Pro Wrestling Only

Top 500 of the 90s In Progress

Loss

What a great reference. Thank you for doing this.

A few thoughts ...

269. Nobuhiko Takada vs Super Vader (UWFI 8/18/94)

I second Superstar Sleeze's request. Interested because this got **** 3/4 during the yearbook so this is a monster drop.

It went from ****3/4 to ****1/4. I suppose it is a notable difference. I explained in a previous response. Still love the match, just think I overrated it the first time.

230. Aja Kong vs Yumiko Hotta (AJW 1/24/94)

What a match. Would have made Top 50 for me easily. Next level brutality + classic storytelling.

168. Kiyoshi Tamura vs Volk Han (RING 9/26/97)

163. Kiyoshi Tamura vs Volk Han (RING 9/25/96)

Shocked at how low these are. Both are masterpieces in my eyes. I am probably the only one who thinks these are better than the 1/97 match.

I might give these yet another rewatch when this is all over. I originally watched the 1996 RINGS while getting accustomed to the style, so I probably undersold a lot of that stuff. In fact, I'd say that's probably true until maybe I got to 1990 for shoot style, which came after 1996, 1993, 1992, 1995 and 1994, in that order.

133. Enforcers vs. Steamboat/Rhodes (WCW 11/19/91)

Big drop given the praise in the yearbook thread but still a strong ranking. One of the great US tags.

Again, just ****3/4 to ****1/4 makes that big of a difference. I still absolutely love this match, but it loses a little something for Steamboat recovering so quickly after the hot tag.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#100 - #51 is up! Sleaze, I hope to get back to you today on everything, especially #269.

http://placetobenation.com/countdown-top-500-matches-of-the-90s-100-51/

It hurts me in my heart that you had Hansen-Kobashi (and so much other great stuff) below that garbage joshi cage match.

Yes, that cage match is wrestled in a garbage style, with weapons and brawling. :)

I'm shocked he had Hansen/Kobashi in the 60s as well. IIRC it was his MOTY after going through the '93 yearbook the first time (revised thoughts on that are probably on the board somewhere and I've just missed them).

I did. I've watched it probably 3x since then and I don't see it quite at that level anymore. Very close (I still have it at ****3/4) but I don't think they built to the finish enough, which took it down slightly for me.

Absolutely great work, Loss. As someone who's working their way (very slowly) through the Yearbooks, it's been great to go through and see what I remembered, what I'd forgotten, and what I have to look forward.

A fitting conclusion to an incredible project and lots of hard work from you (and others!) that has made you, personally, an index or encyclopedia for 90s wrestling.

Tamura/Yamamoto from '99 is probably the most acclaimed (among this circle of fans, anyway) match to ever happen that I still haven't seen. It's one of those matches that I kind of want to save for a special occasion before watching, which probably sounds dumb, but whatever. Right now I'm looking at getting hold of every RINGS show from of the 90s so I'll probably get to it in about six years.

Big fan of that #1 pick. I haven't seen it in about a decade and even then it was the clipped version that was floating about back then, but I love that I went through the top 50 and the closer it got to the end the more hypothetical #1s were falling until I had no idea what match would finish top. I should probably watch the newest version already.

By Promotion

AJPW - 94

NJPW - 59

WCW - 58

WWF - 43

AJW - 36

CMLL/EMLL - 30

RINGS - 17

UWFI - 16

FMW - 15

AAA - 14

BattlARTs - 13

Michinoku Pro - 13

Other Lucha - 12

Less Than Ten (in order):

JWP, Other Indy, USWA, ECW, SMW, ARSION, Co-Promoted, GAEA, LLPW, PWFG, WAR, SWS, BJW, UWF, Kingdom, Osaka Pro, OZ Academy, Toryumon

Still working my way through this

#225 - I have seen this a couple times. Thought it was great, not a classic. Just watched their horribly boring 2 out of three falls match from Fully Loaded. Working my way through 1998 RAWs, currently watching the one right before Summerslam 1998 so I am about to rewatch this.

#224 - 1996, Doc's last great year. Taue sounds like a great opponent for him.

#223 - Murakami is fucking great. I need to watch more Murakami.

#222 - Tenryu vs Takada feud needs to become a top priority for me.

#221 - I don't like Jazz, but a Jazz & Soul Street Fight could be good.

#220 - I need to get over my Johnny Ace-phobia

#219 - Has Ikeda taken Double J's place

#218 - M-Pro, I should watch their stuff

#217 - This is a match, Charles & I have always disagreed on. I think it is a fun offensive exhibition for Ultimo Dragon, but doesn't feel like a match.

#216 - Joshi is the best at naming things

#215 - Awesome, heat-seeking performance by HBK. Nice to see this, this high! Shawn was a heel's heel around this time.

#214 - Great vet vs rookie match, Akiyama had it from the get-go

#213 - See #216, Kawaski Crimson Conflict, so good

#212 - Hash vs Choshu sounds like a perfect 80s vs 90s match. Two rockstar badasses

#211 - Ishikawa vs Ikeda was awesome in 2005, would love to see them in the 90s.

#210 -See #214 & 216, The First & Last Dream

#209 - One of those great Baba tag league matches

#208 - Ishikawa & Ikeda on the same team!?!?!??!

#207 - One of those really unique All Japan matches that feels more 80s. Kawada and Taue kill each other in a bloody 80s style brawl.

#206 - Whats the story that set up this match? NJPW 1990 Ten Man Tag

#205 - Santo & Casas on the same team!??!?!

#204 - Just saw this and this is great. Akiyama targets the knee and Kobashi has to over come. I thought they did a great job transitioning from Akiyama's heat into a finish run and gradually leveling the playing field. Good use of draw to elevate Akiyama

#203 - Casas and Santo on opposite sides that makes sense

#202 Don't recognize these women

#201 - Chono's heel run is something I need to watch

Top 200, BAYBAY!!!

#200 - This sounds like the best ECW match ever! I want to see the angle that sets up Lawler/Dreamer

#199 - One of two Volk Han matches I have seen. Great shoot-style selling from Volk Han. I will never forget that double wristlock RIP on Yamamoto by Han. Bart Gunn just KNOCKED Godfather THE FUCK OUT with some wicked shoot punches! Bart Gunn, greatest shoot-stylist ever?

#198 - Never seen this. Definitely one of the first Lucha matches I would watch.

#197 - Way overrated. Good, not even great. I don't see whats special about this.

#196 - YES! Funk vs Sabu rules! Greatest ECW match ever, totally agree!

#195 - Cool pick! Super underrated. Really liked this when I watched this. Havent seen it in a while. Austin/Bret, Revenge of Taker

#194 - Bull in a chain match sounds good to me

#193 - Was looking for this, cant find it :(

#192 - Watching Gangrel's debut on RAW and damn that entrance is still cool as fuck. Toyota vs Kong sounds like a damn good match up to me.

#191 - LOVE this match! My favorite of the Sting/Vader series. I would have this in my Top 100 Greatest matches of all time! Perfect layout and pacing

#190 - Hyper Visual Fighting Tournament. Joshi promoters should name everything. I want to marry a Joshi wrestler just so she can name my child. Asuka, will you marry me? :)

#189 - Midget mania!!!

#188 - Never seen this AJPW six man that include my boy, Ogawa. Grandmaster Sexay in zebra print like Rat Boy just did the job to Gangrel.

#187 - Love Mr. Gannosuke, will need to see this

#186 - Like their WWF matches, I bet the matches in their home promotion would be even better.

#185 - A great Gary Albright match? Takada is a miracle worker

#184 - Ishikawa vs Greco was great in 2008 I would expect nothing less in 1998.

#183 - Excellent crowd heat for Canadian Stampede. Don't know I would have this quite this high, but a great spectacle and feel good for the Hart Family.

#182 - Fucking love this match. Kobashi's 1998 was amazing!!! Kobashi vs Taue crushed it this night. Not discussed enough.

#181 - Johnny Ace is killing it

#180 - Extreme J Night baby

#179 - I have never seen a Koshinaka match. Don't even know what he looks like.

#178 - Santo!

#177 - JOHNNY ACE! He is like the Double J of this set

#176- Never heard of these women.

We roll on as DOA vs Farooq & Scorpio is on my screen. This is not making the Top 500 of the 90s

#175 - Way overrated. Fun spotfest that Rey Rey, Psicosis, Dragon on the US Radar, but I did not think this was that super great.

#174 - Aja Kong sounds like something Id like.

#172 - NJPW vs M-Pro?!?!?!

#172 - Surprisingly I don't think I have seen this

#171 - Flair vs Bret 1 hour in Boston...how have I not seen this!!!

#170 - Need to see SMW!

#169 - You could argue this is the most important match ever. Misawa vs Jumbo. The match that started it all!

#168 - Han/Tamura, definitely need to see this

#167 - Atlantis vs Blue Panther sounds classic

#166 - Was holding out for Hash/Tenryu to make Top 100, but 90s are just that deep

#165 - Don't know who El Mariachi is

#164 - Fujita vs Frye has to be the most overachieving match of the 90s based on paper expectations

#163 - I have seen this Han/Tamura I, but didn't write up a review great match.

#162 - Liked this (Misawa/Kobashi, 10/97) didn't love it. Thought it was lacking a strong narrative

$161 - Boooooooo Joshi without a call Card Name

#160 - Maeda in a great match as late as 1998 surprise me

#159 - Have heard better Joshi card names. They are slipping

#158 - Oooooooo love me some Minoru Tanaka and Taka Michino-clue (best Lawler 98 joke ever) in BatBat sounds interesting

#157 - Rey Rey vs Juvy down in Mexico, def will be some of the first Lucha I check out.

#156 - Good place probably me to start to see if Kanemoto is great

#155 - More M-Pro. Kaientai is about to take on Val Venis is a gauntlet match. Wonder where that will land on the Top 500 countdown. :P

#154 - Women I don't recognize

#153 - Kobashi & Kikuchi vs Fuchi & Rat Boy, need to see this

#152 - This is a work?

#151 - Emilio Charles Jr is someone I have never watched, but I want to.

Awesome Top 500 Loss. The upper echelons of the list are obviously wall to wall classics. It's not until the mid 30's I could find successive matches I wouldn't rate as great. The depth is super strong as well. I was trying to find a run of 3 matches in a row I'd disagree with. It doesn't happen until the 190's. I'm consistently loving stuff through the top 300. When it gets into the 300's there's more variation. I'd probably add more supplemental matches when it gets into the late 400's.

The by promotion breakdown that Trav posted is interesting. Over the course of the 90's I would agree about the top 6 promotions being AJPW, NJPW, WCW, WWF, AJW & CMLL. In a different order.

I'm shocked at your #1. Not because it's a crazy choice, there are only a handful of matches from the decade I'd take over it. In your initial 1992 top 100 you only had it at #25. It is the greatest crowd in Pro Wrestling history. In terms of pure fun and enjoyment it may be the best match too.

It's amazing how little Tamura vs Yamamoto got discussed before this project. I'd never heard of it before the 1999 Yearbook got released. When you think how much love Tamura vs Kohsaka from a year earlier got. That and the miracle of Uematsu vs Tamura (no relation) have been the Puro revelations of the 90's for me. Great matches can only stay hidden from the hunters for so long!

#150 - One of the big finds of the Yearbook projects. Need to check out this Waltman match

#149 - Once I get through the big AAA stuff, Im coming for you, El Dandy

#148 - Mr. Gannosuke is awesome. He was great in one Hayabusa match, but Hayabusa was so-so. This is about a year after the one I saw, I'll check it out.

#147- Volk Han gives us a badass match for a Christmas present against Mitsuya Nagai

#146 - Ultimo Dragon is one of the rare wrestlers to have a Top 500 match in US, Japan and Mexico in the 90s

#145 - It is the last hurrah in the RWTL for Jumbo as he and Taue take on Misawa and Kawada

#144 - Hmmmmm maybe I should check out Santo before Dandy

#143 - Great draw. I agree the '95 draw is a smidge better

#142 - Lots of Luchadors. Hey Satanico in 1999!

#141 - The greatest heavyweight vs junior heavyweight match in not a David vs Goliath sense, but in a real technical sense of the challenges Liger has to face against the much bigger Hashimoto. Love this match!

#140 - Two luchadors I have never heard of. Need to educate myself

#139 - Misawa/Kawada is known for 6/3/94, but there is a lot more meat to the rivalry. Kawada is laser focused on the injured eye and this a compelling action packed match. Tough to say, but I think this would be higher for me.

#138 - Nice placement for Rumble '92. This is the only Rumble I have watched multiple times. A testament to Ric Flair's greatness and just how many wrestler's careers he has touched because with each entry, you are like oh shit that used to be Flair tag partner in Mid-Atlantic or Oh shit they sold out Dallas-Fort Worth area. Just a really cool match

#137 - The only Misawa/Kobashi vs Holy Demon Army match I have not watched 10/15/95

#136 - Tamura's 98 and 99 I need to see

#135 - Hey Octagon had a great match. Everybody seems to shit on him. Why?

#134 - I saw this last week, but have not written a review. Probably the greatest use of a heel ref ever. Mr Gannosuke and Masato Tanaka tore it down in a really fun match

#133 - WOAH! HOLY LOWBALL! Enforcers vs Steamboat/Dustin. What happened here? I would call this the perfect Southern tag.

#132 - Oh Hell Yeah!!! DDP killed it in 1998 and 1999. People don't talk enough about it. This match with Sting was the perfect Clash of the Titans. Something I am very high. Happy with such a high ranking.

# 131 - OH WHATTA DREAM RUSHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

#130 - I found this online, should be able to get to it sometime this week

#129 - MIDGET MADNESS!

#128 - An all time great firework, summer blockbuster spotfest. I don't think I would go quite this high. Lacked that narrative and selling

#127 - I honestly think the Sting/Vader trilogy would make my Top 100 of all time.

#126 - Santo, Casas and Dandy!

#125 - Shawn vs Razor II, awesome match. I have this as a Top Five WWF match of the decade. Finish is only thing holding it back. That's the problem in a lot of Shawn matches

#124 - I need to rewatch this. I thought this was outstanding dripping with all the emotion of Flair as a babyface in Charlotte recapturing the magic of 1983 one more time against the Mastadon, Vader. But some people don't like it. Hmmmmph.

#123 - Misawa/Kobashi pose a great question "What if Misawa had no elbow to make a comeback?" Unfortunately they don't answer it as it is business as usual down the stretch. A classic, but could have been so much more.

#122 - I known I have seen Liger vs Benoit but it was pre-2007, need to rewatch

#121 - M-Pro seems lke fun

#120 - Loved this match. Rewatched it and it lost some luster. The finish is still one of the best finishes of all time, but I thought the match lacked struggle overall.

#119 - LOVE THIS MATCH! I am like crazy super high on Doc/Misawa. I think this would make my top ten 90s AJPW matches if not my top 5. Misawa trying to contain the explosiveness of peak Doc is so dramatic and is a losing proposition.

#118 - An AJPW six man I need to revisit

#117 - Watched this recently definitely better than Kawada's first title victory. Kawada wrestles the majority of the match with a broken freakin arm after a freak accident off a routine Tiger Driver of all things. GANSO BOMB is still fucking crazy

#116 - Kong & Bison vs Bull & Grizzly. I don't know Joshi, but I think that's all you need to know. This is like Creature from the Black Lagoon &The Mummy taking on Dracula & Frankenstein.

#115 - THUNDERCATS HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#114 - Ishikawa vs Ikeda cant go wrong

#113 - I wish Bischoff brought the RINGS guys to WCW. Dusty Rhodes calling this action I would have been a riot. Everything would be an "uncler". Human pretzel making. The first RINGS match I have ever seen and I want to see more! That figure-4 Han applies in the beginning is amazing, loved the counter to the rear naked choke and then Han gets Koshaka to tap in a pretzel of his own making.

#112 - BatBat BayBay

#111 - Carnival '95 is tremendous watch it

#110 - So there is a good Hakushi match. I will need to check this out

#109 - NJPW juniors prove they can still deliver classics late in the decade

#108 - AJPW 1996 tag team action was so good. Need to revisit

#107 - Han in 1992 is that beginning of his Reign of Terror?

#106 - So close, yet so far! This would make my Top 100 greatest matches of all time and damn if it is not my favorite. Chicken soup for the Wrestling Fan's Soul.

#105 - I saw this once. I don't remember much, should give it another chance

#104 - I stopped my FMW exploration, need to give it another shot.

#103 - Ooooooo I may be eating my words about Gannosuke & Tanaka as best use of heel ref because Vince McMahon in Austin/Dude Love is great. I have been watching all the RAWs and May was really the peak of Austin/McMahon. This might be the match that finally gets me to sit down and make a list because I don't think I would have it this high, but maybe I would.

#102 - Atlantis vs Blue Panther in 91 didn't they just wrestle? Crazy.

#101 - I was going to blow this match off, but now that you ranked it number 101 I gotta watch it!

Been so busy, almost there...

#100 - What a lovely number 100. The height of Heel Eddie. Late 97 was a great time for US heels. Action-packed you forget how short this is because they really make every single second count. A worthy top 100 match.

#99 - '97 US keeps on rolling with the hits. Bret/Taker is great. Def need a rewatch of this remember it being awesome.

#98 - Ken Shamrock kicking it in Japan shoot-style against Sano. Shammy should have been huge in the US.

#97 - M-Pro, Baby

#96 - Greatest Benoit match ever? Either this or the one with Austin or one with Michaels? All very close. Is this the greatest Eddie match ever? I'd actually put Eddie/Rey from Havoc over this and probably Eddie/Brock. These are good questions.

#95 - Santo & Casas on the same team?!?!?!

#94 - This is going to sound weird I don't think I have ever really gotten this match. Always seemed great but not a classic. Love the MX, but thought their match with RnRs was better from that year. SWITCH!

#93 - M-Pro with Inoki

#92 - Joshi, but no fun names :(

#91 - More Joshi without fun names :(

#90 - RINGS!

#89 - KONNAN! In a top 100 match of the 90s will wonders ever cease?

#88 - Saw this recently liked it, didn't see the big deal. Standard great AJPW tag, but an upper echelon one for me.

#87 - Joshi without the fun names is bumming me out, man

#86 - RINGS! I feel like I don't watch enough wrestling

#85 - Been ages since I have seen the classic '92 six man

#84 - Already called Charles out on this rating for WM X Ladder match. Thought the rematch is superior. Great first match does not kick it into overdrive. Very influential!

#83 - Lame Joshi card name...Joshi letting me down

#82 - No Rope Barbed Wire Exploding Ring Time Bomb Death match thank you FMW for not letting me down

#81 - The pinnacle of Vince McMahon's vision of pro wrestling. Randy Savage vs Ultimate Warrior. An incredible narrative and the post-match is the most moving piece in pro wrestling history. Great ranking!

#80 - Joshi, pick it up!

#79 - Doc in 94, his match with Kawada. Classic!

#78 & # 77 - The exact same match twice?

#76 - Dragon vs Otani I know I have seen this, I know I love this, I may even have written a review, but I can only remember snippets. Need to rectify that!