WWE TV Rights Deal

cheapshot

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Latest rumor mill:

CNBC: WWE close to pinning down a new deal with NBCU

Variety: WWE Near New Deal to Keep ‘Raw,’ ‘SmackDown’ on USA Network, Syfy (EXCLUSIVE)

An article in Daily Variety by Marc Graser, who WWE often goes to to provide "exclusive" announcements first, said that WWE would stay with NBC Universal, with Raw on USA and Smackdown on Syfy.

No financial deals were announced past saying Wall Street analysts believed WWE was able to double its previous rights fees in the new contract. They said it is not clear how long the new deal is for.

It was believed yesterday that the WWE would make an announcement as early as late today that would be detailed regarding the contract, the rights fees, and perhaps other aspects of its changing business.

The Variety story said the new contract had not been signed, but should be completed shortly.

One of the key points is digital rights, such as how long WWE would have to wait before it could air new episodes of Raw and Smackdown on the network.

Another question not answered is if Smackdown would remain on Friday night, or be moved to Tuesday. Smackdown, Syfy's highest rated show, would be expected to do considerably better ratings on Tuesdays.

NBCU is doing its upfronts this afternoon at the Jacob Javits Center in New York. Because most of the WWE's top performers are in Europe, there is not a big WWE presence, but the Bella Twins are appearing.

Within the industry, from the start, the belief was that WWE would stay with NBCU, since NBCU had the rights to match any outside offer for the show.

It's not a signed deal, but it appears they've agreed in principle to stay with NBCU. Rebroadcast rights are a sticking point and terms aren't yet known. The "double" idea is being floated (as Wall Street Analysts), but there's a lot of wiggle rumor in that statement.

Are we rooting for WWE in this? It's interesting to watch everyone's reactions. I kind of am, and I don't really know why. Will it trickle down to the wrestlers who might be hurt by the shift to the network? Maybe? Probably not as much as it ought to. From what I understand, everyone's contracts are set up in a way that "TV DEAL" doesn't really impact things. Is it because it makes us feel more legitimate as fans? Do we think WWE will be able to do more products now and give us more content?

Are we rooting for WWE in this? It's interesting to watch everyone's reactions. I kind of am, and I don't really know why. Will it trickle down to the wrestlers who might be hurt by the shift to the network? Maybe? Probably not as much as it ought to. From what I understand, everyone's contracts are set up in a way that "TV DEAL" doesn't really impact things. Is it because it makes us feel more legitimate as fans? Do we think WWE will be able to do more products now and give us more content?

I've found myself rooting for WWE in this as something of a way to validate wrestling to my disinterested friends. For the people that don't care at all, its very mind blowing to them that WWE has the potential value it does.

How can they produce more content than they already do??

How can they produce more content than they already do??

Back in 2004 they used to have 7 hours of weekly content (Raw, Smackdown, Heat, Velocity, Confidential) along with the syndicated shows (Afterburn, Bottom Line, Experience). Now, they have 5 hours airing (Raw, Smackdown) plus an hour taped (Total Divas) plus international shows (Superstars, Main Event) and then taped content (NXT) and the recap shows.

I got the sense that they let the Main Event/ION deal run out on purpose. I don't think they made much $ off of that deal and ION hasn't shown the growth as a network that they expected when they made the deal. ME got the best ratings on ION for the most part, but putting it on the Network now is a much better strategy long term

My article for whatever it's worth: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2066067-breaking-down-wwes-new-tv-deal-and-its-fallout

I got the sense that they let the Main Event/ION deal run out on purpose. I don't think they made much $ off of that deal and ION hasn't shown the growth as a network that they expected when they made the deal. ME got the best ratings on ION for the most part, but putting it on the Network now is a much better strategy long term

I agree. Maybe Ion wasn't too keen, either, but it didn't make sense for either side anymore. With Flashpoint having ended its run a year and a half ago, Main Event has been the only original programming on Ion since then. It didn't fit with their slate of shows at all.

My article for whatever it's worth: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2066067-breaking-down-wwes-new-tv-deal-and-its-fallout

I agree. Maybe Ion wasn't too keen, either, but it didn't make sense for either side anymore. With Flashpoint having ended its run a year and a half ago, Main Event has been the only original programming on Ion since then. It didn't fit with their slate of shows at all.

Bix - need a correction:

Even with a more substantial increase, WWE would have looked bad by comparison because Major League Soccer's new TV deal was announced this week. In spite of miniscule ratings, they went from $18 million annually to $90 million in their new deal

It's actually $27.9M per year --> $90M per year.

Old: $10M NBC + $8M ESPN ($18M English Language) + $9.9M Univision = $27.9M

New: $75M ESPN/Fox (English Language) + $15M Univision = $90M

+417% English

+152% Spanish

+323% Overall

Of course it also covers a number of USMNT games, which is a major reason the English language price went up so much. Still that number has to floor Vince.

It's relevant because Vince was looking for a NASCAR Deal and got between an MLS/USMNT Deal and a NHL Deal: two jobber sports in this country.

I would categorize NHL and MLS as JTTS sports. Sure, they're staring at the lights for MLB and the NBA, and getting squashed by the NFL, but don't tell me they wouldn't hit their finishers on the Arena league and Major League Lacrosse.

It's relevant because Vince was looking for a NASCAR Deal and got between an MLS/USMNT Deal and a NHL Deal: two jobber sports in this country.

I would categorize NHL and MLS as JTTS sports. Sure, they're staring at the lights for MLB and the NBA, and getting squashed by the NFL, but don't tell me they wouldn't hit their finishers on the Arena league and Major League Lacrosse.

Arena League and Lacrosse aren't jobbers. They're backyard sports. ;)

• 3 months later...
NEW YORK, Aug. 27, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Levi & Korsinsky announces that a class action lawsuit has been commenced in the United States District Court for the District of Connecticut on behalf of investors who purchased World Wrestling Entertainment Inc. ("WWE" or the "Company") (WWE) common stock between October 31, 2013 and May 16, 2014.

The complaint alleges that throughout the Class Period defendants violated securities laws by failing to disclose the Company's true ability to command a premium fee in upcoming negotiations to renew its television license agreement.

On May 16, 2014, the Company disclosed that it had reached a multiyear deal with NBCUniversal for its television programs Raw and SmackDown, stating that the annual value of its television distribution agreements is expected to reach $200 million, far below investor expectation. On a May 19, 2014 earnings call, Chairman and CEO Vince McMahon stated "We were a little disappointed in our NBCU deal, quite frankly..."

If you suffered a loss in WWE you have until September 23, 2014 to request that the Court appoint you as lead plaintiff. Your ability to share in any recovery doesn't require that you serve as a lead plaintiff.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/shareh...5TkvUADCBXNyoA

So, I think that's the fourth (??) lawsuit.

There's Robbins Arroyo LLP class action lawsuit (filed 7/25/14). You can read the whole complaint (with the specific quotes that they're going after) here: http://www.classactionsnews.com/sites/default/files/wwe_complaint.pdf

Also Law Offices of Vincent Wong who filed a class action lawsuit who announced the lawsuit on 8/20/14.

And Alfred G. Yates which filed on 8/25/14.