Pro Wrestling Only
Loss

[1980-01-05-Portland] Buddy Rose & The Sheepherders & Sam Oliver Bass vs Stan Stasiak & Dutch Savage & Roddy Piper & Rick Martel

I love that Bass is called SOB. This was a long match of armwork and Buddy Rose bumping around. I'll never get 2/3 falls matches that only go 1 fall. Piper and Martel looked good along with Rose. The rest of the guys looked old or didn't do much. Weird seeing the Sheepherders with hair.

Lot of future stars in this match. Awesome fast exchange between Piper and Rose to start. Young, eager Piper is just electric, but soon he gets isolated and all the heels pile on him. When Piper tags out to the old guys Rose is off the charts feeding into their punches and flying high into the steel post like a cartoon character. A bunch of armlock work ensues and Stasiak is so rocking the armwringer and the crowd loves it! Savage had a nice high backdrop bump at one point. 2nd fall is much slower with the heels constantly interfering to break the faces momentum, building to Martel tagging in and getting a big run of early 80s spectacular offense before Roddy comes in again and just goes nuts on Rose with punches. Match may have been a little long but you gotta love Portland for getting people in a frenzy with a bunch of really simple armwringer work and a handful of bumps.

Amazing match here! The applying and selling of the pumphandle was great. Having Buddy go to the dressing room to come back with an elbow pad during the match was my moment. And every pin attempt by the faces getting ruined by one of the Sheepherders was also very neat. This is why I love Portland wrestling. And we get to see more Buddy vs Piper for sure! Great, great stuff.

The big payoff for me was getting a Rick Martel highstep after a hot tag. Great action here, and I agree that Piper, Rose, and Martel were the standouts. I kept expecting something to happen with Buddy and the elbow pad, like it was loaded or something.