Pro Wrestling Only

Rob. Van. Dam.

anarchistxx

On a side note, has anyone got the full listings for 6/9/95? Would be interested to see the rest of the card. Full show never appeared, did it? I have vague memories of Coey maybe reviewing it, but I probably made that up.

From prowrestlinghistory.com

June 9, 1995 in Tokyo, Japan

All Japan

Budokan Hall drawing 16,300 ($1,000,000)

2. Satoru Asako pinned Mike Anthony (6:58).

Why was Mike Lozansky of all people an exception to the "no foreigners who toured for smaller promotions" rule NJPW & AJPW had that kept Samoa Joe of out of NJPW years later? Unless it's a different Mike Anthony?

Hey Matt, look what I found, we had this exchange at the time:

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?s=&a...t&p=5513216

That was literally the last time I thought about RVD.

Would be interested to see if people who have been generally more pro-RVD like anarchistxx and maybe Jingus would agree with you.

Next time I buy a wrestling comp, it's that Bock on Tour one Bix apparently did that they mention at the end of that note.

Would be interested to see if people who have been generally more pro-RVD like anarchistxx and maybe Jingus would agree with you.

The amount of AWA I have got round to watching would probably struggle to fill ten discs, and it was all in 2005/2006, so I'm not really in a position to comment.

I was always a RVD supporter during his ECW TV Title run, WWE started watering down his style a short time after he got there (Im not saying they didn't push him or anything because they pushed him huge, just saying they watered down his style & performances) but once he went to TNA that & they totally killed him for me, I don't think he will be anything more than a mid-card enhancement guy to help get newer younger guy's over this time around but I guess time will tell.

Guest Staples

I was always a RVD supporter during his ECW TV Title run, WWE started watering down his style a short time after he got there (Im not saying they didn't push him or anything because they pushed him huge, just saying they watered down his style & performances) but once he went to TNA that & they totally killed him for me, I don't think he will be anything more than a mid-card enhancement guy to help get newer younger guy's over this time around but I guess time will tell.

I might be in the minority, but I don't think watering him down was that bad a thing. It certainly stopped the useless showboating.

Loved RVD as a kid. I remember that he was one of two guys I made a sign for for a WWE house show in Binghamton, NY (the other being Brock Lesnar). The more I've watched of him the less I think of him which is the opposite of Sabu right now for me. There are still some RVD matches I really enjoy but it seems less like him making a strong effort into making it work but more him and the other guy going into car crash mode without the match becoming a mess.

Oh and saw RVD vs. Sami Callihan last night. Callihan looked like he gave a damn. RVD looked like he felt good about stuffing 500+ into an American Legion. There is a problem there.

I can remember the few female posters at TSM going crazy when his ponytail fell out during that Benoit match. <_>

Anyway I was a big fan from about 96-98 but his last few years in ECW were defined by a lot masturbatory matches and spots. His matches were too long and they went overboard on commentary talking about how great he was. His WWE stuff was fun in 01 and 02 but anything past that he clearly didn't give a shit anymore. He seemed kind of whiny during this time also. Kind of like Joe became after his initial push in TNA. I think he can have a few fun programs when he returns but I doubt they will ever push him to the top again because of his age and his propensity to get in legal trouble

RVD as a base for Mark Henry or even Ryback would be ridiculously fun, he bumps for simple offence so well and those guys are also good at making conventional stuff look emphatic. They should also throw him in some wild six man tornado tags with The Shield, he thrives in that chaotic environment. RVD is all about,

a. how motivated he is

b. how he is used

If you expect him to work twenty minute standard wrestling matches it will probably be boring. Give him a sprint or something where he can go off and be creative, it will be more interesting. They should also bring back that arrogance he had to his character that they phased out from about 2002 onwards. Once you make him the usual smiling WWE face he loses the edge that made him popular in the first place. He is naturally a conceited, laid back character so it is a lot more natural when he plays himself on television.

I might be in the minority, but I don't think watering him down was that bad a thing. It certainly stopped the useless showboating.

yeah lol, well when your 15-16 years old the arrogance & showboating was cool.... now it's lame to me

• 2 weeks later...

I don't remember anything else of RVD's run in All Japan that was terribly interesting.

I recall liking him vs Kikuchi.

exception to the "no foreigners who toured for smaller promotions" rule NJPW & AJPW had that kept Samoa Joe of out of NJPW years later?

At best that was a case specific situation with Joe. Never heard it applied to AJPW before though, the story I always recall was it just being New Japan that allegedly had the issue. Either way, there were numerous times it happened before & plenty since.

Why was Mike Lozansky of all people an exception to the "no foreigners who toured for smaller promotions" rule NJPW & AJPW had that kept Samoa Joe of out of NJPW years later? Unless it's a different Mike Anthony?

Didn't know this was a hard rule. A number of folks toured with IWA before later working for All Japan or New Japan. Gladiator moved from FMW to a high profile AJPW match. Not saying it was common, but suspect we could think a bit about them and come up with some. Is this an 00s rule?

I was reading along with the '91 Observers while watching the Yearbook, and Dave mentioned that the Japan Big Two had a policy of not poaching talent from the existing indy promotions, and that guys who took tours with W*ING and FMW and the like risked not being able to get booked with a bigger company.

Maybe it was some sort of response to SWS and it dried up when that closed up shop.

No, it was a perception thing. At least in the more modern example with Joe it was common to hear NJPW felt NJPW had "the stench of Zero-One" or "the taint of Zero-One" or something like that. I talked to TJ Perkins about it a fair bit in the recent podcast we did. It definitely goes back to at least the beginning of the modern Indy era in Japan: As Pete alluded to, some of the USWA guys who toured with W*ING in '91 killed legit All Japan prospects that they had on the table.

Obviously there are exceptions, like Gladiator (came in during AJPW/FMW relationship), Sabu (in demand cult star), Jericho (came to NJPW via WCW), but Lozansky isn't exactly the type of guy they'd make exceptions for.