Pro Wrestling Only

Need match suggestion help

goodhelmet

Tanahashi/Suzuki is way long though.

For All Japan, I'm not sure Misawa vs Kawada 1/99 is the best bet. Hansen vs Kawada 2/93, Hansen vs Kobashi 7/93, Misawa vs Kawada 7/95, Misawa vs Kobashi 10/97 are all action-packed and much more solid. The latter has a ton of bombs without much downtime.

re: Funk vs Hansen, it's the '83 match on the AJ set you want. '82 match is also darn good but not quite as epic.

For MPro, you can't go wrong with These Days, but the ECW tag and the 10/10/97 6-man are shorter and also very fun.

More Japan possibilities:

-Funaki vs Nakano from the Other Japan set. Compact and intense.

-Can-Ams vs Kobashi/Kikuchi

-Ishikawa vs Ikeda from Futen in April 2005. Off-the-charts-stiff and IIRC is under 15 minutes.

-One of the multi-way trio matches from Toryumon: 7/7/02, 7/14/02, 8/30/03. The latter is the best.

-Hashimoto vs Tenryu from G-1 '98

Vader vs. Inoki from 96

One of those Awesome-Tanaka matches, maybe? The Heat Wave one stands out to me.

An El Samurai J-Crown Title match from his run. They were all crazy and fun and short.

I second the Hansen-Andre match.

There was that great Blue Panther-Negro Casas sub 8 minute match last year that ruled.

Old man Tenryu! Don't have a particular match in mind.

Hashimoto-Tenryu from G1 1998.

Finlay-Tajiri from SMASH would be a good addition.

I don't think Tajiri/Finlay would get over in that sort of setting because it's a match that takes some investment.

That Panther/Casas Lightning Match could really work, BUT it's not the best example of Lucha. A part of me says pick a mini's match as those are all easily digestible and potential gateway drugs.

Jeff Jarrett vs Billy Joe Travis (USWA 01/26/90, Guitar on a Pole Match)

Ric Flair, Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard vs Sting, Lex Luger & Barry Windham (NWA Main Event 04/03/88)

Lightning Kid vs Jerry Lynn (PWA 04/90)

Vader vs Sting (WCW Great American Bash 07/12/92)

Great Sasuke vs Jinsei Shinzaki (Michinoku Pro 04/29/94)

Ric Flair vs Ron Garvin (NWA World Championship Wrestling 12/28/85)

Kenta Kobashi & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi vs Doug Furnas & Dan Kroffat (AJPW 05/25/92)

Bret Hart & Davey Boy Smith vs Owen Hart & Bob Backlund (WWF Action Zone 02/26/95)

Samoa Joe vs Necro Butcher (IWA Mid South 06/11/05)

Cien Caras, Máscara Año 2000 & Sangre Chicana vs Konnan el Barbaro, Perro Aguayo & El Rayo de Jalisco Jr, CMLL 03/01/92

A crazy brawl that goes into the crowd and the place is hot all match.

Santo vs La Parka Monterrey 2001

Total blood bath and one of the best matches in 2001.

Black Terry/Shu El Guerrero/Jose Luis Feliciano/El Texano/Ricky Boy v. Robin Hood/Los Ninja Turtles UWF 9/12/91

One of my favorite Lucha matches ever and one I would show to introduce someone to the style.

Awesome, definitely curious to see what works.

Tanahashi/Suzuki is definitely long, as are some other picks I'd throw out from Japan including Liger/Samurai 4/30/92 and Jumbo/Tenryu '89, but they strike me as easily accessible.

Originally I thought you might want to go for things with either great production (modern WWE) or insane crowds Joe/Kobashi, but it sounds like this crowd has more than a cursory background. Funk/Hansen should fit right in and I agree with Sean Mooney that Jumbo/Tenryu vs. Choshu/Yatsu from '86 is a great fit, but that may just be natural biases.

There has to be a place for some ECW madness, whether its Tajiri, Raven/Richards vs. Pitbulls 2/3 falls or a match/angle involving Raven & Dreamer. Tough not to at least get engaged by the heat there.

These guys are hardcore fans with no internet recognition or PPV purchases since probably 2002. They probably have never seen any indy matches that have been popular on the internet for the past 10 years.

If you need newer matches as well, I think the best TNA match would be the AJ Styles vs Abyss cage match from Lockdown 2005. Or else AJ/Joe from Turning Point 2005. You could even throw in something like the first Joe/Angle match, which isn't great but is quick and super exciting.

Cena/Umaga is a no-brainer for modern WWE. Cena/Lesnar too.

From PWG there's a London/Generico vs Bucks vs Cutler Bros Guerrilla Warfare match from July 2010 that is a pretty insane, balls out spotfest.

Which M-Pro multi-man match should I throw in? These Days? ECW PPV? Another one?

Great Sasuke, Masato Yakashiji, Norino Hoshikawa, Gran Hamada & Super Delfin vs. TAKA Michinoku, Dick Togo, Men's Teioh, Shiryu & Sho Funaki (M-Pro 12/1/96)

It's on Schneider 4. This was my first MPro match I saw. It's pretty much a showcase, so it doesn't take long to get going.

Actually for Texas I'm not sure Gordy v. Khan is the best pick. I'd probably go with the Kerry v. Hayes LLT Cage Match

I think I agree with this. However, these guys have been watching wrestling since the early 80s. I am not worried about them getting into old school stuff because they have been watching their entire lives. The Japanese and Lucha stuff is completely new to them though. These guys are hardcore fans with no internet recognition or PPV purchases since probably 2002. They probably have never seen any indy matches that have been popular on the internet for the past 10 years.

You could even throw in the Von Erichs-Freebirds six-man tag Lumberjack Match. That was a fun one, and when you throw in the lumberjacks it was a who's who of the roster at the time. Lots of 80s nostalgia in that one.