Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV Oversaturation

Jimmy Redman

The issue isn't whether or not you can run an occasional squash, but rather you could run a show or shows where a bulk or the majority of the matches were squashes.

The issue of over saturation is a real one, but it will require a total different way of looking at things for that to change.

Yes you can say at points in the past WWE has had as much (or close to as much) tv, but there were major differences in the over all landscape, not the least of which was the fact that there was a direct competitor for much of the time period which not only drove innovation and risk taking, but also had the added benefit of being a place where talent could "rotate" to and from. There is also the fact that the Attitude Era was "early" in the wave of changes in t.v. wrestling. We are nearly twenty years in now, the model is old.

What I don't get is why the presentation and model hasn't moved on since the Attitude era -- or even just gone back to what it was before then. The WWF was set up for a ratings war in the late 90s. 2001 was over a decade ago. I don't get why they need star vs. star matches all the time, it's not like the wrestling fan has Nitro to turn to.

It's not just getting over finishers either, but whole gimmicks. Think of the role jobbers played in shit like getting over DiBiase's "$100 bill in the mouth" routine.

A star vs. star match should feel special. There should be a discernable difference between PPVs and RAWs. Guys in feuds should be kept apart for longer, not have these retarded showdowns during 20 minute promos and so on.

These were all criticisms of the product I made in 2003 -- everyone made those criticisms. They all still stand in 2013. Why? How? Does the criticism not still stand?

I think 2014 is going to be looked back on as a extremely important year in the history of Wrestling, due to the network launch and how the ripple effect of it influences other things within the business.

TNA organically downsizing too. Shedding the more expensive contracts for $300 per appearance types. TNA seems to be a much, much, much less of an alternative for WWE talent now. Which means bargaining power for WWE wrestlers is much lower. Couple that with change in pay structure moving from PPV and PPV payoffs to the WWE Network and good knows what royalty rate if at all.