Pro Wrestling Only

Andre the Giant

slabinski611

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andre vs Flair sounds like the best thing ever! Settling for the second best thing Piper vs Andre

Andre The Giant vs "Rowdy" Roddy Piper - Philly 9/1/84

With Snuka out of action, Piper went around the horn with Andre for a couple month. Does it get better than the obnoxious piss-ant, Roddy Piper going up against the invincible Giant. I bet a lot people paid good money to see Andre tear into Piper. Piper does a good job protecting himself. He definitely lets himself get thrown around and gives the people what they want without being squashed. Eye-rakes, wrist tape and even going blow by blow with The Giant. Andre was great at ignoring the rules and just throwing everything at Piper whether to was belt shots or wrist tape. I wish this would happen more often now. Piper flees the scene after a big boot over the top rope to lose via countout. Entertaining bout.

• 10 months later...

Was watching the Giants doc on the Network and it got me curious to see some of Andre's earlier work. I'm only really familiar with him in his 87-90 run in the WWF. I've mostly just seen clips from pre-1985.

Andre the Giant vs Stan Hansen- 9/23/1981- AJPW

This is the earliest non-clipped Andre match I've seen. Previously was from 1983 Mid-South. The crowd goes pretty crazy for Hansen but are in mostly silent awe of Andre. Andre is actually working heel here and my fuck could he move. He charges Hansen from the go, but Hansen fights back with some stiff elbows. Andre hits the corner and the whole ring bounces. It's kind of fucked seeing Hansen work from underneath as a babyface. Andre gets an armbar and some nasty headbutts. Andre misses charge to the corner and takes a nice bump to the apron for a quick hope spot. This is awsome seeing Andre working the arm like he's Arn Anderson or something. His heel expressions are totally different from his WWF run as he has some great villainous looks and taunts the crowd often. More badass and less of the laughing ogre type heel Andre here. Holy fuck Hansen slams the fuck out of Andre during the second comeback spot and Andre bumps like a champ. They brawl outside for a DCO but neither man will accept a draw so the match continues! Hansen charges and hits a stiff as FUCK knee. Andre counters with some equally nasty looking headbutts. Andre bumps out of the corner like Curt Hennig, damn. Back and fourth until Andre his back to the arm. LARIATO! Andre bounces off the apron to the floor, holy shit. Hahaha Andre gets frustrated and just lariats the shit out of the ref for the DQ. Huge brawl afterward with trainers and refs getting thrown all over the place. I need to further educate myself but this was so far the best Andre match I've seen, I'd go ****. It cut a crazy pace for two guys that size, stiff as hell all the way through. I liked the story of Hansen trying to hit big impact moves throughout the match, while Andre works the arm and tries to wear him down with his size. Andre doesn't change his strategy in time and falls victim to the Lariat, then purposely gets himself DQ'ed. Face Hansen vs heel Andre was a really fun dynamic and I'm looking forward to checking out more of Andre's stuff from the 70's and early 80's.