Pro Wrestling Only

The Jim Cornette Experience

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I have begun the JCE boycott. In the MLW forum, 84% of the people who responded in a poll said that Alice was a detriment to the show. I have decided there are too many other podcasts I can listen to that I can skip out on the Cornette show.

I may have done a subsconscious boycott as well. I have 6-7 Cornette shows I have not listened to from the main feed and I don't think that I will catch up.

My issue with her is that she throws in stories of her own that are completely unwelcome. We listen to the show to hear Jim's stories, not hers. I don't mind her voice or her asking Jim questions or trying to keep the show moving along, it's when she throws in her opinions & stories that it gets a bit much. Bolin is funny but is more entertainment oriented than anything we might actually learn something from. Maybe Jim should go to bi-weekly if he has to fill time with stuff like this or maybe MLW is making him stretch content across 2 shows is the problem, maybe if there weren't a "drive-thru" we would get more wrestling questions on the main show?

More unwanted opinions from Alice this week. She intimates that WrestleMania was so highly praised due to "lowered expectations". Granted there are always complaints about the booking & WWE's idea of "building" matches sometimes has the inverse effect. But it seems like this year lots more people, myself included, had a lot more interest in the characters & intrigue in how things were going to go than in past years. And it sounds like the show delivered against those expectations. If the hardest of the hardcore fans with 30 years of following the industry are happy with it, who is she to act like it's being graded on a curve?

Still don't get the Alice hate. There was a fair number of people who were panicing over Mania from January until 6 weeks or so ago when we had to sit thru Bryan "The Dumpster" Drose being set up to be Cena's little buddy who is saved from the Wyatt's and Big Dave being the top face no matter what the crowd was saying, Then they were going to split the Sheild as the awesome matches were still ungoing with them in weekly 6 man action. So that stuff among other things.

I'm pretty shocked Corny doesn't have the Network and that he didn't bother with Mania. If nothing else, it would have made for easy show material, and he could be up to date if he has to discuss modern stuff elsewhere.

I don't mind Alice. But I find Kenny Bolin absolutely unfunny and a complete waste of time. Corny chatting old school wrestling and telling stories with a good guest is gold. Political rant, why not. But the bad comedy routine or chit chat about nothing, well, I can pass.

Bolin has grown on me, his stories are just so preposterous and hilarious, he's grown on me since he's not trying to sell a wrestling gimmick. Even so, once every 4-6 weeks is probably enough of him. If they theoretically replaced Alice with Bolin, to me then it would be unlistenable as then it would just be these 2 guys off in their own world talking about nothing relevant to wrestling past or present.

Corny shouldn't buy the network. He's from the old school where once you earned a certain spot in wrestling you shouldn't have to pay for anything wrestling related any longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Corny to me is MUCH better as a guest than a host. I don't know. I just can't get into the rants the same way when he's meant to be interpreted as the narrator and navigator of things.

It's like being the sober one stuck riding shotgun with a drunk driver. He's weaving and winding all over this gravel road - ranting, raving, and hollering about God knows what - until he eventually stumbles across a good point that makes ya nod your head, forget that you're on a wild ride to Hell, and go "Ohh yeah. Good point."

I find that I can listen to Corny here & there in doses, and hey. With the right guest? The guy gets it. But it's nothing nearly as consistent as Austin or even Jericho. They seem to get a firmer grasp on the hosting duties.

Corny to me is MUCH better as a guest than a host. I don't know. I just can't get into the rants the same way when he's meant to be interpreted as the narrator and navigator of things.

It's like being the sober one stuck riding shotgun with a drunk driver. He's weaving and winding all over this gravel road - ranting, raving, and hollering about God knows what - until he eventually stumbles across a good point that makes ya nod your head, forget that you're on a wild ride to Hell, and go "Ohh yeah. Good point."

I find that I can listen to Corny here & there in doses, and hey. With the right guest? The guy gets it. But it's nothing nearly as consistent as Austin or even Jericho. They seem to get a firmer grasp on the hosting duties.

I agree 100%.

Yup. Plus, as much as I like Corny and the old road stories, I just feel like he's got this REALLY polarizing personality. It's almost too much, and it's easy to see how it'd be extremely off-putting to a vast majority of listeners.

To that degree, there's always going to be a sense of disconnect that keeps him from reaching a broader audience otherwise. I mean, there's a sense of pride & respect that goes with having values, morals, and codes of ethics. But there's a fine line between sticking to your guns & just firing them point blank at people.

Take Austin for instance. Guy's plenty opinionated. And he's got a backbone about it. But he doesn't seem forceful. He's always open-minded and respectful. That's how a good host should come across. A guest can be as obnoxious or outspoken as he wants to be, but the host should always reel it back in and keep the conversation flowing. That's where I think Corny loses sight of things and loses out on offering a more enjoyable podcast.