Pro Wrestling Only

Best of Japan 2000-2009 vote

Ditch

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant believe Meltzer rated the 2004 KENTAFuji/Misawa&Ogawa tag at only 3.5 stars. Not only did I love the match, but from what I gathered about Meltzer it seemed up his alley. KENTAFuji has not been as bad as I expected, but I am watching the cream of the crop of their matches. To me at least KENTA >>>> Marufuji.

Fully agree that match is in my top ten so far love the struggle it takes for KENTAFuji to even get in any kind of offense and KENTA turning into Kawada for a few minutes with Misawa and the crowd going crazy for it is great really don't know what Meltzer was watching.

Hashimoto/Iizuka vs. Ogawa/Murakami NJPW 1/4/00

This is as awesome as I remember it being. 100% fight with several near-riots. Oh fuck yes.

Ohtani/Takaiwa © vs. Kanemoto/Tanaka 6/25/00 IWGP Jr. Tag Titles

Narrative is pretty simple for the first 12 minutes. Ohtani/Takaiwa are dicks. And they like slapping the piss out of Kanemoto. Kanemoto takes the challenge and feels he is dickish enough to trump both of them and outslap both of them. Tanaka joins the slapping party and it turns into a beat the shit out of each other contest. Finishing run is really hot, if a bit of a departure from early match stuff.

SUWA vs. Dragon Kid Toryumon 8/24/00

So Dragon Kid is 95% flippy shit. Some of it is impressive flippy shit, but come on, man. Develop some normal offense. How does the Toryumon ref have a job? Every Toryumon match I watch, the heels are pulling illegal shit right in front of his eyes, but they point the opposite direction at somebody over on the apron or at ringside and he SPRINGS INTO ACTION TO STOP THE DANGER OF THE MATCH BEING COMPROMISED BY INTERFERENCE! Glad he does such a good job of that. They really, really needed to find a better way of dealing with that than they did. SUWA as asskicker heel is pretty good. His late match offense that builds to his really big nearfall/finishers is pretty incredible. His 75% cheap heat act early is a little tired, but he brings it late. Also, very good at bumping around when he needs to be.

Hansen/Mossman vs. Kawada/Tenryu 7/23/00

This is the first time I have seen this. Mossman/Kea seems to have figured out how to make his strikes look like they mean it. And he's showing a ton of fire, which is nice. I have this feeling most of the people watching these matches are familiar with the other 3. Right off the bat Hansen and Tenryu are eyeing each other up like they want to get it on before the intros. And once Tenryu is tagged in he goes straight for illegal man Hansen. Awesomeness ensues and the brawl is on. Kawada disregarding Mossman's offense with one counts is a little on the iffy side, but the crowd seems to not buy into it either so it works. Finishing run is marred by some blown spots on double teams, but crowd is still hot and the match is still very, very good.

I still think the NJPW shoot tag is absolutely amazing for the execution and the booking. I'd put that at least top 20 at this point, with the AJPW and NJ juniors tags somewhere under that. SUWA/DK is probably not going to make my ballot.

Nakamura was legit hurt in the '07 G-1 semifinal, which he was supposed to win. If he had then won the final, they would have done Nagata vs Nakamura in October. I suspect that was the plan.

I remember that well. They'd just done a Tanahashi vs Nagata IWGP match before the G1. Then when Nakamura got legit KO'd in the SF they had to go with a Tanahashi vs Nagata G1 Final. And because the G1 winner gets a title shot then the next IWGP match had to be, you guessed it, Tanahashi vs Nagata for a 3rd time! So that's how you know Shinsuke sure as hell wasn't meant to lose that match. Fortunately he'd still be around 4 years later for his long overdue G1 triumph.

So looking at 2002 a lot of the matches look like they are gonna be hard to get through. Definitely looking forward to the Liger tags in NOAH, but most of the rest looks really, really questionable. Especially the Nagata stuff. I am trying so hard to like Nagata, but it's not coming.

• 1 month later...

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It seems like some of the highlighted matches are as much for name value as anything else. Others are more the "big" company main event type matches where Nishimura vs. Saito from MUGA just seems way less mainstream, even if I think it's better.

I feel like I come off as a grumpy old bastard in most of them. Then again, most of what I watch seems...excessive beyond where it is acceptable. I have ideas on how that came to be, but that's a different thread I have planned for after the whole thing is done. Need to set aside about an hour to do something specific and then work off of that to put all my thoughts in order on the matter. Will certainly send my ballot your way.

To those of you who are watching everything: do you notice a significant difference in quality between the highlighted and non-highlighted matches?

Most of the very best matches are included in the highlighted stuff, but I don't see much difference between say, the bottom half of the highlighted stuff and the non-highlighted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That first KENTA/Nakajima match is one of the most infuriating matches I have ever seen. The first 30 minutes were fantastic. I wold argue match of the decade contender based on the trajectory. So many interesting match storylines, great work and pacing. Then the last 15 minutes is just typical 00s finish garbage. Fuck, so disappointing.