Pro Wrestling Only

Jim Breaks

ohtani's jacket

Jim Breaks vs. Jon Cortez (2/2/81)

As a match for pure schtick, comedy, outrageous heat, world class heel character work, this is a total showcase for Breaks and would be a fantastic entry point for the uninitiated. I mean if you've never watched a Breaks match, I'd watch this one first. All the other elements are there: the nasty limbwork, some neat touches from the opposition, Cortez, who looks a decent worker. But this is like 98% showing you the greatness of Breaks.

It's not quite the psychological or technical duel that his matches with Saint are, Cortez seems a bit more outmatched for some reason, and the finish kinda caught me by surprise. But the crowd was so hot for this, and I really loved it. Breaks cements himself as an all-timer every time I see him.

****1/2

Jim Breaks vs Grasshopper Johnson (03/23/83)

Grasshopper Johnson is bald and doesn't wear any boots. Weird look. And ... He's not by good at all. Breaks is always incredibly entertaining though, with his constant jawing, but I think this match shows that he does need an at least competent opponent for the match to be simply more than entertaining.

Jim Breaks vs. Kamakazi (10/7/81)

Breaks seems to have a lot of matches with complete no names. Kamakazi is a masked guy and another sub-par talent. Breaks, once again, supremely entertaining throughout but he might as ell be in there with a broom stick. Post-match is super fun here though as Breaks takes an uber cheap win after the masked man injures himself and then e ring announcer sort of gaudy him and rubs it in. For pure heel character work I don't know if I've ever seen better than Breaks. I feel I'm repeating myself a lot on that point, but he's off-the-charts good at that stuff.

*1/2

It could just be because I have awful taste but the only two guys I really got into from WoS was Jim Breaks and Catweazle. Catweazle because he just entertains the heck out of me although I'm not sure I'd even go so far to call him "good".

Jim Breaks on the other hand stood out to me from the very first time I saw him as an all time great. Just a FANTASTIC heel, great interactions with the crowd, always keeps things interesting. I can't imagine anyone that gives him a fair look NOT placing him somewhere in their 100 GWE list.

Is there anyone who DOESN'T like Jim Breaks?

I don't mean that to sound combative, I'm genuinely asking. Even if someone had other British workers above him or didn't put him on their GWE ballot, it seems that everyone who has watched him and mentioned him at least "gets" his appeal and enjoys him. He seems to have universal appeal. Are there any dissenting voices?

Jim Breaks vs. Kamakazi (10/7/81)

Breaks seems to have a lot of matches with complete no names. Kamakazi is a masked guy and another sub-par talent. Breaks, once again, supremely entertaining throughout but he might as ell be in there with a broom stick. Post-match is super fun here though as Breaks takes an uber cheap win after the masked man injures himself and then e ring announcer sort of gaudy him and rubs it in. For pure heel character work I don't know if I've ever seen better than Breaks. I feel I'm repeating myself a lot on that point, but he's off-the-charts good at that stuff.

*1/2

With the exception of Breaks' match against Peter Bainbridge, the Kamakazi one is the worst I've seen involving him. I'll dig up my reviews when I've a bit of time and add them to the thread.

Kamakazi vs Jim Breaks (10.07.81)

Breaks starts before the bell has even rung, annoyed that Kamakazi was introduced first he informs MC Brian Crabtree that as he is a champion shouldn't he be introduced first? Kent Walton informs us that Kamazaki is oriental, when he is in fact a masked Maurice Hunter. This is probably one of the worst matches that I have seen involving Breaks and I can only put that down to Kamakazi, who has some nice spots but that is pretty much it. Masked wrestlers were quite a novelty over here, but even that can't disguise how bland and boring Kamakazi is. A round is edited out and as the bout is tied at one fall apiece, Kamakazi takes a tumble to the floor appearing to have fallen between the top and middle ropes as he tries to come off them. The match at that point is then stopped with Kamakazi unable to continue, a lacklustre finish to what was a lacklustre match in general. The highlight is probably after the bout when referee Jeff Kaye points out Kamakazi did injure himself and it was nothing to do with Jim Breaks, and in this instance the opponent has the option of accepting the decision (ie taking the win) or refusing it (so the bout is declared a no contest). Crabtree asks Breaks what he wants to do, and in a heartbeat he accepts the win.

Jim Breaks vs Sammy Lee (07.15.81)

Breaks is sporting a silver jacket with the words 'CHAMP' on the back and shoves Lee during the referee's instructions. Lee starts skipping and bouncing around the ring which doesn't impress Breaks; some flashy kicks, a backflip and someone from the crowd yells 'sort him out Sammy', which receives a 'shut yer mouth' response from Breaks. A super quick leg trip takedown from Lee, an Indian Deathlock and Breaks crawls to the ropes for the release. He gets up and points his finger to Lee whilst mouthing off at him. Breaks again has resort to grabbing the ropes to break a Lee submission, and then he's not happy when in his eyes Lee doesn't break the hold quickly enough. Towards the end of the round he's looking for the Breaks Special and starts to bend the rules, punching and hair pulling behind the referee's back. The cheating continues into the next round, but as he's choking Lee on the ropes he tries to propel him backwards to the canvas but Lee pulls out a backflip, Mongolian chops and a folding press for the pin. The crowd starts chanting 'easy, easy', which does little to ease Breaks' temper. Breaks opens the next round with yet more closed fists to the face behind the referee's back, this time Lee retaliates finally having enough of Breaks' persistent rule breaking. Closed fists to the face of Breaks, forearms, a dropkick and then an uppercut, but because he didn't allow Breaks to get back to his feet he gets the first public warning of the match. The crowd aren't happy, Lee turns his back on Breaks giving him the advantage he needed to drag Lee down and get the equalizing fall. The ref finally catches Breaks in the next round giving him his first public warning. He tries to post Lee, who runs up the turnbuckles and does a backflip, unloads with rapid fire kicks, chops, a reverse kick before getting a folding press for the pin. As Brian Crabtree is about to announce the result, Breaks goes 'what about the kicking Crabtree?', and then challenges Lee saying he'll wrestle him for money.

This was a very fun sprint, not a great match per se, but highly enjoyable, entertaining and a ton of fun for what it was.

Jim Breaks vs Jackie Turpin (06.05.82)

This match was fought under slightly different rules as there were no rounds, just a straight 20 minute match with two falls required to be declared the victor. The focus here was Breaks working on Turpin's arm in all manner of ways to try and soften him up for the Breaks Special submission. All sorts of bending and manipulation of the arm and wrist the wrong way, 'snapping' them, even tying Turpin's arm up in the ropes to weaken it, then weakening it even more under the guise that he was trying to untangle the said arm. Intermixed are some obligatory Breaks mouthing off at the crowd with one woman shouting 'get his ears Jackie' to which Breaks responds 'shut your fat mouth!', and some rule breaking behind the refs back. Turpin gets the first fall after Breaks riles him up with an open handed slap, the angered Turpin goes after Breaks who then proceeds to drop to his knee, gets up and then does this a second time. Breaks then catches him with a head mare, Turpin at this point drops to his knees, Breaks looks to Max Ward and whilst he's not paying attention Turpin gets him with the folding press pin. Breaks equalizes sharpish after the resumption, going back to working the arm and getting the submission with his signature move. At one fall each Breaks again focuses on the arm and for a second time applies the Breaks Special, however Turpin holds out and Breaks has to put him down as he an no longer keep him lifted turning it into a hammerlock. Turpin escapes then runs off the ropes and goes for a flying cross body, though Breaks ducks and Turpin goes sailing over the top rope to the floor in a great bump. Usually when anyone takes a bump to the floor it is usually match over (see Haystacks vs Daddy) and potential injury angle (see Rocco vs Dynamite), yet to my surprise Turpin managed to beat the count and get back in the ring. Breaks charges at him, Turpin sidesteps him and rolls him up for the three count and the win. Breaks is clearly not happy and proceeds to attack Turpin on a couple of occasions after the match.

This was a real good TV bout, with a surprise ending that I wasn't really expecting both in Turpin beating the count after the bump to the floor and then getting the win over Breaks.

Jim Breaks vs Kung Fu (09.03.86)

Referee Peter Szakacs gives both men their instructions and as soon as Kung Fu turns his back, Breaks grabs him and rams his head into the turnbuckle. Fu was having none of that and goes over to Breaks' corner and does the same to him. He opens quickly, then Breaks grabs the wrist and takes Fu down with it, working it over and 'snapping' it before telling someone in the crowd to 'shut yer mouth'. Leg dive from Breaks and he starts on Fu's ankle. The abuse from the crowd continues and this time he tells someone to 'get a big pillow for that mouth of yours'. He lets go of the ankle to continue arguing with the ringsiders, steps with one leg between the ropes but Fu is up and kicks it before dragging Breaks along by his ears and ramming his head into the turnbuckle. Fu turns his back, Breaks charges at him but is met with a chop to the head. He steps out of the ring and onto the apron and as Kent Walton stands up, Breaks tells him to sit back down. Walton says that Breaks has never forgiven him for when in one bout he informed the referee about Breaks' cheating and grabbing the trunks to get a fall! Round two is cut from the broadcast, but as the third is about to start two members of the audience try to goad and bait Breaks, dancing and gesturing at ringside (although the one old chap appears to be drunk more than anything) and he responds with 'I pay tax for you?'. Breaks works on Fu's wrist, but he grabs Breaks' ear and nose with his bare feet. Breaks tosses him out of the ring and when he's back on the apron tries to ram his head into the post. Fu blocks it and it's Breaks' head that meets the turnbuckle. Fu climbs up to the top rope, leaps at Breaks but he ducks out the way yelling 'I'm not stupid' whilst pointing to his head, though seconds later gets schoolboyed for the first fall. He returns back to his corner, but gives Fu a dig in the stomach as he passes him then someone from the crowd hands him a dummy. He's not impressed, 'this should not be happening Mr Walton!'. Down one fall in the contest, Breaks starts the next round by saying 'Look, lets wrestle. If you can't trust me who can you trust?', which brings roars of laughter from Kent Walton. They shake hands but Breaks pulls him in and lands a punch to the face. Szakacs thinks that there was something suspicious with the shot, but Breaks swears that it was an open hand telling him 'you just be careful who you're talking to, I was a European champion!'. Nerve and pressure hold by Fu, and when Breaks tries to charge the unsuspecting Fu he's met with another chop. Breaks with a headlock and he tells the cameraman to 'get that camera on me whilst I'm on top'. He gives Fu's nose a quick yank after the bell has rung, but insists it was 'on the bell'. Round five and he is arguing with everyone and tells Fu 'don't you be saying to me I rabbit'. Arm lever by Fu and he turns it into an orthodox double arm lock, however at this point he leans back to the canvas, puts his feet round the front of Breaks and starts rubbing his nipples with his feet (I kid you not!). As expected this angers Breaks and he ties Fu's arm up in the ropes, then tightens them under the pretense of that he's trying to release him. Someone from the crowd shouts 'Breaks you s___house', and he then apologies to them! He applies the Breaks special immediately for the submission, and the drops Fu on the tope rope when he releases the hold. Arm wringer by Fu is met with a punch to the mid-section from Breaks, and at this point Fu has had enough of Breaks' cheating. He goes on the offense before Breaks stops him with another punch right in front of the referee this time, and gets a second and final public warning. Whilst the MC is announcing the public warning, he applies the special again and Szakacs taps him on the shoulder. Breaks celebrates thinking that he has got the second fall and won the match, but he is in fact disqualified for continuing the attack after the public warning.

This is the Jim Breaks show and is a fantastic one man performance from him. Fu's offense is incredibly lame, and I have no idea in the slightest what he was even attempting at that one point when he had the double arm lock applied. I'd put this up there with the Cortez bout from '76 as the perfect introduction to anyone for what Breaks is about. Not sure off the top of my head what is left for Breaks after this (bar the already watched Bainbridge bout), but probably his last great televised bout. Enjoyed this one immensely.

Is there anyone who DOESN'T like Jim Breaks?

eaks

I don't mean that to sound combative, I'm genuinely asking. Even if someone had other British workers above him or didn't put him on their GWE ballot, it seems that everyone who has watched him and mentioned him at least "gets" his appeal and enjoys him. He seems to have universal appeal. Are there any dissenting voices?

I remember Ditch saying if you've seen one Breaks match, you've seen them all, though I kind of doubt he'd seen them all. He was a fan of Breaks, though. The Wrestling Channel footage is only really half of the Breaks that's available but it's the most easily accessible.

• 2 months later...

Jim Breaks vs. Steve Grey (2/16/83)

This was another chapter in the prolific Breaks/Grey rivalry. The thing I like the most about watching Breaks vs. Grey or Saint is that the bout suddenly takes on a serious tone you don't get from a lot of other Breaks bouts. Because they were almost always feuding over a title, there was an edge to Breaks' matches with Grey and Saint that set them apart from his regular television appearances. This was joined in progress and Grey was already fired up over something. I've argued in the past that Grey is one of the best fired-up baby faces ever. The only guy I can think of who rivals Grey is Tito Santana. But then I tend to think Grey is impeccable all round. Breaks was awesome here. I doubt there's ever been a mouthy heel quite as good as Breaks. It was Breaks' turn to go over here, which the crowd didn't particularly want to see, but he pulled it off with his usual aplomb. I particularly loved him reminding the crowd of the name of his finisher. "That's the Jim Breaks Special!" Indeed.

• 1 month later...

I love Jim Breaks, especially for in-ring reasons, but also because I always think you can walk into any pub in Yorkshire (or Lancashire, for that matter) and still find a jumped up hard as fuck little bastard with a massive chip on his shoulder about being passed over or belittled somehow... spill his pint or interrupt him mid anecdote at your peril, but he'll scarper as soon as an onlooker sees him bashing your face off a table and calls the police and he'll run home screaming about the terrible injustice done to him when its his own fault for being a repressed little hardnut with anger management issues.

See also Mark Rocco.

As someone from Northern England and someone who drinks in pubs a lot, I love that.

I see a Jim Breaks every weekend.