between the 2. This was a lumberjack match based off the finish in the other match between the 2. This was punch based with both guys throwing great ones. Both men sold and bumped well here. Lawler played hide the object that wasn't an object and of course this was great. He's the greatest at doing it ever. Eventually, Embry would get the "object" and he did some great pantomime too. My complaint still stands about it being un World Champion worthy. I believe a champ can cheat, but not build a whole match around it. Of course having Lumberjacks lead to another screw job finish. 3 1/2*