Pro Wrestling Only

Best and Worst Strikes

DR Ackermann

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought Harley Race threw a good punch. It wasn't quick, just looked very crisp. He also threw it different, more from the top with a downward slice.

To me it always looked like Harley was trying to get hardway juice with those angled shots of his.

I can agree with that. He did seem to be aiming at the brow.

• 2 months later...

Just conversed with Rip Rogers on Twitter, and he seems to think Lanny Poffo had the best punch of all time.

"To perfect in wrestling- watch Lanny Poffo punch on u tube- best right hand I ever saw!!! Learn to chop overhand and regular- learn jabs -"

When I quizzed him asking what about Bret and Lawler his response was:

"Bret hart had a slide off the head punch - punch on the top of the head was phony - u hurt ur own hand, Lawler has great punch - not as good as Lannys - don't confuse projection or being a star as being good."

I have never noticed Poffo's punches as been amazing or anything, I may need to re-watch some of his stuff and see if I pick up on his punches. He did, to be fair raise a good point about Bret hitting the top of the head.

That's more reasoned out that you'd expect.

From more recent viewing, I think DiBiase threw very good punches. Punching was kind of ingrained into his black glove gimmick. On a good day, I even wonder if they were better than Terry Funk's. He seems to have learned his punching style from him.

On another note: who threw the meanest european uppercut? Dory? Regal? Rotunda?

From more recent viewing, I think DiBiase threw very good punches. Punching was kind of ingrained into his black glove gimmick. On a good day, I even wonder if they were better than Terry Funk's. He seems to have learned his punching style from him.

Pretty much everyone threw decent European uppercuts *in* Europe, but Rudge, Roberts, Steele, Singh, Roach, Kilby and Finlay could have formed a nice forearm smash club.

I just dislike punches in general. For a start the closed fist is an illegal move. You can't safely follow through with it like you can with a chop, forearm or kick. So very often the punch is making barely any contact at all and appears phony. A match reliant on two guys throwing weak looking right hands is a huge turn off to me. Stylistically it's one of the things I dislike most about a lot of US wrestling. No stiffness, no skill and no artistry.

I just dislike punches in general. For a start the closed fist is an illegal move. You can't safely follow through with it like you can with a chop, forearm or kick. So very often the punch is making barely any contact at all and appears phony. A match reliant on two guys throwing weak looking right hands is a huge turn off to me. Stylistically it's one of the things I dislike most about a lot of US wrestling. No stiffness, no skill and no artistry.

Surely the skill (and art, if you want to go that far), is in making it look good without it actually being too stiff?

Surely the skill (and art, if you want to go that far), is in making it look good without it actually being too stiff?

Stiffness is all about appearance to me as a viewer. How safe and painful the move actually is, that's an issue between the wrestlers.

My issue with punches is that it's hard to make them appear stiff. For a strike based match to engage me then the moves need to appear like they might hurt. Watching so much historic puroresu has set my perceptions as a viewer for this. You rarely see punches because they look weak compared with other forms of striking. A lot of US wrestling over the years just has guys using some weak strikes and a few signature moves. It's such a lazy, shallow, limiting style.

Pretty much everyone threw decent European uppercuts *in* Europe, but Rudge, Roberts, Steele, Singh, Roach, Kilby and Finlay could have formed a nice forearm smash club.

I always thought Dave Taylor threw the best European Uppercuts from that bunch, they always really stood out in his matches.

• 4 years later...

I love Sami Callihan's kicks. He puts the right body language behind them so they look vicious.

Yeah, just watched him in PWG BOLA '12 and his face kicks are absolutely brutal. Really all of his strikes are on point because of how he puts his whole body into them...genuinely looks like he's trying for a KO.

On another point, I always thought Jumbo's stomps were pretty great. And am a big fan of Nigel's throat thrust & SUWAMA's double hand chop. Those are something you don't see everyday.