Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestler/Actor

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
5 hours ago, peachchaos said:

Are there any really strong Duane Johnson performances where he sort of surpasses expectations? The closest I can think of is Southland Tales, which wasn't exactly my cup of tea but Rock was entertaining enough.

The movie itself was horrible, but Dwayne Johnson was great in "Pain & Gain."

On 8/24/2018 at 6:54 AM, C.S. said:

The movie itself was horrible, but Dwayne Johnson was great in "Pain & Gain."

That would be No Pain No Gain. Which is also the only worthwhile movie Micheal Bay ever did (which is a miracle in and of itself, it's kinda like those great Goldust vignettes that Russo produced).

7 hours ago, El-P said:

That would be No Pain No Gain. Which is also the only worthwhile movie Micheal Bay ever did (which is a miracle in and of itself, it's kinda like those great Goldust vignettes that Russo produced).

It's listed as Pain & Gain on IMDb and was released that way in the U.S. theatrically. Did it get released in other countries with a different name? 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1980209/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Edit: From IMDbAlso Known As (AKA) France    No pain no gain

Either way, we'll have to disagree on how worthwhile it is. I do think there's a good movie in there somewhere, but the one we got is bloated and downright boring IMO. Dwayne is great in it though. 

You can read my full thoughts here, if you're interested: https://www.silverscreensurprises.com/2013/08/review-pain-gain.html

As for Michael Bay, I was going to say I quite liked Con-Air - but that isn't one of his. Oops! His filmography does absolutely nothing for me.

20 minutes ago, C.S. said:

It's listed as Pain & Gain on IMDb and was released that way in the U.S. theatrically. Did it get released in other countries with a different name? 

Well, it was released as No Pain No Gain in France. Another case of French distributors using a different English title instead of keeping the original one or translating it (which very seldom happens now). Often it's way more absurd than this one.

Of course it's bloated, it's still Micheal fucking Bay. :)

19 hours ago, flyonthewall2983 said:

I liked Johnson a lot in the Jumanji sequel. He does a good job at acting surprised at how bad-ass he is, which is perfect for the story it tries to tell. 

I think he has really shined in these comedic roles. He's also hilarious in Central Intelligence.

Baywatch, not so much - but that was okay for what it was...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/23/2018 at 4:16 PM, peachchaos said:

Are there any really strong Duane Johnson performances where he sort of surpasses expectations? The closest I can think of is Southland Tales, which wasn't exactly my cup of tea but Rock was entertaining enough.

My roommate cried during Rampage. It was quite a moment.

• 8 months later...

Roman Reigns appears in the first scene of The Wrong Missy, a Netflix move from Happy Madison.

I was going to skip this one and - if you're not a fan of the Happy Madison brand of comedy - I'd tell most people to skip it too, but my wife and I chuckled more than a couple of times. Lauren Lapkas is the real lead with David Spade playing the straight man (which is what he does best anyway, see Tommy Boy and Black Sheep) and, if you're ever heard her on the podcast Comedy Bang Bang, you know she can be really funny. She deserves better than this, no doubt, but she also gets to be batshit insane and silly and ultra-vulgar and that means there are actually laughs to be had.

Anyway, long story short, Happy Madison has a history of casting pro-wrestlers (Captain Insano, anyone?) so Reigns getting in there is a good step towards a more permanent jump to Hollywood even in a straight-to-Netflix movie. Also, if you're a fan of Lauren Lapkas and want to watch a brainless comedy, The Wrong Missy somehow managed to surpass my (admittedly very, very low) expectations.

• 3 years later...