Pro Wrestling Only

WCW's Highway to Hell

El-P

WEEK 102 (December 12 to 16, 2000)

Comeback of the week : Terry Funk dressed as Santa Claus (Nitro) That was unexpected. Funk dressed as Santa beat up both Norman Smiley and Meng, then challenged Crowbar to a hardcore match at Starrcade, then beat him up. Crowbar had Daffney dressed up as a hippie, which doesn't suit her.

Goofy angle of the week : The Harris Boys get intoxicated with laxative sandwhiches (Nitro) This reeks of Nash/Russo booking, but the execution was rathre funny though with the Harris leaving Jarrett alone against Konnan, Rey & Kidman. Once again, Rey ends up pinning Jarrett. This little feud has been more enjoyable than I thought it would.

Funny angle of the week : Lance Storm murders the United State national anthem (Thunder) He has to sing it because he lost a match on Nitro against The Cat & Miss Jones, and he sings about as poorly as Jacques and Pierre used to sing their own national anthem. This led to a match between Duggan and The Cat ending with Duggan having a change of heart and turning back babyface. I guess that's the end of Duggan being back on TV regularly. His stint as Canadian turncoat as been better than it looked on paper, but it was time to turn it off. This undercard feud has been the most fun part of the TV shows lately.

Match of the week : Jung Dragons vs Karagias & Knoble vs 3-Count (Thunder) They already use a ladder, which to me gives away too much on free TV. KNoble and Karagias still don't get along but they get a clean win. Not much thought put into this, but as always it was a fun spot match.

Pointless angle of the week : Buddy Lee Parker being the focus of Luger vs Goldberg (Nitro/Thunder) They sure found a way of making this feud as tepid as they could, with the involvment of Sarge, "sacrifying" himself to Goldie on Nitro when they were forced to fight each other, then getting beat up by Luger on Thunder. Does anyone gives a shit about Sarge, really ?

The build to Starrcade has been mostly really dull, and except the one big angle at the end of Nitro the previous week, there is really no heat or interest about the main programs. Sid just doesn't work at all. The PPV doesn't look like a major deal at all. After a good start, Rection vs Douglas really went nowhere. Bam Bam vs Awesome is an ambulance match nw which makes it even more dubious. Kronik vs Reno & Vito is a dead issue. The undercard will be carried by probably fun match Cat vs Storm, the tag team titles match between the Insiders and the Perfect event, the three way ladder match and maybe Jarrett & Harris vs Filthy Animals (I never thought I'd say the Harris would be included in something that could be fun). Funk vs Crowbar depends on hw creative they will work, and Rection just doesn't have much to bring to the table. The TV has been marred by too much backstage shit again and too few good matches.

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PPV 24 : Starrcade 2000

Fun match of the night : Lance Storm vs The Cat. The only really fun match of the night mind you. Everything I expect from those two. Miss Jones & Major Gunns actually worked a fun sequence outside with Jones missing a high kick and hitting the ref followed by Gunns dropkicking ger from behind. This also got the most heat of the night. Ending saw Duggan, who was convinced earlier by Storm that the USA fan would never welcome him back, hit The Cat to give Lance the win, then Team Canade proceeded to beat Duggan out of the team. Fun stuff and a final end of the whole Duggan storyline I guess.

Garbage match of the night : Crowbar vs Terry Funk They worked some pretty brutal and fun stuff backsatge, including battling inside a truck. Way too much unprotected chair shot though, but this was vintage Terry Funk at the time. Worked a pretty serious match despite using goofy object like a car door. Funk wins the title. Interesting fact pointed out was that he retired for the first time the same year the first Starrcade took place.

Idiotic bumps match of the night : 3-Count vs Jung Dragons vs Jamie Knoble & Evan Karagias. This was hurt by the fact it was a three-way, which makes it messier and more convoluted than a simple team vs team match, and the purpose really didn't make no sense. It was worked as a tag team matches but the price was a cruiserweight title shot *the next night* on Nitro. Seriously ? These guys killed each other so they would get a simple title shot the next night ? Bad booking. The match fell down the path of long-ass setups and convoluted spots and bumps, and lost me way before it ended. Disapointing stuff.

Bad garbage match of the night : Jeff Jarrett & Harris Boys vs Filthy Animals. They spent a whole backstage segment then a Jarrett promo to tell us it would be a Bunkhouse match also (it was already scheduled as a Filthy Animals street fight). Useless. And why the fuck did I expect a match involving the Harris Boys would be any good ? They hit themselves with plunders with no rhyme or reason, they took bumps into stuff and then the match turned into a traditionnal tag match with heat segment on a babyface and Jarrett working a sleeper. Ok, this is garbage and retarded. Note that this was also the fourth garbage/brawl/gimmick match of the night at this point already.

Bad gimmick match of the night : Mike Awesome vs Bam Bam Bigelow. Ambulance match. Yeah, because that was such a successful gimmick when Russo did it. Plodding around the ring, boring the hell ouf of the audience. Awesome through himself on a table since he can't do any of his big time offense of Bam Bam. Went around the ambulance, did the same "hit your opponent by closing the door on him" spot that was used by Crowbar & Terry Funk. Then Bam Bam fell through the gimmicked roof into the Ambulance. Did Russo booked this ?

Swerve match of the night : Kronik vs Big Vito & Reno. Kronik are acting like Mary paid them. Reno turns on his brother at the end. This was a swerve, he's back with the NBT and he was the one paying off Kronik. Whatever. Match sucked. Mary has great cleavage.

WTF ending match of the night : Shane Douglas vs Gen. Rection. That's it. Finally, bad booking and dull-ass worker finally got a boring, stupid match out of Shane Douglas. Good job people. Gen. Rection just doesn't work. The name sucks, the work is uninspired and dull at best, he's not over, he's uninteresting, he was over for a few weeks thanks to Duggan and Storm but he's just not warranting a push at this level. Shane's work is solid, but there's nothing much to get out of Rection at this point. Then the ending, Chavo Guerrero who has turned on Rection shows up, distracts the ref, throws a chain to Douglas, then points it out to the ref so Douglas is DQed. Gigantic WTF. Not to mention it's been months that guys have been using chairs freely in title matches, but Douglas apparently is the only one that can be DQed for alleged usage of a chain. Garbage. Poor Shane, he deserves way better than this crap.

Tag match of the night : Insiders vs Perfect Event. Decent, but a less good redux of the previous PPV match, with basically the same ending. Scott Hall is the most over guy of the bunch.

Useless "no holds barred" match of the night : Goldberg vs Lex Luger. Plodding, boring match with nothing in term of violence that warrants the whole "no-holds barred/no DQ" gimmick. Especially after four garbage matches on the same card. Who booked this shit ? Anyway, involvment of Buddy Lee Parker (oh gawwwd) and Buff Bagwell (ohhhhh gawwwwwwwd) who turns on Parker and Goldie (SWERVE !!). Okay, more useless and bad stuff.

Nitro main event of the night : Scott Steiner vs Sid Vicious. At this point this match looks like, every other Steiner TV match, and since Sid sucked a whole lot, it isn't very good nor even fun. When the best part is Jeff Jarrett trying to crash a guitar, you know this isn't any good. Sid is such a failure, it's amazing that ten years after their first try, WCW would still use him as a main event guy. So, Steiner wins despite taking Jarrett's guitar shot (by accident, but I would enjoy Steiner vs Jarrett quite a bit I'm sure).

This was a totally heatless, awful and depressing show. The booking had no less than five garbage/brawl/no DQ matches lined-up and delivered no less than four "unexpected turns" also known as "swerves". If I didn't know better I could think Russo had booked this shit. Oh, but no woman was humiliated nor abused, so it couldn't be. Still, this was unbearable to get through, easily one of the worst PPV of the year, with the few things that looked good or at least decent on paper ending up worse or plain bad (except for Storm vs Cat). A fitting way to close the year 2000, really.

WEEK 103 (December 18 to 22, 2000)

Match of the week : Rey Mysterio Jr. vs Lance Storm (Nitro) They could have one hell of a match probably, but this was a short sprint. Rey was selling his injured ribs and Lance worked a bit on it. Just foreshadowing what match they could have more than anything else.

Honorable mention of the week : Lance Storm vs Jeff Jarrett (Nitro). This was the same deal, pretty much, these two could have a really good match but his was too short and rushed to amount to anything. Lance outworked Jarrett here, who really doesn't do that much in this setting. Cool spot when the two heels trying to sucker punch each other at the same time as the ref was trying to break them up in the corner. Jarrett wins the match clean with the best looking Stroke ever (I credit Storm for the setup and the bump) and is thrown into the main event three-way match at the next PPV. Of course he pretends he's out there to look out for Steiner and watch his back. The third guy is not known yet but he's been seen backstage then on Thunder with a straight jacket and a goofy hockey mask. Man...

Turn of the week : Mike Awesome joins Team Canada (Thunder). Good for Awesome that is getting rid of the 70's gimmick, but he was much needed on the babyface front which is more and more depleted by the weeks. They made a good use of Duggan again, as he apologized for his mistake at the beginning of the show and said his goodbyes, before getting suckered by Awesome into staying around until the end of the show. Then he got lured back in the ring by Storm (who can't get enough of making fun of the parody of democracy that was the presidential election in 2000) and betrayed by Awesome.

Let's never get Goldberg back on top feud of the week : Goldberg & Buddy Lee Parker vs Lex Luger & Buff Bagwell (Nitro). Shit. Are they really going to take that road ? The Luger feud flopped, didn't get any heat, and now we're throwing Bagwell in this ? I'm dreading a PPV match between those four, this booking team learned nothing of the mistakes of their predecessors. Goldberg is so dead, and re-working a stupid "streak" gimmick isn't gonna help him when he's saddled with fucking State Patrol/Power Plant jacked up midget Sarge and feuding with Luger whom he squashed twice already and Bagwell who's a low undercarder at this point.

Badly exposing match of the week : Shane Helms vs Shannon Moore (Nitro). I have enjoyed their multi-man matches quite a bit, but one against the other, these two are badly exposed for what they are : greenhorns doing sloppy spot-wrestling with counters and counter-counters for no rhyme or reasons. They need to be in the ring with some veterans or solid worker, they can't work a good match together.

I realized Torrie Wilson is gone for good. Just as she was getting fun on the mic and as a character. Damn, her pairing with Douglas was perfect. They are running a bizarre angle with Blood Runs Cold...again vignettes being showed and Norman Smiley being all excited about it. With just a few weeks before the next PPV but only one Nitro left because of preamptions on Xmas and New Year's days, the build to Sin will be rushed as all hell. Not looking good.

WEEK 104 (January 3, 2001)

Let's kill Goldberg even more angle of the week : Goldberg in a box (Thunder). Kronik attacks Goldberg backstage while Sarge is being dismantled by Buff Bagwell and Lex Luger in the ring, and they put him in a box. Or a crate. Or something. This is garbage. And yes, this feud is Goldie & Sarge vs Luger & Bagwell. Meanwhile, Sid Vicous & Jeff Jarrett are in the main event at the PPV. And Goldberg is in teh box. This company deserved to die.

Jim Duggan beatdown of the week : Mike Awesome vs Jim Duggan (Thunder). Ok, enough already with Duggan. He had his moments, it worked for a while, but we really don't need more Jim Duggan matches in 2001. This doesn't look any good obviously. The good news is that the feud is moving toward the Filthy Animals, which on paper looks pretty good.

With Nitro preampted for the second week in a row, they only got Thunder this week to build to the PPV, and it doesn't look good. The build to the three-way on top is garbage with the stupid "mystery man" gimmick, and unless something really freaky occurs (uh uh), this looks like a dead issue. What Goldberg is put into is just depressing. The Cat is feuding with Mike Sanders again despite having settled this feud just a few months ago. Douglas vs Rection is as dead as ever. Really, it's striking how thin the roster is at this point in term of talent, and the bookers are using some really bad guys again like Sarge, Sid or Meng (who is funny for two minutes every three months or so). No good solid match on TV, nothing remotely exciting or interesting for weeks now. WCW looks totally dead, really.

Yep, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.:)

Meng tagging with Barbie was super cool. Meng doing Da Monsta gimmick usually means really shitty match.

WEEK 105 (January 8 to 10)

Match of the week : Rey Mysterio Jr. & Kidman vs Lance Storm & Elix Skipper (Thunder). Give me Storm vs Rey in a 15 mn match already. Toward the end of the match, they fuked up a spot, and corrected it. Then, Kidman & Skipper fucked up a whole sequence and looked like goofballs. Kidman really hasn't improved one bit, he actually isn't as good as he used to, but he can still fire up a babyface comeback. The match at Sin will have a penalty box gimmick and Jim Duggan as a special referee. Great, more impairing stips. And I thought I would get a good match...

Promos exchange of the week : The Cat & Mike Sanders (Thunder). Man, I hate the modern format of one guy in the ring arguing with one guy on the ramp. Anyway, The Cat is pretty funny antogonizing a fat and ugly fan sitting on the front row. Mike Sanders said Miss Jones was hired to be the Commish's assistant so she has to work for him. Okay, he's been commisionner for months and he only mentions it one week before the PPV so we get a "Miss Jones on the line" stipulation ? Rather lame. Miss Jones & The Cat dancing never gets old.

Honorable mention of the week : Jeff Jarrett vs Scott Steiner (Nitro) Flair is forcing them on having a match for the WCW title. Pretty decent stuff, although by that point Steiner works the exact same TV match all the time and it begins to show. Sid jumps in for no reason, then we get the "mystery man" who's obviously Rick Steiner here by the way he throws punches, even the audience is doing the requisite dog face gremlin bark. This whole mystery man angle has been awful. Now the PPV match is supposed to be a 4-way.

Nothing much to say really, things are really not exciting and the top of the card, with Sid and the mystery man angle on one hand and Goldberg being saddled in that awful Totally Buffed feud with fucking Power Plant midget on the other, is pretty rotten. They are running Reno vs Vito again, like this hasn't been dead since the start. I'm so tired of the Rection push too, and his feud with Douglas is going nowhere so they added a "first blood match" stipulation to put some heat on it. The Team Canada vs Filthy Animals feud is now overscripted with gimmicks. Cat vs Sanders is a rehash, like Insiders vs NBT. Chavo vs Shane Helms could be good, but both are heels. Just dumb booking when you're doing nothing with babyfaces Jamie Knoble & Jung Dragons. The TV was a bit better this week, and Madden was replaced by Disco, but the PPV doesn't look good.

Well, I wish Larry Z. would be somewhere on my TV screen actually, in any capacity.

PPV 25 : Sin 2001

Death of WCW match of the night : Goldberg & Sarge vs Buff Bagwell & Lex Luger. I won't even mention that Goldie should squash these two by himself in about five minutes, hell he did squash freaking Kronik in about five minutes, and he was alone. I won't even mention the torture of going through a Buddy Lee Parker face in peril segment in 2001 in a semi-main event especially with the heat put on by way past their primes Bagwell & Luger. I will mention the fact that Goldberg got blinded by a fan whom he sign an autograph backstage earlier in the show and that he got pinned by Luger effectively "ending his WCW career". Wow. Just wow. Shitty match, shitty feud and now they actually kill Goldberg with a fake fan at ringside who swerved Goldie ? Of course the crowd died. It didn't get heat, they just died. And they were hot for most of the show before that point. Taylor, Ace & Ferrara (of course) were as much dumb fucks as the previous ones. This is garbage. And speaking of garbage...

Worst surprise ever since Savio Vega match of the night : Jeff Jarrett vs Scott Steiner vs Sid Vicious. The mystery man will only show up when it's time, or so says Flair. Jarrett & Steiner basically work two on one on Sid. Match is awful and totally heatless. Not that the previous Sid main event got any reaction, but here the crowd has been killed and buried by what they saw before, they couldn't give a shit about this bad match. Sid breaking his leg in the most grotesque fashion would almost make it a perfect disaster, then Flair throws the mystery man into the mix. A few people bark, expecting Rick Steiner, which would be horrible in itself, but it's Road Warrior Animal ! Wow. Crowd would die again if they weren't dead already. In the words of Tony Schiavone, cutting his best line in years : "Road Warrior Animal, are you kidding me ?"

Nonsensical match of the night : Shane Douglas vs Gen. Rection. I'm a Douglas fan, but this was really stupid. First Blood match with a chain suspended above the ring. Referee checks Douglas and finds a hidden chain in his tights. Rection uses some armdrags and the announcers are trying their best to explain why he would do so in a first blood match. Shane Douglas works the knee and the announcers are trying their best to explain why he would do so in a first blood match. Rection doesn't sell the knee. Rection gets a ladder, but doesn't use it as a weapon to bust out Douglas, you see, a chain suspended above the ring is a much safer choice. Dougas makes Rection fall from the ladder, but he doesn't take the chain that Rection had grabbed, he uses another chain he had hidden in his boots, hits Rection with it, then takes the official chain and shows to the ref that Rection is bleeding. My brain my bleeding too.

Garbage match of the night : Terry Funk & Crowbar vs Meng. I take back what I said about Meng, they really work hard to make this look more brutal and special than most hardcore matches in eons. Good for what it was, with Terry going berzerk in the bathroom, Crowbar jumping from a balcony (not too high thankfully) through a table (which in total WCW fashion they missed), Meng taking trash can shots in the face and goofy stuff like this.

Grudge match of the night : Big Vito vs Reno. Not much in term of selling, but they really pulled it off on the intensity aspect by beating each other up pretty nicely. I never cared ofr this feud, but this match got me into it thanks to the pacing and execution. Surprisingly good.

Shitty run-in match of the night : Insiders vs Chuck Palumbo & Sean O'Haire. Replacing Stasiak by O'Haire makes the match that much better. Still the same formula though, with DDP playing Ricky Morton and Nash coming up to clean the place. It was a decent match until the stupid run in by Luger and Bagwell (wearing a stupid wig) who cost the Insiders the title. What was the point of this ? The NTB look like geeks when they are six and they still need two other guys to defeat the Insiders. Anyway...

Fun match of the night : The Cat vs Mike Sanders. You know the drill, Sanders and Cat are funny, Miss Jones is hot and throws a mean high kick. The most fun part is Kronik (yeah, the only time they have been fun thus far) running in to save The Cat, who paid them more than Sanders. They shove Sanders money into his mouth so it flies around when The cat kicks him in the head, making for a great visual. Fun, quick, with a good ending. This also got tons of heat.

Good work/stupid gimmick match of the night : Team Canada vs Filthy Animals. Like I feared, the penalty box stip hurt the flow and the pacing of the match, and distracted the director to boot. Plus the reasons why people would be thrown into the boxes weren't always very clear. The work was mostly very good though, so it was enjoyable nonetheless, but it probably would have been the match of the night if not for the gimmick.

Hot opener of the night : Chavo Guerrero Jr. vs Shane Helms. Better than I thought it would be, Chavo hold it together and Shane Helms showed his potential. This was a nice throwback to the days of good cruiserweight matches on PPV and launched the night on a very positive vibe.

Match of the night : Jung Dragons vs Evan Karagias & Jamie Knoble. Not even announced and yet it ends up being the best match of the night. Rather on the short side, but sweet all action match. It's obvious the Jung Dragons three man team was much better than three count, and it shows here as basically it's them + Evan, who looks pretty good in this setting too. He actually did a 450 splash, which they called a Firebird (a geeky tribute to Hayabusa from Scott Hudson ?). Yang fucked up the finish though, but apart from that, it was all good.

Well, I really believed this PPV was gonna be really good after the first few matches. And he was mostly really good for the first half. But with the run in at the end of the tag titles match, things quickly took a nosedive so finally hit the pits of booking and work hell with the three last match. The Goldberg stuff is just mind blowingly retarded, and the final match... what to say ? Who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to build to the unveiling of Road Warrior Animal ? Apart from his brother who's booking this shit I mean. And the whole "It was me all along" shit we're gonna get from Flair on Nitro the next night will only make things worse to me. This was a swerve as stupid as anything Russo did, and Animal showing up in the main event is just the rotten cherry on the shitty cake. Sid breaking his leg made the whole thing even more a trainwreck and in a way diverted from the booking atrocity that was the last two matches, but man, they killed their live audience with this shit. So, a really good first half and a really godawful last third. Vintage WCW.

WEEK 100 (November 27 to December 02, 2000)

Promo of the week : Scott Steiner, new WCW champion (Nitro) It took a hundred weeks after Starccade 98 for Scott Steiner to get the WCW belt. Way too late.

This in a nutshell is the summary of everything.

"Here was a good opportunity that sort of paid off but not really because we waited too long. And that was the highlight of what we got right."

Death of WCW match of the night : Goldberg & Sarge vs Buff Bagwell & Lex Luger. I won't even mention that Goldie should squash these two by himself in about five minutes, hell he did squash freaking Kronik in about five minutes, and he was alone. I won't even mention the torture of going through a Buddy Lee Parker face in peril segment in 2001 in a semi-main event especially with the heat put on by way past their primes Bagwell & Luger. I will mention the fact that Goldberg got blinded by a fan whom he sign an autograph backstage earlier in the show and that he got pinned by Lugern effectively "ending his WCW career".

Not sure if you're aware of this but this was indeed Goldberg's last WCW appearance. What a way to go out.

I just watched Greed the other day and Buffer was still used there. Amazing that with all the cost cutting you would think they would be doing at this point, they're still throwing so much cash at somebody who added so little.

He very well could have had a guaranteed signed contract so if that was the case, no reason not to use him.

I did't know it was Goldberg's last appearance. It's even worse than I thought then.

And yes, Micheal Buffer was still employed on PPV.

WEEK 106 (January 15 to 17, 2001)

"It was me all along" angle of the week : Ric Flair was the mastermind behind Goldberg's downfall (Nitro). Okay. It makes no sense whatsoever ocnsidering how Flair acted the last two months. Especially when it comes to Mike Sanders whom he forced into a Commisionner match against the Cat. Anyway, so know we have evil Flair + Scott Steiner + Luger + Bagwell + Jarrett as a super heel unit. Needless to say it totally dilutes Steiner's appeal, which was to be a psycho lone wolf of a man. Luger and Bagwell have nothing left I'm sad to say. And on a the babyface side we have now Nash + DDP + the Cat + .... Rick Steiner ? Awww gawwwwd.... And Kronik ? Fuck me. This is what was supposed to be *good* ? Seriously ?

Ironic angle of the week : Goldberg's burial (Nitro). Yeah, really ironic considering they really have been burying the guy for two years now, and finally it's down, he's nowhere around. Good job people. You've pissed away the only legit star you created. Clap clap clap.

Match of the week : DDP vs Jeff Jarrett (Thunder). Worked in a way where they got the most out of simple stuff, like doing an efficient sleeper spot with a final reversal from DDP into some sort of sleeper Diamond Cutter or something. Both looked good despite clearly not overextending themselves (although DDP always works pretty hard, even at this point). I could live with a single feud between those two.

Cosmetic change of the week : Mike Awesome got a haircut courtesy of Konnan (Nitro) I liked the long hair better, added more visual effect to teh big power moves of Awesome. The match against Konnan was pretty decent all things considered, as Konnan isn't afraid to take Awesome's offense. On Thunder Awesome had a good match against Kidman, whom he was supposed to face on Nitro in a hair vs hair match. Team Canada is still the best heel faction on TV and they look good by winning matches without too much bullshit around.

Whatever turn of the week : A-Wall turns on Rection. Cool, so these two will feud together and they will not drag good workers down anymore. I'm so tired of this stupid MIA gimmick. Rection is slowly snapping so a Hugh Morrus comeback is looming.

Next opponent for Steiner will probably be Nash. They have no one else and at least Nash can have a good match with Steiner, as showed by the short sprint they had on Nitro. It's not fresh, but it's a good way to keep Steiner occupied before Goldberg comes ba... Ok, sorry. Rick Steiner coming back as a babyface makes no sense and since he was easily one of the worst performer of 1999 and 2000, it can only be bad news. Just pair him with Animal. Kronik are faces once again. Damn the babyface side looks bad. The Cat now can make matches as he wishes, despite the fact Flair was fucking around all the time with Sanders when he was commish, more logic hole than in swiss cheese in this Flair turn. A few good matches involving Chavo (against Crowbar on Nitro), DDP and Team Canada made the TV watchable, but really, this isn't good overall, and Goldberg leaving is just a huge blow to a company in life support.

Think the long term plan, if Bischoff could find a buyer for WCW, to reboot the direction of the company with all the babyfaces, Goldberg included, returning one by one. I think Scott Steiner was supposed to be the champion in this scenario, building to Steiner/Goldberg at Starrcade. Then Vince stepped in and all bets were off.

I did't know it was Goldberg's last appearance. It's even worse than I thought then.

And yes, Micheal Buffer was still employed on PPV.

WEEK 106 (January 15 to 17, 2001)

"It was me all along" angle of the week : Ric Flair was the mastermind behind Goldberg's downfall (Nitro). Okay. It makes no sense whatsoever ocnsidering how Flair acted the last two months. Especially when it comes to Mike Sanders whom he forced into a Commisionner match against the Cat. Anyway, so know we have evil Flair + Scott Steiner + Luger + Bagwell + Jarrett as a super heel unit. Needless to say it totally dilutes Steiner's appeal, which was to be a psycho lone wolf of a man. Luger and Bagwell have nothing left I'm sad to say. And on a the babyface side we have now Nash + DDP + the Cat + .... Rick Steiner ? Awww gawwwwd.... And Kronik ? Fuck me. This is what was supposed to be *good* ? Seriously ?

Ironic angle of the week : Goldberg's burial (Nitro). Yeah, really ironic considering they really have been burying the guy for two years now, and finally it's down, he's nowhere around. Good job people. You've pissed away the only legit star you created. Clap clap clap.

Match of the week : DDP vs Jeff Jarrett (Thunder). Worked in a way where they got the most out of simple stuff, like doing an efficient sleeper spot with a final reversal from DDP into some sort of sleeper Diamond Cutter or something. Both looked good despite clearly not overextending themselves (although DDP always works pretty hard, even at this point). I could live with a single feud between those two.

Cosmetic change of the week : Mike Awesome got a haircut courtesy of Konnan (Nitro) I liked the long hair better, added more visual effect to teh big power moves of Awesome. The match against Konnan was pretty decent all things considered, as Konnan isn't afraid to take Awesome's offense. On Thunder Awesome had a good match against Kidman, whom he was supposed to face on Nitro in a hair vs hair match. Team Canada is still the best heel faction on TV and they look good by winning matches without too much bullshit around.

Whatever turn of the week : A-Wall turns on Rection. Cool, so these two will feud together and they will not drag good workers down anymore. I'm so tired of this stupid MIA gimmick. Rection is slowly snapping so a Hugh Morrus comeback is looming.

Next opponent for Steiner will probably be Nash. They have no one else and at least Nash can have a good match with Steiner, as showed by the short sprint they had on Nitro. It's not fresh, but it's a good way to keep Steiner occupied before Goldberg comes ba... Ok, sorry. Rick Steiner coming back as a babyface makes no sense and since he was easily one of the worst performer of 1999 and 2000, it can only be bad news. Just pair him with Animal. Kronik are faces once again. Damn the babyface side looks bad. The Cat now can make matches as he wishes, despite the fact Flair was fucking around all the time with Sanders when he was commish, more logic hole than in swiss cheese in this Flair turn. A few good matches involving Chavo (against Crowbar on Nitro), DDP and Team Canada made the TV watchable, but really, this isn't good overall, and Goldberg leaving is just a huge blow to a company in life support.

I was at this show. The most memorable thing about it is that we left during the Meng/Bam Bam match, and that Sunday we saw Haku as the surprise entrant in the Royal Rumble, thus being probably the last surprise defection of the Monday Night Wars.

If you are looking for something to watch after the Death of WCW, you should go back and watch 85/86 JCP. The formation of The Four Horsemen, the Paul Jones/Jimmy Valiant war, Magnum T.A. vs. Nikita, Dusty vs. Flair is all better than The Fingerpoke of Doom, The Burial of Goldberg or Vince Russo & David Arquette as World Champions.

• Loss unpinned this topic
  • Loss pinned and unlocked this topic