Pro Wrestling Only

Top 500 of the 90s In Progress

Loss

#422 - Double J rules 400s

If you want to get why I love early 90s Jeff Jarrett so much, watch this match. It's on the Network buried in the middle of one of the long Best of Global videos. Eddie Gilbert also puts on a master's class.

#416 - Need to rewatch this because always thought it was good not great. Love the middle finger psychology.

That was my favorite aspect of the match.

#412 - A Texas street fight in Japan? Love it!

You'll go crazy for this one, and you can trust me on that. It's also 11 minutes long, so it doesn't at all overstay its welcome.

#409 - Flair vs Savage, my two favorites in a great match, but don't let this fool you, the true violent classic is the Great American Bash '95 match, which I think would make my top ten US matches of the 90s. Criminally underrated.

I've gone back and forth on the Bash match. I thought it was better than WM8 the first time I saw it and not as good the second time. It's time for a tiebreaker.

#404 - I never got this match. Need a rewatch.

In short, it's a massacre.

#403 - Have not seen this in ten years. It is Jumbo vs Kobashi, my #3 and #1 wrestlers of all time and I should do myself and favor and rewatch.

I suspect this is a ***** match in full. I see it as a holy grail. The part that aired was awesome enough that I felt comfortable putting it here, even with only 10 minutes shown.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#395 - WOAH! Huge drop for this match. Expected this to be in top 200 from the initial rankings (top 20 in a loaded 1994) What happened?

Nothing really. Just that the difference between an original ****1/2 rating and a new **** rating is enough to move it down a few hundred spots on such a competitive list.

#393 - Never thought much of this match, which is a controversial opinion but have not seen it in like 6 years.

I think it's a great combination of action, blood, psychology, a finish that was a wow moment at the time and the best aspects of WWF theater. I would have gone higher if it felt a tad more epic, but I'm comfortable calling it a **** match.

#389 - Woah, no way I have this one over Wargames '94. This is a great match and a quintessential Southern Tag, but Wargames should be way higher.

I do like the War Games match, but not as much as most. As good as it is, it also feels like a match with some missed opportunities and unfortunate limitations. They did great within that framework, but there are certain expectations that come with War Games that I don't think were met. This match, on the other hand, is everything you'd want from a quintessential Southern tag. It didn't feel like it was missing anything.

#386 - Best RVD match ever? I think Bam Bam Bigelow & Furnas may have something to say about this.

I like those matches too, but I put this one above those pretty easily.

#382 - Liger was able to be pushed as a major draw in NXT in 2015 because of THIS MATCH! That's so impressive.

Just as a point of reference, every match below this one I have at ****. This is my first ****1/4 match. We're in 4.25 territory for a long, long time.

#378 - I am really glad this made the list. Sometimes I feel like I am the only who loves this match. This is a classic to me.

I have always defended the way this match was worked and always will. I don't even think it was just not the wrong choice. I actively think it was the right choice. I'm glad I have someone else on my side.

#377 - Love their 2001 classic in AJPW and 1996 in WAR, but need to see their 1999 NJPW match.

There are two '99 matches actually, and both are terrific.

#375 - This Manami Toyota seems pretty good at this wrestling thing.

She certainly is. She has a lot of flaws that are undeniable, but her body of work is equally undeniable. This is an atypical match for her in how it's worked, but more people tend to like it as a result.

#374 - I have seen a Bed of Nails Death Match before, I don't know about this one, Charles, I just don't know.

This is a late 70s madman match from New Japan Classics transported to BattlARTS in 1999.

#373 - I thought you were going to have this one higher. I need to see more NJPW heavies.

****1/4 is my star rating. There is another match between them I like more.

#369 - Dream match on paper, never seen it.

It's a handheld match. They go old school with it and get lots of time.

#362 - Love this match, I think it is one of Bret's masterpieces. HIGHER!

#364 is a really strong ranking. :)

#361 - Maybe it was this Hase/Hash match I expected you to be way high on.

I am. :)

#360 - Pretty damn high for this. Im with Parv, Kawada/Albright is great, but not exceptional.

I think the main reasons it's great are because it's a teaser of what could have been and it's Kawada stepping outside his comfort zone.

What Loss votes 287th as the best match of the 90s matters more than my Presidential Vote. That's a shoot, bruthas!

#300 - Not the famous match. Even the famous When Worlds Collide match always seemed like a very good match rather than a classic, but I need to watch lucha more closely.

#299 - Speaking of things I need to watch more closely...Joshi!

#298 - Sabu & 1-2-3 Kid die for our pleasure

#297 - Never seen this match surprisingly. I guess when I think about it I have really only seen the really, really famous juniors matches.

296 - Joshi with not very cool names boooooooooooo

#295 - I need to see more Kanemoto. Some people really like him, others seem indifferent.

#294 - Love this one! Been ten years though.

#293 - Toyota vs Hokuto sounds like a dream match

#292 - Toryumon Oh Lord I thought that was just something that plagues the 00s.

#291 - Always wanted to see this match cant find it.

#290 - Never seen Anjo should remedy that

#289 - This sounds juicy and brutal. Ikeda vs Otsuka

#288 - I was wondering how high you could go on this. I fucking loved this based on your review. Best Dudleys in ECW match ever. Really nice escalation, urgent and violent. Sucker for a flaming table.

#287 - This Superbowl of Wrestling sounds like a good show

#286 - This will probably one of the first Lucha matches I will watch.

$285 - Don't remember if I have seen this one...hmmmmm

#284 - I expected this to be higher, but actually seems about right.

#283 - First of the Tenryu/Hashimoto matches from 93/94 cant remember which one I liked the most. Hope one makes the Top 100.

#282 - Takada vs Fujiwara sounds excellent

#281 - Would have went lower. Very ballyhooed but does not do much for me. Austin runs out of ideas mid-match. Great beginning and end, so-so middle I would see this more in the 400s. Definitely great, not that great.

#280 - Need to see early Ogawa & Akiyama totally overlooked this.

#279 - Liked the two Volk Han matches I saw need to make time for more

#278 - Angel Azetca is a great name for a wrestler

#277 - On paper seemed right up my alley, I don't want to call it boring, but lacked a spark to make it truly memorable. Again something that I would have in my 400s. I gave it **** and that sounds right.

#276 - Dipping my toe in FMW waters, want to like Hayabusa because he looks cool but has not impressed

I don't think it's weird. ECW/AJPW seemed to have a loose talent exchange agreement with Sabu and Dreamer working some tours in AJPW while ECW later borrowed Doc/Gordy for a few matches. There's also a RVD/Sabu vs CanAm match from ECW that's a hella fun spotfest.

Election & personal life drama has distracted me from what matters in life, professional wrestling!

#275: I feel like Ive seen this, but don't remember it.

#274 - First sighting of Casas???

#273 - Toyota vs Kong seems like a good idea

#272 - Lots of Joshi

#271 - Been on the fence of OMEGA...sell me on it

#270 - Weirdly enough, Ive never seen this.

#269 - WOAH! WOAH! WOAH! You aint sneaking this one by me! This is a Top 100 match of the 90s brutha. Whats going on, here, brutha? Are you a part of this crazy Takada backlash?!?!?!? Say it aint so!

#268 - Heavy Metal is good at wrestling?

#267 - Love Machine is such a great wrestling name. So is Madonna's Boyfriend.

#266 - Along with the Roadies match, this is a Hogan match I really need to see

#265 - Really wanted to see this... but cant find it :(

#264 - Great match, haven't seen it in a couple years, but you cant go wrong with the 95 Carnival

#263 - Love the Steiners vs Mutoh & Hase great Dome fun.

#262 - Santo is popular in this set.

#261 - Toyota vs Dynamite sounds like a fun pairing.

#260 - More and more All Japan as we move up the rankings.

#259 - More Santo

#258 - Kong vs Bull sounds like a fun pairing

#257 - OH HELL YEAH!!! RWTL 99 Finals gets slept on but it was a badass match. Second to last great Stan Hansen match

#256 - OH HELL YEAH!!! Hashimoto vs Yamazaki have an amazing G-1 finals with Hashimoto selling magnificently but fighting like only he can.

#255 - Just watched this. Unimpressed. This is better than Vader/Takada?!?!?!?

#254 - Santo is the king of 275-250

#253 - Chiggy is a fun nickname

#252 - Need to see this.

#251 - OMEGA intrigues me

This is truly great work Loss. I do love a good list and this is something I can really get my teeth into as I have been looking for a re-watch project. Scanning over your list so far I see plenty of matches/hidden gems that either passed me by or demand closer inspection just from their ranking placement. I hope you find the time to do a podcast as a companion piece for this project.

I think I'm going to try to watch and/or rewatch all of these in your order (500 to 1). Sounds fun to me.

I was thinking of doing the same and certainly sounds like a lot of fun!

Charles is still ducking me! I might have to challenge him to a Dress Up Wild Fight Texas Bullrope match if he keeps this up!

#250 - Toyota is good

#249 - I really need to see Tenryu against the Holy Trinity (Hogan, Savage, and Flair)

#248 - Awesome match. I like it a slight bit better than the 99 Final so I agree with is.

#247 - I feel like I am the only one left who still prefers the Spring Stampede match, BUT this is an excellent brawl.

#246 - I know a Top 500 is a gargantuan undertaking but I feel like I would have really tried to get a Hash/Tenryu match in my Top 100. Still one left to go! Fingers crossed!

#245 - Seen quite a few of the 91 G-1 Climax matches have not seen this one.

#244 - I gave this match ***** when I just saw it. Push it to the moon. Definitely better than Bret vs Perfect

#243 - I agree this is better than SSlam '91 and it is a top 500, just weird seeing it above a Misawa/Akiyama vs Holy Demon Army match I love

#242 - UWFi vs NJPW baby! Need to see this.

#241 - Have not watched this in forever. I wonder if I watched all the Misawa/Akiyama vs Holy Demon Army that I would downgrade 11/28/97, but damn if I did not love that match. The one ranked here is 5/23/96

#240 - Bull vs Devil sounds good to me

#239 - There's Santo! He is like the Double J of the 200s

#238 - Fucking love this tag match. Mutoh/Chono vs Hase/Sasaki kill it. God if this is 238 really shows how deep the 90s are!

#237 - WAR vs UWFi need to see it

#236 - Regal vs Larry Z ruled!

#235 - Need to see more 90s BatBat, really enjoyed the 2008 revival

#234 - Bret vs Funk has been on the hitlist for years

#233 - Never seen this...on the road to the first Misawa babyface vs heel Kawada title defense

#232 - Dress Up Wild Fight Texas Death Match, Officially the greatest gimmick match name in history. It will never ever be topped. ***** and I have never seen a joshi match

#231 - Was looking for this, couldn't find it :(

#230 - Aja Kong is a King Legend

#229 - Tenryu vs Takada Oh Hell Yeah!

#228 - Toyota is killing it

#227 - Love All Japan to death, never seen a Johnny Ace match that needs to change

#226 - Brian Hildebrand tag match is what tag wrestling should be. Cowardly, dastardly heels and badass babyfaces.

What a great reference. Thank you for doing this.

A few thoughts ...

269. Nobuhiko Takada vs Super Vader (UWFI 8/18/94)

I second Superstar Sleeze's request. Interested because this got **** 3/4 during the yearbook so this is a monster drop.

230. Aja Kong vs Yumiko Hotta (AJW 1/24/94)

What a match. Would have made Top 50 for me easily. Next level brutality + classic storytelling.

168. Kiyoshi Tamura vs Volk Han (RINGS 9/26/97)

163. Kiyoshi Tamura vs Volk Han (RINGS 9/25/96)

Shocked at how low these are. Both are masterpieces in my eyes. I am probably the only one who thinks these are better than the 1/97 match.

133. Enforcers vs. Steamboat/Rhodes (WCW 11/19/91)

Big drop given the praise in the yearbook thread but still a strong ranking. One of the great US tags.

#100 - #51 is up! Sleaze, I hope to get back to you today on everything, especially #269.

http://placetobenation.com/countdown-top-500-matches-of-the-90s-100-51/

It hurts me in my heart that you had Hansen-Kobashi (and so much other great stuff) below that garbage joshi cage match.

It's funny, in a 180 degree contrast, I was disappointed the cage match missed the Top 50 by a whisker and finished below stuff like that, IMO, mediocre Hansen-Kawada brawl.

3 Tsuyoshi Kohsaka matches in the 100-51 range plus that Tamura match in the Top 50 show how great and underrated he is. Same for Yoshihisa Yamamoto.

#349 - Never even heard of these guys!

I don't think I've seen Maeda in any other matches. Kanehara never really stood out all that much, but does have some matches I like.

#348 - Loved Fujiwara in the 80s not seen anything besides that.

I think he was best in the early part of the decade, but there's stuff worth watching all the way through and likely beyond 1999.

#345 - LOVE THIS "MATCH"! Absolute great remake of the concession stand brawl. For my money, the better version.

I remember a PWI article about how needlessly violent this match was. "They were hitting each other with heavy refrigerator parts. Heavy refrigerator parts!"

#341 - Toyota vs Kong seems like a natural pairing

I think they both had better rivals, but their matches were reliably strong.

#340 - I have been meaning to watch this match for ages. It sounds like a barnburner.

I seemed to like it more than everyone else, but I would strongly go to bat for it. Everything you'd want from these four in the same match.

#339 - Never saw the match that predated the Finals, will have to check it out. Doc was so good in 94

It wasn't on the commercial release, but did air on TV.

#338 - 1995 Champions Carnival is the greatest tournament ever. The recent G-1 Climaxes don't come close.

I agree with this 100%.

#335 - Loved their 6/00 match, which I thought was a top 40 match of the decade, can imagine their 99 match is pretty sick.

One of the better juniors in a dome matches for sure.

#332 - Dandy in 1990 is a wrestler I need to see.

Yes.

#329 - I don't think I have seen this. A lot of All Japan Ive missed apparently

Jumbo at the end of the road.

#327 - I wonder who rules the this lower portion more, M-Pro or Jeff Jarrett

Michinoku Pro also rules the higher portion, as you will see.

#326 - Early 90s Liger is something I really need to check out.

Yes. This series was tremendous because it was atypical. Norio Honaga was a cheater with really basic offense. A sublime heel.

#295 - I need to see more Kanemoto. Some people really like him, others seem indifferent.

I'm a fan most of the time.

#289 - This sounds juicy and brutal. Ikeda vs Otsuka

This is a great match that's an awesome blend of styles. Lots of surprises.

#288 - I was wondering how high you could go on this. I fucking loved this based on your review. Best Dudleys in ECW match ever. Really nice escalation, urgent and violent. Sucker for a flaming table.

It sounds ridiculous to say this about a match with a flaming table, but this really was far more of a Mid South-style brawl than a typical ECW brawl full of props. This is one of the matches that surprised me the most in the decade.

#284 - I expected this to be higher, but actually seems about right.

I'm not nearly as high on this as a lot of people. They do a great job having a great match while keeping it really simple, but it still felt too underwhelming to go much higher.

#282 - Takada vs Fujiwara sounds excellent

Not even their best match against each other on this list. Stay tuned.

#281 - Would have went lower. Very ballyhooed but does not do much for me. Austin runs out of ideas mid-match. Great beginning and end, so-so middle I would see this more in the 400s. Definitely great, not that great.

I saw the repeated clotheslines as a theme more than Austin not knowing what offense to do. It was the great equalizer.

#277 - On paper seemed right up my alley, I don't want to call it boring, but lacked a spark to make it truly memorable. Again something that I would have in my 400s. I gave it **** and that sounds right.

I went 1/4* higher, which on a list like this makes a huge difference.

#276 - Dipping my toe in FMW waters, want to like Hayabusa because he looks cool but has not impressed

I seem to like Hayabusa way more than everyone here.

#274 - First sighting of Casas???

Definitely not the last.

#271 - Been on the fence of OMEGA...sell me on it

Lots of young wrestlers putting together pieces early. Total classic Southern-style tag formula matches are common, with more modern offense. Great crowds too.

#269 - WOAH! WOAH! WOAH! You aint sneaking this one by me! This is a Top 100 match of the 90s brutha. Whats going on, here, brutha? Are you a part of this crazy Takada backlash?!?!?!? Say it aint so!

I am in no way part of the Takada backlhas, as you will further see. Going from ****3/4 to ****1/4 on a rewatch dropped it some. I'll remind you that #269 is a really high rating of about 3500 matches, but the only thing that dropped it for me was that it all felt a bit abrupt. Great, really great even, but not quite at that all-time level for that reason.

#268 - Heavy Metal is good at wrestling?

Not really, but this match works.

#266 - Along with the Roadies match, this is a Hogan match I really need to see

Pretty sure this is my favorite Hogan match.

#265 - Really wanted to see this... but cant find it :(

It only aired on Samurai TV. Didn't even air on the regular weekly show.

#257 - OH HELL YEAH!!! RWTL 99 Finals gets slept on but it was a badass match. Second to last great Stan Hansen match

I really loved this.

#256 - OH HELL YEAH!!! Hashimoto vs Yamazaki have an amazing G-1 finals with Hashimoto selling magnificently but fighting like only he can.

They have other matches I like a lot too, but I think this is the best.

#255 - Just watched this. Unimpressed. This is better than Vader/Takada?!?!?!?

Yep. I'm a sucker for matches with a nice slow build that start with basic matwork like a side headlock before crescendoing to a series of hot nearfalls. And again, I seem to be the outlier around here on Hayabusa matches.

#251 - OMEGA intrigues me

You'll go crazy for this match in particular.

#249 - I really need to see Tenryu against the Holy Trinity (Hogan, Savage, and Flair)

And this match is Flair of old stuff against a quality opponent willing to sell big time for him.

#245 - Seen quite a few of the 91 G-1 Climax matches have not seen this one.

Part 1 of making the 3 Musketeers the top stars. Great match.

#244 - I gave this match ***** when I just saw it. Push it to the moon. Definitely better than Bret vs Perfect

I thought it was excellent, but didn't see it that way at all. Felt like a major stepdown from the previous year.

#240 - Bull vs Devil sounds good to me

To give this an analogy you would appreciate, this match is kinda like early 90s hair metal -- the bands that were still around putting out songs that hadn't yet gotten the memo.

#238 - Fucking love this tag match. Mutoh/Chono vs Hase/Sasaki kill it. God if this is 238 really shows how deep the 90s are!

You got it!

#234 - Bret vs Funk has been on the hitlist for years

You'll love it.

#232 - Dress Up Wild Fight Texas Death Match, Officially the greatest gimmick match name in history. It will never ever be topped. ***** and I have never seen a joshi match

They actually did dress up for it, wearing different attire than normal. It's still wrestling gear, but it's a bit more formal.