Pro Wrestling Only

Colt Cabana

jpchicago23

I havent seen too much love for Colt on here but maybe i'm not looking hard enough. I think he's very talented and has a very unique almost British style to his wrestling. He's easily one of the best comedy guys out right now but when he's serious he's also pretty damn good. The street fight with Generico against Steen and Corino was ver good and his matches with Homicide were great in ROH. I havent seen the Pearce title change or the Lawler match but i've heard they were great as well. I realize i might have a Chicago bias towards him but fuck it i like him. What does everybody else think of him? Is the comedy too much sometimes? Is he a great or just good worker?

I think Colt can be a very good worker but I do think the comedy can get too cute many times and he lets the matches get out of hand. I’m specifically thinking about the slow motion sequences and shit like that. I really liked Colt best in the 2005 era when he was busting out quirky British matwork but could also be serious when he needed to be in teaming or working against Punk.

One thing that is not really persistent here but I disagreed when people would spout it off on other message boards is how much "untapped" potential he has for the WWE. His run there went about as predictable as one could have hoped and Colt doesn't seem to have the adaptability like Bryan or Punk to an extent to survive in that environment.

Yea i agree, the comedy can get too cute like you said. Especially when you've seen him in the matches against Punk and Homicide where he really brings it. I wish he would save the comedy for places like Hustle and Chikara and maybe resort to being more of a serious ass kicking mat worker. His British matwork influences make him stand out really well if he would just cut some of the comedy out.

I sort of half agree on the WWE statement. While i think his first run was anything but flattering i do think he had more potential. I was seeing him regularly at FCW here in Tampa and while he wasnt lighting the place on fire he was still fun to watch. The other half to that would be i dont see him being a top guy like Punk or Bryan though. I think he has more potential than what he showed although its hard to show much when you're getting squashed in two mins on Smackdown. I just think he would be different for the WWE and they could really use him on the roster as someone who would stand out. Doesnt have to be and shouldnt be a top guy but definitely a mid card stalwort IC title type of guy.

I kinda feel that the main reason people even talk about Cabana is he was at right spot at the right time. He was put on the map in IWA-MS with supposedly having great matches with Punk and Hero. It's quite evident that both Punk and Hero smoke him as workers. He was lucky to get the rub. He rode Punk's coattails to ROH. Sure he was entertaining as Punk's second banana , but he was clearly the lesser of the 2. Punk went to be huge star while Colt keeps his name out there. I don't think he would have made a name for himself without Punk. I still think he has a place on a card, but I wouldn't pay him much.

Yea I by no means think he's a main eventer but his style is very different and is a change up especially in the WWE . To me he's just fun to watch, he will usually pull off a nice Exchange of holds and reversals that are simply just fun to see. I would never call him a super worker or anything just a nice ten minute match guy. Kind of like the late 90's wcw Saturday night type of guy with decent Mic skills. He's pretty versatile just see his hardcore stuff with homicide and vs corino and steen and I'm pretty sure he could be a decent base for smaller guys although I can't think of an example. He was solid in tags especially SCS vs the briscoes and we all know he can work comedy. I wanna see the homicide, johnny saint tag, Lawler, and maybe pearce matches together and see how different they are. Maybe I'm wrong but he seems to be the perfect mid card babyface and can work a crowd himself. Just because they're mainly 400 person crowds doesnt take away from his overness with them. And lastly he's from Chicago which means he automatically gets a notch on his belt in my book regardless if its biased

"... and the wheels on the bus go round and round"

I would love for both of you to elaborate.

I could do that and usually would in greater detail than anyone on this board as you well know.

But it's Cabana.

The guy has a good podcast. I think he would be entertaining as a pitchman and/or less talented Don West on commentary. And yes I realize some of his comedic bits pre-date Santino. But Santino is a guy that does his same general stuff better. I'm not sure how much detail I can really go into with this.

"... and the wheels on the bus go round and round"

I would love for both of you to elaborate.

I could do that and usually would in greater detail than anyone on this board as you well know.

But it's Cabana.

The guy has a good podcast. I think he would be entertaining as a pitchman and/or less talented Don West on commentary. And yes I realize some of his comedic bits pre-date Santino. But Santino is a guy that does his same general stuff better. I'm not sure how much detail I can really go into with this.

I like how you say this as if its fact. Good stuff

The guy is entertaining as a comedy worker. I saw him last year at an Indy show. He's a cool guy. He was entertaining in what he did and did connect to the crowd. His match was the only comedy based match and so it had a chance to get over. Now I went to a WWE house show recently and we got a Brodus Clay match, and later a Santino bout. That was overboard on the comedy matches.

Just because he's on a WWE roster and cabana Jang doesn't make him better. A guy like otunga isn't better than gallows just because he's on the roster. I personally think otunga is decent just used him for arguments sake

I don't think there is any question that merit is not the only metric that gets someone signed to the WWE.

But Santino was a guy who was supposedly a headache in developmental. He's a guy who debuted with a shooter gimmick. He's a guy who was given an initially hot gimmick, but one that was not intended to last as anything meaningful. He's a guy with distractingly absurd tattoos. He's a guy with a completely disposable gimmick by WWE standards. He's a guy who was not close friends with any guys of note on the roster when he started. And yet here he is, several years into a run that has seen him work all over the mid-card, hold the tag titles, have amusing interactions with Austin and The Rock, nearly "win" the Royal Rumble, et. He can job a thousand times and it never seems to hurt him. He stays over.

Cabana is a relatively big guy, working comedic schtick spots and "look at me I collect tapes" WoS spots. He is a guy who corrects Robert Gibson in developmental. He is a guy who publicly says that he just wanted to get his Honky Tonk Man gimmick in the WWE, so he could coast on it for years. Guy who tells the trainers he knows more than them because he's watched more tapes, guy who's look does not really match his working style or WWE fetish, guy who aspires to be comedic mid-carder....There is a big difference between a headache who is willing to do anything and a headache who is willing to do what he wants.

I just watched Santino look really good as the guy getting a little, but taking a lot more, getting his asskicked by Jack Swagger on Raw. Swagger is a guy they are trying to rebuild after tons of poor management. Meanwhile Cabana couldn't have a good squash match with Umaga a guy who was highly credible and made for the squash match.

You're comparing santinos WWE career to cabanas developmental and scotty Goldman squash matches? What does backstage politics or antics have to do with watching a match and liking a guy better? That's over analyzing it for me. I dont go as deep as that and kudos to you for doing so but I'm going strictly on aesthetics and I like watching cabana a shit ton better than watching santino. I could give two fucks about what he said to Robert Gibson or if he wants to be the honky tonk man etc

You're comparing santinos WWE career to cabanas developmental and scotty Goldman squash matches? What does backstage politics or antics have to do with watching a match and liking a guy better? That's over analyzing it for me. I dont go as deep as that and kudos to you for doing so but I'm going strictly on aesthetics and I like watching cabana a shit ton better than watching santino. I could give two fucks about what he said to Robert Gibson or if he wants to be the honky tonk man etc

You responded to my comment about Santino being in the WWE and Cabana being an indie superstar. I think it's overwhelmingly obvious that is what I was responding to.

Dylan touched on this in greater detail, but in listening to Colt on the MLW podcast and trying to listen to his own a couple times, he simply comes across as a dick. He seems to believe he is funnier and better than you, and perhaps if he could channel that into a heel persona that could cut a tv promo and back it up with a look and/or work that fit tv he'd have a place there. But he doesn't. And I don't see what he brings to the table that would add value to any tv segment, much less light the ring on fire.