Pro Wrestling Only

A Call For Picks

Matt D

I can find beauty in any wrestling match.

As for the set time, Charles, I think it's a bit like a watching club. It lets everyone focus on one match at one time. Like a book of the week club. Everyone has access to libraries and can post reviews on amazon or whatever, but this just lets anyone who wants to participate focus in. I do like the notes for "everything" but a lot of times, you'll get a reply in once every few months when people see the match and it's not fresh on people's minds so there's not immediate responses. It's a great historical resource and great to watch something and then see what people have thought about it over the last few years but this is a bit more immediate, if that makes sense.

Amen, Matt. Like for instance, I just did what I consider a very good write-up on the Austin/Steamboat BATB '94 match where I respond to people's claim of the match being disjointed by finding a constant thread (Austin's desperation tactics and out & out cheating) that connects the match from beginning to end and how the match runs through him. Now due to the nature of the beast, I did not expect anyone to respond and I am not disappointed (though I did get in a cheap plug for it). I know that eventually someone will watch that match, go to the thread and see my dissenting opinion and respond in turn. However, I think there is value in having us all watch a match at the same time because it will promote more instantaneous discussion.

The reason, I have not participated is because selfishly I am wrapped up too much in my own projects. Since I do think this is a worthwhile venture, I would like to get this restarted.

HHH/Austin No Way Out '01 is a great high-profile match and works perfectly with me as I am watching HHH '99-'01 and don't mind skipping around. So I'll second that nomination.

I already watched HHH/Austin a few days ago and have the match written up. I was working on making a thread for it Sunday night when I got a call asking me if I could work Monday morning so I went to bed and forgot about it. I'll start it Sunday just to keep the week time frame nice and neat.

I can find beauty in any wrestling match.

As for the set time, Charles, I think it's a bit like a watching club. It lets everyone focus on one match at one time. Like a book of the week club. Everyone has access to libraries and can post reviews on amazon or whatever, but this just lets anyone who wants to participate focus in. I do like the notes for "everything" but a lot of times, you'll get a reply in once every few months when people see the match and it's not fresh on people's minds so there's not immediate responses. It's a great historical resource and great to watch something and then see what people have thought about it over the last few years but this is a bit more immediate, if that makes sense.

Amen, Matt. Like for instance, I just did what I consider a very good write-up on the Austin/Steamboat BATB '94 match where I respond to people's claim of the match being disjointed by finding a constant thread (Austin's desperation tactics and out & out cheating) that connects the match from beginning to end and how the match runs through him. Now due to the nature of the beast, I did not expect anyone to respond and I am not disappointed (though I did get in a cheap plug for it). I know that eventually someone will watch that match, go to the thread and see my dissenting opinion and respond in turn. However, I think there is value in having us all watch a match at the same time because it will promote more instantaneous discussion.

The reason, I have not participated is because selfishly I am wrapped up too much in my own projects. Since I do think this is a worthwhile venture, I would like to get this restarted.

HHH/Austin No Way Out '01 is a great high-profile match and works perfectly with me as I am watching HHH '99-'01 and don't mind skipping around. So I'll second that nomination.

This can still be accomplished with the forums that Charles has set up. You can still arrange to watch a certain match within a set time but post it in the folders Charles has already set up. Organize it here... post in there.

Nominate:

Invaders vs Mr. Fuji and Tiger Chung Lee 1-23-84 (WWF MSG)

Fuji is a brilliant heel, doing all the little things right. And the Invaders bring a taste of lucha to vary the pace. These guys could work this match today move for move and get a good crowd response, I think.

Easily available online as part of the whole Jan 84 show -- and also the match only on another video site.