Pro Wrestling Only

Current British Wrestling

cheapshot

I'm actually really tempted by the RevPro show this weekend in Bethnal Green, got some top names on the bill, not bad for 20 quid. Can honestly say I'm not clued up on the current British product, would it be worth strolling along too? Anyone else going?

I'll be there. It's going to be an epic show. Attendance will be close to 1,000 apparently.

ProRev show I saw earlier in the year was a bit spotty for my tastes, Boon. I was considering going to this one to see Bret, but don't know if I can be bothered at this stage. Swords of Essex really aren't my scene at all. I really liked the Southside Wrestling card I went to, but all their dates are in Nottingham! Devitt vs. Ricochet sounds good on paper, but high flying has never been my thing. It's really tempting for 20 quid though.

If you're going to Rev Pro, I'd strongly suggest coming a day early and/or staying a day late. Lucha Britannia are running a show on the Friday night at the Resistence Gallery (a stone's throw from the York Hall), and a trainee show on Sunday afternoon. Ultimo Dragon is on the trainee show, both should be pretty great, though I believe the Friday show is close to a sell out. Lucha is an amazing night out, the main shows are a combination of great British wrestlers under wacky gimmicks, as well as some amazing cabaret and burlesque acts. The trainees for the most part are pretty damn good too, they have a fine school there and it makes for some real fun events.

Meant to pop in and say that Saturday's Rev Pro was one of the most fun wrestling shows I've ever been to. It was an absolute blast from start to finish. The crowd definitely made it, but all the wrestler's put in performances worthy of the atmosphere. It was a special night. Going to try and do a radio show with Andy and maybe one of the wrestlers over the next week, so I'll talk more about it then.

Here's a good review from Voices Of Wrestling:

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2013/10/2...13-reviewrecap/

I've noticed many loaded cards these past few months and in the near future. Do we have an up period for UK wrestling?

Loaded, as in imports?

I'd say this is one of the strongest periods for British Wrestling, but still, I won't go as far as to say British Wrestling will hit the mainstream. A lot of shows are drawing houses in excess of 800, and some, like Rev Pro are packing them in with 1500+ crowds, but the shows are loaded with imports.

I'd be interested to see what shows draw the most WITHOUT imports, I'd probably say ICW in Glasgow.

I suppose I'm biased as I was the photographer, but that Rev Pro show was one of the best shows I've been to in years, just completely loaded with great action. Smoked the (still very good) York Hall show from earlier in the year. Lucha on the Friday night was pretty great too, Cassandro's always fantastic to watch in person.

The flow of imports has definitely boosted attendances but I think the top tier uk workers are often as over . I think one potential consequence of the rise in overseas talent is the move towards a more generic international indie style rather than a more unique uk one I think the wrestlers who do integrate elements of the uk style stand out Zack Sabre etc.

The flow of imports has definitely boosted attendances but I think the top tier uk workers are often as over . I think one potential consequence of the rise in overseas talent is the move towards a more generic international indie style rather than a more unique uk one I think the wrestlers who do integrate elements of the uk style stand out Zack Sabre etc.

totally agree, British wrestling NEEDS to keep it's stylistic identity. I think that all starts with the training.

• 1 month later...

Nice to see Kris Travis (45) and El Ligero (47) in this years PS 50.

Here's the list in full:

1. Kazuchika Okada

2. Hiroshi Tanahashi

3. Daniel Bryan

4. Shinsuke Nakamura

5. Tomohiro Ishii

6. Randy Orton

7. CM Punk

8. Prince Devitt

9. Katsuyori Shibata

10. Kota Ibushi

11. Austin Aries

12. Shingo Takagi

13. Hirooki Goto

14. Bully Ray

15. Ricochet

16. Kurt Angle

17. Akira Tozawa

18. Masato Yoshino

19. CIMA

20. Seth Rollins

21. Minoru Suzuki

22. Tetsuya Naito

23. Naruki Doi

24. Bobby Roode

25. Matt Jackson

26. Nick Jackson

27. Kevin Steen

28. Dean Ambrose

29. Masato Tanaka

30. Antonio Cesaro

31. AJ Styles

32. Roman Reigns

33. Yuji Nagata

34. BxB Hulk

35. KENTA

36. Karl Anderson

37. Dolph Ziggler

38. Jeff Hardy

39. Alberto Del Rio

40. Michael Elgin

41. Brock Lesnar

42. Adam Cole

43. Davey Richards

44. Kenny Omega

45. Kris Travis

46. Jay Briscoe

47. El Ligero

48. Christopher Daniels

49. Sami Zayn

50. Cody Rhodes.

Devitt's just a lot high while Cesaro is a lot lower than he should be. I don't think it is possible to not have Cesaro in the top 10 this year. Also, DB > Okada and maybe Tanahashi.

Devitt has had a great year between moving to heavyweight and completely reinventing himself from uber vanilla babyface to crazy heel faction leader in fairness. With Devitt don't just focus on Japan as he took a lot of well received dates in the UK - where Powerslam is published. His placing is probably elevated due to the voting panel seeing him up close a lot this year. Also in the UK & Ireland has become the dude every indy wrestler and trainee looks up to now more than ever. Likely due to the character change making him more interesting, the WWE interest, more people watching New Japan and the reports of the pretty decent money he is on.

I'll buy it over the weekend and check out the reasoning behind the placings.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Preston city wrestling and Southside both put on amazing shows this weekend some real stand out performance from the usual guys like Travis , Kirby etc. Devitt was fantastic all weekend . Also impressed by some of younger guys like Tyler Bate whos is only 17 and all ready has pretty unique style and look, particularly loved his strong realistic selling . Be interested to know what people think of Will Ospreay and Mark Andrews their some times wacky hi flying won me over with some truly innovative sequences .Also a Special mention for Noam Dar, who didn't have any blow away matches this weekend but his crowd interaction and banter are truly first class and adds to him as a performer.

• 4 months later...