Shoots Review and Preview thread

BruiserBrody

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/12/2020 at 12:33 PM, BruiserBrody said:

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/shoot-interviews-reviewed-jim-brunzel/

My review from 7(!) years ago for those interested. 

"Brunzell faded into retirement in the mid 90’s and is now selling toilet paper in Minnesota."

If he's still doing this, I imagine he has suddenly become a lot richer and more successful. :)

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I listened to the Renee podcast with Flair.
Flair says he was recently so hammered he wasn't allowed on a plane. He also paid to keep a bar open so Renee/Moxley and himself could keep drinking. The night ended with him falling in his hotel room in a drunken haze.
Flair's wants to keep bumping and is annoyed WWE wouldn't let him do anything other than stand in the ring.
Flair's doc cleared him to bump. He has a pacemaker but the doctor told him the longer he has it in that the more the muscle grows around it and keeps it locked in place.
Flair's ex-wife Tiffany watched a show on the History channel and became convinced Flair had "the gene" that prevents him from getting AIDS and STDs.
Flair has his own wine coming out in October.
Ric does his usual spiel about not being able to tell all the 4 Horsemen sex stories because Arn is still married, as if Arn's wife wouldn't be able to read between the lines of a comment like that.
Flair laughs at the "Plane Ride from Hell" and is ready to come back on the pod and clear his name.
Tony Khan texted Flair and said he was going to "Naitch" it up for his birthday a few years ago. Khan blew 8 grand. So the next 3 years Tony sent Flair 8 grand to celebrate instead.

---

Lawler did a pod on the Plane ride a few years ago too:

Lawler's take starts around 28 min mark.

- Lawler was sober as he doesn't touch alcohol.
- He says JR was drunk early in the ride, so he lost control of the situation.
- Jerry Brisco was also drunk and trying to kiss everyone as a happy drunk.
- HHH and Finlay broke up the Brock/Hennig fight.
- As expected Lawler laughs as he talks about Dustin's singing and spittin' stories and Flair's naked adventures ("Ric was just having a good time, jeez")
- Lawler doesn't recall Linda being on the plane so he can't confirm that Hayes almost pissed on her. Lawler says Hayes was ready to fight Brisco as he thought Brisco had cut his pony tail.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 9/27/2022 at 3:19 PM, AA484 said:

I really never watched the Timelines until just recently and I mostly enjoy them. Kind of disappointing if he is done with them because they only had a couple of years left for both WWF and WCW.

I love the ECW series, those are outstanding.

The first one covering 92/93 with Tod Gordon is especially great, there are some hilarious stories in there, plus he provides great insight into the founding of ECW, before Paul Heyman even showed up. He also dispels a few ECW myths too. The only negative about that interview, is that Gordon mumbles and mutters and talks really fast at times, so it’s hard to understand him.

94 features Shane Douglas and it is also excellent. Douglas is eloquent and well spoken and he has a good memory and is pretty insightful. I liked that one a lot.

The 96 year in review is pretty good, but not as good as those first two I mentioned. Raven is the guest. He is really funny and offers some interesting insights into his time in ECW but his memory is terrible so there is a lot he doesn’t remember, or he gets confused. Plus he tends to go off topic a fair bit, he is very easily distracted. He himself actually attributes some of that stuff to his excessive drug and alcohol use during the time covered by this interview.

I thought the 1997 interview with Sabu was great. He has loosened up a lot over the years and is way more communicative than he used to be. I get the impression that his attitude is that he doesn’t really like talking about himself or backstage stuff, but if he is getting paid to do it he will try his best. Keep in mind he has a slight stammer and obviously has social anxiety, but I still love his interviews and this one was great. The only negative thing I could say is that I think he tended to live in his own little bubble and I think his perspective on some things may not be the same as you would get from other people in the locker room. Still a great interview.

The 1998 episode with New Jack is surprisingly subdued for New Jack. He might be high during this interview (it would not surprise me) but he’s definitely not taking anything that gets him all amped up like you sometimes see with him in a Shoot interview. This is not screaming, threatening, can’t stay in his chair New Jack. Much like with Sabu, New Jack tended to only see things from his perspective and how they affected him. Douglas and Raven were able to look at things as they affected ECW overall whereas Sabu and New Jack only looked at things as they affected them…but it’s still a great interview. The JYD story is a highlight.

The 1999 interview with RVD is surprisingly good. For a guy who smokes as much pot as he does, he actually has a great memory  (much better than Raven and New Jack) and RVD seems to enjoy the interview and gives some great answers and insight.

The 2000/2001 interview with Justin Credible is what it is. This covers ECW during it’s death throes, so it’s kind of depressing. Also, Justin Credible is kind of a divisive figure with ECW fans because a lot of people tended to point to his push to the Main Event as a sign the company was going down in flames. YMMV on this one, but it held my interest and I didn’t hate it. He seems like a nice enough guy, and he’s a decent interview.

The only negative thing I can say about the Kayfabe Commentaries ECW timeline series is that the 1995 interview with Sandman is a trainwreck and a total waste of time. He’s very obviously drunk and/or fucked up on something during this interview. Look at his face. I don’t like to lob accusations about somebody being on meth, but in this case…

I’m not convinced that he would have been a good interview even if he was stone cold sober, but we’ll never know. Literally no interesting or insightful answers here. This really pissed me off because 1995 was a big year for ECW and this interview was a lost opportunity. I wish Sean Oliver would redo this one with Mick Foley. They did such a great job covering the entire lifetime of ECW but this one isolated interview was a missed opportunity.

The 1995 episode is somewhat infamous because Sean Oliver sat there trying to conduct the 90 minute interview with a clearly incapacitated Sandman, only to discover that the asshole had literally left his kids waiting in a hot car the whole time.

• 1 year later...