Pro Wrestling Only

PWO FEEDBACK

goodhelmet

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can split posters on wrestling forums into 3 basic catagories. Trolls, Fanboys and Hardcores.

Fanboys and Trolls have little to no interest in classic wrestling, they only care about current stuff.

So pretty much every poster at this site are the Hardcores, and extremely knowledgable about wrestling. The average age also seems to be about twice what you'd get at some other places, so you don't have a bunch of 14 year olds trolling each other all day. I think most people here have been watching wrestling longer than they've been alive. :)

The PWO forums are well moderated and extremely well structured to promote discussion with the subforums.

I don't post regularly here(or even close to it) since I am one of those people who watches the current product more. This is a place that I check almost daily though since there are so many knowledgeable people where you can learn a lot just by reading some threads. The Microscope is beyond awesome. Dylan's PR thread is super sweet and has opened a door to a territory I enjoy right now in 2013. I know once the 1992 yearbook I ordered from Will comes in I am going to try and post in that section a decent bit since I don't need as much of a scope with all the content right in front of me. Okay, I really dig this place, everyone involved keep up the stellar work.

• 3 weeks later...

This place was a hell of a find for me. Literally none of my friends have had any interest going on about 15-20 years now, while I've only become a bigger fan and sought out more and new material as I've gotten older. Having a place like this that exposes me to tons of new/old footage through the yearbooks and other comps? While also having a community of folks talking about who simply do not troll? Awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

To echo everyone else's comments, the sheer amount of accumulated knowledge on this board is simply outstanding. The months I spent lurking here were like a postgraduate course in wrestling history. Also, the board has taught me to reach my own conclusions and not simply defer to established authority. My first forays into non-US wrestling were New Japan juniors matches. They didn't really do much for me, but I was under the impression that they held in universally high regard, so I figured the problem was lack of understanding on my end. Coming here and being exposed to different perspectives gave me the courage to say "You know, maybe these matches just suck."

The thing is, this board's greatest strength is also its greatest weakness. Simply trying to hold your own in a discussion can be incredibly demanding in terms of both knowledge and intensity. In fact, that's why I haven't been around too much lately. I've been going out and dating more recently, and it's kind of hard for me to shift my brain from in-depth match/wrestler analysis mode to date conversation mode.

There's definitely something to be said for that, as ridiculous as it seems. I have watched and know infinitely more about pro wrestling than anyone in my life. Then I come to an awesome place like this and feel like a big rookie. Nothing wrong with that, but its often a combo of awesome and intimidating. Love it.

I feel like a big rookie here sometimes too. Everyone does. No one is above it. We have lots of people here who know their stuff, but no one here is an expert on everything.

It took a few years of lurking before I felt comfortable to talk here and that's after being on DVDVR for years and years.

Now everyone wished I talked less.

I'm a little concerned if people are sending PMs of solidarity to support people who they agree with in heated discussions, but they're afraid to get involved in threads because they are getting so heated. That's everyone's prerogative, and people can talk about anything they want in PMs. It's no one else's business. However, I don't want this to turn into a board where people who have something worthwhile to contribute don't, because they are afraid of getting in a big flame war over their chosen side of an issue. That's not at all what I want this board to be.

Debates can be heated. I love that, and try not to discourage that. But debates can also be civil while heated. I hope we can all attack the message without attacking the messenger, and that we all understand the difference.

The thing is, this board's greatest strength is also its greatest weakness. Simply trying to hold your own in a discussion can be incredibly demanding in terms of both knowledge and intensity. In fact, that's why I haven't been around too much lately. I've been going out and dating more recently, and it's kind of hard for me to shift my brain from in-depth match/wrestler analysis mode to date conversation mode.

I wouldn't worry about that. There are massive chunks of the discussion here where anyone of us know very little, but there's someone else to pick things up. AWA? We have KHawk. Lawler? Lots of people like him, but there are guys like Bix and Phil who have a lot of it at the tip of mind. Joshi? We just had Lioness pop up, and we had two major joshi watchers pop in (Daniel and Jerome) even before our resident joshi obsessive (and I say that with kindness given the stuff I've been obsessive about) Flik showed up.

Current stuff? I don't watch a boatload of it. But if something goofy happens in the WWE, or something getting a ton of run online, I know that there will likely be a discussion here that can get me up to speed.

We're all out of date on various things in out life, including lots of pro wrestling. Don't worry about it. Pop in with what interests you.

John

• 5 months later...
  • Loss unpinned this topic